Location The Magistrates Office, Apply for Freeborn Status

A place to apply for freeborn status and jobs

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

The Magistrates Office, Apply for Freeborn Status

Postby Eivl on August 30th, 2014, 10:02 am

Finding her way into the Magistrate's Office, Eivl looked around carefully at the big white room. It truly was fitting of its name, though she suspected the room behind the heavy-looking cyphrus wood door was the actual Magistrate's Office. She could not really imagine a finer room than this, and would happily live here if it wasn't crawling with people of all sorts with their inquiries and forms. Frankly, she felt very out of place here in her chemise and corset. She was worried her application might be turned down for being underdressed.

"Good day, how may I help you?" asked Rachel Sorhond, the Magistrate's Assistant. It was a well-seasoned tone, and Eivl got the impression that she'd said that exact phrase at least a thousand times now. Eivl saw the brazier on the table with the pokers, and shuddered a little. She hoped that contact with water did not count as 'touching' the brand as she did enjoy swimming.
"Yes, excuse me, I'd like to register as a freeborn in Kenash please." Eivl said, as quickly and clearly as she could. She was handed a form, which she filled out in a similar fashion.

Name: Eivl
Place of Birth: Abura
Job Title seeking: Engraver (Apprentice)
Freeborn Status:(yes or no) Yes
Relevant skills: Etching (26, Competent)
Do you have any slaves that are coming in with you from outside of Kenash: No

Eivl handed the pen and paper back swiftly, so as to show the very busy Assistant that she did not want to waste time either.
"That's pronounced 'eye-vuhl'. If that is sufficient, I should like to have the mark on my left hand, on the back, so as to not hinder any potential work I might have." Eivl said, smiling good-naturedly.
Eivl
Early Retirement

Words: 22708
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2014, 4:53 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet

Postby Catriona on September 3rd, 2014, 7:11 am

20th day of Fall, 514 AV

Having spent a nearly three weeks in Kenash, Catriona decided to stay. She walked into the magistrates office and asked for an application form for freeborn status.

"Application for freeborn status, please." she said smiling.

The blonde lady behind the counter nodded and handed her a clip board to fill out. "Just hand that in when you're done."

Application :
Name: Catriona Scott
Place of Birth: Zeltiva
Job Title seeking: Reimancer
Freeborn Status: yes
Relevant skills: Reimancy (earth and water)

Last edited by Catriona on September 4th, 2014, 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Catriona
Player

Words: 1385
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2014, 7:08 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Viszragoneszh on September 3rd, 2014, 8:00 pm

The Application (4th day of Fall, 514)
Several bells after his arrival, Goneszh had finished with the Traveler's Complex and headed across the street to the Magistrate's office. He was not about to invest much of his modest savings until he knew what status he could hope to enjoy here.

There was much about this town that held promise. As a freshwater Iyvess, the swampy environment and warm weather were a balm. Of course, he'd have to be very discreet about shifting to enjoy it in chosen form. It was loose and open, most anything being "legal", up until that point that it became a detriment to one of the big families, or 'Dynasties' as he heard them called.

Best of all, he could supposedly avoid the risk of slavery by applying for what was apparently called 'Freeborn' status. This was his immediate purpose now. Secure status, find work, find a place to stay. He knew he could stay at the Traveler's Complex during this transitional stage, but he wanted out of there as quickly as possible. It's floor plan reminded him all too much of a detention center, and he'd heard rumors of it becoming that very thing for people that tarried too long in establishing themselves.

He traveled the tree-lined corridor to the pillared manse, and paused a moment before entering. 'This is it.' he said to himself. 'Remember, you are a human, same as them. If they ask for your race, you are Benshiran, "Goneszh of the tent of Viszra". If any ask for the follow-up, it can be "of the children of Havid".'

He was used to avoiding the tell-tale "S" of Dhani speech. He'd long established a story of a "stuttering" malady to account for it. Giving him not only a reasonably believable excuse for the sound, but an equally understandable reason why he avoided words with "s"es in them. His common suffered somewhat as a result, but often he obtained a bit of "s-ss-sympathy" in exchange.

The woman at the large desk was curt, if not brusk, and they quickly arrived at the point where she handed him an application form. It was simple, and he was relieved to find that race was not one of the factors that was inquired about. However, the question of age was, as ever, a point he would have to lie about. He was one hundred, thirty six years old. He would put down sixteen and claim to have not noticed the ink's failure to flow on the number three, if it came to it.

He handed back the form.

Name: Goneszh, of the tent of Viszra
Place of Birth: Eyktol
Job Title seeking: Spiritist
Freeborn Status: (yes or no) Yes
Relevant Skills: Spiritism
Do you have any slaves that are coming in with you from outside of Kenash?: No
Goneszh, of the tents of Viszra, a child of Laviku
Viszragoneszh
Player

Words: 71032
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2014, 12:37 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Adhara on September 9th, 2014, 3:40 am

Time Stamp: 13th of Fall 514 A.V

It was Adhara's first day in Kenash and all she wanted to do was get this pain over with. Standing outside the door, there was a gentle breeze flowing past her. The night had just begun and she was in her Ethaefal form. Waiting outside of the door, in her long dress, she smoothed down the creases carefully and the satin fabric returned to it's clean state. It was true, she was nervous. Adhara knew how important it was for her especially to get this.

A slave was returning from wherever it was he had been. He stopped for a minute, staring at the horned beauty. There was a large burn on the side of his face and she felt sympathy for the man. Everything on his face read signs of fatigue and restlessness. Wincing as he walked towards the door to get it for her, it was obvious he was injured. " I can open a door, no need for you to do it for me." Adhara's silver eyes locked his and he said nothing but nodded.

Grasping the handle, twisting it and pushing forward she walked in. Taking the exquisite office she focused. Her posture was straight and walked elegantly. Adhara was sophisticated and came to the office for a purpose, there was no time to waste in her opinion. She was asked a simple question, Adhara was quick to answer, it was clear the woman had much to do other than spend her ticks dilly dallying. "I am applying for a Free Born status." Right away she was handed a simple form, to which she read quickly and filled it out quicker than she read if not faster.

Returning the quill to its ink and Ahdara held out the application. There was a simple smile on her lips that meant nothing special, just a thanks for her cooperation.

Name: Adhara
Place of Birth: Zeltiva Waters
Job Title seeking: Fortune Teller
Freeborn Status:Yes
Relevant skills: Fortune Telling (26), Aurstics (11)
Last edited by Adhara on October 24th, 2014, 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adhara
Fear is the product of imagination

Words: 21358
Joined roleplay: September 5th, 2014, 3:16 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on September 12th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Fall 25th, 11th bell 43rd Chime

In the name of all that is sacred he wanted to burn this place down to the ground, he really did. Just being in the vicinity of the fancy structure itself made him want to shyke on its lawn and piss on any flowers in its surrounding area. But he shouldn't do that else they'll be parading his head around a pike or use it for a ventriloquist act. The discomfort was highly visible on his face as he entered the room where he could apply for freeborn status, most of the Delegation and Knights got theirs already since they knew their stay would be a long one. Kreig priorly only hoped the talks finish fast but he knew that was unreasonable of him. The projected estimation was a season and a half after all.... no way it would take less than thirty days to get these trade deals out of the way.

Resigning himself to his fate he'd approached the desk where there was a pretty secretary who was blond, young.... and with a brazier next to here filled with hot coal and a branding iron that seemed to be cackling maniacally at the Brawler "Good day, how may I help you?" She said in a tone that evidently showed she had as much time for this shyke as he did.

'Well you can start by seeing a healer about that bitchy attitude of yours, but I don't think they have the power to fix it' He so wanted to say but alas, he could not. Instead he said "I'm applying for Freeborn status, Miss" He said in a respectful tone, flashing a friendly smile that was as sincere as Rhysol saying he wanted to everlasting world peace on Mizahar. Without wasting a tick she handed him a form from one of the many stacks resting atop of the desk.

Kreig took the form and looked it over, sighing miserably as he began to fill it out.

Name: Kreig Messer
Place of Birth: Sunberth
Job Title seeking: Mercenary
Freeborn Status: yes
Relevant skills: Crossbow, Longsword, Unarmed and Brawling
x
Last edited by Kreig Messer on September 13th, 2014, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Vice on September 13th, 2014, 7:44 am

Viszragoneszh: You have approval for your job and the mark on your left wrist. Due to the nature of your skin, it will take much longer for the brand to heal, but you are only allowed to wear bandages on it for 30 days. As of the 34th, it will take an additional twenty days to heal and the open air exposes the brand to contaminants. You can null this by visiting a healer to assist the process, but the brand must remain unaltered.

Adhara: Freeborn status approved and mark on the left wrist, posted in your SS thread which I linked to you. Please set a timestamp for your Freeborn mark acquisition, then your brand will heal in 30 days with no health complications.

Kreig: Same thing, except that you already have your SS. Just so ya know. However, due to you being a squire, your status in Kenash will depend also on your actions in the city and how they reflect on the Knighthood as well. Be careful! Things could get ugly :P

Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Ashen Shrike on September 26th, 2014, 11:39 am

Autumn the Second, A.V. 514

Hastily entered the white-haired Chaktawe mixed-blood into a seemingly pretentious little white room that challenged her own paleness and lack of imagination.
Ashen had for days contemplated and dreaded coming to the Magistrate to finally get he brand. Seeing a few others along the way with unsettling bandages wrapped around their arms or hands left plenty to look forward to. It wasn't so much the pain that bothered her, but the foolish notion that one could be free and marked alike. She was as calculated an individual as the worst, however, and knew the unfortunate truth that fame and fortune were freedom here. Her choices were simple and her decision equally swift: take no mark and risk enslavement, or take the mark and revel in the thousands of gold Miza the rich fools would throw away; her choice was obviously the latter.
"Good day, how may I-" begun the receptionist, only to be rudely and summarily cut short by Ashen's own straightforward-ness and haste.
"I can tell you're busy, and so am I - wait... nnno. Not really - so let's just get this over with."
Without a second glance, Ashen's hand was already quilling away at the paperwork. Before she knew it, everything was written up.
"I hope you don't mind but I can 'help' myself."
No one was going to mutilate Ashen's body but herself!
Again half-mindedly, Ashen laid her right palm flat atop the counter while grabbing a hot iron with her left. She grit her teeth and let out a feral grin before plunging the tip of the branding iron onto the flesh of her hand. In light shock, she winced one eye, trying her hardest to keep the other calmly fixated on searing flesh before her. All that escaped her mouth were hushed grunts and a slow, protracted yes.... When the mark was firm and ready, Ashen tossed the iron back in the brazier and looked back up with one eye open, sweat now glistening on her face.
"Welcome to Kenash, right? Was there anything else?" she asked.

Name: Ashen Shrike
Place of Birth: Riverfall
Job Title Seeking: -
Freeborn Status: Yes
Relevant Skills: Jewelcrafting, Metalsmithing
Signature Placeholder ; ~ ;
Ashen Shrike
Eyes Like Black Pearls

Words: 9115
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 2:00 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Harkon on September 28th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Timestamp: Fall 31, 507 AV

Harkon and his father, Lywah, entered the Magistrate's office, when a question was posed to his son. "You sure this is what you want? I know you always liked visiting here as a boy, but visiting and living here are very different things."

Harkon smiled to himself, his dad was going to miss him on his trade journeys. "I'm sure dad, and you can visit me anytime you're in town." His father nodded curtly, saying nothing. They walked up to the desk where a young blonde woman sat, who gave them a quick, "Good day, how may I help you?"

"I would like to apply for Freeborn status."

She handed him a form, and returned to the work she had before her. He filled it out under the studious eyes of his merchant father. Satisfied, he turned the form in. Then quite unexpectedly, his father spoke, not to him, but to the woman, "I have a few friends in the Morealis Dynasty. Could you see to it that my son here gets an attempt to work for them before any other? It would be much appreciated."

Harkon was quite surprised at his father asking for a favor, especially the way his head was bowed, supplicating himself to her graces. Benshira men, especially the merchants held in high esteem, were quite proud. This, at least in their own culture, would be considered quite the honor. Harkon wanted to embrace his father there, but didn't want to take away from the gesture he'd given. The pair stood there waiting for the woman's reply.

Name: Harkon, from the sons of Lywah
Place of Birth: Yahebah
Job Title seeking: Private Mercenary
Relevant skills: Battleaxe, Bodybuilding, Unarmed Combat
Harkon
Player

Words: 70170
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2014, 10:37 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Carin Rander on October 19th, 2014, 9:30 pm

x
Carin entered the room looking around before his attention was pulled to the woman sitting center of the room. "Can I help you" she asked. "Yes Ma'am. Im here to apply for freeborn status and work as a trapper if anyone needs it" he said with a smile. Hoping to earn some sort of favor with the woman. He took the form and sat down, filling it out slowly before returning to her. "There you go" he said.

Name: Carin Alexander Rander
Place of Birth: Kenash
Job Title seeking: Trapper
Relevant skills: Tracking Competent, Wilderness survival
Do you have any slaves that are coming in with you from outside of Kenash:No

x
Carin Rander
Carin Rander
Lets dance in a storm

Words: 6554
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2014, 10:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ravenna Raye on October 19th, 2014, 10:55 pm

x
Glowing with the progress she'd made thus far in her life with her bow and arrow, practicing in the woods and swamplands of Kenash on small game and wildlife, Ravenna made her way to the Magistrate's Office to apply for a job as a hunter for her beloved city of Kenash. Having grown up there, she knew the exact place to go. She could find it blindly if she needed to. Knocking as she entered the room to make sure she wasn't interrupting anyone elses' visit, a smile was flashed at Ms.Sorhond when asked what it was she could be helped with. "I'm here to apply for a job as a hunter wherever needed ma'am." She immediately sat down to fill out the appropriate form, not wishing to take up any more of the Secretary's time than necessary.

Name: Ravenna Raye
Place of Birth: Kenash
Job Title Seeking: Hunter
Relevant skills: Hunting near Competent, Weapon: Shortbow, Tracking, Wilderness Survival (Swamp)

Upon completion, Ravenna set the application down on the desk for Ms.Sorhond to look over, thanked her for her time and wished her a great day. Having said her farewell, she promptly exited the room to await the status of her application.
x
Ravenna Raye
Player

Words: 33663
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2014, 12:58 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext