The Mizahar Nail Polish & Beauty Talk Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Gossamer on January 15th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Nail Polish And Beauty Talk
Feel Free To Post!

We have a lot of various loves on the site. I've come to realize the women here in some small part or in some large part LOVE nail polish. I had no idea one of my passions translated to others here and that they would want to talk about polish as much as I do. So in the light of that little gem, I'm thinking we need a thread to gush about polish and other beauty products we love. And to that end I've created this one. Feel free to use it however you want. If we go off on a three page tangent about lip gloss, I'm cool with that. But below I will make some suggested uses:

• Gush about the color you are wearing on today's mani.
  • Gaining help finding hard to find polishes you covet.
  • Trading polishes you don't like but someone may LOVE.
  • Getting help with polish issues and nail care.
  • Posting how-to videos on cool nail art/nail repair techniques.
  • Talking about other cosmetics and beauty products you love.
  • Setting up swaps/trades/sales.
  • Nail polish news and announcements.
  • Helping other members get in on sales and deals.

The only hard fast rule is that if you are sporting a nice mani when you post, you have to tell the group what you are wearing and if possible include a pic! The pic doesn't have to be of YOUR nails because we all know nail polish is hellishly hard to photograph.

Suggested Introduction :
Hello. My name is (fill in the blank) and I'm a Polishaholic.

(Insert blurb about your addiction)

Favorite Individual Polishes In Your Collection:
Collection Size:
Favorite Brands:
Favorite Finishes:
Lemmings:
Finishes I hate:
Polish/Beauty Blogs I Stalk:
Favorite Other Beauty Products:

Code: Select all
[center]Hello.  My name is (fill in the blank) and I'm a Polishaholic.[/center][/size]

(Insert blurb about your addiction)

[b]Favorite Individual Polishes In Your Collection:[/b]
[b]Collection Size:[/b]
[b]Favorite Brands:[/b]
[b]Favorite Finishes:[/b]
[b]Lemmings:[/b]
[b]Finishes I hate:[/b]
[b]Polish/Beauty Blogs I Stalk:[/b]
[b]Favorite Other Beauty Products:[/b]

Polish Terms :
Terms We Might Need Defined

• BL: Butter London
  • ChG: China Glaze
  • DL or Lippmann: Deborah Lippmann
  • Dupe: Dupe is short for duplicate. A dupe of a nail polish means that another nail polish is exactly or almost exactly the same as that one. This can also mean you have two bottles of the same polish.
  • Dusty or Dusty Hunting: Going to salons or beauty supply stores to find rare, hard to find and discontinued nail polishes.
  • Evilbay: Ebay.com, although great for finding discounted nail polish, is called "evil" for their incredibly high prices on certain products.
  • Franken: A franken is a nail polish that you create yourself by mixing 2 or more polishes and/or pigments and glitter. Frankening is the process of creating the "franken."
  • HTF or VHTF: hard to find or very hard to find nail polishes, sometimes there will be several Vs to represent how hard it is to find.
  • INDY: An independent polish producer, normally found on places like ebay and etsy.
  • Lemming: A lemming is a nail polish that polish aholics really, really want and will usually go through a lot of trouble to get. It’s also the mythical polish that is so beautiful a person would gladly throw themselves off a cliff for.
  • MAAH: OPI Mad As A Hater, a very hard to find nail polish, always beware of fakes!
  • MPJ or MPJ Holo: OPI My Private Jet, adding "holo" to the end just refers to the holographic version of this polish.
  • NOPI or N by OPI or Nicole: Nicole by OPI
  • OMG Collection: the infamous China Glaze OMG Collection that shined a pretty, bright light at linear holographic nail polish. It was later discontinued
  • OPI DS ________: DS means that that polish came from the limited edition Designer Series from OPI.
  • $OPI or SOPI or S by OPI: Sephora by OPI (the dollar sign represents how pricey this brand is compared to how it was when it first came out)
  • Purge or purging: To get rid of nail polishes that you no longer want by selling, throwing them out, emptying them, etc.
  • SH: Sally Hansen
  • Stash: a nail polish collection, or really any collection at all.
  • SV or Seche: Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat
  • Top Coat: This is the rock hard clear polish finish most people put over the colored polish they use.
  • WNW: Wet N Wild
  • Underware: This is the clear polish one puts on their nails to strengthen them and protect them from harsh nail polish color staining before one applies the colored polish and top coat.

Polish Finishes :

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 15th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Quick Note: Zoya has announced that everyone who participated in the Get Three Free deal a few days ago (I talked about it in my scrap) is getting a secret code generated into their account today starting around 3pm EST. It will be in your account after you log on and click on my promo codes and points. Last year they did this too right after the big three free sale (okay they weren't totally free but they were close to free..) and the deal was a get one polish free with free shipping... so basically a totally FREE thing. They have suggested whatever the code is this year it's going to include totally free shipping.

So speculate whatever you want to on it. We won't know until around 3pm when I'm sure bloggers and FB will blow up about it. So if you did this deal, log on after 3pm and check. However, if I remember right it took HOURS last year for all the codes to be generated for all the accounts and it could be up to 12 hrs to get it. Zoya warned about this too on their FB page. But, that being said they are giving you the whole month of Feb to use it... whatever it is.

Todays Mani:
Orly What's The Password?

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on January 15th, 2014, 6:07 pm

I am not so sure if this is exactly a good deal or not, but I recently stumbled across some sales when I was researching cosmetology. Cult Nails is having a clearance sale, with a few selections marked down to $5-$7 dollars. Shipping is free if your order is $20, I believe.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Elysium on January 15th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Today's Manicure...
Happi by Zoya

So please note that this manicure is officially two days old. I feel as if I might've added another coat - this is two and a topcoat - but it still looks fly. The color is gorgeous and very feminine. It's a true pink with a golden shimmer.

ImageI just started buying Zoya polishes and already, they're some of my favorites. Also, thank you Jen for letting me know that the code drops at 3pm EST. I kept checking my account this morning, fearing that I got jipped. Is it sad that I've developed nail polish paranoia? Anyway, here is my official intro. ;)

Hello. My name is Kate and I'm a Polishaholic.

I just started collecting polishes but thanks to a good friend and some awesome deals, I'm sitting on a pretty heft pile. Currently I only rock Julep, ELF and Zoya, so if anyone has any other brands to recommend, please do!

Favorite Individual Polishes In Your Collection: So far, I love Happi by Zoya and Michelle by Julep.
Collection Size: Modest. I have about 12 so far!
Favorite Brands: Stated above, though I can't play favorites just yet.
Favorite Finishes: Goddess by ELF.
Lemmings: Napa Valley Red and Vampy Varnish by BB Couture.
Finishes I hate: None as of yet!
Polish/Beauty Blogs I Stalk: The Swatchaholic!
Favorite Other Beauty Products: Brushes by Sigma, MAC products, drugstore hauls. I am a makeupaholic, so this is a whole new ballgame for me.
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Vanari on January 16th, 2014, 2:21 am

Not Today's Mani...
Just something I like :D

Hello! My name is Jin and I'm a hopeless Polishaholic.

I started in college and spent many a day holed up in my room, filling the tiny space with fumes. Since polish is so expensive I was on MUA (makeupalley) for a long time, swapping a lot and doing blog sales on livejournal. Now I've toned things down a bit, but my love for polish burns true and steady.

Favorite Individual Polishes In Your Collection: Aw man this is tough...my favorite tends to be whatever newest thing I have in my hands, but it's safe to say Nubar Blueberry, Manglaze Mayonnaise, Nars Zulu, Scotch Loch Ness Mystery, and this weird periwinkle pastel blue from some Asian brand are near the top of the list
Collection Size: In the hundreds... Your guess is as good as mine.
Favorite Brands: None really, since they all come out with good and bad colors. Some of the cheapest brands like Kleancolor have produced definite favorites, like chunky holos!
Favorite Finishes:Crellies and multichromes. Magnetics (when they work, like SH's) are sick. The adhesive sticker things are pretty sweet too, can't get enough of those.
Lemmings: Aside from the usual unicorn pee like Liquid Euphoria, Starry Starry Night, and stuff lurking somewhere in the depths of my memory, right now I'm just hankering for some gnarly Floam and cool Ninja Polish multichromes.
Finishes I hate: Frost/metallic/crackle/five-year-old-barbie glitter
Polish/Beauty Blogs I Stalk: Scrangie and Polishaholic. Those ladies always have perfect nails. Always @_@
Favorite Other Beauty Products: Uh...hair oil...yeah I got nothin'

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 19th, 2014, 9:56 am

Hey, there's a couple of good things going on in the world of polishes.

If you are a Butter LONDON fan, their site has a ton of polishes half price. They did have a lot more at the beginning of the sale, but I've been to busy to post the info and link. These are some of the best polishes in the polish world, and they sell for hellish amounts full price. So there are some really good deals. And I've watched it the last few days and saw that as some colors have sold out, other bottle colors have been added to fill in. I missed getting some sets of mini fashion sized for super cheap, but they still have some others for only $5. Whoops, edit, I just checked and they are out of those too.. but they did add a ton of metalics like Shag and Old Bill. If you love dark coppers and golds, this is for you. Me... I've been lusting after Fairy Lights. Sooooo pretty. I'd grab the two duos.. fire and ice, swinger, shag, old bill, fairy lights, and then I'd sneak over to the main site where none of the sale stuff is and grab their Stardust... have you seen Stardust? It's a hugely frigging BEAUTIFUL holo topcoat. Turns any of your normal polishes into a holographic polish. It's 15 bucks.. but man... picture me with Stardust and Fairy Lights together. I'd never get anything done. I'd just stare at my nails. Free shipping if you spend a certain amount. No code needed.

And... related to the last Zoya deal:

From top to bottom. Joy, Persephone, Brooke, Tess, Ivy, Tokomo Pixie Dust.
These are awesome pinks. They look similar in the pics but are very different irl.

Zoya's coupon finally came out. It's free shipping and if you buy two bottles from the new spring collections - either magical pixie dust or the easter egg colors, you get a free bottle of Monet, which is this beautiful glitter topper in pastel glitters. These honestly aren't my cup of tea so I'll skip this. I wish they'd let us order any TWO off the site and get the monet free.. but nope.. its just for the spring collections. But man my other zoya's came from the previous deal and they are sooooooo pretty. My favorite was Tess, Ivy, and the pixie dust in silver I got. I wasn't sure I'd love the Pixie Dusts. They are... amazing irl. I want them all now. :)

Current Mani: Julep's Margot. I've been wearing this three days and its soooo pretty. This is hard to tell but its a hollywood deep gold foil that makes your nails look like liquid metal.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 19th, 2014, 10:19 am

I forgot to do this!

Hello. My name is Jen and I'm a Polishaholic.

Essie's Shine of the Times (SH's Hidden Treasure Dupe)

So I've always loved polishes. I love other things too... talk of makeup, perfumes, and all things girly. I think it has been hard to have a good polish addiction before deep in the 2000's since the formulas of nail polish before this was horrible and if you did not use the polish, it dried up fairly quickly. Now though, with all the technology involved, we can go nuts and know our polishes will still be there if we don't use them for a while.

Also, don't tell my husband, but I long to paint his GI JOE figures with some of my awesome metalic polishes. Pink custom joes. Cool huh?

Favorite Individual Polishes In Your Collection: Again, this is sooo tough. I would have to say I love the metallic glass infused duochromes. My favorite collection was Orly's Galaxy FX namely Space Cadet. But I love Essie's Shine of the Times as a flakie (I long for Hidden Treasures). I also love just about every Zoya and Julep I own. I do think my favorite combo is the current Hidden Treasure (not the mythical flakie) from Sally Hansens topped with Snow Globe. There's something frigging AMAZING about that combo. I'm also a Chunky Holo junkie from Kleancolor. Black, of course, is my very favorite. Other honorable mentions are Orly Awaken, Zoya Meadow, Happi, and Dream. I love Orly Torrid, and probably my two favorite all time OPI shades are Man Of La Mancha and Show Must Go On. I wear Show must go on a lot! A co-worker at work made me get him a bottle because he wanted to smooze his girlfriend. It worked. That color is just that damn pretty.

Collection Size: Probably a hundred bottles or so?

Favorite Brands: I'm not brand loyal, but I love love love Julep, Orly, and Zoya.

Favorite Finishes: I love holographics, warm frosts, glass flecked, Foil, duochrome, and flakies. I love flakies.

Lemmings: Unicorn Pee. I'm probably going to get a dupe of this one of these days. Indian Summer, Hellhound, Season of the Witch (can you see a Crows Toes theme here?) All my other lemmings I've gotten really lucky and gotten a bottle of.

Finishes I hate: Anything cool - frost, metalics, sheer, and I haven't met too many jellies I have actually truly liked.

Polish/Beauty Blogs I Stalk: I love Polishaholic, Scrangie, MissChevious ( Julia Graf ), Nouveau Cheap, and Making Up The Midwest (Baily B). I have nothing to do with the Midwest, but Making Up The Midwest is my favorite blogger, youtuber, etc.

Favorite Other Beauty Products: I'm an absolute junkie for all a lot of elf products. But my main favorite favorite favorite beauty product is those fat crayon lip pencils. Wet and Wild just came out with new ones for $2.99 that are fantastic. But... my very favorite ones are Sally Hansen's colorfast moisture balm and tints... namely in Blackberry Honey. Unlike the name, the pencil tastes like chocolate, has the absolute PERFECT lipcolor for me, and I just heart it like crazy. They are discontinued, but they go on sale on ebay all the time. If you find that color, and someone outbids you or bids you up, odds are that jerk is me... cause I am very very sad they discontinued these and am picking them up where I can find them. I will probably have a funeral at my house when I use my last one and the last bit of product in the stick. :(

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 19th, 2014, 10:27 am

Just a little share:

This is how to fix a torn nail with a tea bag. I did this not more than a couple of weeks ago, had the repair all done, repolished in Orly Torrid, and about two hours after that I went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, the repair hadn't been fully dry evidently and it had wrinkled up all over the top of my nail. I showed a pic to a certain ex-AS from Cyphrus and not naming any names, but Cheslyn promptly declared I had a nail vag and has teased me about it ever since. I'll post the pic if I can find it. But here's how to do the repair as filmed by Julia Graf, Misschevious.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 19th, 2014, 6:56 pm

I just got an email from Enchanted Polish. If you don't know these polishes, they come out about four times a year, have pre-order's available, and then once they are sold out, they are sold out. You can find them on Ebay afterwards, but sometimes they go from 50-500 bucks. :) I'm not kidding.

So here's the details.

Sunday January 26th @ 12pm PST / 1pm MST / 3pm EST

http://www.enchantedpolish.com
PLEASE NOTE: *The pre-order for December 2013 and January 2014 will last for 1 hour and will END at 1pm PST / 2pm MST / 4pm EST*

Make sure to follow @enchantedpolish on Instagram for upcoming sneak peeks!!

Limit 1 per color per customer, NO exceptions
Make sure your PayPal mailing address is correct before finalizing payment
All colors will be listed on http://www.enchantedpolish.com by the day of the launch
All sales are final
This is a PRE-ORDER so please allow up to 3 weeks for your order to ship

Thank you so much!

Love,
Enchanted Polish

If you aren't sure what you are reading.. here's the deal. For ONE HOUR they will be taking pre-orders on their polishes. One color per person. That should sell out their polishes for this quarter. I'm not kidding. :)
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanari on January 20th, 2014, 1:56 am

Fascinating stuff Jen! I really liked that video, never knew the tea bags of all those nasty teas I bought thinking were good and turned out to be yucky would ever come in handy :D Man...EP presales are like coachella presales, though I fault no one for treating them as such. Such beautiful polishes at such hefty, hefty prices :'( No matter! I have set an alarm on my phone and there's no turning back once I catch a glimpse of all their new colors. *burns all bridges*

In more nail polish related news, I caved and spent a butt load of money on legit frankening supplies and 100+ different glitters/pigments...long time coming, but come it finally did. Also, my mom went to a bead/gem show and bought me an entire jar of random nick knacky beady things. What does this mean? Why, a giant, overproduction of polishes and jewelry that I cannot possibly wear in a single lifetime of course!! Yay for impractical amounts of shiny things!

Once upon a time, I might've funneled this overproduction into Etsy or something...but I don't like fees and I especially don't like other people getting a percentage of my hard earned money (more so than they already do) :mad:

So I decided this would be a cool opportunity to just bombard all of you polish fiends with gifts of good will. No one's gonna say no to this, right? :D I also have a lot of polishes that simply never gets touched...they'll just go to waste, and that is no bueno. One of my glitter packages should be coming tomorrow so I don't have any new frankens yet, but I will throw up some pics soon.

Remember ladies, there is no such thing as enough colors :D

Sorry I had no pics of nail polish...here's a pic of my cat instead.

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Next