Closed [Anthonius Fighters' Pits] Pits and Hits.

A sesson of swordsmanship with Rachel Messer!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Anthonius Fighting Pits] Pits and Hits.

Postby Medhozic on January 29th, 2014, 8:34 pm

It was a shame that he wasn't really looking for a heavy weapon, in terms of a practical use. He just needed to be proficient enough in a general spray of weapons so that he would be able to hold his own when circumstances demanded that he put such things to use. Heavy weapons, to him, were mostly useless given the job of a hunter - a silent, quiet but agile creature. He would never be able to buy a longsword and carry it with him around the forests. It didn't mean that he would find no good use to have the knowledge somewhere.

The longer he held the thing, the more he realized just how different the dagger and the longsword were. It wasn't just a scaled-up version, there was an entirely different weight distribution in the blade itself that required a different grip by the wielder. The stances were somewhat universal, with some minor alterations - after all, a dagger was a sword, and all swords had to have something in common. Not much, though. "Yes. You maintain a balance between the front and back foot, with somewhat similar stances, however -" he paused to shift his grip, moving the right hand further up the handle and the left further towards the pommel for a better distribution, "there are some differences as well." He would leave it at that. They were beginning on the test dummies. Something that he'd seen in the Fighters Pits, too. Though this one seemed somewhat cleaner, less worn. It could have passed for new, almost.

"Hmm." Horizontal attacks. Useless with a dagger - too wide for such a small weapon, too long to make. But with a larger blade, apparently, it was effective. So he tried it. The blade was pulled back, and he struggled and was forced to push his left foot further back into the ground just to stabilize thanks to the sudden shift in balance. The same would happen when he swung back, he realized - he'd need to, impossibly, shift his weight so that he wouldn't topple over from the sheer force of the swing, whether or not he put a significantly small amount of strength into it. The advantages and disadvantages of heavy weapons, he guessed...

It took some moments. Minor shifts with his feet, trying to plant them in the right spots, with his hands testing the grip of the longsword, trying to find something that would at least work. And then, at last, he swung with a bit of a tilt moving up as he went, striking somewhere between the waist and the ribcage. At least he'd shifted his weight back, so that the swing wouldn't just throw him off-balance. However, the rebound from the wood-on-wood collision wasn't something he'd added into the equation. The firm grip on the longsword nearly broke completely and both of his arms jarred in their sockets from the heavy 'thud', leaving the tip of the training sword to topple down into the soil while his hands barely managed to keep a smooth grip; his eyes were as wide as a deers caught in the sight of a wolf.

Obviously, he'd underestimated the amount of power that could be, potentially, put into a longsword. Daggers were small, light - the amount of power that went into an attack, was the amount that you put in with your own arm. And these.. things. He didn't know what they were, because they weren't swords - they were animals, charging with all their might on the lightest twitch. The sheer power under his hands was.. remarkable. "Shyke."

"My Speech." | "Your Speech." | "Hypnosis."
Medhozic
Player

Words: 187261
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Antinous Fighting Pits] Pits and Hits.

Postby Rachel Messer on February 6th, 2014, 7:17 am

Rachel slightly winced when the wooden sword flew unceremoniously from Medhozic's hands, but her expression quickly turned into that of understanding. The Ethaefal had no experience with the longsword after all, though both sword and dagger might be similar in terms of bladed weapons, but they were very different in techniques and practice, a master of daggers might be just an apprentice of longswords.

Unfortunately, Medhozic's accidental self-disarming meant Rachel couldn't progress her lessons much until he had better grips, if a basic side strike could go awry, she didn't want to imagine how a powerful overhead strike would go. The instructor walked to Med's sword, picked it up, and returned it to him. She checked his arms for signs of bruises, she had little knowledge in the human body, let alone an Ethaefal's, but it wasn't hard to see obvious swelling or color difference. "Are you alright, Sir?" She asked politely, it was the responsibility of an instructor to keep her student safe.

Rachel put her right hand to her chin as she contemplated whether to continue or stop for the day, she wanted to push onward so he could learn quickly, but forcing too much was risky. In the end, she decided to ask the Ethaefal, "Are you able to continue, Sir? If not, you can rest and come see me again once you are ready," Rachel allowed her stance to relax as she picked up a towel from her backpack and wiped her sweats, "You are doing good, with more training, I'm sure you'll hold the blade fine and one step closer to be a mighty swordsman," Motivations was a powerful tool, by experience, students wanted for their efforts to be recognized. Failures and blunders were common, if one never fails, one could never learn how to better oneself.

"Common" | Thoughts

Note: Radiant here, Syliras have an AS, so I'm getting her back up. ;)
Rachel Messer
Light of Hope

Words: 141244
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 2:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Medhozic on February 6th, 2014, 8:45 pm

For some unknown reason to even himself, the Ethaefal stared down at the offered sword for several long moments like some hated enemy. In some ways, he hated it - nearly loathed it entirely for humiliating him and making him look weak. In another, respected it for the sheer power that it'd showed. But it wasn't a living creature - why was he even considering such foolish things? He didn't know, but long after he should have snapped out of his daydreams, he finally found himself picking the thing up again and weighing it like it was a new blade. And it was - he'd seen what it could do. Something in his hold told it of caution, pointed down to the ground and with a looser grip around the sword, although the girl seemed more worried about whether he'd managed to get any bruises out of his experience. He had - thankfully the marble tone of his skin made the things nearly indistinguishable, regardless of the fact that they were under the sleeves of his shirt. "I am fine. And do not call me Sir; I am not a knight, and neither am I royalty."

Surprisingly, he didn't give it with his usual criticism or indistinguishable hatred, he actually spoke gently and looked her in the face when he spoke, before turning back down to the blade and idly turning it one way and another, trying to feel the weight and how it felt around his palms and fingers when in different positions. Sometimes, just getting to feel a blade without swinging it could give a whole new understanding.. not that it did for him. He turned it one way, and another, and back again, and it was the same old thing. Heavy - he supposed that it must have been similar to a mace, but he couldn't really describe it that way since he'd never felt one. But it was heavy.. bulky thing, too.

In truth, he couldn't describe it as he pushed it left and right with his hands - keeping it well out of the way of Rachel as he did so, obviously - and felt the way that the heavy weapon moved with such ease, such balance of its weight just at the point between the handle and the blade that it could pull the entire weight crashing down on its foes. He was certain a mace couldn't be moved with such finesse, and it certainly had the potential for some fantastic moves and turns that would have put a dagger to shame because of not just the weight, but the way it was distributed.

"I can continue. I am fine." He took his stance again just to prove it - the sword tilted diagonally towards the empty air in front, one foot forwards and the other back with a bit of distance between them, biceps squashed against either side of his chest and his brow furrowed in concentration, head tilted forwards. Although, there was a bit of a lean on one of the two arms that held the blade up, since there was a minor ache. He could deal with it - he would survive a minor bruise, that he'd dealt to himself. An embarrassing memory that only made him even more confident that he wouldn't make the same mistake twice. Maybe a little less firm grip next time. "I will train anyway. I will conquer the beast with the iron tongue." What a silly name to call it.. but he did all the same. Even as childish and ridiculous as it sounded, he did want to conquer the beast that had already proven itself to him. "Shall we get started then."

Medhozic
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rachel Messer on February 12th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Rachel's default title for someone she didn't know very well, or in a formal relationship such as mentor-student, was to call 'Sir or Miss', she deemed it was unfitting of her to casually call someone by their first name after just meeting for a few bells. However, if the aforementioned person wished for a different title or none altogether, she would be more than willing to accept, "Very well, Medhozic, I shall call you as such from now on". She wanted to tell him that there was a slight difference between 'Sir' and 'Ser', the latter was reserved for Knights, but she deemed it unnecessary for now.

The Ethaefal seemed fine enough, he was able to pick his sword back, the unusual color of skin made it hard for her to notice any obvious bruises though, I just hope he doesn't push himself too hard... She put her blade down as Medhozic examined the sword, practicing with his grips and stances, she observed his performance, definitely better than before now that he had perceived the weight of a longsword on his hands. The instructor asked her student, "Do you want to continue?"

Fortunately, he did, after receiving a payment worth four times her normal teaching fee, him calling off the lesson would leave her with a bad aftertaste. Her smile brightened and Rachel picked up her sword then walked back to the training dummy, "Wonderful, Medhozic! Now, I want you to practice a few more swings with the sideways strike, then we'll move on with another basic, but very important, technique, the stab". The instructor chuckled at the Eth's humor attempt, "I'm sure you will, keep training and one day, you'll be a beastmaster!" She motivated him, using his own words to boost his enthusiasm.

She would wait until Medhozic gave her the sign to continue, then Rachel readied her sword, holding the grip near the right side of her waist, the tip pointing forward, "Alright, this is what I call the "Stab", it's a pretty straightforward name and a literal straightforward technique as well, you place your sword like this," She gestured to her own body with her head, "Then, you prepare your muscles then..." She rushed forward, pushing the blade's tip to the wooden dummy. The blunt tip clashed with the wooden surface, sending vibrations throughout Rachel's arm and torso, she firmly planted her foot to keep steady, "It's very effective against metal armor, go on, try it, and remember, never accidentally disarm yourself, it could mean the difference between life and death in combat".

"Common" | Thoughts

Rachel Messer
Light of Hope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Medhozic on February 12th, 2014, 8:18 pm

He nodded quietly and observed.. 'the stab'. She made it sound much more grand than it was, although he had to admit that watching it made his eyes widen. He honestly couldn't imagine a person being on the delivering end of a punch with that amount of strength beneath it.. and even then it hadn't looked like she'd put all that much strength herself, just the momentum of the heavy metal. And that was blunt.. and it still looked like it could have easily, potentially, ripped the wooden dummy straight out of the ground. It'd take a while, he believed, before he managed to master that.. but when he did, oh, the possibilities...

Still. He was supposed to be focusing on what was important, and after gawking for a few more moments at the explosive 'stab', he turned and took up position before the same wooden dummy. Feet apart, right foot forwards.. he actually stared at his own feet to make sure that they looked like they were in the right place before raising the blade to what he'd come to label as the 'standard' position, blade lifted up at a diagonal, elbows tucked in. And then, slowly, he swayed back as his entire body leaned further and the blade pulled lower and lower, until it was completely horizontal. It was a struggle to just hold it up in the position - he didn't know how he was going to actually be able to stab forwards. But he tried anyway, stepped forwards with his left foot, pushed off with his right, thrust both arms forwards, tightened grip.. the tip of the blade went off balance a little and tipped up as he tried to push it forwards, and the handle jarred again, like the slash, but at least he was a little more prepared and managed to pull back before it got any worse.

Taking a step back again, he took a look at the damage. A visible gash, made by Rachel, but nothing by him.. because of the majority of strength used to keep the sword aloft, actually turning it into an attacking thrust was much more complicated.. but like she'd told him, it'd come with time. He just needed to practice.. luckily, in this mortal plane, he had plenty of that. Too much of that, in fact..

"Usually the difference between life and death is your own skill, more than your opponents.." He didn't know where he'd heard that line from. "I think, if I ever take to using a longsword regularly, I'll bring a dagger along as well, just in case. Or two." When had he decided to suddenly be the joker.. highly unorthodox, but he couldn't say he wasn't enjoying himself. Not enough to forget manners, or at least standards.. but enough that they didn't really mean much to him, at the moment. Like, he supposed, if he'd had a few too many drinks. Not enough to drop his trousers and parade around the city.. but enough to become at least a little more talkative.

Medhozic
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rachel Messer on February 13th, 2014, 3:01 pm

The human instructor stood by her Ethaefal student, her green eyes on the watch for any obvious blunders, she didn't want him to injure himself especially after the incident earlier, she tirelessly reminded herself that it was the instructor's responsibility for her student's well-being. Very good... keep going. She commented in her mind, not willing to break Med's concentration, the Eth did a rather good job at maintaining the 'stabbing' stance, though he was slightly trembling, "You'll get used to the weight". His first try didn't go well, but no bid deal, he could always try again.

Rachel smiled, Medhozic managed to pull his flawed strike out before it got any worse, "Good, Med, know when to pull back, know when to strike," She regarded his words with a nod, agreeing with the horned man, "Agreed, student, one's own skill is important, but it will help greatly if you can read your opponent's skill as well, like a wise man once said, 'Know thy self and thy enemy, and thou shall win a thousand battles'," Rachel actually didn't know about any wise man speaking such things, she made it up, but... Priskil wouldn't mind, it was for good intentions. Goddess, I hope you are not displeased by this, I just want him to be motivated. Striving to be a knight someday, even a little white lie had its effect on Rachel's conscience.

"Mhm, it's up to you, Med," If the man wanted to bring multiple weapons, he was free to do so, Rachel herself was fond of using her longsword and crossbow, she reminded herself to train heavily in the ranged weapon, she still utterly lacked skill in it. The instructor did chuckle a little at his humor attempt, "Alright, try a couple more times until you are comfortable, then we will move on to the last part of our particular session, the 'Overhead strike' technique, but as I promised, I still owe you three more sessions, so feel free to come back anytime for additional lessons," She gave him a thankful smile, the ring was beautiful.

She would wait until Medhozic was done with his attempts, then she would gesture for him to pay attention, standing before the wooden dummy, "This particular technique is slow and uses a lot of energy, but it's powerful and can cleave a head in two, also pounding helmets," She readied herself, both hands firmly grasping the wooden sword, "First, you raise your sword like this," She slowly raised her arms until the sword's tip was pointing diagonally backwards, "Prepare yourself then," she swung down, "Strike!" The clash made a loud 'clunk!', decorating the dummy with another gash, this time even deeper than the 'stab' technique, "Phew..." She wiped her forehead, stepping aside to observe Med, "Now you try, please be careful".

"Common" | Thoughts

Rachel Messer
Light of Hope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Medhozic on February 13th, 2014, 4:47 pm

A few moments longer, before they moved on. He just needed to catch his breath from holding such a weapon aloft for a prolonged amount of time.. it felt more like weightlifting training than any kind of weapon training that he'd been through. In truth, this was the first and only 'training' that he'd been given. Surprisingly few chances in Ravok, less around Syliras unless someone wanted training tips from the owner of the pits in which they now worked. And by the way the man just stood, mostly silent.. well, he even put the Ethaefal off. More intimidating than most he'd seen around the rest of Mizahar, at least.

But, they were getting.. somewhere. An earring well-spent in his eyes, since he was sure that much had been gained in their encounter.. and doubtless much more would be in the future. Only one thing left.. and then he'd be able to go back to his apartment and rest for the rest of the day. His arms ached like he'd tried to drag a boar all the way down from the Cobalt Mountains.. and back up again. "That is good, for someone who intends to get into battles. Though, I don't plan on them.. but should they come up, I can only hope." He wasn't a warmonger-er, after all. Just one who hoped he could face a thief as equals if it came to it. So, he readied the sword as before - lifting it up to a diagonal, elbows pressed tight, then leaned back.. and stabbed forwards with a bit more force aimed in pushing on the horizontal than keeping it aloft. But that only made it go down and stick into the lower end of the wooden shaft that kept the practice dummy on the ground.. and succeeded in pushing it back a little as well, so that it stuck at an angle instead of straight up. Must not have been all too deep then.. he had to sheepishly pull the long-sword out and then grip the head of the wooden dummy to forcefully pull it back into place.

Then he tried again. And again. And once more, for good luck. Overall, he managed to get two small dents in the body - nowhere near as large as Rachel, more as if they'd been done with little daggers. But he was moderately happy with them, and ready to advance to the last part - which looked even more daunting than 'the thrust'. Mainly because he could already see the strength put into holding the long-sword down after contact.. if he tried that, it'd bounce back and throw the Ethaefal straight off his feet if he wasn't careful. The girl-teacher could probably see it as well as he could.. so taking up a space before the dummy, he made sure that his feet were firmly planted on the ground.

Deep breaths..

The blade lifted slowly over his head, and he closed his eyes just for a moment to find the right balance, until it was close to coming a full 135 degree angle.. and then, as he opened his eyes again, a step forwards with his right foot to close the distance, pushing all the way down with his arms and bracing them for the impact as the sword came down on the dummy's shoulder. Indeed, it was huge.. but he could manage it, at least. Vibrations stung all the way down his fingers and turned them numb, and he was sure there was a little ringing in his ears.. but he held on to the sword, and when he pulled it away, there stood a fresh and fairly deep gash. He couldn't hold the sword anymore, though - it had to rest with the point pushing into the dirt of the pit while his fingers regained feeling. "I think.. that went well. Though, I'm afraid I can't continue any further." Indeed, it was a miracle that he could still stand after all of that.. perhaps it was a small parcel of weight leaning on that long-sword.

Medhozic
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Anthonius Fighters' Pits] Pits and Hits.

Postby Rachel Messer on February 14th, 2014, 4:34 pm

The Ethaefal was clearly fatigued, his breaths were heaving and the sweat tricking down his marble skin made it obvious, the sword was still in his grip however and that impressed the instructor. For someone who had never taken up the longsword before, he was doing a pretty good job, some students needed a few days just to familiarize themselves with the sword. "Take it easy..." She whispered as Med prepared for the powerful technique, speaking her thoughts out loud.

Rachel could feel the tension when he lifted the blade, even though he was using a wooden blade, bruises was a possibility, and in worse cases, broken bones. He was off to a good start, but it was no time to relax, Rachel didn't keep her eyes off Med's form, he stepped forward and the instructor prayed to Priskil for his safety, the wooden edge connected to the dummy with a loud thud, Rachel had to wince, hoping he didn't overly strain a muscle. The practice weapon didn't fall off, she gave a soft sigh of relief.

After the strike, no one could deny that he was spent for the day, he was using his sword as a leverage. The instructor knew it was time to finish the session, she put her sword down and approached the horned man, "You did good, Medhozic, and I agree, we do need a rest, this session is over then," she began packing up her belongings, then would offer Medhozic to help putting away his sword, "Remember, I still owe you three more sessions, come back anytime when you feel ready," She gave a pat on the shoulder followed with a playful smile, "Don't keep me waiting".

OOCAlright, this should be my last post for the thread. :) I'm turning it in, just PM me if you want to requst any skills/lores!

Thank you for threading with me! Hope we meet again in the future!

"Common" | Thoughts

Rachel Messer
Light of Hope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[Anthonius Fighters' Pits] Pits and Hits.

Postby Orion Michaels on March 10th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Med
+1 Negotiation
+3 Observation
+2 Socialization
+1 Rhetoric
+3 Weapon: Longsword
+1 Endurance

lore :
Rachel Messer: Longsword Trainer
Longsword: One or Two Handed Weapon
Longsword Stance: Middle Guard
Four Directional Movement from Middle Guard
Two-Handed Longsword Technique: Side Slash
Two-Handed Longsword Technqiue: Stab
Two-Handed Longsword Technique: Overhead Slash

Kreig’s Half-Sister
+4 Observation
+1 Negotiation
+2 Socialization
+3 Teaching
+1 Weapon: Longsword

lore :
Medhozic: Stoic Ethaefal
Medhozic: A Ring for Four Sessions
Longsword Stance: Middle Guard
Four Directional Movement from Middle Guard
According to Medhozic: Daggers and Longswords have similar techniques
Instruction Technique: Encouragement after failure

Notes
I know it goes without saying at this point, but there are not going to be large numbers of knights and squires at the Fighters Pit. If you have any further threads that state this, I’d appreciate it if they were edited to accurately reflect the lore. Also, Rachel, unless you purchase a wooden weapon to use in your instruction, I need you avoid using them in your threads in the future. The location page for The Pit states that all the weapons are real, if worn down, steel.

All that said, I want to thank you guys for playing to your level. It’s refreshing to see. :) let me know if you have any questions.
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous