Closed Of Chains and Hammers (Osd)

Anna meets a slave down in the forge, seeking better materials for her presentation.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Of Chains and Hammers (Osd)

Postby Annalisa Marin on December 6th, 2013, 9:42 pm

6th of Winter, 513 AV

Anna strode through the ancient halls of the Citadel cautiously, her grey eyes flicking here or there subtly as she walked. Paranoia was doing not favors for her already tenuous mental condition, were it not for her faith in Rhysol the tall woman doubted she'd be able to hold it together. It was really the chain holding any trace of coherent thought together, the desire to serve him. Celeste likely wouldn't approve but it was all she could do to keep from descending into a raving lunatic.

The Forge, she'd been directed here when she'd mentioned to Amaryllis about requiring specialized materials for her Glyphing. The rocks had been an excellent test, but showing both the beta stages and a more refined product would be best. She was covering all angles here, having no desire to mess things up when she was so very close to advancing in rank. No longer would she be a mere Apprentice Wizard but a full Wizard with the right to work in a true lab and conduct research. There she could better serve Amaryllis... and the will of Rhysol.

Golems worked this place and she noted slaves here and there carrying this or that materials. Pulser slaves tended to be the ones to handle menial labor, before Anna had given them no more thought than one might give a dog or other animal. However, thinking about it the sorceress realized that she had been overlooking an entire resource, a possible wellspring of converts to Rhysol's fold. Pulser's tended to get the short end of the stick, thus were far easier to tempt with honeyed lies and false promises.

The blistering heat of this place washed over her as she walked, the loud sound of hammer on metal ringing in her ears. Screeching machinery sounded out all around her, the progress of industry. She'd made certain to dress in her better attire today, preferring not to be mistaken for a slave. Her tunic was absent most of the wear and tear of her older shirt, her trousers looked relatively fresh and sandals adorned her feet. Gloves concealed her fingers, a precaution as most often touching someone brought with it the strong desire to curse them. The only thing of noticeable wear and tear on her was her tattered cloak. The Apprentice wore the ring of her rank with open pride, it alone elevating her above the pulsers that scurried here and there.

Ivak's lifeblood poured all about the massive chamber, more than she could dream of producing. While the heat was oppressive Anna was somewhat used to it having worked extensively with the lava para-element. It was the first para-element she'd ever utilized, perhaps even the most powerful one in her arsenal. Though, she had always possessed the water of Matthews Bay to temper the heat and here it was all around her. Best to conclude her business quickly and be out of here.

The issue here was that she doubted that the Golems were going to be able to assist her in this endeavor, even if they could they were likely programed to only respond to Nuits. So it stood to reason that she needed to search out for a pulser slave, perhaps one of them could be of relative assistance. If not... well it never hurt to have contacts in all placements of the Citadel, even the lowest of persons could have a well spring of information.

Her grey eyes searched around, finally seeing a possibly useful one that could assist her today. As she approached she observed that the man was short, rather malnourished, pathetic looking really. His flesh stained with the air of his craft, though she picked out pale spots here and there. Really Anna observed him to be weak, however she placed a warm smile on her lips anyway. Best to take the camaraderie approach.

"Greetings, my good man. I was looking for someone to assist me with something, perhaps you might be that someone?" She said, inclining her head slightly in the subtlest display f courtesy.

On impulse the woman took out her waterskin and held it out, raising and eyebrow. It was always a good idea to open with kindness, as much as it wounded her pride to do so. Rhysol was the Patron of manipulators and liars, so she needed to improve on those aspects. A little kindness went a long way.

"Thirsty?" She inquired.
Last edited by Annalisa Marin on December 7th, 2013, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Osd on December 6th, 2013, 10:22 pm

Sweltering heat, dry air reeking of sweat, his own aching muscles and the grumbling of his stomach. Long ago Osd had learned to ignore those things and focus on only two things. The work he was doing and the almost endless list of work that still awaited him. Those where the only things that mattered in this hall of fire and heat. And the only things that kept him from becoming just another short lived test subject. So he threw himself in his work with vigor one wouldn't expect from the malnourished man. His hammer was never idle and kept on ringing till the overseer's told him he could stop.

He took a pair of tongs of the rack and pulled a glowing hot slab of metal out of the forge and rested it on his anvil. He didn't know what he was making exactly. It could be a part of a golom. Could be something else. All he knew were the desired end dimensions and form of it. And the fact that after this one he needed to make four more of them before he could move on to the next one. He began to pound the iron into shape, keeping a fast but steady rythem and a sharp eye on the color of the metal. He began lenghtening the form. Slowly thinning the bar of mettal and making it longer and wider. Three across seven long and a tenth thick. That was what this order said. He also needed to make a few holes and indents at the side in it. Then bend it at the halfway point in a 120° angle.

He was just ready with hammering the iron in the right shape and cutting the holes when a woman approached him. He gave a quick glance to the color of the metal. The collor of a deep red cherry. It was becoming to cold. He put the slab of iron back in the forge to heat up for a while. Burrying it deep within the coals.

“Seems like you really want something. Otherwise you wouldn't bother to be polite.” Osd dryly commented at her offer of water.He was reasonably sure the overseers weren't watching right now. And that the woman wasn't dumb enough to sabotage a cog in the sahovian machine by poisoning him. He was expendable but it was always a bother. So he grabbed the offered water skin and took a few quick but large gulps. Still the offer at least got his thirst fixed and grabbed his attention.

“So what do you need to get forged quickly enough that you couldn't go through the usual request channel?” He said as he gave the waterskin back. “What do you got to convince me to make it for you anyway? I'm always up to my neck in work. Why is it important for me to squeeze you up the line and delaying the rest of my orders?” He said in a matter of fact tone. Checking on the part heating up in the forge at the moment. Still not the bright white he wanted to start again.Pretty obvious that she wasn't the first person to go straight to the source with that. “Just a drink of water isn't going to cut it.”
Osd
Slave blacksmith

Words: 70151
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 8:06 pm
Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on December 6th, 2013, 11:14 pm

His comment annoyed her, however the sorceress outwardly took the comment in stride so as to avoid looking as though he'd gotten to her. Besides he'd taken the water anyway, so it was just a matter of building off of that. Not a difficult task all things considered, being Amaryllis' Apprentice for this long had taught her much and being a Chaon taught her even more. Anna took the container back and swished it around to gauge how much was left, not much but her frequent meals courtesy of the Chief Embalmer assisted it curbing too much hunger or thirst.

"Perhaps it is I'm just normally polite because that how my mother raised me? Though you are right that I would rather have this than not, going through the regular requisitions would require a special order which I'd rather not have to explain the reason for. I'd rather not be so inconvenienced. Its useful when looking for items like swords or clothing, other than that, well you know." She explained, shrugging slightly.

She drew a little closer, making certain to stay out of the swinging path of any of his tools. Anna admired the smell of industry here, it reminded her of the dangerous iron taste on her tongue just before she pushed into overgiving. Dangerous things were her favorite things, magical or otherwise.

Idly Anna considered what the petch a slave could want from her, at first she overthought it with money. That was promptly discarded, what would a slave need money for? Nor did he require magical items, or magic at all for that matter not that Anna considered that in seriousness. Magic was only bartered for two reason, other magic could be learned or she wanted to manipulate the other person. Tsaba, the first person she'd initiated into Reimancy, was in the latter category.

Being a slave his needs were simple, so perhaps simple things could be done to procure his assistance. That boiled it down to a few possibilities, pleasure and food being among them. The latter seemed more likely than the former to work, after all it wasn't like he likely ate that well. An investment of Mizas at the Syncrograph Office could see him better fed for a time. A few words to Amaryllis could see some of her own meals redirected to him for a little while, a few days perhaps or a week at the most. A steep price as she was loath to give up her two meal a day schedule for only a single one but a necessary sacrifice. Besides, if she got what she needed she'd be fed more often anyway as a full Wizard.

"I could see to it you are fed more frequently, if you'd like. I doubt the schedule they have you on is one that encourages nutrition. Or if you desire something else name it and I'll consider it." Anna offered.

It wasn't that big of a deal really, especially considering that the task she desired was simple. Nothing too costly or time consuming but it would be rather helpful in the presentation. The investment to the Office would naturally have to come from her own pocket, or from her own meals. A pity really, but progress demanded sacrifice.

"The task I need done is rather simple anyway, I require five balls made of any metal, that could fit in palm of my hand comfortable. Lighter metals would be preferred." She stated.

"Ah! I don't believe I introduced myself properly. My apologies, the island's poor mannered inhabitants must be rubbing off on me. I am Annalisa Marin, Apprentice Wizard under Chief Embalmer Amaryllis. Might I have the pleasure of your name, sir?" She asked, her tone indicative of her educated background.

She made certain to appear as cordial as possible throughout, her smile still in place. Politeness was rather important, as long as she kept it consistent her act was fine. It was also important to keep her educated side to the forefront, allowing her refinement to shine even here in the dust and ashes of the Forge.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Osd on December 7th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Osd kept quiet as the woman was talking. The majority of his attention was still focused on the heating metal in the forge. He highly doubted she was raised in any polite society. People raised in polite society didn't end up on this isle of the dead. He checked upon the metal again, it was the bright white that he needed to. With practiced movements he pulled the part out of the forge and brought it back on the anvil. Starting to bend the slab at the required place. After it was bent he he began to hammer the round bend into a corner. He kept a close eye on her when she took a few steps closer to his working space. But as soon as he saw she didn't get in the way he didn't care anymore.

Seeing that this part was finished he lowered in the water bath to cool it off. Taking a quick step backwards to prevent the steam from hitting him. Wasn't fun to get your only set of clothes drenched in hot water. Made the rest of the working day a pain to get through. He gave the finished part a few wacks with his tongs before depositing it back on his anvil. This time however he put the hammer back in his toolbelt and took out a wirebrush. He Quickly began to brush of the sooth and other crud that was still sticking to the part.

“More food and water sounds like a good deal.” He commented. “You're right that I don't get much food around here.” He looked over the metal part. Judged that it was clean enough and dropped it in the bin. He grabbed his tongs again and took a fresh bar of steel. Putting it back in the forge. When she mentioned what exactly she wanted he finally looked up from his work. Giving a look at her hands. They were a bit on the bit side, her being so tall. But nothing out of the ordenary.

“Five balls that fit comfortably in your hand. I could make them hollow to save on metal and weight. That's going to be more difficult and time consuming though. Does the metal need to be soft enough to carve something into?” He turned his attention back to the forge, checking on the heating metal.

“If the metal needs to be soft enough to carve something into. I'll have to use brass or bronze. Depends on how strong the metal balls have to be.” He pulled the bar of steel out of the forge and began hammering on it. This part would have to be exactly the same as the last one.
“Either way. You'll double my food and water rations for five day's after I delivered the items. A day or two more if you need it made out of a carvable alloy. Depends on whether you want it made out of brass or bronze.” he wasn't negotiating. He was simply stating the price he demanded.

He was pretty surprised that she was actually bothering to introduce himself to just a lowly slave. But chalked it up to wanting to appear friendly and maybe pulling down the price. Or getting influence or something. Those sahovian wizards always liked to play their political games.
"I'm Osd messer." He didn't sound particularly impressed by her string of titles she spouted out. All sahovian wizards were pretty much the same in his eyes. Besides nobody with any political clout came down here themselves. They either send somebody else or had their orders brought in with higher priority.
Osd
Slave blacksmith

Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on December 7th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Anna felt a wave of indignation cross her mind and the darker parts of her mind were telling her to curse this worm for having audacity to make demands. She allowed a small part of her mind to briefly indulge in the chaotic urge, pulling out of it quickly enough. Cursing him would be unwise, there were other places she could do that such as the Dungeons. That and she would rather have what he offered than not, earning him a reprieve from her wrath. Then again he didn't really need to speak for a week to do his job. Technically. Maybe.

The sorceress thought about the actual materials, thinking long and hard about that. Etching Glyphs was not a new concept to her, she'd just never actually attempted it. The Glyphs could easily be placed on their with Inscribing Paint and a small enough brush, that was how she'd handled the rocks. Perhaps though it would be wise to branch out. She did ask for five balls, one or two could be used experimentally with compressed air.

Next Anna considered the price, five balls made of brass would run her about... 6 days worth of doubled meals so likely two meals each day just like she received. That would run her about 6 GM's for relatively common meals, perhaps extra if she was pleased with his work. It embarrassed her slightly to have to resort to counting with her fingers, however mathematics were not her forte.

Lets see, five added to five is ten. It takes ten silver Mizas to make a gold so that would mean a gold each day he'd want a doubled meal. So yes, 6 Gold Mizas is right. Damn you Gnora for requiring logic for math. Anna thought, staring at her fingers just to be sure.

Mental blasphemy against the Goddess of Order aside Anna regarded the man, Osd Messer being his name. An odd name, then again Amaryllis had said the same thing about her own name. Annalisa Marin was far more elegant sounding, so obvious the Embalmer had know idea what she was talking about. It was her mother's choice after all, her brother's name though was a tad odd. Elric Marin, not exactly elegant and not exactly common.

"Hmm... very well, if your work is satisfactory I'll see to it you receive six days where you receive double rations. I'll request brass as their strength is not overly important, simply their ability to be etched and thrown. I'd say carve out the core to save on weight. Also I would prefer you finish by the 15th." Anna replied, nodding in affirmation while still keep up the façade of politeness.

Idly she wondered if they were listening, trying to learn exactly what her work was. Of course they were listening, they were always listening and waiting as they tried to steal her work. Granted she didn't know who they were exactly, but they were listening whoever they were. She was very careful about watching her words, couldn't let them learn her secrets. It was bad enough she'd spoken in the Dungeons aloud her greatest secret to Celeste, no doubt they knew who her master was then. No matter, Rhysol would rule over Sahova one day and she would be his instrument.

She turned her attention to Osd's actual work, noting his craft with mild interest. It looked rather time consuming in her opinion, also rather pointless in some respects. He could create his finest suit of armor or metal and all it would take for Anna to destroy it would be an idly flick of her wrist, summoning the power of lava or lightning. Then again, Anna often wore her own weapons, crude as they might be they were effective.

"Hmm... I'm curious, Osd, what is the actual process of this metalsmithing? How does one start and how does one finish?" She asked, observing the motions Osd went through.

Anna was a curious person by her nature, the madness gripping her mind only increasing that to nearly illogical levels. The heat of this place was oppressive but she saw no reason why she should leave just yet, one never knew when information was useful. Conversely it was more of a chance to get a gauge of this Osd, seeking information about his craft and by extension himself. Rhysol smiled on such endeavors, especially when carried out with a warm expression.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Osd on December 7th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Osd ignored when she began counting on her fingers. Her aptitude, or lack of it, in math wasn't his problem. Besides if he had to be honest he wasn't that good with math himself. Just good enough to calculate his prices way back when he was still in sunberth. Gods that had been a long time ago.
He nodded when she told him she wanted the balls ready for her on the 15th. Of course he could deliver them a lot earlier if he put his back under it. Despite the relative difficulty he had enough time where he could create those things. And he only needed to make five small ones at that. But the woman asked to get them on the 15th so on the 15th she would get them.

“Alright. Because it's not an official delivery, I can't let them be delivered to your quarters or your labspace. So you'll have to come and get them.” He informed the apprentice as he lowered the part he was working on in the water bath. The water hissing and letting out a could of steam. Once again he dropped it on the anvil and began brushing of the black sooth of the part. When she asked him how the process of metalsmithing worked. He looked up, for the first time when she had been talking to him actually pausing for a few moments in his work. The shock only lasted for a few scant moments before he began brushing the part again.

“That's one I haven't heard before.” He repressed the urge to just tell her that he started at the start and finished with the ending. But demanding favors in return for his goods was one thing. Even the most vain wizard usually caved on that part. Actively antagonizing one was not something that was good for ones health. It wasn't as if she was going to out preform him on blacksmithing anyway. He gave the part he had been working on a few gentile taps with his brush to shake of the last of the black sooth and dropped the part in the bin.

“This isn't metalsmithing, it's blacksmithing. Metalsmithing is another discipline entirely. Consisting of creating alloy's and using casts.” He cleared that misconception up. “You start with taking the base material and heating it.” as he was saying he used the tongs to grab a bar of steel and put them in the forge. Letting the heat of the lava flow heat the metal rapidly. “You look at the color to see when the metal is warm enough.” When the metal was beginning to glow white hot he pulled it out of the forge and moved it to the anvil. “Then you just hammer it into the shape you want.” Osd did just that, quickly and efficiently hammering the metal into it's desired form. He needed to reheat the metal once before he finished. But when he judged it done he lowered it in the water basin. Once again sidestepping the hot steam rising up.

“Then you cool it and remove the leftover sooth and impurities clinging to the surface. Otherwise the animators will complain.” he finished it up and dropped it in the done bin.After that explanation he just continued working. Wondering what the wizard would do now.
Osd
Slave blacksmith

Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on December 7th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Anna was a little annoyed that she'd need to return here to pick up the order, but such was the way of things. The time gap would hopefully give her more time to perfect the Trigger, she needed more specifics added to it in order for a proper function. Otherwise she'd need to resort to verbal Trigger, which would not display a higher function of Glyphing to the Council. She needed to show her best, her absolute best during the assessment. Still, perhaps verbal might be a good base to build off of, at least for basic testing. Yes, that was logical.

So Metalsmithing and Blacksmithing were two entirely different fields? Interesting, very interesting. She watched very carefully as he worked, noting that it was a good thing he wore that protective gear otherwise he might very well fry. The actually process seemed simple enough in theory, enough so that the Sorceress was tempted to take a crack at it. Idly she wondered if Reimancy could be used in the actual process of heating the metal and cooling it, at her skill heating wasn't a problem but cooling was still out of her reach.

His explanation seemed to indicate that he at least knew his craft, perhaps he'd done it before arriving. Amaryllis' slaves certainly looked rather poorly kept, it occurred to her that her own research might very well require a few test subjects. Best not to invite Celeste over on those days, considering her reaction in the Dungeons it likely wouldn't please her. Anna for her part was perfectly fine with it, though she'd much rather keep something like that than kill it. She did have something of an itch to scratch since leaving Zeltiva, a pity Sahova lacked brothels.

By this point Anna was sweating, though she doubted anyone could really blame her considering the heat of this place. By Rhysol how she wanted to leave, though an opportunity was an opportunity so she decided to tarry for a few moments longer. If nothing else she admired the short man's tenacity, it took will and endurance to survive in this place. That kind of thing might be useful, as might he himself if she actually managed to gain funding from the Council. Her projects would likely require this or that odd material.

"Fascinating! I would imagine that lava being the primary heat source here this blacksmithing takes less time than it normally would? These casts that this Metalsmithing requires, does it include weaponry like swords or daggers? Or does that belong to Blacksmithing?" She asked.

Would that mean that her own sword and dagger came from here? Her chain shirt? It was likely, given the Citadel's vast resources making weapons and armor seemed rather simple. Perhaps Osd himself had made them, it was interesting now that she was standing in the source of industry in the Citadel. Pandaemus probably got most of his golem materials from here.

"Also, what is the normal base material for blacksmithing? Iron? Steel?" Anna asked.

Steel seemed logical, steel was a commonly used metal and iron had a tendency to rust rather quickly. Steel certainly seemed like something the Citadel would use, however one never knew. This whole thing was new to her, magic being her primary field matters of physical strength were hardly thought of. Speak of which she really needed to start practicing using her sword, wouldn't do her much good if she couldn't use the petching thing.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Osd on December 7th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Questions and questions. Of all the wizards who showed their head down here it was just the one whose distaste of the heat was overshadowed by her curiosity in blacksmithing. At least she wasn't asking completely retarded questions to him.

“It's faster, that's not always a good thing though. Metals don't just melt, when they become hot enough they pretty much become useless. Nothing more then worthless slag. So you gotta keep an eye out for that when using a lava forge.” Osd said as he continued working on his order. “It's actually quite interesting to see.” With quick movements he grabbed a small piece of steel from the ground, obviously some kind of refuse, and dropped it in the forge.Then continued to work it wasn't large enough that the overseer was going to punish him for wasting it. And maybe watching that would satisfy her curiosity for a moment.

“As for making weapons with metalsmithing. It's possible. But they aren't as good as smithed ones. Casting is pretty much just making a cast of whatever you want to have as an end result and then pouring the metal in it. cast iron and steel is heavier and breaks more easily. Not really useful for weapons. Handy for mass production though.” he never had forged a weapon, but he had enough experience with the casting and normal blacksmithing processes that he could figure those things out on his own.

As he was talking the piece of metal he had left in the forge was heating up. Going from a light pink, to a cherry red, then to a white hot and then it suddenly cracked and seemingly dintegrated in a blackish powder. Osd used his tongs to wipe the powder away. “In normal forges that takes a lot longer.”

“Casting is mostly used when we need to make something that has to be exactly the same. Like gears. Or if we need to make fine things.” Osd finished his explenation on metalsmithing and blacksmithing.

“As for a normal blacksmithing metal. There isn't one. You use the metal or alloy that's most suited for the thing you want to create. But steel is a very versatile one. Though here in sahova we use a lot of strange alloy's from time to time.” Even though he had been annoyed a bit at the woman's behavior and still was annoyed at her uptight and better then thou tone. It felt nice to have somebody listen and pretend to care about your craft and the very thing that kept you alive.
Osd
Slave blacksmith

Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on December 8th, 2013, 12:05 am

Anna listened carefully to Osd's explanation, nodding to herself as his words did indeed make sense. It begged the question though as to whether the lava she could create could yield such dramatic results, probably. The sorceress had never actually attempted it before so it would be a project for later if nothing else, she was a very powerful reimancer after all. The dark haired woman thought carefully about it for a moment, observing as the metal changed.

Once it reached a white hot color it pretty much just crumpled to unusable twisted scraps, impressive. Anna smiled at the sight, not one of cordiality, but rather one that appreciated the sheer destructive power she witness. An odd chaotic light entered her eyes as she imagined a wall of lava enveloping an armored warrior, the shining armor crumbling away as the person was fried alive. Ah, reimancy was so satisfying to use in most instances, that was something her and Maelstrom had in common at least.

She emerged from her own visions regarding the slave once more, her eyes fell upon an errant piece of scrap metal. The sorceress bent and picked it up, grateful for her own gloves to provide protection, knowing the heat down here it was probably scalding hot. It likely wasn't big enough to be usable for anything so Anna bit the tips of her left glove and yanked it off with her teeth. She wanted to try something as long as she was down here, might as well do it now.

The woman took in a few deep breaths, annoyed by the oppressive metallic scent. She focused deep within herself as she cycled her breathing, holding her bare hand above the piece of metal. Anna focused upon the energy held deep within herself, the power that laid in the heart and spirit of all things in this world. With that focus upon her Djed she also focused upon the concept of protection, the desire to make safe something important to herself.

Her bare hand was already starting to feel the heat but she ignored it for now, she needed complete focus for this task. Shielding was a very difficult field of Djed manipulation, at least for someone like her as destruction was easier than creation. Still she kept her focus and started arching her fingers in and out, gestures to keep her focus on the task at hand. Once she had preferred incantations, and she still used them for certain magic like Voiding but this was different.

The woman wouldn't speak through this process, not acknowledging the man as she concentrated, willing her Djed to gather in her hand. It was simple to focus it there but the next task was rather more complicated. From here she focused within herself at the emotions of protectiveness, the desire to create also being chief among them.

After a chime thin strands of purple energy stretched out from her fingers and attached themselves to the metal, the hand that was holding it already working it and moving it. The energy was made to start wrapping around it, attempting to create a weave of sorts that surrounded it. She simply kept working the magic into the metal, her focus solely on the task at hand and the energy flowing out her.

The metal glowed purple as she worked, the power still being placed around it remaining visible to the naked eye. It really didn't matter to her if Osd was put off by it, she really only needed his assistance with one thing here. Anna continued to work her vital energy around the scrap, her grey eyes searching for any gaps she could find and quickly sealing them up. To get an accurate result the Shield needed to be complete.

Anna halted her ministrations, examining her work thus far and deciding to let the slave in on what she wanted done. It was a trifling task really, but somewhat important to her research into the field. It wasn't like he could refuse either, he was a slave to the Citadel and Anna was an Apprentice to one of the most powerful figures in the Citadel. Really the contrast between them was as stark as night and day.

"In a chime or two I'm going to ask you to take this piece of metal and beat it with your hammer. I wish to test the physical resistance of the shield, it will only take a couple of chimes and then I'll leave you to your work until the 15th and include a bottle of wine with your first meal." She stated, not looking at him but rather the weave of her shield.

She noted a few gaps in the design with some distaste, already forcing more Djed from her fingers around the metal. It was draining but tolerable, this wasn't her first time using the discipline after all. She wasn't floundering about in the dark anymore, she had some idea of how it generally functioned.

The purple strands were weaved around the scrap with care and patience, the sweat on her brow growing a bit more heavy as she worked. Each new addition to the weave was more of her own vital energy gone, however it also meant that she wasn't going to pass off an incomplete shield. Anna hated leaving tasks half finished.

Finally she reexamined it, noting that while uneven there were no gaps to be found in the overall weave itself. That would have to do for her purposes. She held the metal out for Osd, raising a single eyebrow expectantly.

"Shielding is an entirely protective magic, it can't harm you if you have any doubts or worries. Just take it and tap at it with your hammer please." She stated, knowing well the fear non-wizards had of any magic. Most didn't distinguish between magic anyway. Fools.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Osd on December 8th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Just as Anna was working on her wizardly thing. Osd kept working on his own order. The affairs of wizards and the undead were things that shouldn't be meddled in by people who didn't know anything of them. You just might learn something about magic and he rather liked his sanity were it was. He didn't want it to end up shattered like a dropped mirror. His mind being like that broken mirror's reflection. He just hoped that watever she was doing it wouldn't end up involving him in some way. He was pretty sure that hope was pretty vain. Since when did things ever go his way?

Just like he had thought anna turned to him and held the piece of scrap out to him. He didn't see anything unusual to it. But he just knew that she had been doing something to it. Why else would she have been staring at it for a good while? And offering him a bottle of wine to hit it with a hammer? Those things just didn't add up in his mind and he was weary. Had she been dissatisfied with the price she needed to pay and wanted to get back at him? Protective magic or not, the second thing you learned as a slave was not to hit, poke or smash something that might have been magical without knowing what it did. Then again, first thing you learned was not to disagree with a wizard or nuit. For the minds of wizards were twisted and human's were pretty flammable. Still maybe he could at least get something better out of it then just a bottle of wine. After that one incident he didn't drink anymore.

“I don't drink. I don't think any of the overseers would like any of their slaves drinking wine. No matter how small the amounts are. It hurts productivity.” Maybe he could use it as a barganing chip when bartering with others. But there was always a chance one of the human wizards would just demand he hand it over.

“So if you want me too bash on something with magic you'll have to offer me something that won't get taken away almost instantly the moment I get my hands on it.” She hoped she at least understood the entire, I don't do things, especially potentially dangerous things, for free.
Osd
Slave blacksmith

Character sheet

Next