[Lenz] A Scrapbook of Wonder

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Lenz on February 28th, 2014, 1:27 am

Book Review of the Day!

Title: Shadow Forest

Book Description: Aunt Eda's Rule #9: NEVER-UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES- GO INTO THE FOREST.

Samuel and Martha have just moved to Norway to live with their aunt Eda, and she's taking some getting used to. She has too many rules, no TV, and insists that they eat local delicacies like brown cheese and reindeer soup. And then there's the most peculiar thing about her-her irrational fear of her own backyard. ImageSure, Uncle Henrik hasn't been heard from since he disappeared into it ten years ago, but that can't be the forest's fault . . . can it?

Samuel is skeptical, until he disobeys Rule #1-Never go up to the attic-and finds an unusual book: The Creatures of Shadow Forest, which gives scary descriptions of the fantastic creatures supposedly living in the forest. So when Sam starts seeing strange things venture past the tree line after dark, he can't help wondering . . . could Aunt Eda be right, and what really happened to Uncle Henrik?

This highly inventive fantasy is full of amazing characters and unexpected twists that will elicit both laughter and chills.

Personal Rating: ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆ x100

Additional Notes: This novel was so amazing and creative that I couldn't put it down the first time I read it. I have read it over five times now and each and every time I read it, it's as good as it was the first time.

Matt Haig did an amazing job writing this book. The details and the backstory and the twisted plot. I was a little on edge near the end and then after flipping a few pages, I was blown away by the twist ending.

I can't stress enough how much I want each and everyone to read this book. It's so great and wonderfully written and there are even pictures included!

Last edited by Lenz on March 21st, 2014, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Words: 528134
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on February 28th, 2014, 1:31 am

A Dream: Being A Pianist

I decided that I would mix things up a little bit, so I willingly supplied each and every one of you with a sad, slow piano song. Don't ask me why, I just thought it would be cool.

*Brushes tears from eyes* Wasn't that heart wrenching? Well for those emotional strong as a rock, I thought it was rather beautiful. I love composers like this. It just makes me want to learn how to play the piano that much more.

I hope to post more piano songs in the future, but for now I will keep doing progressive house and the whatnot like I have been doing until then.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by Lenz on March 21st, 2014, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 12:11 am

This Is Some Punny Stuff, No?

I've been in need of a laugh or two. Things have been getting stressful again and I think it's best to just relax and take it easy, so here are a few puns to cheer up any bad mood!

That one was pretty funning considering that I had watched Evan Almighty just a couple weeks ago. Personally I like the one with Steve Carrel in it rather than the one with Jim Carrey. Noah, Noah, Noah. You silly man...

So... yeah! Here's another one that should send you rolling on the floor laughing.

*Laughs as milk comes spewing out of nose* I found this one super hilarious. Just the way the other bean is so stoic and not impressed by the other bean. I guess I'm just easily amused. I'm also easily entertained, but attention span shifting drastically from interest to interest.

But enough about whatever is up with me. Here's the last one I will generously share with you. It makes me crave...

...lemonade! Do you get it? The lemons are helping their fellow lemon(ies?)! I love fruit, haha.

Well, I hope you liked these pictures and thanks for sharing another punny post with me yet again. More to come soon, so stay happy and brilliant!

-Lenz

Last edited by Lenz on March 21st, 2014, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 12:13 am

Did Some One Say Boom?

Well, I must admit that this song doesn't necessarily have a deep, throbbing, aching bass like the name signified, but it is a pretty sweet song to listen to. I hope you enjoy it either way.

All jazzed up and no where to go. I tend to prefer dancing in my own house, all alone, with no one to see me embarrass myself... but that's just me.

Anyways, more songs to come!

Last edited by Lenz on March 21st, 2014, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 12:20 am

Book Review of the Day!

Title: Tangerine

Book Description: Paul Fisher sees the world from behind glasses so thick he looks like a bug-eyed alien. But he’s not so blind that he can’t see there are some very unusual things about his family’s new home in Tangerine County, Florida.

Where else does a sinkhole swallow the local school, fire burn underground for years, and lightning strike at the same time every day? ImageThe chaos is compounded by constant harassment from his football–star brother, and adjusting to life in Tangerine isn’t easy for Paul—until he joins the soccer team at his middle school.

With the help of his new teammates, Paul begins to discover what lies beneath the surface of his strange new hometown. And he also gains the courage to face up to some secrets his family has been keeping from him for far too long. In Tangerine, it seems, anything is possible.

Personal Rating: ⋆⋆⋆

Additional Notes: This is a novel for all of those athletic people out there. The particular sport is soccer, but the book itself doesn't revolve around that topic. It's more friendship, sportsmanship, leadership and taking responsibility for your actions.

The main character here had to face many different problems, but he never gave up. Remember by rant of encouraging words and positive comments? Well, I think this novel hints in those general areas very well.

This book was a pretty interesting read. I admit it isn't very thrilling, but it has a nicely written plot and Bloor does a good job describing the events that unfold as the main character goes through his life on the soccer field.

I encourage everyone to read it whether you're a sports lover or not!

Last edited by Lenz on March 22nd, 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 12:22 am

Book Reading Music

Just because I posted that book review above, I'd thought I'd give you all a nice, slow song that wouldn't disrupt your concentration on any books you may be reading right now.

Enjoy!

More to come! More book reviews to come as well, so stay tuned!

Last edited by Lenz on March 22nd, 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 12:29 am

Hollow Inside

written by me

Warning: Graphic details are written below

A counterfeit smile
A broken heart
A sullen mind
Impacted from the start

Entrapment of feelings
A sedative for pain
Enclosing spaces
Decapitated by black rain

Fog that hangs low
Emotions beginning to drain
The slaughter of the soul
Temptations being slain

Ears turned inward
Lips puckered out
Mouth sewn
Vital organs mid drought

Collateral damage
Malignant disease
Conscience shutting down
No one left to please

Dull probing
For a withering child
The severity of it all
Is so far from mild

Lacerated wrists
Deafening sound
The screams of torture
But no one's around

The calling of death
Had you growing stiff
Surreal convulsions
Too displayed to miff

Pain imbalanced
By sorrowful thought
Rip through your flesh
To see what is sought

Stuff inside
What you thought was right
Staple it together
And watch it ignite

The fire and hatred
That burns in your eyes
At the remembrance of cold
Delirious lies

Depicting the horror
That’s already mid singe
As you feel no blood pumping
Your body begins to cringe

A dreadful scar
A morbid desire
An envious pain
For no more to tire

The sedative for pain
Has come and gone
But you were dead inside
All along.

The end is always the best beginning…

This is a little darker than the poems I normally write, but I hope that all who read it liked it just the same. I find that I am more creative in the areas of darker and more sorrowful prose, so that's just what I go with.

Thanks for reading!

-Lenz

Last edited by Lenz on March 22nd, 2014, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 12:31 am

A Mood Shifting Song

I'll try to brighten up your day from the last post I made with my rather dark and possibly disturbing poem with this song. It's melodically well-written and I find that the rhymth is quite unique.

I hope you enjoyed listening to this.

Last edited by Lenz on March 22nd, 2014, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 8:19 pm

Book Review of the Day!

Title: The Eleventh Plague

Book Description: In an America devastated by war and plague, the only way to survive is to keep moving. In the aftermath of a war, America’s landscape has been ravaged and two-thirds of the population left dead from a vicious strain of influenza.

Fifteen-year-old Stephen Quinn and his family were among the few that survived and became salvagers, roaming the country in search of material to trade. ImageBut when Stephen’s grandfather dies and his father falls into a coma after an accident, Stephen finds his way to Settler’s Landing, a community that seems too good to be true.

Then Stephen meets strong, defiant, mischievous Jenny, who refuses to accept things as they are. And when they play a prank that goes horribly wrong, chaos erupts, and they find themselves in the midst of a battle that will change Settler’s Landing--and their lives--forever.

With a storyline that will make your heart race and your hands sweat, this is a read for anyone of every age.

Personal Rating: ⋆⋆⋆ 1/2

Additional Notes: I have only read this book once, but I will say that it's one that anyone will probably want to read more than once.

Personally, for me it was difficult to get into. The beginning was action packed, but then the storyline sloped down and it didn't seen as interesting to me. However, soon after I thought that I was immediately intrigued once again.

The main character has much strength, but his emotional strength is tested when terrible things happen to both himself and to people he loves.

There is a second book currently out following this one. I currently have not read it, but I am willing to very soon. I believe this book was a Children's Choice Award book at one time, but I am not sure, so don't hold my word against that.

If you do plan to read this book, I hope you like it!

Last edited by Lenz on March 22nd, 2014, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lenz on March 1st, 2014, 8:21 pm

What's That I Hear?

I'm going to host (or try to at least) another music hour. Every ten minuqtes or so I will post a song. There will be a total of six songs or more posted at the end of this music hour. So... I'll start now!

Last edited by Lenz on March 22nd, 2014, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenz
A Lost Survivor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext