Closed Board Exams [Mirage]

The time has arrived for Anna's wizard examination. Will her actions bring success or failure?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 10th, 2014, 4:56 am

Markus addressed her again, requesting both an explanation of her intentions and for an actual demonstration of her abilities. The former would be far more easier than the latter, as it didn't require complex combinations of opposite elements while not allowing them to cancel. It would also require the crossing of paths and combining them into something that was both fire and water. Both one and the other at the same time without causing destabilization of either. To a lesser it might appear an impossible challenge but to a master like Anna it was simple.

"My design for that particular item involved use of a Trigger on one side and the use of Paths to induce an interconnectivity to spread out the effects all over the ball rather than centralized in a single Focus. Switches are placed to break up the effects as needed. Barriers around the necessary areas contain the magic and are lowered when the trigger is activated." Anna explained, shrugging as though it were the simplest thing.

"I do indeed have an idea of how it could work, localizing and containing magical effects to certain areas on a weapon. For instance drawing a series of sigil Glyphs that contain a limited degree of fire reimancy and localizing the effects to a certain area via barriers and paths. Create a feedback loop and you have a continuously burning sword. Or one could be much simpler and place a large spell in the Sigil and have it be released rather like a scrolls. Like a throwing knife that explodes when it hits its target, or simple paralyzes and incapacitates them. Its all theory at this point, further tests would need to be run to see effectiveness and possibility." Anna explained, moving on to the next part of the questions.

"As for how they could be used in and around the Citadel, personal protection for one. Its not unheard of for wizards entering the Testing Grounds and finding death at the claws of the beasts there. Even the Wardens cannot be everywhere at once. As for mixing it with other disciplines, such as Animation and Alchemy its certainly possible. Golems made from Animations could benefit from having projectile based weaponry, no doubt they also benefit from possessing Glyphs over their surface. As for Alchemy... I will admit to possessing less knowledge about that than I would like. I can say that it could definitely be used in the practice of Summoning in preventing hostile creatures that get loose from surviving. Additional security measures as it were." Anna said, nodding to herself.

This little question and answer session Anna turned her attention to the floor, opening her satchel and removing an assortment of brushes and ink, her eyes already becoming a little distance as her mind went over various sequences. Balance was what she was looking for in this task, so the overall design would need to be balanced as well as. Not something overpowering or destructive, but harmonic in nature and shape. Fire that possessed the qualities of water, water that was still liquid but held the nature of fire.

Anna rolled up her sleeves and started working immediately, the first thing that came first was the central most Focus. Right away she realized that she would need to raise it up from the floor first off all, making it a raised dais for the finished product to rest upon. It was only right, so she focused within her self as she was kneeling and reached into that well spring that made up her energy, her Djed.

Translucent purple res was drawn frighteningly quick with seemingly barely a thought from Anna, slithering out to a spot in front of her and seeping into the ground. Idly she tapped a finger against the floor and willed a combination of both attraction and transmutation to take place, feeling a slight shiver of pleasure run down her spine as the Djed was burned to create new structure. Almost instantly a table like dais rose up before her, its surface flat and smooth like the floor. It was a few feet in diameter and a perfect circle, raised up so that it would reach her waist if she stood which she did.

The Sorceress then started on the central Focus her brushstrokes confident and almost seeming instinctual as they quickly created the stylized inverted triangle that made up her Focus. If one were to look at her it was as though everyone and everything in that room was no more important than stones on a marked path, or trees during a wilderness stroll. She was enraptured and consumed with her work, with her design.

The Central Focus was done quickly enough, Anna intended it to be the point where it all came together, so in a way she was starting at the finish. She placed a barrier around the Focus almost as an afterthought, the geometric sequences forming quickly and easily. It was geared towards containment, holding something in place. Once this was done she connected it to a Trigger, which she made a phrase.

When the following phrase is spoken, the trigger will activate and lower the Barrier to release the magic contained within:

When fire becomes water and water becomes fire, let the differences become similarities, the opposites become one.

This accomplished she actually left the dais for the time being and moved about two yards out from it. Here she knelt down and started on another Focus, ringing it with a Barrier when she was finished that possessed the same containment purpose. From here she walked to the opposite side of it and repeated the very same Glyphs, her brush bring art upon the otherwise barren surface.

One might think at first that her plan was to simply merge them on the dais in one go, which couldn't be further that what she had in mind. She was combining two prime elements that were in fact opposites, this was no minor Para-Element she was making. The Sorceress finished that pair of Glyphs and went around the dais in a circle, making each pair of Glyphs the same until she had eighteen of them all in a perfect circular pattern.

She stood back and observed it, noting her audience again with a slight start as though she had forgotten about them for a moment. She actually had for a little while there, the world melting away as she added artistry to it in her own way. The Sorceress shook her head and then started on the next step, adding the Paths to the overall design.

The tall woman stepped inside of the circle of Focus' and Barriers, starting to connect each one to another one a few Glyphs down. The Pathway of stylized geometric shapes came to life as she gave mental thanks to Master Markus' wording for giving her this idea. The Paths she made crisscrossed with certain other Paths at certain times and intervals. She added Switches as necessary to break up the necessary so the effects wouldn't get confused.

The theory she had was rather simple, when combining two entirely different elements it was best to ease them into the change. The needed them to interact and slowly obtain elements of the other's Djed make up and composition. This would ensure that the two elements would interact at least eight times briefly, slowly changing as they did. Once they reached the ninth cycle they would then meet at the centermost Glyph and combine full, with the hope that she would actually create a flickering flame made of water. It was a lengthy process but entirely possible in theory, with enough changes made upon the Djed of both water and fire.

She concluded her Paths with a final pair that wound their way up the dais and resulted in them combining in the centermost Glyph. This accomplished the tall Sorceress stood back from the complex Glyphing array, her eyes flicking over the whole thing as she rolled her shoulders. That had taken far longer than she would have thought, and it still wasn't over. She still needed to add Triggers to the circles.

The only one's that needed to be given verbal Glyphs were the starting pair, which she gave the same Trigger so they would activate at the same time. The Sorceress made the verbal Trigger as followed:

When the following words are spoken together, the trigger will lower the Barrier and allow the magic within to travel along the Path to the next destination:

Fire and Water.

This first verbal Trigger finished the Sorceress made the rest of the Triggers fairly simple, ones that would allow the flow to be kept until the very last central Glyph needed to be activated. They were was as followed:

When magic enters the Focus, the Trigger will activate, lowering the Barrier to send the magic along the next Path.

The last bit complete Anna stepped back again and looked over the overall array and was pleased with the finished product. Eight times the magic would intersect before meeting in the final Glyph, hopefully that would gain the desired results. It was the only way Anna could think off to safely and completely combine the two, it was rather like acclimatization in a way if the Sorceress considered it. Gradually getting the two used to each other before they moved on into something bigger.

Anna stepped to one of her starter Glyphs and took a deep breath, focusing within herself as she held out her hand and drew translucent purple liquid from it. Not much, just enough so that she could create a small flame with the substance. It was drawn frighteningly fast and the transmutation required very little conscious thought, the outer layer of the res bursting into a small flickering purple flame.

The Sorceress slowly lowered it into the Glyph she designated, transmuting the inner layers as she did. The flame vanished into the Glyph, so Anna moved around and pulled yet another small amount res into her hand. She drew exactly the same amount as she had with the flame, she couldn't afford one being more than the other as that might invite failure. She transmuted the outer layer to liquid water, which shimmered ever so slightly in the light. The little ball of water was willed closer and closer to the Glyph, its layers transmuted as it was before finally disappearing into the Glyph.

This task accomplished the woman stood back away from the sigil, sighing and rolling her shoulders again as she pulled her sleeves down and placed her hands inside of them calmly. She glanced around for a moment, this was it, the moment of truth. There was no petching way a lesser Glypher could create that layout, let alone attempt what she was trying to attempt. If she succeeded here then one would have to be an utter moron not to think her worthy of advancement, since without Glyphs what she was doing was very much in the realm of impossibility.

"Fire and Water." Anna said, activating the initial Trigger.

If everything then proceeded smoothly and the Glyphs activated in their sequence as intended, the elements crisscrossing along the Paths eight times before being absorbed into the central Glyph Anna would smile. That was all according to the plan and the theory, now she just would need to activate the central Glyph. If this worked then she should get a flickering flame made of shimmering water. If it didn't, well, that could end fairly poorly for her.

"When fire becomes water and water becomes fire, let the differences become similarities, the opposites become one." The tall woman intoned, letting out a mental prayer to Rhysol that this would work.

OOCFigured you'd want the final say whether or not this thing actually works or not. :p Also sorry about the copious length, Markus asked for the near impossible so for that you get an impossibly long reply! ;)
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Mirage on January 10th, 2014, 9:46 pm

e
During Annalisa's entire preparation and set up not a single word was spoken. Such was the nature of the nuit who could patiently wait in complete silence, despite the time that it took to make whatever ready that needed to be done. At one point though Markus would stand, walking around the table and stepping off the raised dais to get a better look at the work that Annalisa performed. He of course would return to his seat before the demonstration began.

With the first trigger activated a sprout of flame and a surge of water would erupt from the first two focuses, but the power of the glyphs quickly reigned in the display, forcing the magical elements to surge down their desired paths. At each intersection they would collide, erupting in a sudden outputting of steam but the glyphs were such that the elements remained just slightly separated, just enough that they did not completely put the other out. The first part of the glyph seemed a success, and the board leaned forward slightly to see the end result. Markus especially was watchful, he being the only one who truly understood the intricacies of what was going on.

Then the final trigger was activated, and from the focus erupted a get of water straight up into the air. Less than half a tick later flames lept out as well, coursing around this jet in a spiral until it completely covered it. Tepest stood from her seat to get a better look, eyes slightly wide at what she saw. The other judges as well wore looks akin to astonishment, though Qiao and Silverheart remained only passively impressed. Markus watched with widened eyes as well, more surprise than anything filling them, for what this glyph created was something one would not expect. The water was burning. It was lit with flame that seemed to feed off of it, gain fuel from it, yet the center was still liquid and bubbled slightly with intense heat. This display only lasted a tick, just the briefest moment before the stone on which it was created cracked and the glyphs vanished, water splashing down and the flames extinguishing themselves.

Visual of effects :

Imagine this, but with water instead of ice!

Slow clapping came from behind Annalisa, and it was produce by none other than Archwizard Mashaen himself. He nodded once to Annalisa, "Splendid. Simply splendid."

Amaryllis looked just as surprised as the judges, as though she truly did not think that Annalisa was truly capable of such a feat. Her mask was in place, but behind her eyes gears were already working. Plans would need to change, to shift to account for this unexpected turn of events. She would need to be more wary in the future, for the embalmer had no idea just what the extent of her apprentice's abilities really were.

Clearing his throat Markus stood, folding his hands behind his back, "Well then, I believe I have seen enough. Your basic knowledge of both reimancy and glyphing seem to be above what we normally see at this level. The demonstration you just performed was rough, and flawed... however, something is to be said of being able to do even this much in such a sudden, and admittedly hostile setting. Given all you have displayed, I see no reason why you should not be offered the title of Wizard. It is well earned." He nodded his head in respect to Anna, and her craft, though even so his pride would not let him offer any more direct praise than this.

Nemora Tepest returned to her seat, smiling with a glance at Amaryllis and said, "I second this vote in favor of Annalisa receiving the title of Wizard, and all that this entails."

The odds seemed to turn in their favor, at least that is what Amaryllis seemed to think given her posture. She was relaxed, legs crossed with hands folded neatly in her lap. A cool smile accented her lips, an air of victory already coming from her.

Qiao looked to every board member, his eyes unreadable, his expression thoughtful, "We have two in favor of granting this Apprentice the title of Wizard. Has anyone else anything to say either for or against this decision?" For a moment none spoke, but then Goron Silverheart slowly stood from his chair, clearing his throat. Qiao looked up at him, something of a smirk on his lips, "Have you something to bring to the boards attention Master Silverheart?"

"Indeed Council Leader. I bring forth a statement which I feel the board should be made aware of, as it involves the applicant's true ability to handle the responsibilities which come with the rank of Wizard."

Qiao sat back in his seat, "Then continue."

The air of victory was gone now, and Amaryllis' smile had transformed into a thin line of concentration, her eyes flashing between Qiao and Silverheart. The Isur paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts before turning his eyes down on Annalisa, "Apprentice Annalisa Marin, do you recall the events which occurred on the 6th of Winter, in the Yachluria Forge? A simple yes or no will do." The thin line would change to a frown on Amaryllis' face, and after Annalisa answered Goron would turn to the board, "For the benefit of the board members present, I will detail what occurred. On the 6th of Winter, in the Yachluria Forge, Annalisa made her presence known to me. On this day the applicant broke the laws of the forge, and attempted to use hostile magic on a worker in the Forge itself. This worker's name is Osd Messer, my Apprentice." He looked back at Annalisa before speaking once more, "The defense golems were activated, and had I not acted both the applicant and my own apprentice would no longer be here this day." He folded his hands in front of his waist, "As the board is well aware, I do not take on an apprentice lightly. I take only those I see who have the greatest potential, who are most likely to bring wealth and prosperity to Sahova and to the Council and the Archwizard. This act of endangering the life of a valuable asset to Sahova, as well as breaking the most well known law of the Forge, show to me that Annalisa Marin is not fit to handle the responsibilities that come with the Wizard title."

Now he turned his full attention to Annalisa, "Apprentice Annalisa Marin, how do you explain the events which occurred on the 6th? What was your reasoning for using violent magic on an asset of Sahova's? Surely there must be a reason for you to endanger the great works that Osd Messer supplies for the Citadel on a daily basis. Should he die, unlike yourself, it would be difficult to find another to replace him and his work."

The Embalmer stood then, sweeping past Anna to look eye to eye with the Isur, before addressing the Council, "Members of the board, I present that this accusation has no bearing or importance on the review at hand. This review is to test whether or not my Apprentice has the abilities needed to perform her duties as a Wizard, and given what she has done here I believe she has more than proven herself." She stepped back, wrapping her own arm around Annalisa to stare coolly at the Isur, "If what you say is true, of which you have no proof if I might add, my Apprentice would have most assuredly had an excellent reason to resort to more direct tactics such as what she displayed." As she was about to continue her words were stopped by a raised hand from Qiao.

The Leader of the Council of Five slowly stood as well, looking down from his advantage at Annalisa, "I hear the words of your Master. They are the words of an experienced orator, which she undoubtedly is. I do not, however, hear your words Annalisa Marin. You will respond to Master Silverheart's inquiry." The Embalmer made as if to protest, but once more Qiao raised his hand to silence her, "And should your Master speak any more on your behalf it will be seen as your trying to circumvent the question, marking you as unfit to be given the title Wizard, meaning you will have to wait a full season before applying again. Is that understood?" He leveled his gaze at Amaryllis.

The Chief Emblamer's eyes narrowed, but her voice was cool, "Yes... It is." Forced to silence, Amaryllis stepped back, letting Annalisa stand alone before the board.

Silverheart folded his arms over his chest, "Then what say you Apprentice Marin. How do you defend your actions against my own apprentice, which endangered both yourself and important assets of the Citadel?"

All eyes were on Annalisa. Markus' expression changed from one of silent support to questioning once more. Tepest was unreadable, Qiao held a smirk on his lips, and Silverheart's eyes were stern as was his features. Everyone waited to hear what the apprentice had to say for herself.

e
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 10th, 2014, 11:06 pm

Anna couldn't keep the slow and victorious smile from her face, the results of her experiment glorious and the looks on the faces of the Nuit were completely priceless. The crowning jewel had to be the applause from the Archwizard and his praise, which she basked in for all it was worth. She turned her gaze upon him and inclined her head to him, her eyes catching the same look of surprise on Amaryllis' face. It vanished quickly but it was enough that Anna felt herself smile inwardly, the Nuit thought she had known everything but she had really known nothing.

"Your praise honors me, Archwizard." Anna said.

She turned her attention to the board and basked in their praise, yes indeed let them see exactly whom she was and how powerful she was. She was hardly just a mere Wizard, she was powerful enough to stand among Masters. One day she had no doubt that she would, she hardly would be satisfied by her Wizard rank which looked pretty much a clear given to her. Even Markus, who had initially been frosty towards her was willing to admit to her ability. Now Anna really wanted to try that again, just to see if she could recreate the scenario.

It was all going so well, and then that stupid Sub-Human had to open his petching mouth and bring up that incident. It was all she could do to prevent res from generating from her eyes and striking him down with a pair of lightning bolts. She didn't glare at him, rather she kept her expression carefully neutral as she took in new information. So Silverheart had taken that little insect as his Apprentice eh? A very good move in his part, it certainly made him look even further aggrieved.

"Yes." She answered to his first question.

Amaryllis intervened on her behalf, but Qiao shut her down fairly quickly, placing her at the center of events. This was the tipping point, if they didn't like her answer and it wasn't good enough then it would result in her being barred from her rank. However Anna soon thought back and realized that she already had all the cards she needed to explain it all away. It would mean expending a potentially dangerous resource, but it was the only way. Might as well give Rhysol his due with another betrayal, after all, she was only a tool.

"I do recall what occurred in the Forge, though I wish to the gods I did not. I also regret to inform you that your information is only half complete, Master Silverheart. It was indeed my magic that was unleash, though it was not by my will it was brought forth." Anna started, starting to weave her web of lies carefully.

"You see, I am not only a practitioner of Reimancy and Glyphing but have dabbled lightly in the dealing of ghosts. A few weeks ago I was assaulted by a group of very powerful hostile spirits that had apparently escaped from the Courtyard, who attempted to possess me as their own. I managed to fight them off, with the assistance of one Fubuki Kouri." Anna stated.

"I had entered into a relationship of sorts with Kouri actually, a partnership. She is a very powerful ghost you see, strong enough to overpower most anyone with good grounding in spiritism. She is also, as I discovered too late, extremely unstable and domineering." The tall woman continued.

Anna gave brief prayer of thanks to Rhysol for her having cursed the girl to become more domineering and possessive, unhinging her further. Yes, it was all coming together, her success would come at the price of Kouri. It was a price Anna was more than willing to pay. As Amaryllis had said, Anna had no friends, only allies and tools she should use for her own ends.

"My encounter with those spirits apparently lowered my resistance to possession, allowing Kouri to take control of my body for extended period's and against my own will. Combined with my limited abilities regarding spiritism no doubt made me an appealing target. She has also had experience in using magic and has shown very violent tendencies to me." Anna said, starting to pace and even adding a somewhat haunted look to her face.

"I remember the incident in the Forge, I remember watching behind my own eyes as Kouri used my own magic to violate the laws of the Citadel. I have sense devised methods to ward her from my body, though no doubt she remains a danger to the Citadel. I only regret I was not strong enough to fight her and prevent her from threatening your Apprentice, Master Silverheart." Anna stated, inclining her head respectfully to the Isur.

It was done. They could make an inquiry and Kouri would of course deny it, but her violent tendencies Anna had fostered and the domineering attitude Anna had cursed her with would be her undoing. Anna committed the betrayal with zero remorse, she didn't care about Kouri other than as using her as a resource. In the end it would be Anna's word against hers. Anna hoped the explanation would be good enough. And if the child should mention Chaon, well, people often said many things when desperate to escape horrible fates. They lied and span colorful tales, it also helped that currently Anna appeared perfectly composed and in control.

The Sorceress thought back to when the child had dare, DARED, to threaten to turn her own magic upon her in the Dungeons. A thrill of sick delight coursed through her mind, she hoped the petching girl was Voided, her, Mia, and her apparent weakling of a younger sister. It was no less than she deserved for daring to threaten her, to turn against her so easily.

"I myself would never dream of daring to rob the Citadel of resources. No matter how large... or small." Anna said, her gaze squarely upon Silverheart there. Her words were a quip at Osd's true origins and how utterly pathetic she thought he was compared to her.

Regardless of whether or not she advanced her today she had gleaned two interesting tidbits of knowledge, vital pieces in her growing web of plots. One was that, judging from Qiao's pleasure here he and Silverheart were working together. Likely Darren had whispered in the Leader of the Council of Five's ear and brought her to his attention in a negative way, and both he and Silverheart were merely uniting to halt the advancement of a threat. It was brilliant really, a charade that would not only halt her advance indefinitely but also humiliate Amaryllis.

The other tidbit was that the Archwizard appeared, at the very least, lukewarm towards her. Perhaps because of her little quibble with Qiao's little pet? Regardless, for some reason he had come off as being at the very least positively neutral during her display. That could very well be something to keep very closely in mind regardless of her advancing or not. The Archwizard was a very powerful man in the Citadel after all. The plots were bubbling and Rhysol's will was becoming more and more clear.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Mirage on January 11th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Behind Anna, Amaryllis mentally groaned and she resisted closing her eyes with a frustrated sigh. This ploy of Anna's, she knew, could go only one of two ways. The chances of it going the way she wished it too were... Slim.

During the entire explanation Qiao's eyebrow rose more and more, something again to mocking bafflement there as he shot a glance at Silverheart. The Isur as well raised an eyebrow, folding his hands now behind his back as he slowly shook his head, "Then you wish to inform the board that your actions in the forge were not of your own doing...? That you were possessed by a ghost which lead you to act out as you did against my own apprentice?"

Qiao shifted his stance, looking down on Anna, "This was a very elaborate excuse, Apprentice Marin, that means one of two things. Either this shows that you have a very weak spirit and are unable to even hold your own against a simple ghost, which I highly doubt," in an odd way this was a compliment, "Or you are lying to your board of review, which is far worse. No matter which case is true, however, this seems to show that you are not fit to take on the rank of Wizard due to a weak spirit and ability to cope with the struggles of the Citadel, or you are completely untrustworthy and undeserving of the title Wizard."

"I believe I can offer a different explanation." Silverheart spoke suddenly, inclining his head to Qiao, "I believe that Annalisa Marin is neither weak nor is she a liar. I think she truly believes in her story." He looked down to Anna, nodding to her, his voice changing into an oddly coddling tone, "What I suspect, after speaking with my own apprentice, is that this applicant suffers from delusions of the mind. She is unbalanced, mentally, and therefore is not in full control of her actions this day. Her mental state has caused her to dream up this fantastic story." He looked at the Archwizard, and then to Qiao, "If this is the case, then Annalisa Marin is not at fault in the least bit, and should not be judged too harshly on her actions."

Qiao chuckled and rubbed his hands together, "You bring up an interesting point Master Silverheart. Perhaps this applicant is simply mentally unstable. It would be tragic if she were, for that also would mean she was unfit to take on the rank of Wizard." He raised one finger, eyes falling to Amaryllis who was leveling her own steady gaze at Qiao, "Unless... We give her a mentor for the first few seasons, to help curb her instabilities and ensure she can properly perform her duties. I believe my own protege, Darren Marlow, would be perfect for this task." He smiled, a grin showing his teeth and pulling his skin tight over his skull.

Amaryllis finally brushed passed Anna, raising her own hand her voice strong and her own lips set in a stern expression, "This is highly irregular, and in fact almost unheard of situation. You have neither proof of this supposed madness, and you have given no thought at all to the validity of my apprentices' statement. I call in favor of a delay period, in which time an investigation can be held and facts checked." The Embalmer was working quick. She had to salvage this situation before it could grow any worse, but it seemed that Qiao would have none of that for he shook his head, "There will be no need for an investigation period, because we can do all the fact checking we need right here. I call for an in depth analysis of Apprentice Annalisa Marin's mental state."

The Embalmer's frown deepened, "This is against all protocols, and it requires the agreement from all the Council Members to undertake it so quickly." She stopped, eyes widening and Qiao's words confirmed the Embalmers' fears.

"Indeed, you are right. Such a thing would normally require the unanimous vote of the Council... or permission from the Archwizard himself."

The bricks were falling into place in Amaryllis' eyes, the Embalmer looking to the Archwizard, who was slowly stroking his beard, to Silverheart and then to Qiao himself. She was set into a very unfavorable position, with a hand of cards that did not offer any advantages, "Then say permission is granted, there would still need to be a preparation period to have an examiner lined up and an area sectioned off for the evaluation." her mind was spinning with the politics of Sahova, her bearing one of power and authority. She cast one glance at Anna, the meaning clear in that gaze. Do not speak. Your life depends on it.

This time Silverheart raised his hand, motioning to the man beside him, "Both have already been seen to. Master Grombard Shrag is in attendance with us, and has graciously offered to us his services."

The man stood up, he who was pretending to be a member of the board under a false identity, and took off the ring of his rank. His appearance shimmered, nothing more than an illusion to reveal the unkempt body of a middle aged man with a long hooked nose. His appearance once more placed that expression of distaste on Amaryllis' features, the situation quickly growing grimmer by the moment.

"Well then," Qiao clapped his hands together, looking at Shrag, "Shall we begin this examination? Archwizard Mashaen, if you will allow of course."

The Archwizard looked between all of the parties in question, eyes finally settling on Annalisa herself. His gaze was thoughtful, searching, and old and heavy with wisdom born of many years of struggle in situations much like this one. At length he finally turned his gaze back to Qiao, "Very well. I give my permission for this."

Amaryllis turned in a swooshing of peacock feathers, her voice raising to address the Archwizard, "Archwizard, I respectfully ask you to reconsider." but Mashaen simply shook his head, "There is no reason for the delay. We are all present now, the resources are given to us, and Annalisa would simply be held stagnant until this process was undertaken. That would not be fair to this Apprentice who has such talent and drive. Let the truth be known now, and for good or ill during the next few days of her recovery she may make preparations for whatever outcome is won from this."

The Embalmer shook her head, eyes showing the gears turning in her mind as she sought a way out of this. Qiao had a look of triumph, Silverheart simply looked justified, and Shrag was already begining to step down from the Dias to come closer to Annalisa. Just before he was within arms length of her though, the Embalmer would step between Anna and her inspector, raising a hand with a sudden spark in her eye, "Drimbald's Law of proper inspection and assessment of Mage ability states that for any mental inspection the proper facilities must be awarded the case in case the subject becomes hostile and out of control." She raised her hands out to her sides, indicating the room, "This room does not fit with the regulations put down by Pendrad in Lab Construction Codex, which under article 57 states that any facility used to diagnose, treat or house those accused of mental instability must be no larger than 30 by 30 in dimensions, allow for proper restraints and give no more than one entry and exit point which can only be opened from the outside. As such this examination, in this setting, is a violation of Alahean Law, the penalty for this classification being 90 day suspension from all duties in regards to magics and research, military services, and expulsion from a rank of power if such is applicable."

She looked back at the Archwizard, "I do not wish to sully the name and honor of our once great empire, and though it is nothing but dust in the wind now, we can still abide by the laws set by our own ancestors out of proper respect for our own heritage, and to show that we, despite the years, are still Alahean Wizards through and through."

Qiao's expression changed to one of annoyance as he spoke suddenly, "What is the point of this? Whether or not she is moved to the proper location she will still undergo the investigation. All you have done is delay the inevitable."

Amaryllis smiled at Qiao, confidence in her voice as she moved to stand directly in front of the table, "By royal decree, should any of equal rank of the accuser be found in negigence of Alahean law, said individual will be stripped of power and rank until a full investigation is undertaken. Your act here has found you in negligence with Alahean Law, and so with the power given me by rank and station I, Amaryllis de Mephistio, strip you Lector Qiao of any authority you might have in this matter, and renounce your claim to authority on this board."

The man's eyes widened, mouth opening and closing once, then twice, before looking at Mashaen, "This goes against everything the review board stands for. To be so easily overturned would be to affect the infrastructure of the Wizard Ranking themselves. I lay claim that Chief Embalmer Amaryllis is violating the laws placed to stabilize the order of Sahova after the fall of Alahea."

Mashaen was smiling, a small but impressed smile, as he stroked his beard, "Amaryllis is correct on all counts my friend. If she would wish it, she may strip you of all power and authority in this matter."

Qiao frowned, about to say something as well, but Amaryllis quickly interrupted him, "I, however, offer you another option." Qiao looked down at Amaryllis, glaring at her as she continued, "My Apprentice has a journey in five days, into the Heartlands no less on an errand of mine. The inspection would incapacitate her, making her unable to perform her duties tot he fullest, which as you can imagine would be unfavorable as her death would almost be assured."

Now Qiao seemed interested, and that confident smile returned as Amaryllis continued, "Thus I call for a delay in your investigation, for a time just after Annalisa returns from her journey. The trip should do much to solidify her merit as a Wizard to be, and perhaps bring forth other useful information for your personal use." Qiao sat down once more, stroking his chin thoughtfully.

Silver heart cleared his throat, bringing the Embalmer's eyes to him once more, something like ice filling them and danger emanating from her to the extent that even this Master hesitated before speaking, "I do not see the point in delaying so long. No matter the end either she will be inspected, and you know as well as I what the outcome will be. Either she is a liar, she is weak, or she is too mentally unstable to take on the position of Wizard. No matter the path she takes, it will all come to the same conclusion, lest she die in the Heartlands first."

Amaryllis smiled slowly, not a kind smile, and one that made Goron's expression change to one of slight concern, "Your care of my Apprentice's state of being is admirable, but you may hold no fear for her. Positions tend to come up more often than not, usually due to the previous owner being put in his place." and with that she dismissed the Isur, looking at Qiao, "What say you Qiao? 10 days is all we ask. In that time you may make your own preparations, do an investigation into my Apprentice's claims, and should she return she will bring with her valuable information for both of us. No matter the outcome, you have something to gain. It is a deal I would take myself."

Qiao looked up at Amaryllis, thinking over her words before his eyes slipped to Annalisa, "Your master is a shrewd politician and negotiator. I hope you have been taking notes and studied closely what she has done here." Straightening he continued, "I have but one question remaining for you Annalisa Marin. Do you believe you will return from the Heartlands, where none have before...?"

The groundwork was laid, Amaryllis set out for Anna a path she could follow. It now came down to Anna. What would her answer be? Whatever it was, it would affect the final decision in this entire case.
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 11th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Anna had decided one thing as her mental state was brought into question, Silverheart was going to suffer for this. She didn't care if it took her decades of her life, she would see him betrayed by those closest to him and then slowly tortured by her own hand. She gritted her teeth through the whole thing, grey eyes narrowing very dangerously as she considered how quickly she'd be killed if she attempted to butcher the Isur here and now. The Sub-Human just couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Then fear washed over her, ice cold terror that might very well have gleamed through her eyes at the prospect of serving under Darren for any extended period of time. If she was considered mentally unstable then he was a petching lunatic, he did what he did for his own sick desires while Anna did them for Rhysol and spreading chaos in his name. HE had no purpose beyond Qiao and his sick desires, Anna had purpose granted to her by a God. Purpose he could strip away given just enough time.

Amaryllis was working rather quickly, scrambling to salvage this and delay the whole thing but Anna was coming to a conclusion. It had all been one massive charade, all of it, even down to her giving an explanation for the events in the Forge. It wouldn't have mattered if she had displayed the ability to destroy armies with her Glyphing, this was the outcome because both Qiao and Silverheart wanted her removed. They wanted her moved out of the way where she could neither bother or threaten them.

Then mentioned of the Archwizard was given and suddenly everything, the reason why the Archwizard was there included fell into place. They had laid well their trap and planned this well in advance, it was impressive she had to give them credit for that. It still meant that her list was growing larger by a few names, but she could admit a good deception when it existed. Really, these lot were wasting their time serving Sahova, Rhysol would no doubt take them in with open arms.

As the imposter was revealed Anna's mind whirled, even Master Markus' little remark about imposters had been accurate. Rhysol, how very well this went for her enemies and right now she was looking for a way out of the corner she had been backed into. It required the Archwizard's permission but Anna already had the creeping feeling that she knew what his answer would be.

At this point this Shrag fellow was coming closer and closer, to the point where some latent spark of defiance lit in her and she prepared to draw res into her hands. It turned out to be unnecessary as Amaryllis stood in front of her and started speaking again. The Sorceress never thought she would be so grateful that such extreme measures needed to be taken to subdue a wizard like her. She also made a mental note to look into Alahean law if this whole thing swung their way.

Qiao attempted to appeal to the Archwizard but suddenly it appeared that Qiao's little yes man was not so keen on violating Alahean law. She would have cheered the Embalmer on were she the cheering sort, instead she simply regained her composure with a tiny smirk on her face. Amaryllis was delaying the whole thing, but it was rather more like an aversion entirely. Judging by Daren, mental instability or not if she had something or worth to offer Qiao then he wouldn't risk compromising her mind. If she succeeded she'd be relatively safe. If she didn't... well then she would be dead.

It was all falling into place and now she was given a question, one of whether or not she felt she could succeed where no others had. How many of them had possessed her vast knowledge of reimancy, or her blessing from Rhysol? How many had possessed the knowledge that either they would succeed or die otherwise, not just in the Heartlands but in the Citadel? She didn't have any other option but success, because failure would bring a bitter sting before she died.

"You have seen what I am capable of here today. I will succeed, Master Councilor, the others before me lacked motivation, bloody minded determination, or even the talent. I am lacking for none. Something you will soon discover is I'm a rather results driven individual, I get results no matter the sacrifice." The Sorceress answered simply.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Mirage on January 14th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Qiao did not speak for a full time after Anna gave her answer, and now all eyes were on him. Silverheart had returned to his seat, looking dejected but not defeated. Tepest seemed to already lose interest in the whole situation, Markus looked at Anna intently, thoughts clearly running through his head about the girl, but of their content it could not be said. Amaryllis stood confidently before Qiao, while Mashaen slowly stroked his beard, a smile on his lips. Shrag, suddenly finding himself here without a reason turned to stand at the end of the table of the board members, his identity revealed thus he did not bother returning to a seat that was never his.

Stroking his chin Qiao finally spoke, his words for the entire board, "Well then Annalisa Marin, you have a 10 day postponing of your mental evaluation. After that time, assuming you survive your little trip, you will be given a location to report to in order to have your mental state assessed. We will also be conducting an investigation of your story, and see just how much truth is really in it. For now you may go. I am sure we are all looking forward to your safe return." He smiled and waved a hand in dismissal.

Inclining her head Amaryllis spoke softly, "You do us, and yourself, a great service. We look forward to when we next meet as well." She turned and motioned for Annalisa to follow, heading out of the lecture hall and toward the Palsa Hydrasa once more.

Once free of the looming eyes of the board Amaryllis visibly relaxed, chuckling softly with a small smile on her lips, "We are fortunate that Qiao cared more about saving face in front of the board and the Archwizard than he did about your evaluation. I doubt it would have gone well for you, and might have truly made you insane beyond repair. Still, this is promising. He so willingly went along with our plans, and Master Silverheart did not look entirely pleased. Thus it appears that the Isur does not have Qiao fully on his side after all. As it turns out, having the Archwizard there aided us far more than it aided them." Her smile broadened, "Now all that is left to be done is for you to gain an Initiate position under Kierra Doma. While you are gone I will ensure your little tale comes out to be completely true, and by the 31st Sahova will have a new Wizard."

She glanced at Anna once as she walked, "You did very well. I was impressed with your performance."

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 15th, 2014, 12:40 am

Anna let out a silent breath she hadn't known she'd actually been holding at Qiao's words, one that spoke of relief as the Sorceress had been fully prepared to put up a fight rather than be touched by a hypnotist again. Even Dira's embrace would have been preferable to whatever horrors Darren or Shrag would have had in store for her, idly she wondered if the filthy hypnotist would be enraged that she had escaped his fingers once more. Soon enough she would have the vengeance she had so dreamed of, soon enough she'd have him in her grasp to torture and kill for his affronts not just to her but to Rhysol himself. His blasphemy was unacceptable in her eyes, daring to compare himself to the Defiler himself. Such hubris.

Of course, none of this little song and dance today would matter if she didn't return from the Heartlands. If she didn't become Kierra Doma's initiate then she'd be as good as dead, hopefully her abilities in reimancy gained the same respect from her as the board. It all came down to what she needed to do, such as strategize how to kill Celeste of it came down to it. An unpleasant preparation, but who could say what the Warden of the Heartlands would have in store to test her worth.

Anna wordlessly inclined her head after Amaryllis and followed the Embalmer with long and rather confident strides. A light smirk was on her face as they left the review, pleased by how that whole affair had turned out. As before she slipped her hands into the sleeves of her robe, walking with a certain regality. She had emerged from a nest of vipers unscathed and with possibility of gaining the upper hand. Taking her new Sub-Human enemy down a couple of pegs was also adding a certain amount of pleasure.

"I wasn't exactly looking forward to ending up like Roknus Maelstrom either, chaos with no direction is inefficient. Directed chaos though... now that is another thing entirely." Anna offered in response to Amaryllis remark about ending up further insane.

Anna did have some thoughts running through her mind at the moment, the most prominent one being the enigma of the Archwizard. Qiao was easy to read where he might fall, wherever benefited Lector Qiao. Silverheart was her obvious antagonist in this story, but the Archwizard was an unclear entity. He had seemed pleased regarding her abilities and supportive to a certain point, certainly all too willing to assist Amaryllis in her little ploy. What part of the drama did he partake in? What was his role?

At Amaryllis praise Anna allowed her pleasure to show a little more obviously, practically radiating out from her. The Nuit had been shown exactly how much power dwelled within her spirit and how much knowledge a mere few years of studying the arcane had made Anna into. It would hopefully make the Embalmer just a little more reluctant to cast her aside, and also remind her just what she was trying to control. It had certainly given the so called masters of Sahova something to think about.

"Of course you were impressed, it was my work after all. You wouldn't have taken in a second rate pulser as an Apprentice. I must say I was rather impressed with your show as well, that doesn't happen often, with other people I mean. You'll have to share these Alahean laws with me, sound rather useful." Anna said, allowing her arrogance to shine through.

Anna would fall silent for a moment, before finally asking a question that had weighed upon her mind for some time. She hardly expected a straight answer, however, considering how well things had went it seemed more likely now than ever.

"So, I find myself rather curious. When I first mentioned Kierra Doman to you, you looked rather... displeased to say the least. I have to wonder why that is. You've stated that Riyanna and she have a history, but what about your history? I'd like to know my odds for being challenged to a duel as soon as she finds out whom it is I serve under." Anna inquired, quirking an eyebrow at the Embalmer.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Mirage on January 16th, 2014, 7:09 pm

"Perhaps next we will see to your humility." Amaryllis said with a small smile and a glance at Amaryllis, "And it was always my intention to introduce you to the old laws of Alahea, but there was never the time I am afraid. Besides knowing just the laws themselves is useless. They are barely more than memories, tokens of the past now. Qiao can do whatever he pleases, so long as it does not hurt his position of power. We were lucky that he cornered himself by showing out in front of members of the Master's Guild and the Archwizard himself. Needless to say, if the situation was not what it was, we would not be so well of." She smiled broader, a knowing look at Annalisa, "Let this be a lesson to you as well Annalisa. Knowledge and power are useless unless you place yourself in the proper situation. Qiao orchestrated his own downfall this time. All because he was rushed to get what he desired. Patience, and careful planning. Those are where the true victory is found."

They reached the Palsa Hydrasa, and Amaryllis opened the door for Anna, letting her walk through first before taking the lead to her office once more.

"You wish to know of my history? A trifling bore I must say, something very few would take an interest in." Her tone was calm, but the smile was gone from her lips. They made it to the office, and once more Amaryllis showed Anna inside, then walked around her desk to take a seat, sitting back in a comfortable position, "Though perhaps... This once you may need to know just a small portion of my past. It is not as grand as you may think I assure you." She looked away, absently fingering her ring as she thought how best to say what was on her mind, "Kierra Doma and I... Had an altercation yes. One which ended with her taking something... or rather, someone from me. As you can imagine I do not take kindly to having what is mine stolen, but as for Kierra I doubt she even realizes her mistake. She was always a silly girl. Deadly, but silly." With a shrug Amaryllis dismissed the entire thing, "I doubt my name will raise any malice from the Warden. Perhaps she will even find it amusing. If you do come to blows, however, you should not try to stand against her. I am afraid she is far, far out of your league."

The Embalmer was already looking at her nails, her usual airs returning, "What did Roknus say? She was a near equal to his? That man can never admit defeat. The fact of the matter is his backside was handed to him by the Warden, and in a rather fantastic way. She matched him at every move, and surpassed him at most. No Annalisa, if you can settle this with Kierra without combat, or let Celeste take the lead. That is why she is there after all." The nuit smiled, "Work your charm on the Warden. She always liked taller women."
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 16th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Anna smiled slightly at Amaryllis' remark regarding humility, knowing full well that the Embalmer herself was very similar to her. The key difference was that the Sorceress was humble in a single regard, that was when placed before her only true lord and master, the Defiler himself. She served him body and soul, proudly and happily and with little care of whether she was a tool to him or not. She had a purpose, and in that the tall woman found some form of inner peace and understanding.

She listened carefully to Amaryllis' lesson, once more having the ideas of tact and subtlety being pounded into her skull. Anna was certainly capable of being subtle, she excelled in twisting a person's emotions and gaining desired responses through that. She knew what people wanted and how to use those wants and needs to force what she wanted from them. However, at the end of the day, the tall woman enjoyed showing others bluntly and swiftly how very far beneath her they really were.

Amaryllis knew exactly what it was Anna wanted beyond anything at the moment, to end the thread of Darren Marlowe and pain Sahova red with his blood. She was telling her to watch her step and make only moves that would bring that circumstance as not only being available, but also a steel trap from where the hypnotist couldn't escape. Ohhh... Anna planned on enjoying turning the tables upon the petching hypnotist worm, savoring his fear only before she plunged her dagger into his heart.

Anna strode into the Palsa Hydrasa with all of the bearing and confidence of a conquering heroine, robes swishing here or their and her hands tucked regally into the sleeves. She had come unscathed from this part of the rising action, now came the time for the climax. The dramatic confrontation where the protagonist either succeeded resoundingly, or failed horribly in the case of a tragedy. Hopefully her journey to the Heartlands would be more the former than the latter.

Once in the Embalmers office, Anna taking a seat across from the Nuit, there appeared to be a change of mood as Amaryllis reflected on her question. At first Anna had expected the Nuit to avoid the question entirely as she was known for doing, though this time she seemed a bit willing to offer some degree of information. The Sorceress soaked in the information, reclining slowly back in her chair and drumming her fingers idly over her chin as she pondered this new information.

So the erstwhile Warden of the Heartlands had taken someone from Amaryllis, now that bore looking into. The question is who could have been important enough to her to so vex the Nuit. When Anna had first mentioned the name the Embalmer had looked fit to skin her alive on principle, that hardly sounded like something minor. The Nuit indicated that the Warden likely had remained oblivious to this slight, however they were hardly the two only sources of information available to her. Maelstrom, as mad and volatile as he was, likely could shed some light onto the matter if properly pressed. Something to follow up on at some point most likely, besides the Sorceress was intending to get a rematch in with the madman at some point.

Grey eyes widened by a fraction of an inch as Kierra's power became rather known to her, forcing her to reassess the situation. So, a direct confrontation was best avoided if she could best Maelstrom. Best to attempt more diplomatic approaches or at least keeping Celeste between her and Kierra long enough. Anna disliked losing such a gem as Celeste, but Rhysol dictated that tools be spent to further oneself.

The tall woman chuckled slightly at Amaryllis' remark, rolling her eyes slightly at the talk of charms. Anna's charms were hardly the greatest, in the world if she were being fully honest with herself.

"Unless she'd interested in the tactics I'm familiar with, those of the occasional whore at the Loveless, I doubt she'd like my version of 'charm'. Though if it saves my neck I'm hardly above petching her if that's what she wants, all corruption and manipulation better serves our mutual friend." The woman replied, a subtle hint as to that dagger that had so resonated with her mark.

"In any event, I'll likely need to pull from a few more Glyphing resources to prepare for this journey. Better to enter the mouth of almost certain death fully armed and ready." She said.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Board Exams [Mirage]

Postby Mirage on January 21st, 2014, 9:00 pm

e
"She was a whoring slave from Sunberth." Amaryllis said simply, like she was commenting on the weather, "I doubt very much that your charms would go unappreciated." The nuit looked up from her nails, "Then go and prepare yourself. I give you whatever you need until the day you leave for the Heartlands. Take whatever resources you require, but be certain that your mission is a success." She waved a hand, dismissingly, "Now, unless you have further questions I will bid you good day to prepare. Oh, and keep the ring on. You are a Wizard now, despite what hoops Qiao wishes you to jump through. If it turns out that you are not, well... It is a good keep sake for the grave." She smiled and nodded a finally farewell to her apprentice.

OOCSuper short and I apologize! I think that is the end though. Feel free to post once more and then I will give you a grade :D

e
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

PreviousNext