Completed Access and Balance (Miro)

Inoadar seeks training in the art of Flux

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Access and Balance (Miro)

Postby Inoadar on March 10th, 2014, 6:13 am

Inoadar

Inoadar heard the mage out, pondering the words. He was silent for a few chimes as he considered the motivation for his learning. He thought he was capable of a compromise between the two approaches, but he did not want it to be due to mere impatience. It may be seen as odd to some people, but there was a great similarity in the degree to which one learned patience in both magic and poison crafting, or died.

"I can fully understand your approach in a regimen of physical training to focus on the "Feel" of your own body, the throbbing of strained muscle, the pounding of your heart and the feel of the press of blood through your veins as a result, the ache of a bone taxed to strain, the heave of your chest as you gulp air in exhaustion, the popping of bones as you stretch and twist..." He paused a moment to gauge Miro's assessment of his understanding as to the point of this initial stage.

Either the mage was waiting for him to finish before leveling a critique, or he was close enough not to be corrected. "I think the body retains a..."memory" of sorts...of these sensations. I think the key is more a matter of getting the MIND to generate this memory on command. I mean, if you need to suddenly direct strength from one limb to another, you probably do not have time to go into a program of exercises to build these sensations from scratch. You need to be able to recall them...instantly...on demand!" he slapped a fist into his palm to emphasize the swiftness he meant.

It was fairly obvious to Inoadar that Miro could tell there was particular point he was coming to, so he came straight out with it. "When I was in Nyka, I was a member of what they call The Second Edict, an organization that was dedicated to showing devotion, and building strength and resolve, through self-imposed pain and suffering. It was the one good thing that miserable town had going for it, though the effort was wasted on weakling gods that ignored it."

He caught himself, waving the line of thought off. "The point being that I still retain much of this "memory", in the way of feeling the endurance of the body and sensations of the limits of applied pressure and pain upon it. But I wonder if this would make me more, or LESS...sensible...or...realistic...in determining when I have reached a limit. I KNOW when my physical efforts have brought my body to a point where I risk permanent damage. But where this feeling is empowered by the application of magic, I am concerned that I will be confusing sensations that I AM familiar with, with those that are new to me."

"I can only say that I have learned well, in my field, the value of patience. But at the same time, I cannot take half my day exercising and meditating. Also I have access to a poison, one actually intended for use in interrogations, that makes the body more sensitive to pain. Do you think that these factors would make it possible for me to take a partial shortcut on the more drawn out, disciplined approach? Since both this chemical, and my past training, would aid me in more quickly getting in touch with the "feel" of my body reaching its limits?"

It looked as though Miro was about to respond, so Inoadar summed it up. "Basically, I would prefer the more disciplined approach. But the running of the shop, and other obligations, make this very difficult. Do you think it would be worse to have a stern program that was frequently interrupted, or a somewhat lighter program that could be maintained consistently? Or do you think these other aspects would allow me to sort of...meet your two approaches half way?"

x
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Miro on March 10th, 2014, 10:03 pm

It was always a treat to learn more of Nolan's history. Everything he said always just made sense. It was obvious that the man was no stranger to pain and hard work, but exactly why that was never became apparent. The whole of the man's style and personality were visible enough, but each bit of information was like a layer of dust removed from glass to reveal more detail. The clearer the sight of this man, the more obvious it became that he was worthy. To offer what the wizard had to anyone else would seem mad. However Nolan was a rare exception, one in which this shortcut was already earned by hard work.

"You obviously understand the lessons better than I could ever hope to explain them in just a few short words. You have patience, and discipline, and so much more than I can just offer you. And for what you have done for me, for what you have given me, I can work the rest of this out on my own. It will take some time to prepare, but you needn't worry yourself on the details. I will begin work immediately on the process of instilled initiation, but you must take heed to your own words. I can teach your mind to generate a command on will, but it will be highly untrained."

Without doubt the man was ready to learn, and was more or less an apprentice. These prerequisites were met to the level necessary for the wizard to teach, but he was not yet capable of doing such a thing. And frankly Miro was busy. There was a way to teach the apprentice's mind the process, but it would require three disciplines of magic mixed. At the very least three disciplines. "You will still need to utilize gestures and incantations, the magical words and poses used to center the mind. At first you will not even be capable enough to even redirect enough Djed to do any notable harm, so still you will need to train. But from the point of being able to redirect on command, the process of learning is at your own pace."

Was there anything more to be said here? No, there didn't seem to be. Everything was surprisingly well covered for now. The fact that such a makeshift lesson could even come to a conclusion as clean as this was somewhat a miracle in itself. "I am going to ask you to leave now so I can prepare. I need only to know how to contact you to finish things. Oh, and one more thing. Very important too. When it comes time to learn the magic, I may ask you to do things you are not entirely comfortable with or sure about. You must put aside your doubts and put your faith in me. If you can't, then this was all for naught. However you have all the tools necessary to find the path to Flux on your own. Thank you for your dedication friend."

"That is a lot to have taught and asked in one sitting. I am surprised you were able to keep up, let alone your student. Do you know that he even was able to understand you at all? In the end you merely offered to give him the magic, and he repeated to you the lesson you had just uttered. It would not be the first time an apprentice appeared to understand your lessons just to cut to the magic." But Miro was sure. It was not just a mindless repetition, but an elaboration. A explanation in itself, but a question as well. Miro could see that Nolan was unsure if his experience was truly the same, and even wished to bridge any gap that existed. No, there was little doubt.

Miro replied plainly to his Familiar and readied to show Nolan out. "Only a fool would take onto themselves a magic they were not ready to handle, and Nolan is no fool. He may be daring beyond all measure, but hardly a fool. Somebody who has survived in his world is worthy of a chance, and anybody who has excelled in his world is surely capable. I haven't any doubt." The undead, in a somewhat rude gesture, stood with the door poised opened. "I do look forward to hearing from you again Nolan. Next time I will show you what a master wizard is capable of."
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Inoadar on March 11th, 2014, 6:47 am

Inoadar

And so it was done. Miro seemed confident in his ability to learn this. His words gave Inoadar equal confidence. He had grasped the fundamentals of Miro's approach easily enough. He may have even thought it had gone TOO easily if the mage himself had not commented on the same thing.

There was the brief pause as Miro appeared to be having another of those silent conversations. 'His familiar, no doubt' the poisoner said to himself. When he'd first met his new instructor - "master" would be a difficult term to get used to - he'd noticed the odd pauses and thought them just an eccentricity. He still felt the man possessed of many peculiarities of personality, but this at least was one explained. And hearing the man make mention of several other djed-craft disciplines, he suspected they were probably the causes of the rest of them.

But none of this took away from his belief that this mage would prove to be a boon to his own development as a capable operative of Rhysol's will. This was not to say he viewed Miro as just an avenue to personal greatness. This man was showing remarkable trust in him. And he valued that. He would reciprocate this respect.

Now he'd heard the fools of Nyka and Zeltiva call his Lord Rhysol by such insults as "betrayer" and "defiler". Did not the stability and order of his city give the lie to such absurdity? The efficiency of his guard? The blessing of wind and weather in such mild capacity? The bounty of his provision for his faithful people? These terms were just the envious self-delusions of the flocks of lesser gods' manipulated sheep, citing recitations of failed doctrines. Or soon-to-BE failed, at any rate. Rhysol would see to that, with the glad aid of his faithful.

The so-called "betrayal" of gullible fools and weaklings was nothing more than the establishing of the proper place of the strong above the weak. Whether weak of body or weak of mind and resolve was no matter. If you were fool enough to allow yourself to be betrayed, then you deserved it, and therefore, it was not a betrayal. He did not feel there was any threat of this from the mage. For Miro stood as much to gain by strengthening his new associate as Inoadar stood by gaining this strength.

There was plenty of time, and he would make use of all of it. He gave a short bow at the door, "I look forward to it as well, Miro." On an impulse, he made a gesture with his fist as if grabbing hold of something beneath him, "Strength to seize..." then lifted the same hand up and open, as if in offering to something above him, "Strength to serve!"

With this impromptu salute, he took his leave.

x
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Abstract on March 26th, 2014, 11:10 am

Grade Awarded!

~|-|~

Inoadar

Award :
Skills

~ Observation – 2
~ Investigation - 2
~ Flux - 1

Lores

~ Miro: Has a Servant
~ Magic: Master and Apprentice are Important
~ The Feeling of Flux
~ Djed is Magic
~ Djed Use: Addicting and Dangerous
~ Ender: Miro’s Familiar
~ Flux: Redirection of Djed
~ Magic: Astral Body

Other

N/A

~|-|~

Miro

Award :
Skills

~ Glyphing – 1
~ Flux – 1
~ Teaching – 2
~ Hypnotism - 1

Lores

~ Teaching: Lesson Directed by Questions
~ Nolan: Part of the Second Edict in Nyka

Other

N/A

~|-|~

Notes

I’m still wondering why people call it ‘the Flux’… or am I missing something? Is that actually what it’s called? I’m not much of an expert on magic :P

Otherwise… a whole stack of lores for Inoadar, and more skills for Miro! Good work… Miro’s really becoming quite the teacher. I swear he just enjoys it.
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Previous