Strange Faces [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Iasc on September 12th, 2010, 3:26 pm

“Eh.....”, Iasc looked at Isilla strangely. He'd never seen a person use such a blunt tactic for making friends.
He decided to answer anyway. “I study philosophy and mathematics. That's what this book is about”. He motioned to his book which still lay on the table. “I have some competency in archery and am learning unarmed combat.” He gave her a look, as if to say "is that what you had in mind?" “Oh”, he added. “I also play the mandolin.”

He looked towards Guido to see if he could gather anything from the man's expression about his opinion of this strange woman.
Iasc
Knowledge is Power, Music is Beauty.

Words: 74790
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Guido Faragas on September 13th, 2010, 4:08 pm

What talents do we have? A strange and rather direct question: It either reflects her direct personality or she is searching for something....Guido turned the woman’s question over in his mind, trying to ascertain the meaning. He lifted his eyebrows quizzically when he noted Iasc’s gaze – a clear indication that her questions puzzled him a little.

When Iasc mentioned archery, Guido allowed a smile to cross his face. “Archery is one of my interests as well,” he offered. “Perhaps we might compare techniques some time. There is a little place by the gates where I often practice. I can’t claim to be an expert but I have learnt a little about the shortbow.”

He then turned to the woman. “As for my other talents...well, I dabble a little in archaeology and I tell the odd tale or two in this tavern. I also assist my father in his business.”

“But now you must return the favour, my lady. What are your talents, apart from a rather direct manner, that is.” He spoke in a humorous tone. “And perhaps you might allow us to know your name?”

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Words: 114496
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2009, 7:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Iasc on September 16th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Another archer, and a short-bowman at that. What were the chances? He had never been acquainted with someone who shares his love of the bow before that moment. Iasc recalled Guido saying something about archery before but mustn't have heard him properly.

Before Isilla could answer Guido's question, Iasc, grinning, cut in rudely, although he didn't notice it. “Maybe you could show me where you practice?”, he suggested. "Only if it isn't a secret or anything, that is”, he added quickly, hoping not to offend. He took a pause and slowed his speech down. “I currently have nowhere close to the castle, you see, and it gets to be quite annoying. Each time I wish to practice it turns into an excursion in the Bronze Woods.” He looked in the direction of Isilla and back to Guido. “Archaeology and tales, an interesting combination”, thought Iasc. He had never sought the knowledge of either. However, the bits of history he did know interested him.

“You never know, we may be able to teach one another a thing or two. My uncle usually teaches me but he has been very busy lately so I have been practicing on my own.”
Iasc

Character sheet

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Guido Faragas on September 16th, 2010, 2:42 pm

“I usually practice in a small clearing just outside the gates,” said Guido in response to Iasc. “It’s a little boring to practice on my own, to tell the truth, so I would only be too pleased to have you along. We might learn a few things from each other and, in any event, a little competition is a healthy way to improve!” The youth spoke in an excited manner, clearing relishing the idea. His eyelids blinked rapidly – obviously a sign of nervous excitement. Breathlessly, he outlined the directions to the clearing.

“I have no jobs to do tomorrow, so we could meet there in the morning if you wish. Or, would you prefer another time?”

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Iasc on September 17th, 2010, 10:44 pm

“Tomorrow morning sounds great.” It was clear that Guido was very excited at the thought of some competition. Iasc managed to pick up most of the directions, at least enough to make it to the destination. “I know what you mean about practicing alone. There's only so much you can take before it becomes monotonous.”

The more he thought about practicing with Guido the more he was looking forward to it. He'd never had a sparring partner before.

“So”, Iasc inquired. “What form will this competition take, do you have anything in mind?”
Iasc

Character sheet

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Guido Faragas on September 18th, 2010, 9:56 am

“Well, I usually just practice at a fixed target scratched on a tree,” explained Guido. “But we might also try something more interesting – we could attach a target to a branch of the tree with a rope and take aim at a moving target. We might also learn something useful by examining each other’s technique – I’m sure we have learnt different practices. And, as an incentive, perhaps we might compete for a couple of mugs of ale.” He winked at Iasc and shot a brief glance at their silent female companion, who appeared engrossed in her own thoughts.

“I am interested to hear that philosophy and mathematics are subjects that interest you,” he continued. “They both seem dry subjects to me – what is it that stimulates you about them?”

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Iasc on September 18th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Iasc's heart gave a loud thump when he heard moving targets. He had never fired at a moving target before but he didn't like to back down from a challenge. After a moment of deliberation he agreed to the terms outlined by Guido. After all, all he could lose would be a few mizas; “and your pride....”

Guido Faragas wrote:“I am interested to hear that philosophy and mathematics are subjects that interest you,” he continued. “They both seem dry subjects to me – what is it that stimulates you about them?”

“You are interested, really? No-one is ever interested in them.” Iasc was taken-aback by Guido's comment and needed a moment to clear his head before continuing.

“Well...., they are dry subjects to most people even though everyone uses them in their everyday schedules. Mathematics is where I have done most of my study. It covers everything from counting your mizas to buy your drink”, he pointed towards Guido's drink, “to, say, calculating the speed at which your arrow flies through the air and everything in between and beyond. On it's own mathematics isn't too useful, since we don't have the drive these days to research or learn like we did before the Valterrian. If, however, you are interested in other forms of knowledge it can be indispensable. I'm afraid it won't help you with either archaeology or story-telling much, though.”

He took a pause here before launching into another rant.

“Philosophy, on the other hand, is trying to use logic to explain things instead of numbers. Currently, I am interested in the nature of people. It's not very interesting to most people.” Iasc gave a shrug. “I'm also interested in the link between mathematics and philosophy.”

He wasn't too sure what to say as no-one ever really asked him about these subjects. He decided to stop talking and give Guido a chance to ask another question or change the subject of conversation.
Iasc

Character sheet

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Guido Faragas on September 18th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Guido listened with obvious interest to Iasc’s description of the role of mathematics. “Yes, I can see what you mean about its practical use. My father has two merchants whom he delivers goods for. He charges them both the same rate per wagon of goods moved. But the goods of one merchant are much heavier than the other and so it takes longer to load and unload the cargo. I keep telling my father that it means we are charging less for our time but he will not accept my argument and insists on charging per wagon.”

The young human paused for a brief chime before continuing a little hesitantly. “So, that is using mathematics, I guess – calculating the payment for every bell worked – just like calculating the speed of the arrow through its distance over ground. It is very interesting. Perhaps is not such a dry subject after all.”

“As for philosophy,” he mused. “If, as you say, it is simply logic with words instead of numbers, then it may be something I use in my story telling. Although I may at times...exaggerate a little for dramatic effect in my tales.” He couldn’t prevent a chuckle emerging. “There always has to be a grain of truth – a logic to the story – for it to retain the listener’s interest. So, perhaps I am a philosopher after all.” He seemed please with the notion, sitting back in his chair and pursing his lips.”

“But you say that you are interested in the link between the two - philosophy and mathematics. How exactly does that work?”

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Iasc on September 19th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Iasc gave an awkward smile at Guido's wondering. “I'm afraid that I don't know much about it. My uncle knows much more and says he will teach me when I'm ready. I know a few basics but, at it's essence, it tries to explain the relationship between maths and reality.....beyond basic calculations of course”, he added.
“It's not something anyone would ever need.”

“As for your father”, Iasc commented. “He is getting less money than he should. I'm not sure how he calculates payments but a simple pay-per-pound method would make him a lot more money. So, instead of charging a flat rate, which I'll assume is what he does, he charges a certain amount per pound and the man with the heavier load must pay more. It's very simple, yet effective.”

Iasc, proud with himself, sat back in his chair.

“Tell me about your interests, archaeology and story-telling, if you don't mind of course.” He tried not to sound too direct, but he had wanted to ask the question for a while now.
“All I know about history is a few facts about the Valterrian and I know nothing about telling tales.”
Iasc

Character sheet

Strange Faces [Open]

Postby Guido Faragas on September 20th, 2010, 6:08 pm

“Maths and reality,” echoed Guido. “It sounds a little confusing - I think I would need to know more about both philosophy and mathematics to understand such matters. Still, the idea of payment per item of weight is one I will put to my father: perhaps if I put it to him as you have explained, he may accept the idea. We might then both earn more coins!” Guido appeared to have his spirits raised by the notion of earning more money, for it was evident that he earned little from labouring for his father.

“As for my interests – archaeology and storytelling, well they do connect, for matters of history often yield me some interesting tales to tell. To tell the truth, most of my archaeology has involved searching for relics based on rumours my father has heard. Usually, these tend to be unfounded but, on occasion, they bear fruit. I think I have something that might interest you.” He delved into a pocket in his jacket and extricated a small, broken piece of pottery that was decorated with an elegant and intricate pattern of crossed lines.

“This is a relatively recent piece, not too old but still made without complex tools. You can see that the decoration has been made by pinching or pressing objects into the clay. These were probably made by using bird bones or small pieces of cord and then firing the clay after the decoration was made. Early pottery tends to have rounded bases, whereas later often has flatter bases. So, if you can find a piece of the base, you can have a stab at the rough date.” The youth spoke with passion about the subject, clearly enjoying explaining the art to his companion.

“If you find several objects in an area, then it is possible to piece together something of the lives of those who once lived there. I find this fascinating.”

He laid the piece of pottery on the table. “As for storytelling, well it is something I do to pay for my ale in this place. And, as with archaeology, there are certain principle that hold for success.” He leant forwards in a conspiratorial fashion. “A good story must contain a copper of truth, a silver of logic and a gold of wonder and imagination – all topped off with a barrel of ale already in the stomach of your audience. So, I begin with a simple true tale, take it in a logical direction and then twist it in some unexpected direction.”

“So, tell me – do you earn a few coins from your mandolin playing as I do from my stories? And, do you compose your own songs?”

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext