Closed [The Enclave] Fire and Water

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[The Enclave] Fire and Water

Postby Turrin on February 22nd, 2014, 5:03 am

Turrin could tell his conversation about the dreams weren't sitting well with Endal Alori. She quickly said her opinion about his conclusion to his dreams. The teenager turned her attention back to the instructor. As quickly as Lavira arrived in class, the woman quickly left with the arrival of Kovac. As Turrin listened to the instructor, he glanced at the two of them. The other mongrel seemed in good spirits even though Lavira was bleeding. Deciding eavesdropping wasn't the best use of his time, Turrin decided to give Endal Palia his undivided attention. The Endal listened to his instructor talk about the basic needs for starting a fire. The main ingredients for starting a fire was tinder, kindling, and wood. She explained that tinder was anything easily combustible like grass, leaves, and fungus. Palia told them that bark and twigs were a good source of kindling, and she explained a good technique for making your own kindling in wet weather situations was making a feather stick. Palia held up a example of a stick that was cut in a way where the piece of wood looked like a feather. Turrin thought it looked simple enough and decided to keep it in mind for next spring.

Turrin leaned forward as he watched her explain and demonstrate the Hand Drill Method. Palia explained that he needed to first make a wood board of soft wood. She explained soft wood was wood you can damage with just your nail. She explained that he needed to cut a v-shaped hole in the wood board. The next step is place tinder and kindling under the hole. Turrin relived that he would have to practice the method since he would have to use a wood spindle and the motion of his hands to ignite the spark in the nest of tinder and twigs. The next method was the Bow Drill Method. She explained that it was similar to the Hand Drill Method, but he needed to use hard wood board instead of soft wood boards. Palia explained that he needed to lubricated the board with oil, so she explained the sweat from your face would work fine for the lubrication. She explained that he would need to cut a v-shaped into the wood and lubricate the spindle too. She explained that he could use his own bow for this method, but first, he would need to spin his bowstring around the spindle. It seemed complicated and the risk of snapping a bowstring might be to great to use the method, but he would keep it in mind as a fire starting technique. When she was finished explaining, Turrin stuck up his hand and asked politely, “I have a question about the bow drill method. If you didn't have a bow on you, are you out of luck in using the method, or is their another way to get this method to work?”
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kovac on March 6th, 2014, 12:41 pm

Once Lavira slipped from the room Kovac settled into her chair. The mongrel began to answer Alori, but Palia made it clear that her class had had enough interruption, and Kovac gave the teen a shrug before giving Turrin a nod and then giving the gruff Endal his attention. Lavira would certainly quiz him upon his return to the aerie, desiring him to regurgitate the lesson so she too could benefit from Palia's teaching.

Kovac was an experienced hunter, and quite familiar with wilderness survival, certainly with building a fire. But as Palia continued with her lesson, the Avora realized that he had become very proficient in his way of doing things. Just like he had indeed learned things he had not thought about in the Tracking class, Kovac saw that he really had no idea how to start a fire with out his trusty flint and steel, nor thought particularly about the type of wood he used.

The alternate methods seemed very tedious, both relying of friction created with a lot of repetitious effort. But if one should find themselves without flint and steel (anything could happen in the Unforgiving), being able to start a fire with the drill or bow method could mean the difference between life and death. That was enough to hold Kovac's interest. Hai, he even learned a thing or two about starting a flint and steel fire.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Alaia on July 31st, 2014, 6:00 pm

Turrin

Turrin :
Wilderness Survival +2 XP

Lores

• Fire first, Water second, Food third
  • Boil water before drinking
  • Eating without hydration causes digestive problems
  • A person can survive three weeks without food
  • A person can survive only three days without water
  • Types of tinder: grass, leaves, fungus
  • How to make a feather stick
  • Hand drill method of starting a fire
  • Bow Drill method of starting a fire
  • Oils from your face can be a lubricant
  • Flint and Steel method of starting a fire
  • Alori: Thinks dreams about Azira are creepy

Additional comments

Lore galore! I actually learned a few things myself from this quest. Please update your post in the grade request thread to show this thread as completed. :D

Kovac

Kovac :
Additional comments

Should you decide to become active again with this character I will happily award you, your grade! Please PM me to let me know.

• Permission given by Mirage to grade this thread.

I will do my best to give you what grades you have earned! However, if there is something you feel I missed or anything you have questions on please don't hesitate to PM me and we can talk.

Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes