Closed Fists of Fury.

Squirrel meets Sayren WindDancer. Surprise?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Fists of Fury.

Postby Archailist on February 7th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Timestamp: 43rd of Winter, 513.

Streets were a difficult thing to traverse. And with his expenses due for all the time spent lounging about in the Hostel, he needed to get a move in on his schedule - he was supposed to be working, damnit! How else was he supposed to pay for all the stuff that he'd been practically pigging out on - or at least as much as a squirrel could become like a pig. Still, he loved clay, and perhaps he'd eaten a bit too much of the stuff this time. He felt a little bloated as he ran between the streets, up a wall and onto the rooftops to avoid the clamor of people down below, monks and travelers alike that seemed to be everywhere at once.

"Petch, petch, PETCH!" Some people looked up to where the swearing squirrel had once been, but he'd already disappeared again and run down the length of the roof to the very edge, and from there to the next roof, and the one after that. Balanced precariously on the edge, his arms had to be held out at his sides like some obscene tightrope-walker to stop from simply tumbling over the side, and his tail as well like some third arm trying to keep his center of mass where it should have been.

"I'm gonna be late, I'm gonna be late.." And he was. He was supposed to at least try to keep up with deliveries at the Bureau, but it seemed that everything else just kept getting in the way. The workouts for a start, trying to keep up the training and the work on acrobatics down in the Warfields, or in the forests, or just between the roofs of Nyka's streets. They were all fantastic playgrounds for him to sway and cavort to his best wishes, daring leaps between the trees and the buildings alike, but none of that got him payed. Sure, it helped when it came for a fast delivery to be made during the busiest times, where he could bypass them all and simply sprint across the narrow roof-ledges and the occasional balcony to his destination, but the packages were heavy and the bags were flapping all over the place when they even stayed on at all.

He was going to be late. Anđelko was going to start yelling again. He needed to find a short-cut through to the East, but there weren't any rooftops that he could move between - there were only the bridges and those were crammed tight with people. He couldn't go underneath because then he'd just be squashed.. he'd have to hitch a ride.

And no sooner had he thought of such a thing than someone had appeared out of nowhere that, for absolutely no reason, seemed perfect for the job. So he unceremoniously rolled forwards onto his front paws, and flipped himself straight over the edge of the roof in what should have been a rather un-needed display of acrobatics to land straight on her head, cross-legged at that. "Hey there! Sorry, but you're going to the East, aren't you? I need a ride - you don't mind, do you?" He was being very blunt about this, but honestly, he didn't weigh that much, surely she could spare her head for a needy squirrel so that he could make his deliveries? That'd just make everyone happier.. especially the squirrel.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Fists of Fury.

Postby Sayren WindDancer on February 17th, 2014, 9:54 am

Sayren stretched as she awoke. What an odd dream. Least she wished she could call it odd, she couldn't recall what all occurred within the dazing venture. She took a deep sigh as she got to her feet. More training. It was exhausting, but she had so much that she had to make up for. Her foot injury stole away too much time. Now she had to recover the lost time, and make up the effort.

She paused for a moment, catching another breath before dropping to the floor. That's when she began doing push ups. Quickly dropping herself to the ground so that only her nose touched before hefting herself till her arms were outstretched. Then lowered herself once more. Continuing the process till she accomplished at least fifty push ups. Her arms burned, but she reveled in it, it meant she was slowly regaining her strength since now it was less a nuisance than it has been.

A grin grew upon her lips as she readied herself for the next warm up exercise. She placed her toes under the bed and placed her hands beside her head as she laid herself flat on the ground. Scooting herself forward so that her knees would bend as she lifted herself from the ground. Once she touched the tips of her knees, she would lower herself, but not quickly at the pace of gravity. To let gravity do most of the work would be to make this exercise half effective and would in turn mean having to do twice as many sit ups. It was to be another round of fifty, just to give her arms a break so she could focus on her abdominal muscles.

Once she achieved her desired amount, she rested back down on the ground. Taking a few breaths before smiling brightly at the sun shining through her window. It was an excellent day out. Barely a cloud in the sky from what she could see. So she could then maybe get some exercise outside done as well.

Perhaps if she could catch Savio at the bureau, she might be able to get some sprinting exercises done. Normally, she would try to go to Revy for combat practice, however, that particular day, as well as a few others every now and then, the loving mercenary mentor would ask for a day to herself, a day of solitude so that she may rest from her busy schedule. Which Sayren could understand and happily obliged the older woman.

However, before she could go meet Savio at the bureau, she had to make sure her standing in combat was still at a decent measure. As she always did for a morning routine. Taking her frustration out on a dummy, while examining how effective her movements were. It would've been more productive if she could have someone judge her strikes, but she figured since Revy wasn't quite the master at unarmed combat, it might've been less than helpful. Though, practice with a sword would be nice, considering she was still less than...competent with a blade. But she wanted to train more with her body first, wanting to be comfortable with her own movements before applying them with a blade.

Seeing that she needed both, she figured a few chimes for both would be convenient for safe measure. So she slipped into her tights and tanned tunic before heading out into the training room, combing her hair as she walked down the halls. Due to the lack of people there, she rarely had to worry about her self image amongst class mates, seeing that Savio was her only classmate, one of her teachers was her lover, and as for the only other teacher on the grounds, he seemed to be very distant while going about his own things through out the day.

Once she approached the training yard, she glanced about the area. Clean as it always had been, and void of anyone's presence. Mainly she appreciated it, though, she wouldn't mind if there could be a few other students to train amongst. You can only call punching a dummy training for so long.

She cracked her knuckles as she stepped towards one of the training dummies. It was beaten, battered, Revy must've used this one earlier. The woman had a knack for waking up much sooner than Sayren now.

As Sayren's eyes finished scanning the dummy, she rolled her neck around, letting it loosen up as she slipped into her pose. Her right foot shifting towards the side as her left foot extended forward. Bringing her left arm to a defensive stance in front of her as her right arm sat at her side. She inhaled.

At the moment of her exhale, she shot forward, striking the dummy with her right fist as she shifted her right foot forward into the punching. Than gave her arm a twisting motion so that it enunciate her punch's force more. Since the punch had stopped her flow from right to left, she shifted her body to reuse the momentum in another direction. Swinging her left leg up to strike the dummy in the chest as she made her right leg stand more firmly.

Trying to keep with the crisp motion, she spun. Pulling her left fist in till she vaulted it forward as she once again faced the opponent. She bit onto her lip in disappointment, the movement was not as fluid as it could've been. What was she doing wrong? She let out a sigh as familiar clops from a certain someone's hooves, trotted up to her from behind.

Seemed her favored stallion and friend wanted to have his own chance to train as well. She welcomed him with a smile and embraced him with opened arms. "Alright alright, good morning to you as well. Where should we ride to this time?"

The strider shrugged, he probably didn't care where they would go to at this point, just wanted to run about and get is unused energy out too. "Fair enough..." Sayren replied as she tapped on her chin. "How about we go see Savio? I need to get some more training done and it would be nice to have someone else's input on my movements."

The strider narrowed his eyes, it still had a disproved taste towards Savio for some reason, even till now, the stallion had yet to explain himself to Sayren. Seeing that, Sayren decided to limit his options, "Fine then, we can just stay here and do nothing." The strider rolled his eyes at her and heaved out a succumbed sigh as he shook his head.

"So then to the bureau?" Sayren asked as she patted his nose. His eyes darted at her, he wasn't completely upset about it, but he definitely wasn't happy about it either. "Oh please, the two of you need to get along anyways."

It only took her a few chimes to get him ready before they sprinted out towards the city. The strider dashed quickly with his enthusiasm to finally be out in the open once more. Sure he was going to be restrained by the cluster of people in the streets, but he was at least moving about again.

They slowed as they approached the Northern Gates, mainly since she had trouble with them awhile back and was still attempting to be on their good side. "Hello Monks!" One happily smiled back as the other grumbled with his arms crossed, must've been the one Garel had dealt with. Bucking his hooves into the man's chest, clearly, he still grudging against them for it.

"Hello Miss Sayren," The happy one said as he bowed.

"Better not be causing more trouble..." The disgruntled one said.

"I'm still sorry about what had happened Tiboen." She said as she chewed her lip, she honestly still wasn't sure why she was apologizing. The man had gotten her back equally with a shiner to the face the very next morning. So as to why he was still holding onto this grudge, she had no clue.

"What brings you to the city Sayren?..." Tiboen asked, darting down her apology for the time being.

"It shouldn't really matter. I'm practically a citizen by now," Sayren stated, "And the school truthfully is part of the city as well."

"Consider it just a formality." Tiboen's comrade said in attempts to comfort Sayren. "It's at least till Tiboen finally stops shyking every time he sees that horse."

Tiboen's eyes widen with rage, "Sveri! You petcher!" And with that, the monk startedranting at his comrade with a list of numerous curses as Sayren giggled, passing them by unnoticed. Least to Tiboen's attention. Sveri just gave her the same bright smile as she passed by.

On her way to the Eastern Quarter, the strangest creature seemed to have found her. Atop her head now sat a tiny squirrel. Sayren raised her eyebrow at the creature as it began to speak. Certainly not the strangest thing she had seen in the world. The squirrel was apologizing for the inconvenience, but he hoped the young drykas would be heading into the Eastern Quarter. So he was asking for a lift? Sayren didn't really see much a reason to say why not, the creature certainly didn't pose much threat and he was light, so it wasn't like he would be much a burden on Garel's back.

"Sure I guess? What business would you have in the Eastern Quarter anyways? I can't imagine a squirrel would have many things to worry about in the eyes of man."

Sayren WindDancer
"Determination leads to the second step."

Words: 131634
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Fists of Fury.

Postby Archailist on February 17th, 2014, 12:18 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

It seemed that he'd struck luck. A free ride on top of a woman, who was on top of a horse in turn. It couldn't have been a more comedic sight if it had been thought up by a street actor, though he would hardly mention such a thing, lest he find the woman's sense of humor was not to his caliber. "Wonderful!" Now he wouldn't have to worry at all about being crushed.. unless of course, the horse could get spooked by clay squirrels. No matter, he could hold on.. hopefully.

He was surprised, though, that the girl would be more interested in what a squirrel was doing wandering around Nyka, than why a squirrel could talk. Usually he got a few good stares.. but it seemed at least a few had heard of the Pycon race that was more abundant than many cared to mention. Not that he'd caught sight of a single Pycon such as him in these parts of Mizahar, and he doubted personally that anyone would come across one. Too many people, after all.. too many monks with big feet that just made the place difficult and rather dangerous to navigate unless one could navigate the rooftops with at least some quantity of skill as he had. Still, he would explain himself, he decided - it was the least he could do in regards to her generosity. "Aahh, I'm on my way to the Delivery Bureau. I have packages to deliver, you see - I'm a courier. It sounds silly, I know.. but you'd be surprised how easy it is for a squirrel such as myself to slip between the narrowest alleys of the city to make sure the deliveries are all on-time."

He might have gone a little too far in his rambling, perhaps just a little boastful - but he was very proud in his abilities, even if they could use much improvement yet. He always took pride, after all, in being a Pycon. Racial pride, some called it.. an arrogance called by others. It was neither, though! He simply saw the advantages of being made of clay. He hoped others would too, in time, when he showed them just how much could be accomplished. Oh, if only humans had been made of clay, too.. the things that would be done.

"And why are you on your way to the East, hmm? You don't dress like the rest of the monks.." It might have just been that natural Pycon curiosity or something larger, but he found himself slowly leaning forwards on the precarious perch of the girls head until his pointed ears just barely slipped over her forehead so that he could look down - or was it up? - into her eyes. "And I've never seen you delivering packages.. you'd certainly never get anywhere on a big horse like this.. too many monks crowding the streets, you'd be stuck in the rush for bells and bells.." Unless the girl was planning to go by foot, after all. Even then, he'd never seen her about.. unlike Savio and the other couriers at least. In fact, what had she been doing, coming out from the West in the beginning if she was heading towards the East? Was she an outsider that lived far off in the Outlands, not even inside the city like many other travelers who lived in the Safe Haven Hostel?

The more he thought over these slowly-mounting facts, the more he questioned the girl. "What's your name by the way? Mine's Archailist. And if you're not a monk, who are you? Why haven't I seen you in the Hostel like all of the other travelers?" Just as the onslaught finished, he took a breath and continued without letting the girl answer. "Where are you keeping your horse? I've never seen it in the Stables. Why are you riding a horse around a city? Why have you got a horse anyway? What are those marks?" He pointed to her arm and then, suddenly, he simply slipped off her head and landed on her shoulder instead, switching positions as if she was more a climbing frame than a person in the first place.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Fists of Fury.

Postby Sayren WindDancer on February 19th, 2014, 1:14 pm

"Wonderful." The squirrel says. Glad Sayren could help and all, but she wasn't too keen on just having a talking squirrel sit upon her head as she rode. Though she assumed she couldn't ponder too much on it, considering she was heading in the same direction anyways.

It didn't take long for the squirrel to open up, he explained how he was part of the Delivery Bureau. One of the couriers like Savio. Claiming how easy it was for a creature his size to fit in through the narrow alleys to reach his destinations.

Then the squirrel began asking questions to Sayren. One right after another. Before she could really answer any of them. She had to hold back a giggle when the squirrel fell off her head and onto her shoulder. "Rather curious one aren't we? Arhilist? Was it? I would like to state a clear warning. Garel, my strider and companion, can understand every word you are saying. So for you to say he can't get anywhere due to crowds doesn't quite excite him. It challenges him."

The strider only seemed to roll his eyes as he trudged through the crowd, stomping his hooves to announce his presence amongst the scampering people.

"Now, as for why I'm heading east, it's because I'm going to see a dear friend of mine. I know he's working at the moment,but I believe that's what will help my training out even more so. Considering then he will be under the urgency of time. And no." She smiled brightly at the squirrel as she patted his head, "I am not a monk, nor do I think I could deal with their confined ways for too long. My name is Sayren WindDancer. A member to the Diamond Clan from Endrykas. I do not live at the Hostel because I live at the Iron Fist School in the Northern Quarter. The main reason why I have traveled so far from Endrykas to begin with."

She managed to at least get that much out while the squirrel went to catch his breath, then showered her with yet even more questions. His main focus was about Garel.

"I keep my strider near the Iron Fist grounds. My friend dislikes to be too far from me, considering he is like a Guardian of sorts to me. I do not own him. He helps me, guides me where he can." It wasn't that she was offended by the squirrel calling Garel a horse, but it just seemed degrading. Like calling a Sungold Stallion a packmule, it seemed unbefitting to the tittle and to who they were.

Then the squirrel acknowledged her shoulders. Ah, the Windmarks. A drykas' defining memento. "These are my Windmarks. I earned them for hunting alongside my brothers when I was old enough to. It was a precious moment for me to be by my brothers." She sighed as she began to remember the motions. Her, Gravun, and Yusu, stalking through the grass before finally reaching their prey.

After a few ticks, she shook her head and came back to reality, "That seem to cover it thus far curious Squirrel? OR am I going to be barraged with more questions before I get to ask my own?"

Sayren WindDancer

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Fists of Fury.

Postby Archailist on February 19th, 2014, 9:09 pm

In the end, it was her fault for answering his questions. It just meant that he could ask even more questions from the answers that she gave him. Naturally inquisitive nature of Pycons increased tenfold was not something that many found appealing, barely tolerable, but there was little escape from it when he could easily hang onto her clothes as they continued on their way. "It's Archailist, actually." That was the important part anyway. Next came the questions told in sequence, almost directly after her answers, even occasionally pushing the limits between when her sentences finished and his began. "How can he understand us? He's not a Kelvic obviously, but I've never heard of a being that could be able of understanding the Common tongue and yet still walk on four legs. Past many of the usual beings that are around these parts of the Syliran Region." He had to tiptoe around his sentences to avoid calling the strider a horse, since he wasn't really sure that the strider could be a horse if it could understand what they were saying. "But how will he get through the crowds without knocking them over? It's not like the narrow alleyways are open for him, and in the busiest days, how will he pass through the most crowded streets without having to wait for the monks to pass?" Now he had to pass glances down to the strider occasionally, as if to make sure that the creature couldn't speak as well as listen, and reply to his questions itself.

Then came the next parts. "Is your friend a monk working somewhere in the East then? He's not at the Bureau like me is he?" What an odd but not welcome coincidence that would be. "Oh, you're doing training like me? I'm doing training too, and I know about the Iron Fist school, I was thinking of going out there and joining for a little.. but I've been thinking about it since I met up with one of the teaches there. You don't know Savio, do you? He was the one who I met at the Warfields doing acrobatics, like I'm training to do!" Funny how everything seemed to knit steadily together in such a close-knit community. "I guess your story is a little like mine. I traveled from Syliras, although it's not a very far trip admittedly, to find some way to train with the monks and gain some knowledge that would help me when I return to Syliras, hopefully soon." He missed his home, as all squirrels did.

"Sorry, but this is the first time that I've ever met someone from Endrykas. Does everyone there have these Windmarks? Does everyone from your clan have the same Windmarks or does everyone in all of Endrykas have different Windmarks as a symbolism?" He actually had many, many more questions to hit her with, but.. she was apparently tired of such things. He could stop.. for now.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Fists of Fury.

Postby Sayren WindDancer on March 13th, 2014, 9:42 am

The squirrel finally came around to answering her question. His name. It was Archailist. One question down, a few more to go. However, she was quickly interrupted by another barrage of the squirrel's questions. He couldn't quite grasp how a creature on four legs could understand common tongue. "It's true, Garel is not a Kelvic. He is my strider, and therefore, is a drykas himself. One who has fallen and has been reincarnated in the form of such a precious being."

The squirrel then brought up a concern about the crowded streets. How they would surely slow down such a massive creature such as Garel. "There's no need for anyone to be knocked over. Though Garel won't hesitate in giving someone a quick shove so he can move along his way. But normally people tend to stand aside when they see a strider coming their way."

For a few moments, Arhailist had been glancing over towards Garel, whether it was curiosity or concern, she figured she would at least clear the air, "He can respond, but he doesn't speak. Not with words at least. But he can understand you. Common wasn't his strongest language, but he at least catches on rather quickly."

More confident about his standing, the squirrel volleyed ff even more questions. This time she waited patiently, giving him a chance to finish off his questions. He even had trouble breathing at the end of it because he had asked her so many. However, she was certain she could answer them. She had no reason to lie to the squirrel. She even smiled at him when he apologized to her about his excitement. Explaining that she was the first person from Endrykas that he had ever met.

"No need for apologies. I understand. The Drykas have many things to offer in ways of tradition. But as for my friend, yes, he does work at the bureau, and as it just so happens, his name is Savio. I met him shortly after I arrived in Nyka. Even though he's a teacher, he knows for certain that we are still rather evenly matched."

With that out of the way, now it was onto her Windmarks. "The Windmarks are special drawings. Only those who have earned the respect get to wear them upon their flesh. I earned mine after slaying a beast while hunting with my brothers. I respected the creature by placing its memory upon me. So my mark is different from anyone else's. Just like my brother's marks, are different from my own. So even those from the same clan can still have different marks. Because nothing is owed to you. You must first earn it, then you shall be rewarded with the fruits of your labors."

She gave him a few moments to soak in what all she had revealed to him. Giving him a pat on the head to help calm him, "Easy now. It's exciting boon, but don't go lightheaded on me. Did I about answer your questions?"

Sayren WindDancer

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Fists of Fury.

Postby Archailist on March 13th, 2014, 8:28 pm

With all of his questions done and finished.. mostly.. he could recline once more and relax, enjoying his first ever ride on a horse. And a Drykas, at that. Being as small as he was, he'd never thought that he'd ride a horse, and granted that he technically wasn't doing any of the riding, he was still on a horse. The best that most Pycons could ever manage, would be some kind of large riding dog. And those things just couldn't compare. "Yeah, that about answers everything. I just never met an Endrykas before. Not one on a horse, either." Now that he had, though, he decided that he wanted to meet more. And, more importantly.."Hey, I got this crazy idea. You know how to fight?"

To say that the squirrel was a little competitive, may have been an understatement. If anything, after learning all that he could for now, he just wanted to try himself against this.. Endrykas. Human, like the others, but with cool markings.. perhaps she would prove to be a worthy opponent, or not. It didn't matter, as long as he got the practice in. Who knew - when he finally did find a dog that he could ride, he could turn for her to help. He would call it a little wager, unofficial of course. "If I win, you can try and teach me to ride.. and if you win, I'll teach you how to do whatever you want." Most likely not fighting, if she was going to be able to beat him. Oh, and he probably should have mentioned... "You'll have to get off your horse before you can start." Yeah. Fighting and horses never really worked since they were just so.. well, huge. Even for a human, the things were big.

For a Pycon.. well, there really was no comparison, especially the one that the girl was riding. He'd completely forgotten about where he was going in the first place, thanks to all of this conversation.. and his fixation on the horse, probably the largest part of all.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Fists of Fury.

Postby Balderdash on June 9th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Delicious rewards! Happy days and jubilation!

Archie :
Skill XP Awarded
Acrobatics 2
Investigation 2
Verbal Assault 5

Lores: Gotta Work To Get Food, Sometimes You Have To Latch Onto Others Like A Lamprey Eel, Couriering Ain't Easy, Clay Things Are The Best Things, Ooh! New Things! New Things Are Even Better Than Clay Things!, Horses And Alleys Don't Mix, Sayren Winddancer, Of The Very Long Name; Sayren Is A Drykas, Drykas Have Windmarks, Sayren Lives In Iron Fist School, What A Strider Is, People Gotta Get Out Of The Horse's Way

Items and Consequences: Nil

Sayren :
Skill XP Awarded
Bodybuilding 3
Unarmed Combat 2
Answering S*** 2

Lores: Odd Dreams Are Odd, Revy Is Nice But Alone Time Is Nicer, Savio Is Good For Sprinting, Monks Have Long Memories, Garel Is A Very Naughty Horse, Garel Is Shyke-Worthy, Talking Squirrels Aren't Much Of A Burden, Archailist The Highly Inquisitive Squirrel, Archailist Never Shuts Up, Archie Wants To Fight, Archie Wants To Ride

Items and Consequences: A niggling suspicion that someone has spiked her orange juice.

A fun little thread, with lots of adorable little moments. :D Much joy!

If you have any questions or concerns about this grade, please PM me. A happy you is a happy Balderdash!

Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Words: 201561
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)