Doorway to Chaos

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Miro on November 28th, 2013, 2:29 pm

40th day of Fall, 513 AV

Miro stood in his home with Ionu's Light gripped tight in hand. The sun had only just risen, and there was a cool mist about the air. Though it seemed like any other Ravokian morn, it was anything but. Today he would make a landmark achievement in his Reimancy. It was true what they said about Master Roknus in Sahova, but the undead would lie left and right about it. His pride would not allow it to go any other way. Those under the Sahovan Reimancer, they picked up at least one trick while trapped in his prison. Most "apprentices", if you could call them that, were killed within a week. Those who lived beyond that time sold themselves off to to be slave to another master, even if they knew not of the discipline.

But not the Chained One, for he could be called Malestrom's rival in power. Neither dared turn Djed against the other, though the tension between them could crack stone. There was at least one thing the wizard learned about the discipline of Reimancy in that time. It was of the element earth, customizing it. The wizard had been able to transmute three variations, rock, dirt and sand, but had not pushed himself to modify them. His earth was always the same tone as well, a pale brown, no matter the form it took. But he had witnessed the overgiven Nuit do things beyond anything he had ever attempted.

The then apprentice Reimancer had seen him create rocks of all sorts. Varied in composition, color, and best of all, their hardness. Though these variations for the wizard would be mostly cosmetic, for his rock was already plenty dense. What was truly amazing was something the too frightening to attempt. The Nuit hadn't cast anything that day, not that he held reserves on spending his Djed, the crazy bastard never did. But on this day, he seemed to focus himself on something, creating his Res in his palms, and seeming to condense it. This process went on for chimes, though the mass never left his hands. Though one could easily tell the spell was being cast, for the heave Djed filled atmosphere nipped at the skin.

When finally the time came to transmute, the signs of overgiving were apparent on the master. Ichorshot eyes that bled, trembling to the point of a contained seizure, and constant scream of pain that centered his mind. It was a sight to witness, for none of the apprentices had ever seen the master wizard struggle to cast, let alone his premiere spell for the day. When finally the transmutation happened, the overgiving intensified and manifested in a gruesome form. The flesh on his decaying arms tore itself asunder, and ichor shot outward and covered a rather unlucky apprentice. It was that same human apprentice that was killed then and there, becoming his new host. But what he created, when he finally beheld it, his demented laughter proved it was worth the torture.

A gem the size of a large human fist had fallen to the ground and landed with an impossibly loud thud. The other apprentices had backed away, but Miro walked forth and picked it up. It was much heavier than it looked, and absolutely gorgeous. Still until this day everything pales to its beauty. It was a gem composed of every color, shade and transparency one could imagine. The core of it was a crystalline white gem, and all colors revolved outward from there in bands. It appeared a diamond surrounded by various other gemstones, as if one were trying to fuse them all and create a perfect gem. And he may have, if he was willing to push himself all the way, make the ultimate sacrifice.

However not even Roknus Malestrom was that daft. Though he was damn close, that was for sure. The only thing that Miro would admit to learning from the Nuit was the risk that overgiving held for a master wizard, no matter the discipline. Though Reimancy was a prime example with its high Djed cost and powerful spells that require a sound mind. For this reason the undead was content with his earth, until now at least. He was positive he had surpassed the foolish Nuit in skill, just not in madness. With control over his power, he could produce a gemstone without destroying his body. The Reimancer poised his staff toward the ground and began to emit Res in as thick a form as he could manage.

The gelatinous Res began to pile on the ground and form a half-sphere. He continued to add more of the substance until the peak of the amount reached knee height. Now his focus changed, as did the shape of the substance. It perked up, becoming round, and the Reimancer began to focus all of his will and effort on compacting it. He thrust his staff down into the Res sphere and felt it push back against his will. However ever so gradually the mass became compacted, bit by bit. It was surprisingly strenuous, especially as the mass dwindled in size, but grew in density. It began to become even more tiring than producing the substance in the first place, but he could not turn back now.

A quarter-bell had passed by the time he had reached his destination size. It had condensed to a point where he began to feel the mass threatening to begin expansion, and his will was beginning to falter. Now was the time, he knew it, but would need to focus with all he had. Miro began to redirect the Djed flux from the pathways in his legs, redirecting the stream to his brain. Their strength flowed upwards through his core and charged his mind, filling it with a much needed sense of clarity. With it his will gained a form, and with this he began the initial step of transmutation. He imagined the center of the gem Roknus had made, the perfect diamond, its shape, feel, heft, and forced it upon his Res.

However the wizard failed to recognize any of his own symptoms. He thought nothing of the hallucination of cheers within his mind, like the crowd of the Akeldama Colosseum surrounded him. Nor did he notice the quivering of his staff in hand, or the long forgotten taste of blood in his mouth. Telltale signs, easily overlooked with his focus on the spell at hand. And even when pain rose in his core, it was suppressed, forgotten entirely. As such, it was surprising when his transmutation caused his skin to tear, much like the Sahovan Reimancer's had. Only in this instance it not nearly as severe, nor potentially fatal. His right forearm was split from the wrist to the elbow, down to the tendons within, as if he had attempted suicide.

The pain was enough to cause Miro to drop his staff and release the redirection of his Djed. It was likely that the increased mental capacity also increased the level at which he felt the pain. The initial shock of agonizing pain in his arm was met by a similarly devastating migraine, and quickly followed by a seizure. As his body shook wildly, he was oddly filled with a sense of euphoria, and also a feeling of millions of needles piercing his flesh all the way through. He began to mumble incoherently at the lights that danced into the form of people gathered about watching him convulse. He heard them laughing and clinking glasses, as if they were at some party. The strangest sensation though was how he felt as if he had been in this moment a thousand times before.

Ender as well took damage, his ice cracking in a webbing outward. A rather large circle of deep cracks formed, and the pain was beyond anything the Irylid had ever felt in his existence. Though the residents of Fyrden were not ones used to expressing pain and discomfort outwardly. And in his sealed state, could not even managed to release a scream. And truly did he wish to punish his master, who he so desperately hated in this moment, he could not bear to form words. Instead he watched a display of torture unlike any he had ever witnessed before. His master left helpless and writhing in an equal, if not more harsh, bout of suffering. It was enough to keep satiate his need for vengeance, at least for now.

And though the experience was one of the five most painful he could recount in his existence, he did not pass out, as he had during many of the former events. Being an undead, he was unable to be rendered unconscious by something as insignificant as pain, and held a full recollection of the events when the seizure stopped. Even after his body had settled, the pain hadn't subsided, and wouldn't for sometime. It was not often he damaged his body like this, but when he did, he was thankful to Uldr. The Chained One hadn't any blood to lose, and his body held a regenerative ability. And though he could not even bear to move his fingers now, eventually they would be restored to their former state.

Though what was odd was that even after gaining lucidity, the subtle conversation of nonexistent people continued. It was as if there was a gala on either side of his apartment, filled with Ravok's classiest citizens, all having the time of their life. They would talk, laugh, drink, even cheer on occasion. And for some odd reason, it was quite soothing. Though the wizard knew better, for he had never heard much more from said apartments than the loud moans of intercourse. And not the kind of pleasure cries a person of class makes, but the kind made by the lowliest dogs the city had to offer. Yet he did not fight the delusions.

For over a bell he remained sprawled out on the floor, lost within the pain and psychosis that echoed in his mind. However a large thud on the door snapped him from the state. Miro composed himself enough to attempt to stand up. First he shifted his weight forward and bent himself upward to a sitting position. As his arm dragged across the floor he whimpered in pain. The hard part would come next. He brought his legs in as close to his rump as he could and began to lean forward. He redirected the Djed from his arm, mainly the nerves that made up his forearm, and guided it to his legs and core. With the added strength he was able to stand again, but unable to answer the door. He released his redirection and cleared his throat.

"I can't get to the door right now, but please, I implore you to come in." With all of the agony, the Reimancer had forgotten why he had caused himself it in the first place. He looked down to see it, the fruit of his soul's labor. What he had birthed from his Djed was truly magnificent. A clear opalescent jewel able to rest within the palm of a man's hand. It was small enough it could easily be tucked into a pocket, but too large to be completely concealed by a single hand. Though it would easily be able to be clasped within two hands. Overall it was only about a fifth of the magnificent creation Master Malestrom had managed, but Miro's damages were not nearly as severe. He cringed at the thought of the things that passed through that overgiven brain of his rival master.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Rayage on November 29th, 2013, 10:55 am

Rayage’s time in Ravok had been less than satisfactory so far. His time had been filled with much reminiscence. It was here that the wizard started his second life, it was here that almost two hundred years ago he was shown what power really was. It was beyond that which even Master Miro knew, and it was that kind of power that Ray hoped to achieve again. Somehow, he would have to regain status in Ravok, play the politics, and the families. He would make himself akin to a court wizard for Rhysol, and then have all he needs to take the power he wants. It was a devious scheme, but something that would take lots of preparation, patience, and more importantly he could not make a mistake. A single mistake could oust him and his entire plan. He needed to play every single card right. Another game Ray hoped to play, to perfect, and eventually own to change the rules as he wished.

The first step however is getting a foot in the door. It seemed Miro had the right idea joining the Stryfe. However, Rayage was never one for physical combat. He was more of a man of science, thought, and creation. He and Miro were opposites to the core, and he found it humorous that they got along so well together. However, their relationship was strained, it was with a story that Ray hoped to rekindle and span this distance that he felt growing between them. Miro had accomplished so much, while Ray so little.

It was with this in mind that the nuit traveled to Miros place of residence. He had only been there once, but the route wasn’t too hard to navigate, especially with someone else driving the boat down the canals. The dark waters of Lake Ravok were more than welcoming for anyone in Ravok. The city itself has changed, despite Rhysols power. It only proved that the power of change was stronger than that of chaos.

When he found himself at the door, the nuit knocked, unsure if the master was even home. He hoped he was, for the nuit had something to get off his chest, something which had been eating away at him since his arrival. Waiting a moment, he heard a muffled response come from the other side to let himself in. Doing so, the nuit opened the door, and came in, closing the door after him.

”A fine day in Ravok it is and you are holed up in this small room.” the nuit greeted the other wizard, ”Surely there is something more interesting out there?” Rayage seemed unaware of the condition that Miro was in. He was too absorbed in his own self-pity needs to really examine the other wizard or the jewel which lay on the floor half-forgotten.

Taking a few steps in, the nuit invited himself to sit upon the other wizards bed, making himself comfortable with a small sigh, ”Talk of the beauty of Ravok is only part of the reason which I have come to see you today, Miro.” he told him, noting the jewel on the floor but making no mention of it as its origins were unknown to the nuit. Eyes traveling to Miro he smiled a small smile, almost an ashamed one, ”Ravok has changed.” Ray announced boldly, ”It is far different from what it was hundreds of years ago.”

His eyes shifted around the room, ”It is almost as if Rhysol is slowly losing control of his own city. A couple days ago when I visited the Temple, it too has changed. The architecture was different in some places than it was hundreds of years ago. I haven’t looked into the cause, but it wasn’t an evolution of ideas. The patchwork seemed exactly like that, patchwork, a restoration on a damaged piece.” The thought and realization sent shivers down the wizards spine, almost making his entire body twitch without meaning to.

”Ravok used to be something, but it is obviously declining. The hundreds of years which this place served as my home were some of the best years I have had since the Valterrian. Yet, I come back only to see this. Miro, it is disgusting.” The nuit clenched his chest as if his very heart was hurting, ”I want to restore Ravok to its former glory. Not just a restoration, but a complete transformation. It is obvious that the powers that be are self-destructive to Rhysols cause, and the chaos of the god is slowly eating away at the city instead of helping it thrive! Chaos begets change, and change infinite possibility, but the families, as they stand, are driving Ravok into the ground instead of letting it expand.”

”A new change needs to breathe fresh life into Ravok or the city itself will crumble.” The alchemist made his grim prediction, ”However, to change, one needs power. Rayage expertly blended one subject into the other, going from point to point in his head, ”And to gain power, one needs to play the game.” he smiled, ”Miro, I want to be back into the game.” he told him, ”And to bring forth the change needed to save Ravok, I need your help. Together we can do this. Together we can become something which Mizahar has not dreamed of!” He announced.

”In the past, I used to be somebody in Ravok. Qiao knew this, and it is why I was assigned the mission to capture Forus. However, my extended jaunt from Ravok has dissolved my previous political connections. I need to reestablish myself. In the past I had real power, Miro, power which not even you can fathom.” Rayages eyes seemed to cloud over, as if he was recalling the type of power he had and was lost with it, ”Though I was quickly reduced to this pitiful state.” That dreamy look the alchemist had disappeared as if it hadn’t existed in the first place, ”However, I hope to reclaim it, and when I do I hope to raise you to my level as well. I have told you since the beginning that Alchemy is the way to perfection. I will prove that to you, but first I need to regain my status lost.”

”Miro, will you help me save Ravok?” The alchemist sounded almost desperate.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Miro on December 1st, 2013, 1:07 am

The guest at the door was none other than Rayage, now in his new corpse vessel. He entered the room and ignored what was going on within, but this was great news for the Nuit. To be so animated, full of vigor, truly the new body had done him some good. He was back into his true form, and without doubt felt the call of Djed. He was seemingly happy, though most of it appeared to come from a dark place within the Alchemist's mind. This was good, for in the darkest minds the light of reason shone clearly. One's thoughts were not clouded by trivialities such as honor or compassion, only seeing the truth of desire.

The Reimancer was in too much pain to even begin to object. He knew that if he were ignored, he might lose it and snap. So patiently biding his time would serve him well. After all, he did love to see Rayage, and even more to be included in his misadventures. Though something excellent was coming forth from the ancient mind of the professor. Knowledge or Ravok in the way back when. A time apparently so different, so claimed to be that much greater. Rayage claimed that the city was in need, of change, restructuring, perfection. It sounded like the same ideal the Alchemist held for everything. Perfection through progressive transmutation. Such a beautiful song to sing.

Though Rayage had a point. With many of the rumors floating about, it was obvious there was a growing chaos that threatened to shake apart the institutions that Rhysol depended on. With organizations like the Rising Dawn and families out to slit the throat of their competition, the city was at ends with itself. Something needed to be done indeed. Who better to be an agent of change than the master wizards? The Nuit claimed they needed power and to play the game. Quite fortunate as this was what the Chained One had been doing for the past season. Even longer than that, though not quite in Ravok. It was still all quite inspiring.

The Alchemist needed Miro's help. Though the unspoken arrangement between the wizard, mutual benefit. The Reimancer would offer his help now, but there was a promise quickly attached. Together they could ascend Rayage to his former glory, and then the favor would be returned. The promise of power beyond what the Chained One had ever dreamed sold it. As if it had to be sold at all. Establishing an ally as a political powerhouse was its own reward. It sounded as if the Alchemist was promising perfection. A task and reward, as simple as anything could ever be. The only question was how hard he would sell his services.

Miro could not even use his hand, so maybe he would get compensation quicker than expected. It was best to just remain humble for now. To conscript the Nuit to be his hands until Lessomm returned would be the requirement to begin. "Yeah, of course, I will help you. You are my friend, my ally, almost like the father I never had. It would be my honor to restore you to your former glory. However we will need to work together to do this. Let us start with you realizing my current handicap. I have recently suffered from a slight bout of overgiving. As such, by some random and, I assure you, completely unforeseen consequence, I am without my arm. And for the day, I am without the ability to cast. You will ensure it does not hinder me."

The Reimancer gestured to the large diamond on the floor with his head. "You see that, it is a gem, a Reimantic gem. Diamond I believe. At least, that was what I was going for. Apparently I can do that, but not without my arm ripping apart. Pick it up and examine it for me. Don't be afraid to admire my work or give me praise either. Though I will not accept chastisement. Do with it what you will, but do not lose it. I am sorry to say, but I will not act today, but I will plan for you. Tomorrow we shall act. I do believe that the Institute of Higher Learning could have a spot for you. But you speak of furthering your craft, as I know you are itching to do."

Miro focused for a moment to gather the concentration needed to cast one final spell. He began to emit a small amount of Res from his back, just enough to wrap his wound. He willed the substance to push the split flesh together and surround it before transmuting it to ice. The cold was instantly soothing, and the pain was reduced. "Tomorrow we shall use our skills as Hypnotists to ensure that the Ebonstryfe take you as their new head Alchemical researcher. With your skills we shouldn't need but to have them give you a chance to show them. You are a master after all. However a little hypnosis was always good for making an impression."

"But first we should have a plan." The wizard walked towards his bed and sat down. "Rayage, get my staff for me, would you? Stand it up near the table." He pulled his feet up on the bed and rested his arm. "So what can you do professor? Do you have some new Alchemical formula floating around in your head, or do I have to con Rhysol. I generally do not approve, but acts of deceit are sometimes necessary as praise. As such is this case. The god will be very pleased to have you with him. Sahova does not need to know that Ravok will be supplying us with the power we desire." He hesitated for a moment, going silent. "I know what you are capable of friend. Just tell me what I can do and you can consider it done."

Miro thought for a moment on what he could provide for his ally. "With my badge I can get you access to the Institute without a problem. You will have my recommendation, and I am enrolled through my apprenticeship. If we can arrange a meeting, I can request a lab, and you can have access to whatever you need. Within reason of course. I can't promise they will pay for our materials, but it will be worth it." He thought for a moment back to where Rayage was in his research before Qiao had called him away and then sent him away. It was something about plant Alchemy. Modifying plant life to grow custom materials he remembered to be the purpose.

"I expect that we won't very much time or very many resources. It is a shame, because I believe your technique for Alchemical plants was marvelous. I would love to harvest the results for myself, if somehow you could create a perfectly designed material. Even one with magical properties. Though I do not know the limits or capabilities of your discipline, so I can only spout nonsensical dreams at you. But if I am not mistaken, those types of thoughts are necessary to master the magic." The Chained One grew a devilish grin. "Truly Master Rayage, I am dying to see what you can come up with. There is no limit to what you can do with Rhysol to back you."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Rayage on December 1st, 2013, 10:58 am

A sense of pride bubbled up in the wizard, along with a deep and profound smile, when Miro told him that he would not only help him, but called him the father he never had. To give birth to such a wizard, Miros real father would have been quite the magician, Rayage would have to imagine. The nuit mustn’t betray the others trust, and he had worked hard, so far, in avoiding that. They had worked together and shared magical knowledge and experience openly and freely, something which was uncommon among wizards. Most guarded their secrets jealously, but if both can benefit, then why not?

However, the wizard frowned when Miro mentioned overgiving. Ray had worked hard in telling the boy how to avoid such things, and the severity of the situation came to mind. How much damage had been done? From the initial conversation his mind didn’t seem very different; however there were wizards able to hide such signs. Though there was something a wizard could not hide, and that was their aura. For now, Rayage will observe and tread carefully. Miro seemed way too relaxed about the experience he had just had.

His mind was guided to the rock on the floor. The wizard said it was a Reimantic gem. Did that mean that Miro had created it with reimancy? Rayage had no idea that Reimancy had such power, but having been just initiated he was sure there were many secrets to the art which he did not know. Perhaps he had been too fast to judge calling Reimancy ‘barbaric’. Though the tone which Miro spoke to him made the frown deepen. He would not accept chastisement? He really was a fool. There was a lot which Rayage wanted to say to the youth right now, but he held it back.

Biting his tongue he picked up the gem and examined it. He smiled as it fit all too nicely into his palm. The gem was absolutely beautiful, and Rays eyes widened a bit as he looked upon the glory which the master had created. ”Miro…” his voice was but a whisper, for the first time the master alchemist was at a loss for words. ”You actually created this?” the question was a pointless one. The wizard just got done explaining that he had, but to hold it was different than seeing it. In all his time, such a power he was blind to.

He rolled the gem over in his hand and smiled. It was magnificent, but it also had a strange feel to it. The gem was almost alive with power. It buzzed in his hand, pulsed with a sort of power. He knew the other wizards words to be true, and that made the feat all the more spectacular. Clenching it in his hand, it was smooth, and beautiful, a labor of the soul, and what a price his fellow wizard paid to make such a gem! It was something to treasure and that was what Rayage as going to do. All doubt was washed from his mind that Miro was the greatest Reimancer on Mizahar. There was nothing to contest now, just fact. He had created diamond! Not only that, but the gem was so strongly and obviously magical that it radiated with an energy that any wizard could feel. It was simply marvelous.

Though Miro hardly gave him enough time to take it all in the wizard focused on the conversation instead of the stone, ”New Head Alchemical Researcher?” Rayage mused the title, ”With my skills, Miro, nothing less shall be acceptable. However,” the nuit put a finger in the air, ”we do not need to push for that position. Instead, I’d like to get my foot in the door. With my products, my magic, my form of perfection, they shall say enough to make a lasting impression.” The nuit smiled at the dark thoughts which constantly plagued his head. He had long since given up combating them. Instead he smiled at them, embracing them, as each thought, just like each and everyone’s opinion, was special and deserved some kind of recognition. Sometimes, no, most of the time, the darkness inside people’s hearts is right. Especially the darkness within Ray…

”Miro, that sounds wonderful.” he nodded in approval at the boys plan to get him in the institute. ”You may not know this, but once upon a time, long gone, I was a citizen of Ravok, honor bound to Rhysol and the city itself. I do wonder if my citizenship holds valid to this day?” he mused at the idea, but he knew no average citizen could gain access to the Institute.

”Ah yes, the modifying of plants through the use of magic. A splendid brainchild, indeed.” he sounded joyous to remember his observations on what little work he had accomplished in Sahova before he was set off to capture this Forus wizard, ”Even I do not know what Alchemy is truly capiable of. Miro, my boy, to truly find the limits of a magic, you must be willing to go to the very edge…” he paused looking Miro in the eyes, ”And then JUMP.” he yelled the last word, ”Into the darkness… and in that darkness of the unknown you will find one of two things. The first being a light. The second being oblivion.” he ended in that eerie tone, ”I have found my edge, but I do not think this darkness will lead to oblivion. Merely I will find a new edge.”

It was then that the wizard looked down in his palm and smiled for he had an idea. ”Miro, I might request you assistance once more. How many of these do you think you can create?” he asked, holding the stone humming with personal power up to the wizard. ”Not today, but perhaps with a days rest?” he inquired, ”If this is indeed diamond, then…” the wizards thoughts were racing, as a new formula came to mind. The darkness churned within him and he smiled, laughing, ”Its perfect! Why wouldn’t you make a sword of diamond?” he asked Miro, ”It is extremely hard, but very brittle. If hit in the right spot, the diamond will crack, shatter. The diamond is a reminder that pure strength, durability, is not everything. For if you put all your eggs in one basket, much like this stone here, you will end up… well you know that saying.” the nuit smiled, he almost wanted to hug the boy-wizard, but didn’t.

This boy, with his reimancy… he could make them a legend! ”Miro, I want you to help me create one of the strongest alloys ever to exist. It shall rival the Isur’s steel itself!” the alchemist announced boldly, ”What do you say? How about creating diamond-like steel? Its perfect.” he exclaimed, ”Diamond is hard, but brittle, and steel isn’t that hard, but it sure isn’t brittle. One makes up where the other lacks…” He was trying to explain his thought process to Miro, but the darkness kept on throwing things out in his mind. It was too much, and it would be simpler to just demonstrate.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Miro on December 2nd, 2013, 7:20 am

Rayage picked up the diamond, but not the staff. It was annoying, as it was also apparent he wished to scold the Reimancer for allowing himself to overgive. It was clear from the scowl and furled brow that only happened when the egotistical bastard had to bite his tongue. Not that Miro was upset, just understandably tense. Though tense would be an undersell, for it was not often that a wizard had his arm tear and he just shrugged it off. Two years ago this would have caused him permanent physical damage, and he would refuse to act so rashly again. However in this instance it was only a severe irritation, especially when coupled with his antisocial disposition growing.

Though he was tormented by the pain, he could still read the Nuit as if he was using Auristics to scan his emotions. The way he spoke, his body language, the presence the man emitted, it was more than enough. Yet again the undead allowed his companion to speak, and it was indeed well spoken, though not received as well as it should be. Overgiving had a way of clouding one's eyes, usually with blood and rage. "Yes, of course, I created that Rayage. And before you forget to stop yourself, it was my first spell of the day. I was careful, as careful as one can be, but the spell is very powerful. Creating something new is always more taxing, but this is truly my greatest Reimantic creation. Even masters will fall to overgiving when creating elements of this magnitude."

The undead began to tremble and lose composure. He slipped and yelled at the Nuit. "And pick up my damn staff as I have commanded!" the outburst was quickly followed by a despairing groan, finally able to realize the state of his condition. He did not mean to offend, but his help came at a cost. Today the Alchemist would assist his injured friend. "I also demand some of your wrappings. I know you Nuit need to keep your body tended to, and that under those clothes your skin is covered in linen cloth. Probably treated in some solution to keep your nasty corpse from decaying. You will treat my arm using it. Close the wound up and ensure it stays that way." What did the wizard have to say about the speech again?

"Oh, yes, of course I was going to, right. You, Rayage, come here. Now, c'mon, I know your slow, but I haven't the patience to wait." He beckoned with his head again. And as he spoke his voice was soft and gentle. "C'mere, I don't want to have to speak up." Though that did not mean he wouldn't. When the corpse had come near, he continued to speak, his voice louder than ever. "I will create your damn Alchemy for you Rayage, and you will finally acknowledge me for what I am. Your master, the highest authority on Reimancy, if not personal magic as a whole. Your superior in all things related to the discipline of the soul. I may seem like a child to you, even your child, but I am not. I am a well matured professional wizard. You will do your best not to forget this."

Bloodlust poured over from Ender. The familiar had been quiet until not, seething in hatred for his nemesis. He so hated the corpse walker Rayage. Long ago the Irylid had promised to kill end his foe using his magic. Though since then the relationship between master and Familiar had created a level of trust. The Summon still wished to kill, he just kept such things to himself, and eventually they were forgotten. But for now he could not resist. "I would smite this fool now were it not for the risk to damaging ourselves. However Rayage has learned that he should fear me, and does not need to know I will not cast. Perhaps I might scare him, if you would assist me, master."

The Irylid returned to his natural state and moved toward Rayage and snapped himself onto the Nuit's wrist in his sealed form. "Warn him of me. Let him know the fate that awaits him if he should fail to comply to your every whim and desire." To this Miro could not help but agree and grinned maliciously. His words both began and ended with a bout of laughter. "Rayage, watch Ender now, he is still not happy with you. Not happy with your return, though he assured me you were none the wiser. He claims if you are not a faithful servant to his master on this day, and you disrespect me, he will kill you. He threatened me even, claiming he would overgive us further if I did not comply."

The wizard was eager to be taken care of and served. Even though it was something that he had come to expect every day. This would be especially sweet however, for it would be a master Alchemist doing the serving. One who had lived through the Valterrian, a great man with boundless pride. "Though you needn't worry, for everything will pay off. Once you have taken care of me for a day, the next I shall take care of you. My connections and magic will see that you are established under Rhysol and on your way back to the top." He looked down at his arm and smirked. "Now how about we tend to these injuries." The Ice Reaver struggled to hold his arm out and shed his icy cast as he looked away. "Take care of me, dear friend, I can not bear the agony any longer."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Rayage on December 29th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Rayage listened to the wizard, passively, face unchanging. It was the first he had cast today, and yet the boy still overgave? To create such a thing took so much power. This creation in his hand, this stone, this diamond took so much control over the elements that it made even this Reimancer overgive. Clenching it, he let his arms fall to either side, foolishly allowing himself to relax even though the nuit was not sure of the child’s mental state. He could have gone insane from his trauma, and…

Then the nuit jumped, albeit a slower, delayed reaction that looked rather odd for the wizard. His layers of confidence being broke through like thin paper in the presence of a potentially insane wizard. It unnerved him; the wizards raised voice and command. To spare himself any of Miros wrath Rayage quickly, or as quickly as a nuit could, went and retrieved Miro’s staff. Picking the white pillar up, gripping it in his other hand, unoccupied by the reimantic crystal. The nuit could not be more careful in this situation, and it was wiser to listen more carefully to the other. Rayage did not want to be a cautionary tale, told about the dangers of overgiven mages.

As the wizard mentioned the bandages which Rayage used to keep his body ‘fresher’, the nuit looked at one of his arms almost contemplating if he should do it or not. A calculation was going through his mind, but in the end Ray just wanted to defuse a potentially dangerous situation, nodding, ”As you wish,” There was a hint of resentment in his voice as he said those words. His pride as an Alchemist bent to sustain his life, to help this now bratty child. Though this was playing the game, and it was a part of his alchemical journey to perfection. He saw this as a sign, a need to be more humble, and then swallowed the rest of his pride. This direction was the one which Change directed for him, and he needed not just to play the part, but embrace it. This would be a lesson in humility.

The next thing was a little hard to take. Coming as the other wizard bid, Rayage found himself frowning as he heard what Miro said next. Was he treating the boy too much like a child? Thinking about his actions, this sort of brief reflection, made him nod as he even leaned in slightly to better hear with Miro had to say, even though the boy’s voice was raised.

”Understood,” the immortal said becoming more cold and detached as he mentally wrestled with the emotions building inside him. There was his pride, and then there was humility, there was rage, but then a knowing of acceptance. There was caution, worry, concern, but also a realization that even if there was damage done to Miro there was hardly anything he could do to fix him. His mind was whirling, and that only deepened his more detached mood.

Then the ice shackle formed on his wrist, and a warning was issued. The nuit took it with a nod. This was not a powerless situation, but Ray merely saw it as a trade: his services for today, reimantic crystal tomorrow. However, he hoped that Miro would be more cautious in the coming days; else far worse could come to the wizard. Rayage frowned at the possibilities, not yet taking possible insanity out of the picture.

Kneeling by the edge of the bed the nuit gently took Miro’s arm in his own grasp; one hand placed at his wrist, holding it steady while the other one pushed the robe up the wizards arm revealing that the gash started at the wrist, and went all the way to the elbow. It was almost like his arm exploded from the inside out. Frowning at the damage Rayage thought he could see the bone from the gash. However, one thing was rather odd. There was no blood, no ichor. There was a higher power binding his soul to the body, ”Uldr…” the nuit whispered to himself. It was no secret between the two that Miro was, in fact, a Chained One. Though Rayage had never seen the power up close, as it was the pure power of the god binding the soul to this body. Much unlike his nuit self, bound by ichor.

Seeing the wound in its entirety made Rayage cringe, as Miro must be in such pain. Suddenly the nuit was able to forgive the moodiness of the other, as it was only natural that someone or something in pain lashes out. Rayage had found that out throughout the years of studying life. It saddened him seeing the wizard this way. After all was said and done, Rayage perhaps did feel a sort of kinship for Miro, viewing him as a child. His child.

Letting go of Miros arm the Alchemist rolled up his own cloak on his left arm, pulled up the clothes covering the limb revealing the wrappings that Miro had mentioned. Carefully he began to unwrap it, and as it was being unwrapped the smell of decay became even more apparent, but thanks to the magical ring no decay was shown. It would be quite an odd situation, all things considered.

Taking the wrap, Rayage once again grasped Miros arm gently, and placed the beginning of the linen cloth at the others wrist.

”This may hurt a little,” Rayage said, looking up from his work at Miros face, the nuit gave the kid a grimacing smile before he made his first wrap, all the way around the base of the wrist. Looking down now at his work Rayage worked carefully, slowly bringing the material over and under the arm, wrapping in tight loops. The work was slow as the bandage was long, the coils overlapping each other almost entirely, hardly any progress being made with each circle around the limb. However, this was how Rayage always wrapped himself, in a thick layer of linen to prevent the stench of decay, or to lessen the stench at least. The linen itself smelled of an odd mixture of death and perfume, the fragrance like a mix of sunflower and lilies, light but there, warm…

”Please, bear with this a little longer,” the nuit informed him when he was halfway up the forearm, the gash halfway concealed. Rayage knew he was taking quite some time to do this, but he was working carefully, diligently, but there was more than just wrapping the wound to put it out of sight that the undead wished to accomplish. He wanted to peek at the aura, in hopes of confirming any of his suspicions.

This entire time the wizard had been focusing on not only the bandaging of the arm, but also the arm itself. Focused, and determined, Ray thought he had worked up enough concentration to accurately view the aura of the wizard. This time, with a focus on the wound itself, and with another circle of the linen around the arm, the nuit began concentrating not only his focus but also his djed.

Another wrap, and another wrap, another circle and the process would begin anew with each successive trip. It was almost meditative, this process, and Rayage was indeed using it to focus his endeavors. His life was on the line, after all. Who wouldn’t give their best? Especially when Miro was prone to more damage because of a familiar’s selfishness...

More and more djed was consumed and as the sacrifice was paid the aura came into view. A deep and commanding red came into view, but around the wound was a deeper red and it throbbed. A touch every time the linen wrapped the arm, Rayage’s hand brushed the deeper red aura; the nuit could almost feel the pain within Miro. The experience was shocking, but a sobering realization that this is but a small fraction of what the other is feeling. The red swirled and the pulsing of the aura seemed to subside as the linen was wrapped over it. Notably the pain in the nuits hand decreased as well. The aura was more peaceful and subdued by the wrap.

Though the wrap had no magical properties to it, it was still curious to observe. The aura was a direct representation of what the person was and the deeper you look, the more of a clear picture you will get of the person. The aura is a reflection of the self, and so it is not the wrap, but it is the wrap at the same time. Rayage smiled at this realization that Miro was feeling comforted by this act, and it made doing this for the wizard that much easier to swallow. No matter what the kid says, he will always want someone there to take care of him, just like a child. Though Rayage wouldn’t dare speak his thoughts or observations out loud, but he did dare to take a moment to glance up at his look to see a pair of eager eyes staring down at him, watching him intently, and focused on both the nuit and how he was wrapping the arm.

With the glance stolen, not a word said, the nuit returned to his work wrapping his arm and viewing the arua. From a superficial standpoint it seemed like the wound would be fine, however he did not know the extent of Uldrs power, if it would close up, or even if it would scar. A mar on perfection was not the worst thing that could happen. Perfection could lose his mind, and that would be a tragedy. A wizard with as much power as Miro, mindless, insane would have to be slaughtered for the good of the world. Rayage did not want to be the one to do that. As if he could.

Now almost done, the pulsing red only having a shred left of fight in it, the nuit did his best to cover the rest of the angry red aura. He even went as far as to go a bit past the elbow, and up the arm further, but no more than a couple of inches past before he ran out of wrap and had to fold it in and under to keep it secured.

A final look at the aura of the arm revealed a faint red aura, but where the wound was the shade was lighter, almost a blue-like color, but not. A mixture of red and blue, about purple, but not. There didn’t seem to be any indications of lasting damage and so the nuit felt relief and admired his work before cutting ties with his aura. He felt lightheaded, but the burden of using djed was well worth the cost of seeing Miro was alright.

”I don’t see any indications that there will be permanent damage to your soul, thankfully,” Rayage reported to Miro looking up at him, ”Is there anything else I can do for you today?” he asked, getting to his feet, this time his voice sounded sincere.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Miro on May 25th, 2014, 2:57 am

Miro quieted his mind, tried to take it to a happier place, but there was only despair in his mind. The closest he could come was to the feeling he got, as if he were a child. Being handled and looked after so tenderly, it reminded him of being with his mother. This only added to his pain, sunk him deeper into darkness. But to have his wound wrapped did in fact help him to feel better, despite the immense pain.

To have his split flesh forced together was enough to make him let loose muffled screams from behind gritted teeth. He did not suppose that the Nuit had brought a preserving kit with the materials to sew him shut, so this would have to do. Unless of course the flesh was seared together with fire. But that was not a pain the Ice Reaver was willing to bear. There was nothing worse than the sting of flames.

Though it got him thinking. The question of what more could be done, it was a fine one. There was a simple answer, though not much could be done now. If Rayage was so eager to earn the assistance of the Reimancer, he would need to prove himself. What better way than with a display of Reimancy? "Yes, indeed, there is something you can do. Show me your Res. Show me what you've learned."

Though a fire Reimancer had an issue, and that was they lacked the ability to dispel their own flames. It would be a problem if the fire got out of hand, the master being sidelined as it was. "I hope you have learned from my own display. Too flashy a spell and you can not so easily the Djed from a safe place. You find your spells drawing from places they should not. To strain yourself too much produces horrible results."

"Prove to me you have control as well as power. But I must warn you against burning me or my possessions. If I feel as much as the draft of heat against me, see anything I own start to smoke, you'll learn the true meaning of regret. But don't worry, you will survive. And in the end you'll learn from it. Just like you learned from the Reimancy initiation. Only the pain from that will seem laughable. As will the struggle of the lessons to teach you your skills. Do not disappoint me, dearest friend."

Perhaps the feelings of motherly compassion and regret had become replaced. Miro hadn't noticed, but it was another facet of their bond. Strict training and firm disciplining. Though somehow the roles had switched. It was bothersome for the Chained One to feel too pampered. He liked to be in control, to give orders, to dominate. And if his domination wrought power, then all the better. "I trust you have been keeping up with your lessons. If not, we will have to make up for lost time."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Rayage on May 25th, 2014, 4:10 am

Rayage was not expecting such a test to be presented to him. Though he quickly took a couple steps away from Miro and smiled at him, almost mockingly, ”As you wish.” he said bowing to the master Reimancer. If it was a genuine sign of respect or not was left up to interruption. His words were mixed with a sweet poison to them. The wizard having took those couple steps to prepare himself for the spell he was about to cast. At the end of the nuits brief sentence and using the gesture of the bow, he was to instill within Miro a sense of control, but also one of gratification. Though the use of the gesture, which was already known as a sign of respect and reverence, he aimed to use common symbolism to make his spells even more effective though non-verbal ques.

The nuit held the bow as he willed the djed to take form and emitted it from his very being. He waited for a respectable amount of time before straightening himself, immediately holding one of his arms out in front of him. He did not, could not, disappoint his teacher. He would show him just how much he had grown in the seasons time. Albeit not much, he wanted to show Miro in a small display that he had control of his own fire. If he didn’t, then how could he be the new light of this world? What use could power uncontrollable be?

From his outturned hand the wizard willed his djed into action, drawing it to his hand. Slowly red gaseous substance began to emit from the wizard. A small quantity, enough for a small ball, it hovered above his hand before another one formed. That would be enough for this demonstration though.

Holding his other hand out, a ball of red res floated towards it hovering just above it. Now he had two balls, one on the left and one on the right. The one on the right ignited into a brilliant, but small flame. The one on the left started attracting the fire. The orb of flame was distorted by the force of lefts attraction. It rippled and flickered towards it. Small spurts of fire jumped from the right, dying between the hands before it reached the ball.

Closer and closer the wizard willed the two balls, and more and more the rights fire was disturbed by the force of lefts attraction. It started outwardly reaching for it, a flaming tentacle being fueled by the res supporting it, but never quite touching the lefts orb. Closer still the orbs were brought and now the fire was being syphoned from the right sphere to the left, the fire colliding with the greedy and forceful res and spewing over the sphere, covering it. Closer, now the balls seamlessly merged and he was down to one ball of res.

Eyes were locked on this orb, and his full concentration was on this casting and the contrasting forces of attraction. He held the orb there for a moment, allowing the fire to consume more of the res before he judged it was enough to do what he had in mind safely.

Putting both hands over the fire, cupping it, he could feel the heat, but he did not care. He brought his hands down and up in a throwing motion, willing the orb to follow his hands so he wouldn’t burn himself. When his hands were above him, he willed the res to spread out, taking the fire with it, his goal was to spread out of the fire so as it fell, the flames would die away instead of burning anything. He had rehearsed this in his head beforehand and so far it was playing out perfectly. Hopefully he had put Miro in a good mood, and with this performance, distracted him from the pain he felt from his arm. Now he waited, almost tense, looking towards his master for any sign of a response.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Miro on May 25th, 2014, 4:57 am

Miro watched the show and display that Rayage offered. It was a good one, enough to make the wizard smile, but in the end it only made him hungry to see more. It did seem the Nuit had remembered his training, but had not proven he had learned anything new. His control was impressive, but as for a demonstration of power, this was not one. It was a mere trick, a bit of flash. An obviously restrained effort.

"Cute little display there, that is." The undead spoke in a mocking tone to his ally. "You showed me you can control yourself, show some restraint, but you've proved nothing." It would take so much more than this to satisfy the conditions of the test. "I know you can cast more than that, and I know you can put a bit more oomph into your magic." He chuckled as he spoke, "That can't be all you've got."

It was a shame that the Reimancer was damaged as he was. It was so much easier to mock somebody with a hand to gesture. It would have to seem that witty remarks and taunts would have to do. "Try again, for I am only just barely amused. More Res, more fire, more of a wow. Your first try, that was good, but you were holding back. Make things interesting, a bit dangerous. You are playing with fire after all."

Part of the wizard hoped that something would catch on fire. There was still much that the apprenticed Reimancer needed to learn about magic. Things he seemed to forget. "If you are putting on a show, don't be afraid to put your heart into it. Gesture a bit, use some of your incantations. I know you know how, I trained you well. Don't make me look like a fool who can't train a student. Think big! Manipulate more than one spell and make them dance about. More magic I say!"
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Doorway to Chaos

Postby Rayage on May 25th, 2014, 5:39 am

Miro was right, of course. His display was simple. Though he frowned at the fact that he had to try again. Parlor tricks were amusing at best, and the wizard master wanted a spell that preformed indoors that involved fire. Rayage paused for a moment, drawing upon his djed once more, ”Very well.” he said, rolling the sleeves up on his cloak to allow his skin to show. Holding his arms out to either side of him, he tugged on his very being and brought more of it to physical existence. Red steam seemed to come off of the wizards arms and it condensed into streams forming four spheres on both side. On his right side the spheres were smaller, like the ones he used before, on his left they were bigger, almost double the size of the ones on the right size.

He felt his being begin to fray, the effort of casting off so much of himself was taking a toll on him. It felt dangerous, but also so nice. He felt like he could cast more, just like Miro had suggested, and he was going to, but he restrained himself. Casting felt extravagant, but it wasn’t worth losing himself to, especially for Miro. He would have to work with what he had summoned right now.

The right side was willed into action, the four spheres. The spheres hovered about the wizard, and he raised his right hand. The four spheres stopped at different points in space in front of the hand. Two hovering above the fingers, and two just about where his wrist was. ”There once was four Reimancers, their souls burned with fires kiss.” Rayage began, ”Each of them thought that they discovered the secret to harnessing fire and controlling its power.”

”The first flame,” As Rayage spoke those words the top right sphere of res ignited into being, ”Thought he could control fire with moderation. A small amount isn’t dangerous. Flames as gentle as candles he conjured to do his tasks. Little did he suspect his fire to grow out of control, and consume him. As a spirit he cried that they were only small. Only small.” the ‘first flame’ split in half and the newly born half hovered behind Rayages hand. ”The problem with anything small is that it has the potential to eat, consume, grow up, and conquer.”

”The second flame,” Rayage continued the story, ”He thought he could control fire with more fire. After all, if something grows so big that it cannot find a sufficient supply of air to feed itself, then it will die out. The only problem with that is that it could quickly grow out of control, and so the second fool perished as well.” The second ball of res in the upper left ignited and split, just like the first one.

”The third flame,” Rayage smiled, ”He was arrogant, thinking his perished brothers fools. He thought that to control fire it mattered not how big or how small the flame was, but the size of the Reimancers spirit. He too suffered the same fate of his brothers, relying on his res to completely manipulate fire. His death was probably the most gruesome, having died from overgiving before being consumed by the flame of his own soul.” The third flame ignited and split like the other two.

”The fourth flame,” Rayage said, ”He realized that it was air which tempered and controlled the fire. Without air, fire cannot survive. He manipulated the fire by controlling the amount of air which could reach the flames. He too fell to his miscalculations, having died of an awful explosion caused by his magic.” The fourth flame split and now he had eight different flames hovering about his hand.

”What they failed to realize is that there is no one way to manipulate fire safely. Fire is wild, passionate, and the wizard who wields it has to be tempered and steady. They all had a piece to controlling fire, but none could see the larger picture. Much is magic these days.” Rayage told Miro.

The four larger orbs of res dissipated, spreading out into the air, attracting the eight flames towards it, moving it along currents of it., ”To control fire, one must know fire, seek to understand it and its purpose. Fire is transformation. Fire purifies, fire destroys, but also gives. Like everything else in this world fire has its place.” the eight flames were dancing and spinning around Rayage hovering just inside the zone of his absolute control. They began spinning faster and faster around the nuit, the res circuits guiding the fire becoming a visible circular track for the fire to ride upon.

The rings were extending from the ground to the ceiling, eight of them around Rayage. ”Fire gives life, warmth, comfort.” Rayage said slipping in an emotional response of being content, when he said the word comfort. The wizard exuding and using more of his precious djed.

Holding both of his hands out, palms facing each other, he brought them closer as if to clap, but they never touched. As he brought his hands closer the rings around Rayage tightened and threatened to restrain him. Igniting the rings to add more flare and danger to his spell, the res jumped at the command to light itself, and the revolving candle-like flames were engulfed inside the bigger circuit. Then he brought his hands out, as if to clap again, the rings grew wider, and then in again, the rings constricted, and finally a last heave-ho, the wizard getting used to the movement. He brought his hands out forcefully, the rings expelling outward and the rest of the controlling res transmuting into fire and throwing itself outward dangerously from Rayage.

OOCIll let you decide if Rayage catches anything on fire.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)