Closed Hook, Line, and Squire (Markus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Hook, Line, and Squire (Markus)

Postby Letixia Raigner on March 4th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Spring 5, 514 AV

Letixia sat down at the end of one of the lesser used docks, her legs dangling over the water. She had set her fishing rod, her pail full of soil and worms, and her pack down next to her. She had the afternoon off from her studies with her patron, Ser Ranqor, and was taking the time to relax. She liked coming here to watch the ships come and go like she used to with her father. She grabbed the hook dangling from the line of her pole, and a fat worm from her pail. She pierced the worm just beneath what she had always assumed was its head. She threaded it through the length of it, popping the tip of the hook out toward the tail. She made sure to keep the worm lengthed out as much as possible, to make it look as real and alive as possible.

She glanced around herself, making sure no one was in her immediate vicinity. She adjusted her right hand grip on her rod, holding as if she were shaking hands. She held the excess line loosely with a finger against the bottom of the rod. Leti then raised her arm up, then cocked it back, similar to how one might toss a hatchet. She then snapped it forward quickly. Much to her disappointment, the hook slammed down into the water about two arms' lengths away, plopping annoyingly. She pulled the line back in and thanked the gods the bait was still on the hook, no need to be wasteful.

She cocked her arm back once more, and snapped it forward, making sure to loose her finger's hold on the excess line earlier. The hook flew a good bit further, about half a javelin's throw. She smiled and waited. And waited. And waited a good bit longer. A full bell and a half had passed and she hadn't even felt a nudge on the line. She drew the line in only to see the bait was gone. Cursing aloud, she grabbed another worm to skewer. Cocking her arm back a third time, she loosed it forward, only to notice the hook enter the water with no worm upon it. She quickly looked around, trying to find where her worm had flown off to, while drawing in her line.

Last edited by Letixia Raigner on March 9th, 2014, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Letixia Raigner
Player

Words: 92660
Joined roleplay: February 20th, 2014, 7:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Markus Andres on March 9th, 2014, 2:15 am

Over two-hundred and fifty pounds of metal, flesh and bones walked around on the harbour. This was his fifth bell of patrolling the harbour. Walking around and occasionally finding a spot to just silently observe as people went about their business. There had only been one incident when a pair of dock workers had had an accident and argued about who was to blame for crate that had been dropped. Once they had started shouting Markus had moved in to stop them from getting violent and issued a stern warning to calm down or face repercussions. Neither had looked pleased, but they respected his demand and had carried on. But that had been a bell ago and since then there had been nothing interesting going on. Which was good, meant that people were getting along and he didn't have to step in as an authority.

He wore the full armour of the knights, also one of the reasons he often had to stop up and stand still to get a breather. It required a lot of strength and endurance to be able to handle a full patrol without several breaks. On his back his metal heater shield hung, it had seen better days, banged and battered and scratches across the surface. But it was still a great shield and it would serve him for as long as possible. By his left side hung the bastard sword, above it a simple cold iron dagger. Only the shield was visible outside his cloak that he had pulled close around his form. Might be spring, but it was still petching cold. When a sudden curse rang in the air, he turned his attention to the woman who had been fishing for the past bell or two. No luck thus far, it seemed. She had been at it for a while now. About to do another throw and Markus observed her form. Markus could tell she had a nice form - though, he knew nothing about fishing. That was when something wet and slimy hit him in the face. The young knight started flailing and bashing hands in front of the face. Trying to get the thing out of his face. Several seconds of frantic gestures and motions and he managed to get a finger under the wriggling worm and fling it away. The poor creature fell to the ground. Markus let out a deep breath when he looked at the thing writhing on the ground. It was petching disgusting. At a distance, he was okay with worms. On his face - not so much. The initial surprise gone he felt a lot better about the situation.

His eyes found the woman and stared right at her. She looked about curiously. Probably looking for her worm. Markus knelt and scooped up the worm and it wriggled and writhed in his palm. He shook his head and approached the woman. He hoped she were not a Drykas, he would rather not have to deal with the hassle of their kin right now.

"I take it this little fellow belongs to you." Markus said holding out the worm with a slight smile on his lips. "Next time you want someone to come over, just wave, no need to throw worms in their face." His eyes narrowed a bit, before a wide smile crossed his face. A pettier part of him had contemplated throwing the worm to her rather than nicely handing it over. Though such behaviour would be beneath a knight of Syliras and be, truly a petty act more befitting a page. "I might not know much about fishing, but I thought the bait was supposed to go into the water? Does explain why you are having trouble catching anything." The young knight jabbed at her with some light hearted humour to let her know it was okay. There was no hostility in his voice, only a bit of mirth at the situation. Markus had pride, but he was not above laughing at stupid or unfortunate yet harmless accidents.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Letixia Raigner on March 9th, 2014, 6:41 pm

When the Knight came over and returned her worm, she was quite thankful, smiling at him lightly. However, when he'd mentioned that it had struck him in the face, she was horrified, color draining from her face. "I.. I'm so sorry Ser. I'm still somewhat new to this. I'm sure you know that squires don't get much time to practice hobbies." She hurriedly stood up, setting her pole down. She faced him, not yet realizing that he was joking with her. "Hello Ser, I'm Letixia Raigner, squire to Ser Ranqor Grayne. Again, I'm so sorry Ser. It won't happen again."

She stood there at attention, awaiting a response from the young knight. She took this time to glance over the Knight. He was a couple of inches taller than her, and had a kind face. It was then she realized that he'd been joking with her. But her demeanor didn't change, for it was standard respect to be paid to a superior. She also noticed that he was quite good looking. Broad in shoulders, broad in smile, and tall, all of which she quite liked about him. She made sure to not fidget or move around, waiting to either be reprimanded, assigned, or dismissed by the Knight whose name she did not yet know.

OOCDo the Knights have a standard salute? And if so, what is it? I couldn't find anything in the lore on it.

Letixia Raigner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Markus Andres on March 13th, 2014, 10:12 pm

The knight had to say, she looked rather cute up close. Especially when she didn't throw worms in his face. But that cuteness diminished as the colour drained from her face. She hurriedly apologized to him. Cluing him that she were a squire. He would not have guessed that when he first saw her, but seeing her get to her feet and how she stood at attention. It was quite obvious. He would have to tackle this professionally. Watching how worried she looked, the mischievous side of him showed itself. Despite ten years with the knights, that side of him still managed to survive. He did not know the knight she trained under, it wasn't uncommon, there were over five thousand of them, he couldn't possibly know them all. She looked genuinely sorry and frightened of his reaction. It would be cruel to play a trick on her. So ultimately, he decided against it, for now.

"Well, I certainly hope not. But relax, squire Raigner, if I was angry you would have known." He said with the same genuine pleasant smile as before. "I am Markus Andres, third wing yellow company of the first regiment silver quadron." Full rank and location. If she knew a little of where the different companies were located, she probably already had guessed his company and regiment. As they were tasked with guarding the harbour. Markus would attempt some more humour, maybe he had eased the squire enough that she were capable of laughter or if she were actually devoid of humour.

"Looking at what you have caught thus far, I seem to be the only one. Look on the bright side, if we go by weight, you have every other fisher here beat." He finished with a raised brow at the girl before his gaze turned sideways. Markus was still on duty and if Rhanan found him standing talking to an attractive girl, the knight would not hear the end of it. So he kept glancing occasionally up and down the harbour. People carrying goods back and forth from ships.
Last edited by Markus Andres on March 17th, 2014, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Letixia Raigner on March 16th, 2014, 1:12 am

Her shoulders noticeably relaxed at his kind words and demeanor. When he said his full title, she wasn't as surprised to know he was here. This was his patrol area after all. It seemed as if she weren't going to get in trouble for the worm incident, but he still hadn't dismissed her, let her be at ease. Then he spoke once more, and much to her own surprise, a loud, somewhat exasperated laugh escaped her lips, almost on the border of a guffaw. Realizing that she'd just broke demeanor in front of an officer, she quickly sobered up.

She couldn't just continue standing there in silence, though she would, if he forced her. Opting in for a risky decision, she knew that soon she'd likely either be continuing as she were, or receiving a due punishment. "If it weren't for that pin," indicating his rank pin, "I would've tossed you back." She grinned a bit, forcing it to be formal, hopefully to let him know that she was going along with his joking. Now it was time to just hold her position and wait for the inevitable to come, one way or another. If he took it badly, not only would he likely punish her, but report her to Ser Ranqor who would double it up. She just hoped that it wasn't laps around the city, she'd heard of squires having to do that, and it never ended well.

Letixia Raigner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Markus Andres on March 18th, 2014, 4:17 pm

There was more to this woman than just discipline. Honest to the gods humour and she seemed to enjoy his' tremendiously. A wide grin appeared on his lips as she laughed. It did stiffle a bit when her laughter stopped abruptly and once more looked sternly in his direction. Several moments passed before she spoke again. Surprising Markus with her own humour. The first impression of a stuck up squire had definitely been shattered to bits. Impressive. Her sassy reply made him chuckle. She had heart and spirit. Her retort was excellent, not serious enough that he was forced to take action, after all, she were being polite about it, but at the same time, not too tame that he might ignore her quip.

The squire managed to fuel the embers under the mischiveous smirk that cross his lips then. Duty or not, perhaps it was time for a bit of fun. Markus took a step closer to the smaller squire. It had been a while since he had allowed himself a little fun. Been even longer since it had been at the expense of someone else. She were a squire, she could handle it. Besides, he would make it up for her, put in a good word with ser Grayne, give her a couple of lessons in swordsplay and shield.

”So, those without pins gets thrown back in?” Markus asked innocently. ”Out of curiosity, squire Raigner, who of us is not wearing a pin?” Adding the formal name for the squire to sprinkle a little seriousness into the implied threat as he took another half step closer to the squire. Now towering well above her. He had still not said she could be at ease. Even if he did say so, she probably wouldn't be able to be at ease.

”I hear the water is cold this time of year.” The curious statement would hang there in the air.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Serendipity on April 1st, 2014, 9:27 am

Markus :
Skills

• Endurance: 1
  • Socialization: 3
  • Observation: 2

Lores

• Letixia: Squire
  • Worms: Wet and Slimy
  • Worms: Ok At a Distance

Loot

Notes :
It was a pleasure to read and I couldn't help but giggle here and there :P I wish I could have seen Letixia get shoved, too!

Serendipity
One of Sylira's Little Helpers

Words: 24125
Joined roleplay: March 10th, 2014, 9:29 pm
Race: Staff account
Office