Solo The Gifts of Hypnotism

In which Rosela goes after a big fish.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Gifts of Hypnotism

Postby Rosela on November 27th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Timestamp: 83rd of Autumn, 513AV

It was getting colder every day, and Rosela had taken to wearing her cloak every day. She was determined not to start wearing her winter outfits until the official change of the season. It felt like admitting weakness somehow, though many in the city knew she was from the desert and would likely not think twice of her acknowledging the cold weather earlier than most of the city.

She would not admit defeat however, and trudged on in her chiffon dress and boots. Her feet were warm at least, and so long as she was inside, she was fine. The movement between locations however... It was this train of thoughts that had persuaded her to stop at the Kulkukan Tavern. She'd just gotten off work and looked forward to a day off the next day. She'd still be at the shop, but at least she could be alone.

Pushing through the heavy doors, Rosela looked around the room, finding it disappointingly empty. It had a somber feel, as though the dark clouds outside had sucked the life from the room. Shrugging out of her cloak, she settled in a seat at the bar, close to the fireplace and away from anyone else. None of the men in the room seemed to catch her fancy, so she opted to just get a drink, warm up, and make it the rest of the way home.

The wine she chose was decent, and she remembered abruptly that she never found out what wine had been served at Beautyfest; she'd ended up liking it a great deal before the end of the night. The firelight danced inside the glass, turning the pale wine a rich amber color. Leaning her chin on one hand, she swirled the glass mesmerizingly in front of her. The repetitive action felt soothing and she timed her slow breaths with the swirl of the liquid. She felt herself descending into a meditative darkness before she even realized it, and for a moment, wondered if she should pull out of it. No one would notice if she stared off into nothingness for a while, would they?

There came the abrupt scrape of a barstool a few feet away and Rosela looked over in vague interest. The man who sat was an Akalak, older than many she'd ever seen, and dressed in what she knew was an expensive, personally tailored suit. It was understated though; she wondered if any but someone in the business of fabric would notice the fine wool, or how it matched the flow of his body perfectly. He was a lean man, but not in the frail way that human men seemed to get in their later years. As he lifted his hand to order an ale, she noticed the flash of two gold rings on his right hand. His left was obscured, but she had an intense curiosity as to how well he was ornamented. Fine suit and gold: this was a man of means.

He glanced her way innocently, and caught her looking. Instead of looking immediately away, both side allowed the stare to linger, and the man broke it with a smile. His wine came, and he lifted his glass to her before taking a small sip. Pleasantly surprised, Rosela lifted her own glass in return. On a whim, she brought up her red fog and swirled it between the pair of seats between them. ’She’s beautiful, sit next to her, no harm in a talk, she’s all alone, she wants me to come over…’ She was careful to keep the ideas platonic, as she didn’t want to drive off a married man with the sudden thoughts. His smile widened and when he stood slowly, Rosela turned slightly towards him. He was too old for her tastes, but it would be pleasant to mingle with someone of means for once.

"I couldn't help but notice..." His voice was low and gravelly, and as he came closer to the firelight, she could see the deep lines over his face. "That a beautiful woman is sitting by herself. Beauty deserves company to appreciate it. Do you mind if I join you?"

Slightly taken aback by his propriety, Rosela felt a short blush creep over her cheeks. "Of course, please." She indicated the seat next to her, opposite the fire. Part of her wanted him to sit on her other side, closer to the fire, so he would better be able to see her, but she was loathe to give up the warmth. "Thank you," she added belatedly.

"No thanks needed, my dear. My name is Preskon Lrodat. And you are?"

"Rosela, the Clothier. Pleasure to make your acquaintance." She reached a hand out and smiled when he pressed a sweet kiss to it.

"I assure you, the pleasure is all mine."

Last edited by Rosela on November 27th, 2013, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Gifts of Hypnotism

Postby Rosela on November 27th, 2013, 8:37 pm

"Do tell, are you the same lovely Eypharian that owns Red Diamond Fashions?"

"I am," Rosela had to stop herself from bouncing in her seat. Someone with so clearly expensive tastes knew of her shop? "I don't think I've ever seen you in though?" It was said partially as a joke; she could see perfectly well that he had a personal tailor.
"You know, I don't think I've ever thought about where the metals actually came from. Everyone talks about the gemstones, but...Hmm." She hummed in thought, taking a sip of her wine.

"People typically don't think about where the little things in their lives come from. Like your clothing, do you think anyone thinks about the type of stitches or the small design details that you put into them. My suit," He indicated the jacket with helpless hands. "I have no idea how you were able to tell it was of good wool. I just know what feels good to me, and that seems to always coincide with what costs the most." He gave a jovial laugh and raised his hand for another ale. "And another for the lady as well."

"Thank you," Rosela smiled at him as she finished her wine. She looked sidelong at him as she did, pulling in her fog for another brief insinuation. 'She doesn't care about money, she is of some means, she doesn't mind money...' She left it again simple and sweet, focusing more on the feeling that he was free to discuss his wealth with her.

It struck her suddenly that she didn't really know what her end game was. To gain him as a client? To have him endorse her store among the upper class? To get an expensive gift? For the moment, she just wanted to make him comfortable discussing his money with her. For what purpose, she hoped she discovered at some point in the conversation. If nothing else, it may be an exercise in her hypnotism. A risky exercise, yes, but she would gain valuable experience from this.

"The precious metals trade then, are there many traders like you in the city?" 'It's okay to talk about business, it's okay to talk about money...'

"There was once, many decades ago. There seemed to be a great vogue in the trade, but eventually they all gave it up." He smiled secretively, as though sharing an inside joke.

"They did? Why?" Rosela frowned in confusion, wondering why anyone would willingly give up a trade that was so clearly lucrative.

"I bought them out," he said simply, smiling as he took a draft from his ale.

"Bought them? That must-" She paused in her outburst, second-guessing herself. "That must have taken a tremendous amount of capital." It sounded less nosy to call it capital instead of mizas.

"Trust me, my dear, it did. Tens of thousands of mizas, and in one case, a solid hundred thousand and one of my vacation homes in Kenash."

Rosela was struck speechless. "I...that... Was it worth it?"

"Monopolies are always worth it, if you can get get away with it. The Council generally frowns on it, but they've never made a formal law against it. Remember that someday," He waved a finger at her in an oddly fatherly manner. "If you ever have trouble with an upstart, it's sometimes easier to simply buy them out than try and compete."

I'm not sure that would work with clothing..." She tilted her head in thought and swirled her glass. "Clothing is something that can be made at home, if one doesn't have enough money. Any mother can start selling baby clothes to her friends-"

"Which is why you need to make sure you are the best. No one can compete with your eye. Build your reputation to be the very best, and that will carry you."

"I am the best." She stated quietly, but firmly, meeting his eyes and seeing his satisfied smile. 'She is the best, she knows what she's doing and she is the best...' The projection was simple, but equally firm. She didn't know why, but she needed him to know as strongly as she did that she was the best and would be at the top, as he was in his own industry. He blinked in what could have been surprise, and, realizing it may have been too forceful, she turned to look sightlessly into her wineglass. She swirled it again, keeping her thoughts to herself this time, and wondering what she could do about the various clothing vendors in Zhongjie. Could she buy all of them out? Her quality was without compare, and she already had plans to expand, but it had never included creating a monopoly on Riverfall's fashion.

"I believe it. It is that attitude that will help you succeed more than anything else."

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Gifts of Hypnotism

Postby Rosela on November 27th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Clearing her throat, Rosela smiled up at him. They had once again migrated to talking about her. "So, how long ago was this? The dramatic takeover of Riverfall's precious metals industry?"

"Oh, probably before you were born, my dear. At least a century, maybe one and a half. When I was still young." He laughed again, draining his glass. The bartender was there to refill it immediately, as she did with Rosela's after a prompting nod from Preskon.

"You're only as old as you feel; that's what I tell the people in my shop. If you dress your age, you will look your age."

It garnered another laugh and Preskon slapped his knee. "Isn't that the truth. Wonderful advice."

"So tell me what it was like. You've taken over the industry; your rivals are vacationing in Kenash-" At this, he laughed again. "And you're at the head of your empire." There were a hundred ways he could answer, but Rosela only wanted to hear about one of them. 'Tell her about the money, it'll impress her, you should impress her with the money you've earned, she's young and fit and upcoming in her own industry, show her the riches you've amassed...' Taking care, she tried to project an air of taking her under his wing and showing her how his way had gone for him.

For a moment, she wondered if she'd been too forceful as he paused in answering her, giving her a long, albeit pleasant, look. "It was a wonderful time," he said slowly. "There was nothing I could not do. The mizas seemed to come by the barrel, which was good, as I'd spent most of my savings buying everyone out. I met the woman who would become my wife. We had my first son." A look of regret passed over his face, but it was gone before Rosela could act on it. "I had to grow my company: managers, undermanagers, men to simply push the paperwork around. It became tedious and less exciting, but the profits were there so it became worth it to let some of the control go away."

"You could stand it? To let other people do the work you knew you could do better yourself?" It was one of her own concerns with hiring others into her shop; she was trusting her reputation to others who may destroy it.

He seemed to know what she was thinking, and he nodded knowingly. "It's hard at first. And you will have to deal with mistakes, and screw-ups, and people trying to knock you off the top. But if nothing else, the pay is worth it."
"I'm afraid I have not. However, I have several daughters who are simply mad about your work."

"Really? Do tell them to mention you next time they're in."

His laugh had a hint of self-depreciation to it, further peaking Rosela's curiosity. "I'm not sure they remember I exist, let alone would think to mention me in reference to dresses."

"...Oh, I'm sorry." It came out awkwardly, as she wasn't sure how to respond to familial problems.

He waved off her apology with a tired hand. "Ah, it's the burden of a large family. Tell me, do you have family in Riverfall?"

"I'm afraid I don't. They're back in Ahnatep." She didn't want to talk about herself however, and thought quickly on how to move the subject towards his wealth. Asking about it indirectly was too uncouth... Unless she made him want to talk about it. "They have a very successful clothing business there," she continued, mind working quickly on various conversational tangents.

"Ah, it must run in the blood. I can't say a single designer has caused such a stir in Riverfall's fashionable circles in many years."

"I'm very flattered, thank you. Do you care for fashion much? I'm not sure how many would, but I can't help but notice your lovely suit. The wool is very fine; it must be wonderfully comfortable in this weather."

He barked a short laughed and took a sip of ale. "You know your business well, my dear. Yes, I've had a personal tailor for years."

"Personal? That must be quite expensive?" The fog of her mind descended quickly, as she'd practiced, and spread between them. 'It's not awkward to ask about money, she's in the business, she's genuinely interested...' She kept the thoughts as simple as possible, and instead focused her energy on projecting an atmosphere of smoothness, preemptively soothing any awkwardness.

"The man has been a family friend most of his life, and he knows how to make a suit." He shrugged helplessly, lifting his glass sardonically to her. "Ladies-wear, he leaves up to the professionals."

He didn't seem ruffled by her inquiry about money, which meant she had either been successful in her suggestions, or he honestly didn't care. She needed to go deeper though, meaning she'd likely have to change subjects. "I confess, I do prefer designing for women. Much more allowance for color and flamboyance. What is it you do?"

"I trade in precious metals." He paused to take another sip of his drink and Rosela matched him. "Gold, silver, copper, nearly anything we can't get here. The Coalinga Mines are full of gemstones, but without something to set them in..." He shrugged his shoulders with a smile. "That's where I come in."

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Gifts of Hypnotism

Postby Rosela on November 27th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Two bells went by and Rosela listened to Preskon talk about his business, chiming in with questions on occasion. The sky darkened into night outside, and people in the bar came, went, and didn't bother them.

"That much..." Rosela breathed in disbelief. If she didn't enjoy design so much, she was strongly considering getting into a trade like his. The red fog of her hypnotism hovered on the edge of her vision, as it had for much of the night. She wasn't continually implanting thoughts, but felt that maintaining the mood had been far more successful. 'Keep talking, she's interested in the business, keep talking...' The conversation may have not even needed it anymore, but the occasional steer in conversation had been helpful.

"It's gold. People have always paid for it. Even after the Valterrian, when the city was still being built, gold was still a status symbol. Silver too, though never as much."

"Sad thing though, some people really do look better in silver. All about the skin tone." Rosela sighed and sipped her wine. She'd been upgraded to a better type of wine, at Preskon's insistence. Despite the fact that he clearly knew much more about wine than she did, she didn't want to pursue that line of conversation. Maybe another day, but for now, she continued to fish for information on his life and business.

"Some people don't care what they look like, only that as soon as they're seen, everyone knows just how wealthy they are. Wealth is all appearance. Without peeking directly into a man's purse, or woman's," He added hastily. "To know how much he owns. Wealth must be projected if it is to be believed."

"And wealth creates...trust." Rosela mused, looking once again into her glass. "In businesses like ours, I suppose. A wealthy trader with a good reputation would be trusted more times than a poor trader with an equally good reputation."

"Not always...but yes. Showing your success makes people believe that you could do the same for them."

She only hummed in response, frowning into her glass. The idea was doubly so for her own business, something she'd always done instinctively. Dress well and with wealth, and people would trust that she knew how to dress them well and with wealth. "Sometimes I envy you Akalaks..." She sighed, the wine allowing her a moment of honesty.

This seemed to surprise Preskon and he paused in taking a drink. "Really? How so?"

"You have such long lives to build your empires... My life's already half over." Catching herself, she quickly threw out the thought, ’She’s a young woman, not so old, I’m much older than she is, she’s very young…’ The last thing she wanted was an old man agreeing that she was getting past her prime.

"Now, now, my dear..." He reached over to pat her shoulder, one of the few moments of physical contact in the night. "You’re hardly into your golden years yet. Besides, there's no winners in life, just those who enjoy the ride a little more."

"I suppose... But I'd like to enjoy it from a big house, with a good cook and velvet sheets."

"Please, my dear... Not velvet. Silk is far superior."

Rosela let out a high laugh and covered her mouth to stifle it. "Speaking from experience?"

"I'm afraid so. It was my wife's idea. Velvet it best left for trimmings, in my opinion. Take it from an old man: Silk."

Laughing again, she drained her glass. Like she had many times that night, she pushed the conversation once again away from herself. The wine in her blood suggested strongly to outright ask him how much he was worth, but her mind was no so hazy as to attempt something so bold.

OOCTo be continued in Part 2!

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Gifts of Hypnotism

Postby Taylani on November 30th, 2013, 3:31 am

XP Award!

Rosela:

XP Award:
  • +4 hypnotism
  • +3 business/Retail
  • +3 socialization

Lore:
  • Business: Sometimes it is easier to buy competitors out then to compete.
  • Hypnosis: Careful to not be too forceful.
  • Business: Wealthy trader of good repute trusted more than a poor trader of equal repute.

Notes:
Comments :
Thoroughly enjoyed this solo. Please feel free to PM me any concerns you’re your grade, and don’t forget to edit/delete your grade request..

TAYLANI
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)