Singing in the Rain (Evalin)

A walk in the rain yields an improbable yet fortuitous find for our Nuit

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Traverse on January 13th, 2014, 4:11 am

Singing in the Rain
67th of Winter, 513 A.V.

It wasn't safe to wander outside of Zinrah alone, even for one with the strength of the beast Evalin held within and without. Despite this strength the Myrian numbers in the blockade were too strong, the threat too great. These details were nearly easy to ignore, however, when one exited through the ruins above Zinrah. You still had to watch out for patrols, but the collapsed buildings and crumbling stonework was the perfect hiding place for one of Zinrah's tunnels, and ensured it's safety.

Now Evalin and Tsenrika traveled into the jungles, for reasons all their own. The rain that dribbled down through the canopy, drowning out even the noises of insects and birds helped to camouflage them as they walked, but it was also a bit of a nuisance as well, especially when the dribble turned into an utter downpour, sheets of water pouring over Nuit and familiar in droves.

Every step took more effort than should have been necessary, mud sucking at feet, water practically blinding Evalin's view of the greenery. It hid her, yes, but she could simply walk straight into a Myrian fang and she probably wouldn't know until she bumped into one of them...

A reprieve lay in something that seemed much like a cave, but was wrought from collapsed stone blocks that stood as a hazy memory of a city that had once been, what would hopefully be a quiet place to mull over plans and ideas in solitude...
c
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Evalin on February 6th, 2014, 10:00 pm

It seemed that the world wished not to spare the Witch of Flame and Shadows even one day of agony in this wretched place. Were it not the heat eating away at her newly aquired flesh, now it be drenching rain that came down in torrents from the heavens above. Be it some cruel god's joke? Perhaps Lhex was laughing mightily at the state of the one who swore to slay him... And a good laugh he would have at her this day. Evalin had been off on patrol with the child mage Aka, the patrol as always did its job well, but the torrential rain began its decent in the midst of a conflict. In the confusion Evalin had lost herself from the Dhani Mistress and been forced to wander aimlessly, pooly lost in the Jungle as was a sad affair.

Be damned it all, curse all such tidings as these. Wish I that we had never come here." Evalin spoke in her minds words as she pulled the cloak tighter around her thin body. Her robes here soaked through, and the hood did little to shield her vision from the rain, Flee we must from this downpour lest this body yet fresh grow water logged and useless.

The gem on her chest rose into the air, shimmering as it took the shape of her Irylid Familiar, As my Mistress commands. and off her went into the sheets of rain, in search of shelter for the evening.

Evalin slowed her steps, letting her sight shift subtly to that of her Familiar's, so that she could watch his progress as he went. Over the days since they first discovered this new strengthened connection, Evailn had found it an invaluble tool. Through the eyes of an Irylid the world was such a new and wondrous place. What she could SEE was beyond what she ever imagined. So it was that when is sight graced upon the temptation of shelter, a smile lit upon her lips and she turned to follow quickly behind, letting their bond guide her in the right direction.

It was a cave, a simple opening carved into the landscape, a dark opening into an abyss with gods know what within it... But to Evalin it was a true gift, a sanctuary from the elements which she quickly took shelter within. Once inside she threw back her hood, shaking out her auburn locks and ringing out the hem of her robs as she looked at Tsenrika, "Well done my dear Tsenrika. Time that we catch our bearings and rest till this storm is past.."

Then let us wether the storm. Perhaps it will pass quickly.

Shaking out her hair Evalin cast a glance at the rain as it fell, a grimace on her features, "Doubt I very much..."
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evalin on February 14th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Straightening Evalin shook her hair, sending splaces of water cascading around her and stretching, "It seems that this place shall forever vex us my dear Tsenrika... Be it the heat, or the humidity, or the drowning deluge, I fear this vessel shall not last through it all." Leaning her staff against the cavern wall, Evalin extended her hand out. Tsenrika obediently floated over her palm, bobbing slowly up and down, "Perhaps this is our punishment for deeds long past...?" She ran a finger over the familiar's smooth surface, gazing into her own crimson eyes, "Perhaps Lhex is laughing on high as we speak..."

"Such sentiments do not suit my Master... If such were true, the let him take humor for now. His end shall be that much sweeter for my Master when she finally achieves her goal."

Evalin smiled at the Irylid, "Know you just what to say my dear Tsenrika. Often I would wonder where I might be were you not at my side, and never can I imagine such to be so." Releasing the Familiar Evalin turned to look out past the curtain of cascading rain, clasping her hands behind her back, "Always you are there, my companion through all of eternity. The guiding voice that keeps the path clear for me... And of late it is what I have required."

"I do only as my Master requires." he said, floating over Evalin's right shoulder, "All is to see my Master achieve her goal, as our contract commands.""

At times Evalin did forget. This creature, this Familiar, was here only because he was contractually obligated, and because his life was tied to her own. He was cold, unfeeling... Yet the Immortal did not care. Would not others say the same of her? They were, in the end, a perfect match. Looking to her side Evalin said, "You fulfill your contract well my dear Tsenrika... Now I require your aid again. Now we find ourselves revitalized, where at first we... or I, was lost. Still the chains of servitude bind us here, and thus they must be severed."

"A simple matter. Were the girl to die all would be irrelevennt. End her life in cold and ice, and let us be away from this place." He said this almost too fervently, and Evalin raised an eyebrow at the Familiar, "Know you that it is not so simple. Should the girl die in the night all eyes would turn to her 'doll'. If she were to die on patrol then surely we would be killed as well, and if we were to slay her in conflict then the whole of the nest would be upon us."

"My Master's power is too great to be killed by mere serpents." Tsenrika pointed out, and while Evalin laughed she shook her head, "Perhaps so, however, rather I that we could escape without need of such tactics. Truly I care not for such unrefined actions. Kill when necessary, but avoid it when it is not. Create tools instead of a mess that must be cleaned up. Such creeds have kept me moving forward for centuries. The question is... how might we turn the situation in our favor?"

Silence ruled for a few ticks, but softly the Irylid's cold words broke upon Evalin's ears once more, "Grasshal... The Uldr servant. He might prove useful."

"Perhaps..." Evalin said, stroking her chin now, "Though he is but a small pawn with little power. We will require greater influence than he..." She fell to quiet musings then, her mind mulling over her situation, her actions, and perhaps even future plans. Because of this she did not first notice it. There was a prickling in the back of her mind, like an itch that needed scratching but was easily ignored. However, before her eyes the vision of the Familiar bloomed, and without words the Irylid communicated urgency to her. Through his eyes she saw it, a stone bigger than her torso sailing through the air, and without a single thought she flung herself to the left, rolling away just in time to fee the wind as the bolder sailed over her into the raging storm outside. Coming to her feet the Immortal pulled on her power within, res pusing out through her palm to curl around her fingers. She could feel it then, more power than should have was lost and when she looked to the side she saw a mirror of herself, robed and with res swirling around its fingers. Evalin smiled and nodded at the Familiar taken replicant form, and she looked now toward this new enemy which had made his presence known.

She saw it then with her own eyes. Another large stone arching through the air, this one aimed at the copied Immortal. With all the power given to her by her mark Evalin moved, a blur of motion as she placed herself between Tsenrika and the coming projectile. As she did she pulled more res from within her, letting it collect in the palm and along the arm of her right side. When she arrived she quickly spun in a circle, hand outstretched and calling the air around her to be pulled after the res. Then, just as the boulder was about to strike, she transmuted the res into air as well and a vortex of spinning wind blasted into existence. As the stone struck this wall of wind its trajectory was altered just slightly, just enough that it landed two feet to the left of Evalin instead of on top of her.

The other Eva was already moving, and the Witch could feel the crackle of electricity in the air just before the cavern was lit with a flash of light and the sound of thunder. In that brief moment Evalin saw him, a man large and strong, but then the spell hit. What it hit, however, was not their attacker. It was a wall of dirt that seemed to appear from no where.

An earth reimancer... Evalin observed, and through their link she felt Tsenrika's confirmation of the thought. Stepping in front of Tsenrika Evalin pulled on more res, calling it to pour from every pore in her body. She was already feeling weakened, though she hand performed very few spells. It hit her then, it was because Tsenrika was using her power as well. This art, using two bodies linked by djed, it could double their power, but at the cost of being forced to overgiving twice as fast. For now, however, there was no time to contemplate this.

Vortex. Evalin commanded silently, the res collecting in her palms and lighting a flame that floated in the air over each hand. Wordlessly Tsenrika obeyed, stepping behind her and calling on more of Evalin's power. The nuit felt it leaving quickly, already the whispers were calling to her to continue to cast. This would have to be ended quickly. The wall of dirt was already crumbling. This would be the decisive blow. Throwing her hands forward the collected res flew toward the man, all of it transforming to flame which became a long column of fire which Evalin continued to fuel to be a continuous stream. At the same time she felt air whipping around her, circling around this column of fire manipulated by Tsenrika. The air whipped the fires bigger, doubling their sizes and intensity. The sound was like a raging rapid, the entire cavern was lit red by the columns of fire that arched toward the man who disappeared behind the walls of fire.

The spell drained Evalin quickly, pulling on the last of her reserves until she severed the magic before she risked overgiving further. The whispers were now more like urgent calls, and her body was already aching from the act of combining magic with physical exertion. Fires still whipped in a friends against the stones of the back of the cave, lighting the space and giving Tsenrika and Evalin a clear view of the expected carnage. What they saw, however, was what looked like a man sized coffin made of white stone. Evalin's eyes widened, equally impressed and uneasy by what she saw, "It seems he is more skilled than we believed..."

"Indeed..." Tsenrika said, stepping up beside Evalin as he did. It was then that the nuit noticed once more that prickling sensation, a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that was so familiar. So familiar... And then it struck her. A smile creeped on her lips, and throwing her cloak over her shoulder she strode forward confidently. Without question Tsenrika followed, returning to his natural form as he did.

A long crack appeared in the stone, running down the middle. Evalin stopped just a few feet from this coffin of stone, and simply watched as the crack widened until the entire structure crumbled. Standing in its place was a Myrian man, large and muscled. A beast of a brute, hairy, and at least two heads taller than her. His eyes were a deep red, narrowed in anger, and he stepped forward, fist raising as if to strike down the small sorceress. Evalin simply raised a hand, saying softly, "Stop."

She felt power vibrate through her mark, her soul, and before her eyes the giant of a man froze, fist still raised, eyes widening in shock and equally in rage.

"Oh how Uldr does provide when asked... Curious that he is so accomodating to I and my needs." She laughed, eyes roaming up and down this man. No... It wasn't a man. The eyes were dull and lifeless, the skin pale and in places there were clear signs of rot. "A chained one so far out in the jungle... What is your name? Speak it to your new master."

For a tick it looked like the man was fighting it, the command of a Wretched one, but of course it was a futile effort and finally he spat it out as if disgusted by the taste, "Vino..."

Now this was a surprise, and it showed on the nuits expression, "Vino... Radjuvino?" The man's eyes widened, his surprise measuring equal to Evalin's. The Immortal then could not help it. She laughed. She laughed long, and full like she had not in some time.. At length she calmed once more, pressing her palm to her forehead as she shook her head. She looked at Vino, eyes bright with amusement, "It seems it was meant to be. Welcome home to your TRUE Master Vino. Welcome to the service of the Immortal Witch Evalin."

The surprise in Vino's eyes morphed to anger, rage and pure hate. Hate that vibrated through their marks, and gave Evalin a tingling feeling deep in the core of her soul.

Perhaps this place has been good after all... To see Vino once more, things shall soon turn in our favor.

So it would seem.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on February 14th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Leaving Vino, frozen as he was, Evalin turned to Tsenrika, tapping her lips with a finger, "A new pawn we have now to use. Perhaps there is a true chance of this... Two chained ones beneath our command, such odds are turning quickly in our favor."

The Familiar floated forward and slowly around the Chained one, who stubbornly refused to look at him, "He has strength and power greater than when we first saw him... He has become useful."

"Indeed..." Evalin moved forward as well, reaching a hand up to stroke the man's cheek. Vino tried to pull away, but stuck as he was he could do little to resist and Evalin merely smiled at the attempt, "I can feel it. Your hate has grown, and with it so has your power. Do you still hate me for what I have done? For what I have taken from you?" The look in the creature's eyes was enough of an answer. There was hatred there, pure and utter loathing. He wanted her dead. He wanted to kill her, to rip her arms free, to crush her utterly. It was like a work of art, and the pride Evalin felt in what she had created nearly overflowed as she gently caressed his cheek, "Very good... Hate me, loath me, wish for my death and try to take it for yourself. If you can." With a wink Evalin stepped back, waving a hand, "You may move about, but you shall take no actions against myself or Tsenrika. He is my Familiar, my other half, and his word is my word. Remember this Vino."

Letting his arms down, the Chained One stood stiffly, folding his arms over his chest and glaring at Evalin, "What the petch are you doing here witch... If I never saw you again it would still be far too soon." He spit at her feet, but Evalin merely raised an eyebrow and shrugged, "At times things are beyond our control... but soon that shall not be the case. Now that you are here..." She chuckled, looking the nuit up and down, "Tell me of your journey. What became of you after when last we met?"

Grunting Vino looked as if he would not speak, but finally he relented, not looking at Evalin, "I wondered for seasons. Traveled to different cities and figured out I had to change bodies before they rotted away completely..." There was glaring accusation in his eyes as she looked at Evalin, "You took everything from me, and gave me nothing in return. I had to learn everything on my own, and everywhere I went I was hated and despised for being something I didn't want to be. You bitch, you ruined my entire life!" He lunged forward, hands hooking around her throat, but Evalin did not move at all. She merely looked up into Vino's eyes. His fingers would not close around her throat. They would stop just before they touched her flesh. The order Evalin had given before was holding him at bay, and she simply smiled, "I did. I severed all of your connections to the mortal world and freed you to serve me."

Vino tried in fain for nearly a chime to kill Evalin. He tried to grab her arm, strike her, throw rubble at her, but each time his body would freeze at the last moment, rendering him motionless until he finally gave up the attempt. Absently Evalin looked at her nails, noting the short cut and how poorly they were taken care off as she said softly, "It is useless. You are mine. You are my tool who shall help me to achieve my goals. Accept this, and foster your hatred. Your only chance of extracting your revenge is to surpass me." She looked up, "And I shall not allow that to happen so easily."

Looking to Tsenrika she said, "We will make use of him. Bring him into Zinrah, a new play thing for the Mistress, and a new card for us when the time comes." Turning she made her way back to the entrance of the cavern, looking out into the rain. She waved for Vino to come stand beside her, which he did reluctantly.

"Foster your hatred and obey me. I will give you purpose for now, and over time you will gain more power. When the time comes, and if you wish it still, I will allow you to strike against me. If you can kill me you will earn your freedom and your revenge." She looked sideways at Vino, "It is far better than wandering aimlessly surely."

The man shrugged, folding his arms once more and refusing to look at Evalin, "I will wait for now... but know if there comes a time and an opportunity I will kill you, and I will take everything you hold dear and crush them before your own eyes."

Evalin chuckled and looked through the water once more, "This is how it should be."
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on February 19th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Evalin

Experience:

• Acrobatics 1
  • Endurance 1
  • Familiary 1
  • Observation 2
  • Philosophy 1
  • Reimancy 1
  • Socialization 2

Lore:

• The Climate Challenges of Falyndar
  • Securing Vino, Another Follower

Additional Notes :
And another one to tack onto Evalin's very unwilling following. I am interested to see what comes next.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)