Rhetoric From Under The Sea

Travel from Avanthal to WR, Konti and Charoda Meet

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast, beautiful oceans encircling Mizahar. The Eastern Ocean to the east and the Western Ocean to the west.

Postby Una Tanta on February 9th, 2014, 6:27 am

x
x

65th Day of Winter 513 AV

Una had left Avanthal 11 days ago. As her head slipped above the surface gazing out over the cold grey waves she felt her body shake slightly. Though she had grown up in the cold of the north and had once had a heavy layer of blubber to keep her warm her time in Avanthal, out of the water, had shed much of it. Though Jack had commented on her humanoid form coming through as the blubber melted away, she cursed it's absence. It was cold. Brutally cold.

She had made quick progress at the beginning, the Winter being the warmest season up North but as she slid around the icebergs in the south it got colder. "Ridiculous..." She muttered to herself, "getting colder to the south, absolutely ridiculous." Una sunk in the steel liquid slowly blowing angry bubbles toward the surface.

It had been so long since she had a proper swim her muscles screamed in agony. She should reach her and Cys coral home within the day and she couldn't wait to sink into the old familiarity. To surround herself with the puttering exhalations of the sea floor, heat emanating from the tall towers that allowed her home to grow and flourish. Memory too clear and hopes too picturesque she didn't stop to think of what might have happened to her home since she stopped tending its growing towers and the smooth walled rooms of the interior.

As she submerged again feet locked together as she propelled herself through the water much like the dolphins of Thunder Bay. Using her hands and arms to control her rise and descent she slide into the murky black depth white skin beginning to glow as Synas light dwindled above her.

Glancing up as she moved through the water she watched the bright surface ripple hundreds of yards away. Fish floated above her, their bellies echoing the colour of the sky, their tops as dark as the depths. Una grinned, "How clever...". Though her eyes remained open as she swam the depth were too dark to distinguish much. Instead she used rusty senses listening and feeling to the trickles in the water.

Charoda were unique creatures, as nibble and sentient as humans but they didn't have the sharks uncanny ability to sense things from miles away, nor the fishes ability to blend into her surroundings. While her soft glowing baubles let her graze upon the shrubbery in the dark depths they were also a beacon, calling predators near.

She heard the whistling only moments before she began to see the hull. Wiggling out of its way Una grinned up at the surface. They weren't making much headway in the lack of wind and Una couldn't help but get giddy at the sight of some semblance of civilization. Though she had once thrived in the watery wilds she had grown coddled and used to the sensibilities of land and home.

Surfacing beside the ship her voice echoed up the curving wall of wood, "Hey! Down here!" As the pale faces peeked over at her she waved back. Making her gestures large and exaggerated so they could understand from up above, "Ladder?" She called. She loathed to yell, even with a purpose it somehow clashed with her quiet sensibilities.

Heads disappeared to be replaced by arms extending a rope down the side of the hull. Splashing her as it slid into the water Una reached out grabbing the sodden wood and hauling herself up the side. She had never climbed such a wriggling ladder and it showed. Pausing every few moments to try and get a grip she could feel her slippery skin resisting the sodden wood. Hauling herself over the top of the boat she tripped on the edge and fell awkwardly across the deck.
x
x
Last edited by Una Tanta on May 15th, 2014, 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Iosha on February 27th, 2014, 3:36 am

Staring up at the limp sail, Iosha wondered if the god of the winds forsaken her ship to drift through the bitterly cold sea for eternity. Five days has passed since the wind stopped and the Sea Jumper grounded to a complete stop. The first mate kept reassuring her that Zulrav would take notice of them eventually, but the Sea Jumper hadn't moved at all in two days. Iosha assumed Zulrav was to busy to notice one lone ship stranded in the middle of Storm Bay. The crew of the Sea Jumper insisted that she should read the clouds or commune with the goddess Avalis, so they could learn when the winds would pick up again. When she told them that she was healer and not a seer. The crew just walked away disappointed leaving the konti to her lonesome staring out into water. As she stared out into the water, Iosha noticed the surface of the water was glass as they floated effortless through the icy waters. The healer looked off into the distance saw a large iceberg peeking out of the water. She really hoped the ship didn't drift to close to it otherwise the passengers and crew of the Sea Jumper might have to swim the rest of the way to Avanthal.

Hearing a commotion on the other side of the ship, Iosha saw about five human's looking over the side of the ship at something in the water. Turning her hooded head, she watched with curiosity as the sailors rushed to around to look for a rope latter. The konti watched the men let the rope latter unravel on the other side of the ship. Standing up, Iosha made her way to the gathering of men. When the konti got closer, she saw a female Charoda standing in to middle of the group of men. The healer remembered meeting a pod of Charoda in Thunder Bay last spring when they arrived unexpectedly after the star fell from the heavens. Iosha remembered feeling a sort of kinship to the other children of Laviku when she spoke with them. As the healer got closer to the Charoda, she noticed the woman was dripping wet and was completely naked. Iosha wasn't sure how hardy the Charoda were, but she knew if she stayed out like this in the harsh elements. She would quickly get hypothermia. Also, the charoda woman might look alien to the human sailors, but She was still a woman, so she didn't want the sailors to get any ideas about taking advantage of her either.

Taking off her white hooded fur jacket, Iosha quickly walked behind the Charoda women and draped her coat over the shoulders of woman. Iosha looked at the gawking men and said with a wink,
“Don't you handsome boys have work to do? I am going to get her dried off before she freezes..” The men looked at each other for a moment and a blond young man said with a laugh, “Iosha if you need help drying her off... I can help.” Stepping in front of the Charoda, Iosha said with giggle, “I am sure you would, Sten, but I can manage on my own.” The waited for the sailors shuffle off before she turned her attention back to the woman. Getting a better look at her, Iosha had to admit that the Charoda was quite attractive. Crossing her arm across her chest to keep warm, Iosha said with a smile, “There isn't many women on this ship. You gave the sailors quite a show coming on board.” The konti said with a smile, “My name is Iosha welcome to the Sea Jumper.”
Iosha
The Pale Lady

Words: 510412
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2012, 5:31 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Una Tanta on March 19th, 2014, 2:32 am

x
x

65th Day of Winter 513 AV

As she flopped over the edge of the sodden bow Una rose gracefully casting her gaze over the lingering eyes of the sailors. Having grown up in the docks of Wind Reach she had spent much time with the Inartan sailors and felt perfectly at ease naked amongst them. She had never experienced the men at sea, where one rarely saw a woman for months. As pale as the icebergs that surrounded them but smaller and lither than anything but the penguins they might have spotted Una was an uncannily beautiful Charoda to humans. With her elegant shell crown hiding her tentacles, the gentle pink tinting the ends of her fingers, toes and navel she looked remarkably human-like.

Smiling at the sailors the wind smacking her wet thighs and small breasts Una shivered slightly, "It's polite to feed and clothe a gu-". Before she could lecture the leering group a woman of incredible beauty approached. Scaled hands reached out placing a warm white cloth jacket Una ran her fingers over it, reminded of her red leather jacket she was forced to leave in Avanthal.

"Thank you." Una smiled graciously at the woman. The coat was delightfully warm and she curved her body into it gratefully. Having lost much of the blubber she had spent most of her life with in Avanthal she wasn't as adapted to the cold as she had once been. She hair was almost as fair as Unas, and her violet eyes sparkled with mirth as she spoke with the sailors.

“Don't you handsome boys have work to do? I am going to get her dried off before she freezes..” The womans common had an unfamiliar lilt to her voice and Una grinned greedily. It wasn't often she had heard a voice without the crisp huskiness of Avanthal or clipped chirp of Wind Reach.

“Iosha if you need help drying her off... I can help.” Glancing about, Una couldn't stop herself from grinning at the blonde haired sailor. Sailors were always a raucous and amusing bunch and while Una was relieved for both the break and the promise of food she was secretly happy for the familiar company as well.

The long legs stepped in front of her, so long they were almost bars separating her from the crew. “I am sure you would, Sten, but I can manage on my own.” The sailors moved off exchanging chuckles and over the shoulder glances, some winking at either her or her guardian. “There isn't many women on this ship. You gave the sailors quite a show coming on board.” Una tilted her head, judging whether the statement was accusatory or not. Several rebuttals tickled her lips but she kept them bared behind the pearly pointed teeth. "I thought such hard working and deprived sailors could use some entertainment. I apologize, I didn't know they already had such competitive entertainment on board."

Her eyes foamed with mirth. She wasn't a natural comedian and she rarely endeavoured to be anything less than serious but the easy manner with which she and the sailors had spoke made her vaguely jealous and she struggled to match it.

“My name is Iosha welcome to the Sea Jumper.” The woman introduced, "I'm Una, and thank you. Your kindness is appreciated." The Charoda replied nodding at the warm fabric that hugged her shoulders. "Though I must admit, if you have food to spare I would equally appreciate such." She suggested hopefully. Finding plant-life in this region of the ocean had been a struggle, the deep depths she normally swam to find it too cold in her present state.

x
x
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Iosha on March 22nd, 2014, 7:48 am

Iosha rubbed her arms and said with a smile,
“The meals aren't served till later, but I do have some food rations by my bunk. Follow me.” The konti hoped that she wasn't being pushy, but the elements were already chilling her to the bone. When Iosha got to the door, she opened a door revealing stairs going down into the belly of the ship. She walked through the door and walked down the first flight of stairs to the living quarters. The konti knew common sailors and passengers not willing to pay the fee for a cabin ended up with a tight bunk against the hull of the ship. It was horribly cramped for the laborers of the ship, but with limited space, beggars can't be choosers. When she got to her bunk, she walked to be backpack and started to dig out some of the dried rations for the woman. Holding the food out for her, Iosha gave her smirk and said with a laugh,“You have to trust me...it tastes better than it looks.” Iosha held in her hand some dried meat and nuts from Wind Reach. The konti only ate the rations when she needed the energy to get to the next meal. Looking around at her living arrangements, Iosha looked at the exotic looking woman in front of her. She didn't know much about the chorada, but the fact the woman was swimming in the open ocean express even her. Iosha mainly stuck to the shoreline and quiet lagoons, but to traverse the ocean was a feat to partial land dweller.

Iosha looked and saw no one in the bunk under hers when their wasn't. Iosha leaned up against the bunk and asked with another smile, “So... do you live around here?” Iosha never really had a conversation with a charoda, so she wasn't sure what to talk to them about. She was curious how long the aquatic race could live out of water, but she wasn't going to ask since she might come off as rude. Realizing, the charoda was naked. Iosha widen her eyes and said with a laugh, “My brain must be full of feathers. Let me get you something to wear.” Iosha looked at the physique of the charoda to see if her cloths would fit her. Deciding to take a chance, Iosha turned and started to dig out her white vanti and bryda. When she pulled them out, the fabric of the two garments were horribly wrinkled for be stuffed into a bag. She held out the two articles of clothing to the charoda “You lose all sense of fashion when your traveling, but at least, you won't have horny sailors watching your every move now. By the way, may I ask you your name?”
Iosha
The Pale Lady

Words: 510412
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2012, 5:31 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Una Tanta on April 3rd, 2014, 8:14 pm

x
x
Una flushed guiltily as the pale woman shivered wondering whether she should give back the warm covering but couldn't bring herself to part with the warmth. “The meals aren't served till later, but I do have some food rations by my bunk. Follow me.” The long haired beauty offered and Una skipped along the icy deck after her. The boat was remarkably broad but as they descended into its belly Una felt comfort flood her. It was dark, moist and warm from the sweat of bodies making her moisture sensitive skin sigh with gratitude.

Used to the open of the ocean the tightly cramped bunks should have made her uncomfortable but she was so amazed and thrilled by the humidity created by the bodies, she was perfectly content to waddle and squeeze around. The white body hunched over a bag yanking and shuffling out dried rations.

"You have to trust me...it tastes better than it looks.” Una raised her eyebrows at the rations and forced a smile. She had foolishly been hoping for vegetables but appreciatively took the nuts. "Thank you Iosha, that's wonderful. Charodae can't eat meat."

Picking up a nut and holding it up to her eye she spun it curiously. She had seen nuts but never close up, nor had she tasted one. Gently taking it in her sharp teeth she easily pierced the soft exterior. Woody and strong Unas eyes widened in delight. They were spongy and old from the moisture, but having no reference she couldn't tell a bad nut from a good and adored the taste anyway. "...Delicious..." She said through the mouthful grinning.

In the dark of the ship hull her freckles glowed faintly, baubles wiggling slightly as she shook her head with glee. Scratching crusted coral for the last several weeks the relatively easy to chew and boisterous taste of the nuts made her giddier than it may otherwise have done.

“So... do you live around here?” Una nodded as she munched gleefully on another nut. "Yes. I built my home a couple miles from here. But I have been living in Avanthal for the last year." Una replied. Normally she wouldn't offer so much information so willingly about herself but the good food had put her in a good mood and she felt indebted to Iosha for her unquestioning hospitality.

“My brain must be full of feathers. Let me get you something to wear.” "Oh!" Una looked down at herself, forgetting herself that she was only wearing the womans coat. Reaching out to take the clothes Unas hairless brow wrinkled. It looked familiar, having grown up in Wind Reach but having never known one she had no idea how to put the clothing on.

"Could you?" Una asked fumbling with the clothing. The little bag she carried only held the M'waniis carving among other precious items, Una did not know much for fashion and clothing but the crumpled appearance of the clothes made her skin recoil and miss the soft leathery red of her coat, gloves and boots in Avanthal.

“You lose all sense of fashion when your traveling, but at least, you won't have horny sailors watching your every move now." Iosha explained by way of explanation forcing Una to nod. It was understandable, even if she detested the ill-treated clothing. She herself hadn't even been able to bring clothes with her.

Now clothed, with the help of the woman Una ran her fingers over the white fabric that looked almost cream compared to her perfectly white skin and blended in so well she still almost looked nude. "Una Tanta." She replied offering a hand and another smile.

x
x
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Una Tanta on May 15th, 2014, 9:58 pm

x
x
Though the water was her home, her place of greatest comfort. The rest and relaxation aboard the boat was a delight. She soon parted from the Konti to roam the relatively large ship nodding gently at the sailors who watched her entranced. As Syna dipped below the horizon they gathered for an evening meal. Though Una could eat little of the food offered as it was primarily salted meat she picked and nibbled at the nuts and pickled veggies offered.

The sailors conversed freely with each other curiously trying to engage Una. Asking her questions of the sea, things they would never know without her and she was delighted to share. They were trapped on the surface though they longed for the water and could only roam its surface. For once, she was envied and for once she reveled in the attention given to her.

Though she caught the Konti's disapproving gaze several times she couldn't help herself to the power transmuted to her through their attentions. "And what of Wind Reach? What has happened in the last few years?" The fisherman and Svefra quickly went silent and stared at the rocking hull of the ship.

"There have been many troubles in Wind Reach of late Una..." One slowly spoke up but nothing further could be drawn from their lips and soon they had moved on to brighter topics and Unas attention drifted from the talk of fish size and marketing. Until...

"Yes, we shall return to Wind Reach at the end of the season. Hopefully with many furs and trinkets." One sailor spoke, his heavy accent making him almost unintelligible to Una. Una felt a pang of pain at the thought of Avanthal.

"Where do your travels take you next?" She asked from a place of pain rather than interest.

"Onward to Lhavit. The Diamond of the South. I must say it is my favorite of places and if the ocean didn't draw me so I say I should set up there with some tots and a wife of my own." That caused quite a raucous laughter from the group.

"Lhavit?" Una queries leaning forward.

"Yes. They have these great massive goats called Okomo and the goddess of the stars Zintila presides over the city...." He leaned forward, lips nearing hers and heavy with the taste and smell of alcohol, "...it is a place of magic...." He murmured. "with humanoid creatures called Ethaefal. Creatures with great spiraling horns that fall from the heavens." Unas eyes widened with disbelief.

"Yes. They run the offices and towers of the city. It is as if Syna has kissed each of their faces." He said placing his fingertips to his lips and kissing them. "Alses. Once I looked upon her, I knew I could look upon no other." This caused another series of raucous laughter.

"Oh yes Jacob, one day they will simply have to have you. A silly little sailor." Another mate shouted nudging him in the ribs. Raucous laughter and drinking began soon again and Una politely dismissed herself.

x
x
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Raien Ironarm Pitrius on July 21st, 2014, 12:43 am

XP Award!

Una Tanta :
Name: Una Tanta

XP Award:
Observation +3
Acrobatics +1
Socialization +3
Rhetoric +1

Lore Award:
Swimming: A lack of Blubber isn't a Good Thing
Swimming: Fighting through the Cold
The Outer Oceans: Camouflaged Fish
Swimming: Seeing through One's Ears
Sighting Civilization!
The Sea Jumper
Meeting the Crew of the Sea Jumper
Iosha: A Welcoming Sailor
Outer Oceans: Hard to Find Food
Iosha: A Pleasant Accent
The Sea Jumper: Putting on quite a Show
Asking a Stranger for Food
Iosha: A Generous Host
Tasting Nuts for the First Time
Dried Rations: Better than they Look!
Lhavit: Home of the Ethereal Ethaefal
Trouble in Wind Reach
Lhavit: Home of Giant Goats
Onward to Lhavit!

Ledger/Items:
+ Cream White Vanti
+ Cream White Bryda

Grader Comments:
Honestly, I can really see you progressing as a writer the more I read these threads. Its pretty interesting actually. Anyway, another nice thread. Good job. :nod:

Iosha :
Name: Iosha

Grader Comments:
Withheld due to inactivity, see inbox for more details. Thank you for your understanding. :)

Additional Comments :
Simple, quick, well-written, and interesting. I loved this thread.
Raien Ironarm Pitrius
Blackarm the Strong

Words: 109742
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets