[Location] The Establishment

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Leviathan on July 11th, 2011, 2:24 pm

The Establishment

While Sunberth does not have much of a job placement program, The Establishment does well enough. Anyone that needs any sort of job done can place an add inside, so long as they pay a small fee. No job is too small or too large and morals are never in question. It's not so rare for a 'hit' to be posted up alongside someone looking for an apprentice baker, or two merchants with the exact same request to kill the other on opposite sides. The Establishment is the fastest way to make a few quick Mizas; that is course if you are willing to pay a fair bit of your collection in 'taxes'.

The front room is setup something similar to a lobby. The lighting is dull and there's not much space to maneuver in, but pushing past the crowd reveals several boards with a large assortment of parchments and papers posted in any available space. Each 'pamphlet' contains the details on some sort of venture or another detailing what the employer requires and how soon they would like for their proposition to be completed. In finding an appropriate job one only has to show interest, whereas they take the posting to one of the counters near the back and 'register' with one of the various clerks. A simple process, the recipient lets the clerk know and then pays a small finder's fee, otherwise one of the various heavily armed men dispersed throughout the room becomes violent.

Sometimes it pays more to pay a little more.

NPCs

Master Tua

While small in stature, Tua's personality more than makes up or his size. Keen to wear a simple attire of a white tunic and a brown, wide brimmed hat, his appearance gives an easy feel. He's a patient, understanding fellow, and he owns The Establishment, making him one of the few upright citizens of Sunberth. That is until you don't pay him. More than a few "clients" have known to disappear when they were caught poaching jobs, or even shorting the clerks on their finder's fee. Despite that one, glaring flaw, Tua treats strangers with dignity and respect, and anyone that enters his place of business is met with a kind smile and a helpful hand. All of the best jobs are dealt through Tua and, with the right convincing, he's prone to offer foreigners interesting 'business ventures' of his own.

Skills - Business 36, Unarmed 21, Weapon: Sword 27, Negotiation 41, Seduction 20, Interrogation 37, Larceny 26

Job Listings (By Type)

Apprenticeships :
  • Armorer
    Need an apprentice. Duley Danon. Come to the Armory. Ask for me. Pay is 1gm a day. No experience required.

• Weapon Smith
    Duley again. Harkin needs another apprentice. Come to the Armory. Pay is 1gm a day. Blacksmithing Experience required.

• Stablehand
    Hello! I need a stout little lad (or las!) to help, you know, tend my stables. You catchin' my drift? Come to the Kennel, remember to ask for Killroy! Oh. You get paid too!

• Breeder
    I forgot, does anyone know anything about breeding animals? If you do come to the Kennel! Now.

• Brewer
    Lookin for somebody to tend to the bar and the brewin in the back. Red's Bar in stumble alley, pays decent. Good tips. Can be discussed on arrival. -Red

• Aide
    Old Legs is looking for a few strong able bodied men (or muscular women) to help in in ship repairs, dock repairs, and basic city reconstruction.

• Woodcarver
    Keith is looking for a set of fresh hands to assist in cutting wood into useful things.

Long Term Work :
  • Laborer
    The docks could use some help, mostly the piers. Braggart Bacony and The Turtle Den, mostly, come down to the Bay and talk to Hessin, the dock master. Decent pay.

• Smith
    The Armory is looking to expand. Need another trained hand to help. Ask for Duley. Need to know your shyte.

• Night Guide
    Borus Aleman needs a torch guide to get people to his stall at the Market. He says he'll pay well, but that most of the gain comes from how many people you lead to him.

• Armed Guard
    There are several merchants that gather daily to sell their wares, and at night they load up merchandise in their warehouses. These merchants always need someone to keep their things safe an secure.

• Bar Keep
    Red needs someone to help him tend his tavern over in Stumble Alley. Work the details out with him.

• Whores and Entertainers
    Brega has lost a few girls recently and she's always looking for a few replacements. Guaranteed fun, tips are common.

• Woodcutter
    Kander Carver is looking for strong arms and tireless laborers to assist in the chopping and transport of lumber. Hard work, long days, honest living.

Vague Jobs :

• Weapons Required
    Blood can be sensual, don't you think? Inquire in the Blood Pits to the Bull, he may have something for you. - Dastana

• To Hear is to See
    Don't you think? - Killroy

• For the Greater Good
    The Good Doctor has found his work piling up and his leisure time is fading. He needs a helping hand with... things. - Doctor Petricious

• "Help" Wanted
    Merchants always need help in their little wars of business. Hired hands are needed to throttle opposing businesses, and to protect their own.

• Word Runner
    Master Tua of the Establishment himself is looking for eager help. He has connections, but not enough legs to speak with them all when he needs to.

"Hit List" Jobs :

• Wanted: Crow
    Robern Dalagnar is paying a hefty price for the head of the man who goes by "Crow". Two Hundred Gold Mizas to the man that can bring Crow's head to Robern's Doorstep.

• Wanted: Raven
    Robern Dalagnar is paying a hefty price for the head of the woman who goes by "Raven". One-Hundred and Eighty Gold Mizas to the man that can bring Raven's head to Robern's henchmen.

• Wanted: Goldfinger
    The Sun's Birth has been a thorn in the side of the Night Eyes for some time. Competing businesses is never better for either business in the end. Bringing Goldfinger's Corpse to 'The Knife' will make the body disappear, and within days the bounty hunter will find the 'The Knife' with Three-Hundred and Twenty Gold-Rimmed Mizas, and a very generous charitable attitude.
    *Note: The Knife is a middle-man in this transaction, not the client.

• Wanted: Lotharia Bloodrunner
    Six hundred gold-rimmed mizas to the man, woman, or group that brings Bloodrunner Alive to Robern Dalagner at Rotters Mansion. No pay if the vigilante is dead. Lotharia is notorious for interrupting various criminal activities for all Syndicates. She would not be missed.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Bob Barton on July 11th, 2011, 3:05 pm

9th day of Summer

The excited chatter of the people who visited the Establishment did not bother Bob one bit because he has found something very interesting. In his hand was a pamphlet by someone named Killroy. "What do I think? I think Mr. Killroy here has something interesting to tell me." Bob walked up to the counter and slammed the pamphlet to get the clerk's attention. "So, where can I find Mr. Killroy then?"
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Leviathan on July 11th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Bob would find himself staring across the desk at a man with chocolate colored skin, and eyes and black as the night sky itself, staring right back at him. Tua smiled charmingly as Bob slammed the pamphlet across the table, the grin as a pearly white in stark contrast to the rest of the man. "I could probably find Killroy if I was only three little mizas richer." There was an obvious payment there. The price wasn't too much, but it was only information. For all Bob knew, Tua could have charged the same price to a dozen other hungry mouths looking for work. Killroy probably had a large pool of working men and women to pick from. "Killroy prefers girls though, and young ones at that. Who knows, if I was ten mizas richer I might even be able to suggest you specifically to Killroy. He owes me a favor or two." There was that white contrasting clever grin. Tua knew his business so well. Pulling whatever coin from Bob Barker that he could, and for what? Common knowledge? However, Bob couldn't help but assume Tua was almost trustworthy.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Darik on July 11th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Summer 26, 2011 AV

The Establishment, Suneberth’s only form of bureaucracy. A place were you could find any job…for the right price. Darik walked into the building with no idea what job he was looking for. He couldn’t believe he was even looking for a job in the first place. But then again he would get paid for his labor, so that made it worth it in the end.

After he searched every application he gave a loud sigh. None of them particularly fit his skill set. In the end, he picked up the pamphlet that contained the job, Stablehand. It said young lad in its description, but he wondered what was young in Killroy’s standards. He had heard some rumors around town that Killroy was a wacko, so his young could be kids around five years old. It never hurts to ask though, so Darik walked to the clerk’s stand. ”Hay, I am trying to find Killroy’s Kennel. I mean I know the general area, but I get lost easily so I kind of need directions. Also some info on Killroy would be nice too.” He realized how bossy he sounded which wasn’t the best approach. He needed to add something that would appeal to the clerk’s business side. I mean everyone loves money. “I can pay of course for the information.”
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Bob Barton on July 11th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Bob did a very loud sigh hearing the prices. Maybe he could try to get the information at a cheaper price. Being somewhat in the same field, Bob respected the man's way of dealing with his information but he found that the price is a little bit too much. In any case, the man already leaked out some very useful information which Bob could use if done right. "You are too kind sir, and I have no doubt that your referral would be most useful. But I prefer that people look at me as who I am rather than what other people tell them of me. Besides, I don't have much coin to spare. How about I pay the fee for having told me about the job and I find Mr. Killroy myself and see how it goes? If things don't work out I will happily visit your humble establishment again for the next job as a paying customer, and if it does work out I might have enough to give a tip on the next job as gratitude?" Bob gave his most friendly smile he could to the man. The job of information may be for the love of Mizas but if the man was someone like him, Bob can assume that having friends and contacts are just as important.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Leviathan on July 11th, 2011, 5:19 pm

@ Bob
Tua grinned. "So be it. Three coins and you can convince Killroy himself. It's a shame you don't have a cunt and pretty red curls in your hair though. Those are the ones that get in without a fuss." Tua grinned, he wasn't going to force Bob to hand over an additional seven coins, but there was something that stood out eerily with that man, as if he was pleased that Bob was trying to challenge him. Tua, never the less, took the three gold miza in exchange for the location to Killroy's Kennel, yet that was still far from scoring a job. "Can I be of further assistance?

@ Darik
"Of course you can pay. Everyone can pay." Tua nodded sagely as if he just unraveled some deep Sunberthan mystery. "Eight gold miza and I will answer three questions. Two more for any additional questions after that." Tua extended his hand forward, open to accept the money that Darik was expected to give him. Woe be to the man that tired to weasel out of here without payment.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Bob Barton on July 11th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Bob rubbed the three coins in his hands, as he tried to push a little more. "Getting in without a fuss? That would be nice but I guess we all can't have what we want..." Then he put the coins into the man's hands and looked him straight in the eyes, not to intimidate but in a way that would draw out some response through mutual respect "Three coin's seems a little bit too much but you and your employees have to make a living too right? But as a paying and would be loyal customer perhaps you fit a little bit of an extra service as advice instead of a referral into those three mizas so I can avoid the fuss? That is the only further assistance I require now sir." Still looking straight at the man Bob planted a little suggestion which has worked for him all this years with his hypnotism. "Why not?"
Last edited by Bob Barton on July 11th, 2011, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Darik on July 11th, 2011, 5:49 pm

That price was outrageous! There was no way that Darik was going to pay that price. The three questions would cost him half of his miza’s,and he probably wouldn’t get the job anyway. The man was a fool thinking he would accept. If it was toned down a little then maybe he would be more inclined to accept.

“Mister I think this price is a little too high. In my opinion knowledge is not worth it. Any man can find it out if he …screw it, let me give you eight gold mizas. It’s not worth my time haggling.” He crouched down on his knees not worrying how odd he looked. With his body blocking everything from view he took out his knife. He unpopped the pommel revealing all of his mizas. One he had counted out eight, he closed it and hid it away. He stood up and dropped eight mizas into the clerk’s hand.

“Where’s Killroy’s Kennel, what’s Killroy like, and what is his establishment like?"
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Leviathan on July 11th, 2011, 6:21 pm

@ Bob
Tua's hand enclosed dramatically slowly around those three coins. It was pricey, but Tua needed to make money, Tua had guards to keep happy. Tua had taxes to Robern he had to steadily pay. It was difficult for someone who didn't own their own business to understand how expensive it was for them. Yes, he needed to swindle and steal as much as he could so that he, in turn, could drop coins into the pockets of the master of Extortion himself. Bob made a good attempt to use hypnotism, but there was something he failed to take into account. Desperation. Even Tua was desperate for money. In Sunberth, everyone was desperate for a little more. His question "Why Not?" was easily answered. "Because I can't afford it."

"My advice is this. Laugh at his jokes. At least smile, but never laugh at him. Killroy is a child of a man, but he hates being laughed at."

@ Darik
Tua took the eight mizas without hesitation, and pocketed the coins instantly. There was still that solid grin, he wasn't such a bad guy really. It was all business. "Killroy's is just outside the Wolf's Den. You'll be safe around his property because he has a friendship with the She Wolf. Killroy is a fun guy, always smiling, laughing, giggling, but he's a little nuts. He's more charming than most people here, but he has a dark side. He likes little girls." Tua said this with obvious displeasure, even Sunberth had people with a few morals in tact. "Lastly, he has a nice place. He does damn well better than I do here, and his business senses are impeccable. He has good prices and great training for the animals, and he never runs out of them." Tua smiled and nodded, then spoke one final time before Darik had a chance to speak. "If you want to work for him, overlook the shyke he does. If he steals something, you ignore it, if he steals from you, pretend you don't notice and take it back when he ain't looking. Never confront him, and never laugh at him. Laugh with him, but never at him."
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Bob Barton on July 11th, 2011, 6:41 pm

First time failing with that suggestion, Bob was at a loss. He should look into this a little more for next time. He has just lost a huge advantage and its not something he can afford, the 3 mizas just proved that. Bob just nodded and thanked the man for his assistance "Ahhh yes, I will keep that in mind. Until we meet again sir." Bob left the Establishment keeping in mind all the things he just spent his 3 mizas on.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next