Solo [The Great Bazaar] Winter Wardrobe

This Winter is a harsh one. Wanda goes to buy some more appropriate attire.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Great Bazaar] Winter Wardrobe

Postby Wanda Endust on December 14th, 2013, 11:41 pm

The Great Bazaar
12 Winter, 513AV
Around Noon

Wanda gently touched a pair of fingers to her lips. The sensitive skin was cracking and bleeding, dried out from the Winter air.

The season had rolled in far colder than anyone had anticipated, and the clothing market was certainly taking advantage of the situation. Nearly everyone with spare cloth to sell had their product set out, flapping it in the faces of startled browsers who were probably only looking for some new dinnerware.

Some such "man of business" (as he'd so charmingly put it) was leering at Wanda from across his booth. The first thing Wanda had noticed about him was his grubby face. That was about five chimes ago. Now, Wanda found herself glancing warily at his grubby paw of a hand as it tapped impatiently on the counter.

"So what'll it be, lady?"

Hm? Oh, yeah. Before her sore lips had distracted her, Wanda had been in the middle of picking a sweater. The vendor had laid two different ones before her. The best of his stock. Not that that was saying much -- they were each fairly ugly in their own way.

One was an olive button-up which had since lost its buttons and had now been sewn closed down the front. The sleeves were too short. The other was a simple, gray, woolen shirt with too many patches to count. It seemed to be made of a sturdier, warmer material than the other and, though the sleeves were a bit baggy, they were the right length.

The man gazed Wanda up and down as he waited with a lecherous grin, giving the girl a feeling of being doused in mud.

"This one," Wanda declared, breathing a sigh of relief that she would soon be away from this man. The fellow folded the patched sweater and pushed it towards her, tucking and other away in some hidden box.

The man belched.

"You're disgusting," Wanda blurted. What? It was true.

The man kept the smile on his face. "Some would disagree with you."

"I doubt that."

"I like a challenge."

"Riiight."

The man shrugged. "Three silver mizas."

Wanda wrinkled her nose. Besides the man's rank breath, that price was definitely more than the shirt was worth, but who was she to complain? She'd pulled in a pretty nifty paycheck from the Fall season, and she didn't want to be in this guy's company any longer than she had to.

She fished around in her coin purse, found the coins, placed them on the table, snatched her purchase, turned, and walked away. Behind her, the vendor whistled.

Wanda had made her way to his booth because the other clothing sellers seemed to be pretty busy. Now they weren't, and she made her way to the next shop easily, glad to be able to leave the man's stench behind.

ReceiptShirt, wool (medium), used (good), Med. size. Estimated price, 1sm 2cm. Actual cost, 3sm.
Last edited by Wanda Endust on December 15th, 2013, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Words: 178647
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on December 15th, 2013, 1:40 am

The next booth was considerably more upstanding than the last. The booth's attendant greeted Wanda with a warm smile. The teen smiled back, feeling a lot more upbeat now that she'd escaped that awful man's company.

"I was watching you with old Grub over there," chimed the woman behind the counter as Wanda approached. Wanda snorted, her lips curving into a wry grin.

"That's his actual name?"

The woman chuckled. "Heh, not really. Everyone here just calls 'im that 'cause... well, you know." She winked.

"Oh, I'm sure he can't be that bad all the time!" Wanda laughed, leaning against the counter.

"You'd be surprised." The woman raised her eyebrows. "But you look like you're here to shop more'n you are to chat. Anything I could help you with?"

Wanda shifted her eyes past the woman, where the vendor had a row of cloaks draped atop some makeshift rack. The teen's eyes lit up.
"Definitely!" she chirped, gesturing to the clothes. "I'm actually lookin' for some good Winter clothes -- I think a cloak falls into that category," she winked.

"Well, here ya go then!" the woman replied. "You looking for anything specific or..."

"Nah, I figure anything better than this'll do." Wanda pulled at her own cloak. It wasn't anything special, simply some kind of off-white cotton cover-up. She'd gotten a number of years ago -- it was a wonder it was still in good condition. Unfortunately, it was too thin to keep out the icy breezes this time around.

"Ah, think I've got just the thing." The woman turned to the rack, rummaging around for a chime or two. A couple cloaks feel to the ground, and the woman cursed lightly but didn't pick them up.

"How's about this?" She swung back around, flourishing a piece draped across her arm. Wanda regarded it with a light smile. Like her "new" sweater, it was made from wool, but finer in quality. From here, Wanda could see it was lined with some darkly-colored fur that extended to the trim.
Well, it'll definitely be warmer than this'un, she considered, comparing it to the one she wore now. The color wasn't too appealing though.

"Do you have any in white?"

The woman shook her head, a disappointed look crossing her face. "Not with the fur trim an' all," she explained, stepping to put the cloak back.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on December 15th, 2013, 1:48 am

"Wait! I didn't say I didn't want it!" Wanda laughed, beckoning to the shopkeeper. The woman made her way back with a relieved grin. "How much?"

The woman gave the garment a once over. "Twenty mizas," she declared with a friendly, yet definite, nod.

Wanda cocked an eyebrow.
"Twenty gold mizas?"

Before the woman could form a reply, a high-pitched voice piped up from nearby. "Oi! Cheaper than you'll find at, er, what's it called. 'And Elegant Weave'!" The sudden interjection gave Wanda a start. And another one when the speaker revealed itself.

"You're a... rat," Wanda stated dumbly. It was true, an oversized rat was peeking his head through the folds of the hanging cloaks. The shop keeper threw her head back in a laugh.

The rat seemed to sniff almost indignantly, but it was difficult for Wanda to tell from his... clay features? "I s'pose that's true. Though most would call me The Rat. Or Street Rat."

"Oh. Hi, uh, you can call me Wanda."

"Nice to meet'cha then, Wanda! Now, like I said, this lady here," he gestured with his little paw to the shop keeper, "will give ya a better deal than those hoity-toity folks at the Weave." He winked. "Anyhow, I gotta run!" With that, he retreated once more into the fray of cloth and booths, leaving Wanda slightly bewildered.

The other woman had been silent during the exchange, but now cast Wanda an expectant look. "Ah, he's just a pycon. But he's right! Twenty mizas is a bargain. What do you say?"

Wanda scratched her head. She wasn't sure what a "pycon" was, and The Rat certainly was a surprise, but at least he'd sounded pretty sincere.
"Ah, okay..."

With that, Wanda forked over the money, and the lady relinquished the cloak.

ReceiptCloak, wool (fine), small size, fur trim, fur-lined (common). Estimated price, 11gm 2sm 5cm. Actual price, 20gm.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)