Solo Ever Vigilant (Part Three)

Turrin heads into the valley in search of the beast that killed the Inartans in the wagon

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Ever Vigilant (Part Three)

Postby Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 4:55 am

Time Stamp: 28th of Fall, 513AV
Who: Turrin
Continuation:Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Hearing the wind howl around his tent, Turrin opened his eyes to see the canvas shaking from the force of the wind. Today will be miserable day to go hunting with the wind in such a frenzy. The Endal wondered to himself if it was even safe to take Aponivi into the air, but he knew the stubborn wind eagle would just laugh at his concern. When Turrin was fully dressed, he pulled the katinu's hood over his head and walked outside. He noticed a small dusting of snow must have fallen during the night time hours because everything was covered with a powdery snow. Looking over at the wind eagle, Turrin nodded to the giant bird and said softly, “Good morning, Aponivi.”

Morning Turrin. Sulrav must be in a pissy mood with the wind this strong.

Turrin started to break down his tent and nodded in agreement to Aponivi. To Turrin, he noticed the wind god seemed to giving his mother homeland such a beating as of late, With the instability of the mountain and horrible weather, Turrin was wondering if the gods were annoyed at the Inarta. It wasn't a thought he dwell on for long since he was just a mere mortal, and he wasn't mentally equipped to understand the minds of a all powerful god. Rolling up his tent, he looked at Aponivi and said out loud, “Sulrav has been in a foul mood most of season, so this morning should be just expected. Aponivi, I going to see if I can track the direction of the stray human. If I can't find the trail, we will have to do a aerial search for are wayward Inarta.” The wind eagle nodded his great head to show that he understood the Endal's plan. Turrin knew finding the Inarta should be his primary goal, but the half Myrian had a sinking feeling that Caiyha's predator might have given the Inarta to Dira. However, if he finds the corpse of the Inarta, he might be able to pick up a fresh trail. Putting the tent and bed roll into the saddle bags on Aponivi, Turrin took out his quiver, talon sword, and short bow and secured his gear to him. Pulling out a ration, the Endal ate till he was finished and took a drink of water. Taking a last look around his camp, Turrin saw his fire was smoldering, so he started to bury the fire in snow. Turrin looked at Aponivi and said softly, “I am going to track on the ground, so if you can be eyes in the air. We should be able to find some sign of the Inarta.”
Last edited by Turrin on January 7th, 2014, 2:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 4:56 am

Walking over to the burnt out wagon, Turrin started to look around for any tracks. It was a lot more difficult with the dusting of snow on the ground because any clear path last night would have been covered overnight. Bending down next to the half eaten woman, he noticed that some of the indentations of the predator's tracks in the mud were frozen because of the cool weather. The Endal smiled to himself knowing that if the predator's tracks were frozen than the human tracks must be frozen too. All he needed was a direction of the human, so he started to dust off the powdery snow from the tracks, and he eventually saw a pair of frozen children sized human tracks heading off into the valley. However, he dusted the snow further and saw the predator was all ready on the trail too since it's tracks were almost on top of the human tracks. Turrin stood up, put up his hood, and contacted the great bird of prey.

We are looking for a child Aponivi, so try to keep a eye out in the trees too. He or she might be trying to hide from the predator tracking them.

The Wind Eagle nodded signally that he understood the Endal warning. Watching the wind eagle take off into the air, Turrin started to walk in the direction the child was traveling. During his traverse through the valley, Turrin had to stop many times to find the trail again since the powdery snow was making it difficult got from him stay with the child and predator's trail. When he stopped by a large ice covered boulder, Turrin rested up against it and looked up and saw Aponivi soaring over head. He took another look around and saw a pair of frozen tracks in the thin snow layer. Walking over to them, he saw they had a vague boot shape to them about the size of a adult. Turrin swore angrily when he just realized that he lost of the child. Standing up he looked around and noticed wind was blowing the snow around, but he noticed a two black shapes circling down the valley. The Myrian wondered if it could be the child or just the carcass of a kill. Looking around for Aponivi, he saw the massive bird hovering higher up the valley. Turrin started making his way down the valley. He noticed that he could hear the Sanikas river off in the distance. He noticed when he first came to Wind Reach that the sound carried far in the cool wind. It was something that he never noticed in the hot humid air of Falyndar.

Walking for about half a bell, the terrain started to turn from scrub grass to a field of boulders ranging in sizing from the size of a human to head to about the size of a horse. He looked up and saw the black birds were still circling off in the distance, but he could make out the shapes as large vultures. Turrin started to make his way through the rock field, and he stopped when he noticed same predator's tracks from the wagon was by one of the larger rocks. He bent down and examined the tracks and noticed they were heading in the direction of the vultures. Frowning to himself, Turrin took his short bow from his shoulder, pulled a hunting arrow from his quiver, and started to slowly make his way to the circling birds. As he moved from rock to rock, a part of hoped the predator was there, so he could end this hunt quickly, but he part of him was concerned because it kill two full grown men already, and he was either dumb enough or brave enough to track it into the valley. When he got close, he noticed a fox scavenging a body of dead human. Placing his arrow on the bowstring, he saw the fox chasing away any of the vultures trying to get close to the body.
Last edited by Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 4:58 am

Walking out from behind the boulder, Turrin got into his stance with his left foot forward and right foot parallel to the target. He knew that it wasn't the most stable stances since the wind made him wobble slightly, but it was the most comfortable for him. Placing the arrow on the bowstring, Turrin raised the short bow till the tip of the metal arrow aligned up with the belly of the fox. Pulling the bowstring back to his cheek, he realigned his aim as the fox torn at the flesh of the man. The fox keep jumping back and forth, so he had to keep adjusting to shot to account that his prey was moving. Taking a deep breath, Turrin realized the bowstring with the arrow and watched the arrow soar towards the fox. The arrow hit the ground next to the fox, so Turrin reached for another arrow and placed it on the bowstring, but the when he raised the short bow to shoot. The fox was no where to be seen. Running a hand through his hair in frustration, Turrin walked out from his hiding spot and walked towards the body of the blond haired man. Turrin wondered if he was a foreign hunter because he wasn't wearing te tradition clothing of the Inarta. The Endal walked over, felted his neck with his hand, and noticed that the body was still slightly warm. The Endal muttered quietly to himself, “He must have died rather recently...” Standing up, he looked around the camp and noticed the campfire was smoldering with a five logs besides it. He started walking a around and his foot kicked something in the snow, so he looked down and noticed a muddy doll laying in the snow. Turrin picked it up and turned it over and saw the stitching on the back was Nari and the name was Vena. Tucking the doll into his belt, he looked around the camp and noticed a clear pair of small human tracks in the snow heading towards the river.

As the Endal followed the tracks in the snow, Turrin could hear the sound of water rushing in the distance. He knew the Sanikas River was almost impassible in the spring and summer because of the amount of water rushing down the side of the volcano, but when the heat of summer grips the Skyinarta, the melt water from the snow tended to be completely gone accept of the exceptionally cold years. He just hoped the early snow hasn't feed the river enough to make it rage down the mountain. It took a half a bell to get the banks of the river. The child Inarta tracks stopped at the edge of the river, so he knelt down to see what direction tracks turned, but as Turrin gazed at the trail, he lost the trail. Growling in frustration, he wondered if finding the child was even worth it since the beast seemed more pressing on his mind. Standing up, he looked up river and noticed the terrain would be difficult to navigate for a adult let alone a child, so he looked down river and smiled when he saw the terrain was easier and the start of the treeline. The tall pines were swaying in the wind, but none of the trees seemed to be phased by the strong winds, but the sound the wind made through the tall trees were quite eerie.

Turrin started to walk down the shoreline of the river towards the forest. When he made it to the edge of the forest, he took off his short bow from his shoulders and pulled out a hunting arrow from his quiver as he stepped into the forest. The Endal hoped the little girl didn't go deep into the forest and stayed near the shoreline. It would be a lot easy for him to find her since the pine needles were everywhere on the ground floor. Turrin started to hug the edge of the river as he looked for any signs of the little girl whereabouts, but to his frustration and horrible luck, he wasn't find a trail of the predator or little girl. When he came to a fallen tree hanging over the river, he noticed a red color in the brown stuck to a broken piece of a log. Walking over to examine the red, he saw a torn piece of cloth on broken tree branch. Plunking the cloth from the branch, he looked at it. Suddenly, Turrin heard a howl in the distance, and the Endal stopped when he another howl shortly afterward. The Myrian wondered if the wolves were his predator, but he wasn't sure since he only saw one set of a tracks at the wagon and the camp. He wasn't quite sure what the wolves were howling about, but he didn't want to take any chances if they were howling about him.
Last edited by Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 5:00 am

Climbing over the fallen tree, Turrin heard the child like shrill echoing through the forest. The Endal stopped to pin point the source of the sound. He heard the scream again and a loud howl right after. The Endal could tell the sources of the sounds were close, so he started heading in the direction of the commotion. Not wanting to give away his position, the Endal crept through the forest keeping to the underbrush. When he came to a clearing, he saw the dirty hair of a little girl about twenty feet into the tree and a large grey wolf pacing at the edge of the tree. He noticed the muzzle of the best was covered in blood, so he was wondering if it was the foreigner's blood. Walking out behind a large pine tree, Turrin got into his stance with his left foot forward and right foot parallel to the target. Placing the arrow on the bowstring, Turrin raised the short bow till the tip of the metal arrow aligned up with the side of the wolf. Pulling the bowstring back to his cheek, he realigned his aim as the wolf yelped playfully up at the frightened little girl. Suddenly, the large grey wolf stopped and disappeared in bright colorful lights and a puff a purple smoke. When the smoke cleared a man with long black stood there completely naked, Turrin mouth dropped for a tick since he never seen anything like the shape changer in his life, so the endal lowered his short bow and hide behind a large pine tree.

Putting short bow back on his shoulder, Turrin moved to a bush closer to the man and the little girl. When he got behind the bush, the black haired man started to speak in common, “Little girl, I won't hurt you. I promise. I just want to speak with you a moment. If not I will have to climb up and pull you scrawny arse out of that tree!” Turrin stayed in the bushes and listened as the little girl spoke in broken common, “Petch you! You killed Pa and Ma, and blond man! I stay up in tree!” Turrin muttered to himself in Nari, “Good girl, keep him distracted...” Taking out a broad tipped arrow from his quiver, Turrin placed it on his bow string and stood up from behind the bush. Turrin knew that he had a right to kill lower castes if they disrespect him, but the strange man was obvious a foreigner, and he killed two Inartans already and was threatening one of their youth. He deserved to die by a Endal's hands. Turrin got into his stance with his left foot forward and right foot parallel to the target. Placing the arrow on the bowstring, Turrin raised the short bow till the tip of the metal arrow aligned up with the back of the black haired man. Pulling the bowstring back to his cheek, Turrin said a soft prayer to Myri as he took a deep breath and let go of the bowstring on the exhale.
Last edited by Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Turrin on December 1st, 2013, 5:01 am

The broad tipped arrow soared towards the unsuspecting victim and plunged deep into his shoulder blade. Turrin gentle set his short bow on the ground and yelled at the black haired man as he unsheathed his talon sword, “You have killed two Inartan, Beast! Stand down and get on the ground, and I might be merciful!” The black haired man turned around and Turrin saw the bloody metal head of the arrow sticking out the front of his shoulder. The man was breathing hard through his clenched teeth and growled, “I am no beast, human. You interrupting my hunt!” Looking up at the little girl, Turrin said in Nari, “I am a Endal. I will bring you home that I promise you.” The wolf-man yelled at him, “Shut your mouth human!” The wolf-man didn't change, but he stumbled forward and swung a right fist and Turrin's head. The Endal ducked his hay-maker and stepped to the side as he slashed his talon sword across his chest. The man stumbled forward with severe bleeding from his head.

Turrin licked his sword blade and said in common with a smile, “I am not quite human. I am myrian half breed, and you are quite tasty for a beast man.” The man growled at him and seemed to be wobbling from blood loss. The look of Dira seemed to be near in his eyes, so Turrin waited for him to strike. Without a weapon, the man didn't stand a chance against him. Turrin decided to taunt him to get him to move, “You should have stayed a wolf. Now you will die as a human like the bitch you are!” Enraged, the wolf man made a desperate move as he kicked out with his foot at the Endal's crouch. Turrin side stepped to the side and swung his talon sword with both hands down across the shine of his leg. The razor sharp sword cut through the bone and severed the leg from the shin down. The man stumbled forward holding his severed food and yelling incoherently at Turrin as the wolf man sat up holding his bloody stump.

Turrin walked behind the bleeding man, swung his talon sword horizontally towards his neck, and the razor sharp blade cut through the man's neck. It took a tick for it to roll off his shoulder onto the ground. Turrin picked up the sever head by the long black hair and yelled to Myri in victorious, “I give you this sacrifice, Myri! May his soul find peace in the cold embrace of Dira, and may our enemy's soul one day find glory in the ranks of the true Goddess!” When he finished his prayer to Myri, he noticed another wolf staying at him from the treeline. Turrin locked eyes with the white wolf and gave the wolf a respectful nod to the other predator. The wolf stared him for a moment and let out a long death howl before walking into the forest. Holding the severed head in his hand, the Endal looked at the little girl and said with a smile in Nari, “It is safe now, Little One. Come down, and I will bring you back to Wind Reach.” The little girl sat in the tree for a moment wide eyed and said sadly, “Is it over, Endal?” Turrin gave her a sympathetic smile and said sadly, “Yes, let us go home.” As he retrieved his short bow and waited for the little girl to climb down from the tree.

Walking out of the treeline, Turrin smiled at the large bird of prey as he sat waiting for him. Aponivi looked at the severed hair of the wolf man and asked questioning.

You must have been busy in the forest Turrin. Did you find the beast that killed all these people?

Turrin kept his left hand on the shoulder of the little girl, raised the severed head of the dark haired man, and said simply, “Our beast was a beast that could turn into a man, Aponivi. Honestly this world gets stranger everyday, but at least, I was able to save one of my mother's people.” Turrin smiled at the little girl and said softly, “We will fly back retrieve the bodies of your parents and head back to Wind Reach.” Messing up the little girl's hair, Turrin lead her to the wind eagle and helped her into the large saddle. Flying back to the wagon, Turrin gathered the bodies together, and when he finished, he found a broken piece of wood and stuck the head to it neck first into the stake. The Endal didn't knew if the Inarta would understand the practice, but the sever head would act as a warning to all enemies of Wind Reach that they are being watched and trespasses against the Inartan people by a outsiders will not be tolerated. When he was finished his warning to the enemies of Wind Reach, Turrin got back on Aponivi who had his talons on bodies of the dead and flew back to the city.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Skerry on December 20th, 2013, 10:15 am

Grades

Turrin

Skill XP
Hunting 2
Observation 5
Planning 1
Stealth 1
Tracking 3
Weapon: Short bow 3
Weapon: Talon sword 3

LORES :
  • Tracking: Picking up a lost trail
  • Kelvic (unnamed): shape shifter
  • Talon sword: How to dismember
  • Talon sword: How to decapitate

Notes:
Small note, Turrin. The god of winds is Zulrav, not Sulrav. There are also a few grammar mistakes. Aside from that, it was a very interesting thread, the conclusion didn’t disappoint.
Remember if you have any questions or problems with your grade then feel free to PM me.

Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook