An Interesting Find (Evalin)

PROMPT

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The unassuming den of the Constrictor Dhani, it is truly a pit of snakes. Travelers should take care, because the Dhani are always hungry... [Lore]

Postby Traverse on January 8th, 2014, 6:25 pm

An Interesting Find
13th of Winter, 513 A.V.

The tunnels of Zinrah were a confusing mess to the Nuit. The one's adjoining Aka's cavern were becoming familiar, but keeping track of things much past that was difficult, though clearer each day that passed. The material and feel of the floors was also vastly different. In some sections it was smooth, carved by ancient waters or reimancy, but some passages were rough on her feet, and still others slippery and wet, much easier for large constrictor bodies to flow over than that of a little girl's form.

As the Wretched One slowly explored her surroundings Tsenrika was silent brooding as a pendant cold against her chest. This thoughtful peace was interrupted only by the echoed sound of dripping water in some distant tunnel, a steady beat to match Evalin's steps.

It was a few chimes and several tunnels later that worn feet stepped on something quite strange indeed. Soft and cushioning, a direct juxtaposition to the unforgiving stone that Evalin was becoming used to sat beneath her feet. Red eyes peered curiously downward at the bed of moss. What an interesting find indeed...
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Evalin on January 9th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Why was it that she had come here? Why was it that she set herself such miserable tasks such as this, to explore the interlacing caverns and tunells of this den of serpents... Of course the reason was obvious, and yet Evalin did not wish to think on the logic of her current situation.

The lights were dim here, just enough to see by and for Evalin not to light a new source herself. She left her staff behind, for fear fo what might happen should one of the creatures take an interest in it. As she was now, Evalin felt that she did not require its constant presence like once she used to. Now she was different, changed somewhat, powerful in and of herself without quite as much need for otherworldly sources to enforce her will and aid her in protection... Still though, it was with some comfort that her hand moved to gently stroke the smooth surface of the gem that hung about her neck What think you we shall find Tsenrika, should we continue on down this path and not stop?

The familiar seemed to be changing as well. Of late he was not quite so quiet as he once was. He spoke with her more, offered his thoughts and opinions to her, and even guided her when she began to lose her path. A strengthening had started to affect their bond, and now the nuit could even feel some inclining to this creatures own emotions should he allow it, or were he not paying attention. Thus she almost eagerly awaited his answer, finding their talks one of the few things of entertainment to be found in this cage of stone.

A dead end and miles of tunnels with which to return by, or rather never should we return for never could we navigate our way back if so deep were we to go.

Evalin smiled, and actually laughed, Yes I suspect you are correct. Of many things am I knowledgeable of, but not the likes of tunnels and caves." and just as quickly as it came, conversations would end and both would slip into silence once more. thus was their relation ship, a give and take of intermingling silence and talk, brooding and advising. IN truth Evalin preferred it this way, for she had her own musings to entertain as she was sure Tsenrika did as well.

The deeper she went the more and more Evalin found her pace Begining to slow. The slope of the path, the uneven terrain and in places the moisture and slippery surfaces made it so that the nuit had difficulty simply standing, let alone keeping a steady pace for bells. She found herself using the wall to steady herself, each foot being placed with careful precision, not wishing to think of what should happen if she fell and slid down the path into deepening darkness. Perhaps there was an unground cliff that she might tumble over? Or perhaps a creature, unseen in the night, lurked somewhere just beyond sight? No, best actions as of now were cautious ones. One's that required Evalin to carefully think and plan before enacting.

Then it was that her feet came upon a sensation that was oddly out of place... Soft, yet pliable, and so Evalin looked down in surprise. As she did her hand left the supporting wall, and the other foot, not yet having received the order to halt, continued forward to land on an especially slick patch of stone. In but a moment Evalin found herself go from looking curiously down to glaring furiously up at the curving roof of the tunnel.

"Be damned all these tunnels and the creatures within them! Such is no place for the likes of an immortal, no indeed not." A bit more frustrated grumbling came as Evalin slowly sat up, turning to look back at the sight that had distracted her, "Moss... Such was moss that I stumbled upon?" She turned to get upon her hands and knees, crawling up the couple feet she had slid when she fell to get a better look at her discovery.

So it seems. Mind your footing, for fear you might slide further down the tunnel in your haste. He chuckled in her mind, slightly irritating the girl who simply ignored him for the time being.

"But why is moss here? Thought I that it could only grow on the surface, where light were available for it." Crawling closer to examine it, Evalin pressed her hand onto its soft surface, running her fingers over the misplaced bit of living life in this cavern of cold blooded monsters, "How curious..."
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evalin on January 9th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Raising her hand before her eyes, Evalin summoned that power within her to move and uncoil from her chest. Swirling up to press against the skin of her palm, gaseous res pored out to fill the space between her fingers. The center of this swirling vortex Evalin called to come closer together, to compact to a smaller, more uniform shape as she hissed "Hakin" and this res lit in flame. The surrounding res acted as both a holder for the flame, a bubble of power to hold it up from the girl's palm, and to fuel the fire so that it continued to burn.

"Tsenrika, take from me this flame and light the ground so that I might see it."

As my master wishes. Rising from her chest, Tsenrika changed to his natural form, rising up beside her hand, a little bigger than a fist himself. The flame and res then moved on its own, drifting from Evalin's hand as control of it was taken over by the familiar in the nuit's stead. More and more Evalin was Beginning to find that having her power in part controlled by the Irylid was quite the boon. When needed he could act upon her power in her stead, freeing the nuit to do other things without need to waste concentration on such menial tasks. Tasks such as this, lighting the moss so that a closer examination could be performed.

The familiar hovered over the soft moss, keeping the flame well away from his body, not caring for the heat. In the new flickering light Evalin bent over the moss, examining it closer than she could have in the dimmer light. It was thick, soft and bushy like an animal's pelt in winter. It grew as all moss did, clinging to the floor and walls, but it was not green as she would have expected. It was a bright, fiery red, and now as Evalin pressed her hands over its surface once more she noticed that it was slightly warm. Wrinkling her brown in confusion, Evalin pressed her hand to the stones of the tunnel itself. They were cool and wet to the touch, a striking opposite to the moss that grew upon them.

"What make you of this Tsenrika...? Moss that is warm when it should be cold?"

The Familiar floated closer, as if to feel the texture for himself.

"Mind the flame and let it not catch upon the moss." but even as she said this the little flame controlled by the Irylid passed over the moss, falling upon it and the flames licked at the moss' red surface. Hissing, Evalin made to pull the familiar back, but it was then that she noticed something odd. The moss did not catch fire, or at least not right away, "Move aside now, let us see..." As the familiar moved back Evalin pressed her hand against the spot where the flame had danced. It was only slightly singed, but even stranger still was that wherever the fire had been the moss was even warmer. Blinking in surprise Evalin pulled back her hand, looking at the Familiar, "Oh all curious things we might have found, a moss that does not burn in flame but absorbs its heat? What wonders are these that can be found even so deep beneath the surface..."
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on January 10th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Running her fingers over the strange textured thing, Evalin's mind began to wonder of what purpose it had in being here. It was so far belong ground that almost nothing else would be found, in a tunnel crafted by the snakes for their own use. From where did it come? Was it natural, or a creation like what was seen on Sahova? Then her mind began to turn to other thoughts...

"My dear Tsenrika... What think you of this. If this be able to resist flame to some extent, might it not be used for our own purposes...?

"The child mistress' flames are not like my Master's. They burn hotter, brighter and much more savagely. Think you that simple moss might protect against such things?"

Evalin frowned and looked over her shoulder at her Familiar, "Think you that she is better than I? That she may wield the fires of hate better than one who lives it each and every tick of every century?" In truth she was rather hurt that the Familiar might think so little of her, but then... "Know I already that she may not be burned by the flames she wields, but such is not true for me. What little skill I have in the art of shields is wasted when placed against such power as her's. This I know. This I know very well, for time and time again I come across these children whose power surpasses even my own despite the vast expanse of experience between us."

She sighed and closed her eyes, laying down with her head on the moss, "But what else am I to do Tsenrika... How else can I take the advantage when presented obstacles such that I cannot overcome? Perhaps... perhaps my powers are not so great as once I might have thought."

The familiar floated to over over Evalin's head, and she could see the light of the little flame he held in place through her eyelids. Tsenrika's voice was soft, not quite reassuring but not overly stern either, "Ask I now, who be the child? Those who gain power at young age, or those of old age who speak as though they are given into delusions of inadequacy? My Master is strong... but what she is more than this is impatient, and unable to see that which is her potential."

Evalin opened her eyes to look at her face reflected in the Familiar's surface, "Of what potential do you speak? Powerless I feel now Tsenrika, lost as ever I have been. I know I wish to escape, but for what reason? Where shall I go?"

"Matter it not where, but simply that you begin to move toward some point in the future. Powerless say my master? Of what do you speak? Power such as the Child Mistress is fleeting, foolish and destructive to all including herself. Power such as the boy who would change the world is frightend, afraid of the potential and thus never fulfills it. Power of the fool puppy that follows the Master of Shadows is self delusion, not nearly what he thinks it to be." The Irylid hovered closer, and Evalin reached up to hold him carefully in her hands, "The power of my Master is great for it understands its own weakness. It is patient, and subtle so it is never seen before the blow lands. It is full and complete from careful practice and guidance. It is strong because it is driven with purpose, a goal which may be impossible but still my Master wishes to reach it."

Evailn smiled slowly, "You speak as though you are fond of me Tsenrika."

"Can I be anything but my Master? Share us one life, yet even so I see what you may become far better than you yourself."

Letting the Familiar go Evalin rolled over, getting on her hands and knees and beginning to push her fingers under the roots of the moss, "If nothing else my dear Tsenrika, you give to me the will to continue on as I have. Perhaps there is yet hope for me, either in redemption or in chaos and destruction." Sliding her hand under the moss she cleared away the roots that attached it to the surface of the rock, and lifting it she would take up a piece a little wider than two of her palms, and half the length, "For now let us test this discovery... perhaps there will be a use for it yet, even if it be merely to decorate the bedding of the mistress, or perhaps another serpentine creature whom I wish to gain favor with."

"As I have said, my Master is cunning. Wisdom born of experience far outshines and lasts longer than power gained through youthful energy."

Evalin laughed, taking careful steps as she started back up the way they had come, "Now you go beyond what words I need. Simply flattery is wasted upon me, this you know Tsenrika."
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on January 22nd, 2014, 4:04 pm

Evalin

Experience:

• Familiary 2 XP
  • Investigation 3 XP
  • Observation 2 XP
  • Reimancy 1 XP
  • Rhetoric 1 XP
  • Socialization 2 XP

Lore:

• Growing Closer to Your Familiar
  • Discovering a Flame Resistant Moss
  • Getting Talked Down by Tsenrika

Inventory:

+1 4' X 4' section of Ember Moss (Full description forthcoming!)

Additional Notes :
Nice thoughtful little thread off of this prompt, I like how Tse is getting particularly verbose in these most recent threads, and you have some moss to experiment with! I'll let you know when i have a full write up on it.

If you have any questions, concerns, accolades, complaints, etc about your grade, drop me a PM and we can most certainly talk it out.

As always, Safe Travels!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)