A meeting of Vanthas

Adi and Palla meet.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Palla Frostfawn on March 9th, 2014, 6:07 pm

14th of Spring, 514 AV
9th Bell
OOCI have another thread scheduled for this day, I know, but Adi and I agreed that the thread will end after a couple of bells, around the 13th bell.
Palla felt a bit out of shape, as if her unarmed combat abilities were degrading. Although they probably weren't, Palla still felt like she should exersise. Although she went for a jog every day, she hadn't practiced combat in a while and felt like she should. Palla looked at her map to try to find her way to the Tuvya Sasaran. Palla petted her dogs, sad to leave them, but she knew she should probably brush up on her unarmed combat. After all, she needed to to become a citizen of Riverfall. I need to take my Kuvan test, but I'm so nervous! I can do combat with others pretty well, but when I'm under pressure, I can't perform properly. Palla petted her dogs one last time before leaving her condo.

Palla walked to the building, using her map to find it. She still needed her map to get almost everywhere, but for some reason felt she was getting more comfortable with Riverfall's layout. The city was huge, though, or at least to Palla, and she was still a bit overwhelmed, although not nearly as much as she was when age first entered the city. Palla took a wrong turn, almost getting lost, before she realized where she was and righted herself. Soon enough, Palla arrived at her destination, the Tuvya Sasaran.

She walked into the Tuvya Sasaran, looking around at Akalaks fighting, along with humans, Konti, and a handful of other races. Palla looked around for an instructor who she though to be suitable to teach her. Her eyes stopped at a Konti woman who was teaching a variety of races, a human girl, a few Konti, and a young Akalak. "Hello!" The woman greeted Palla warmly. The students that the instructor was teaching didn't seem that great at combat, but not too bad either. A few were below her skill level, a few were above, and one young Konti, about her age, Palla guessed, was seeming to be at her level.

Palla looked at the girl with slowly color changing eyes. The Konti looked at Palla in shock, eyes wide. Palla, noticing her fear, reassured her. "I-I'm a Vantha." Palla stammered in explanation."M-My eyes change colors with my mood." The Konti seemed to relax a bit, but still stole uneasy glances at Palla. Palla looked around at the other students being taught by this particular instructor, glancing at each one in turn as her now blue eyes deepened. Will the instructor match me up with her? Palla thought, referring to the girl that was uneasy about her eyes.
OOCTell me if you have a better thread title,please.
Last edited by Palla Frostfawn on March 29th, 2014, 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Words: 117768
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Adi Skyglow on March 17th, 2014, 6:24 pm

OOCAgain, I am so sorry about the delay.

In an attempt to get to know the city better, Adi found herself wandering the streets of Riverfall. She didn't have much going on that day.

It was a lack of any other means of self-defense that led Adi to the thought of actually entering the building. She'd broken her dagger and lost the use of her right arm in an accident that was really just her smashing a rock instead of a rabbit. And even though she was definitely capable of handling herself when fully healed, providing she had a dagger, at the moment she wasn't fully healed or even close to it. The long-haired Vantha needed to figure something out as a means of defense, preferably as fast as possible. So why not stop in the building that provided lessons in unarmed combat and other forms of using your body to attack someone?

She slipped inside the building which trained those in need of unarmed combat lessons and surveyed it briefly, a smirk dancing across her lips. Her next move was towards the group of people-mostly women, which was unusual for Riverfall. Feeling like she'd be more comfortable there, Adi went to stand by them. The hood of her cloak still covered her face and hair, preventing any of those standing near her from getting a glimpse of her heritage.

"I-I'm a Vantha. M-My eyes change colors with my mood." The words she heard shocked her, not expecting to meet another of her race. She looked up to the young woman next to her. The other Vantha looked slightly younger than her, and definitely somewhat upset. In an attempt to frighten the discriminatory Konti, Adi pulled back her hood and glared at the blonde-haired woman with fully orange eyes. "Do you have a problem with her?" Adi asked her, a livid expression on her face. "If you do, you've got a problem with me, with most of the residents of Avanthal, and with the goddess Morwen. I suggest you get over her eyes." The corners of her mouth lifted in a smirk as she stared down the woman, who looked away after a moment of this. And that takes care of that.

Words she wasn't expecting to say poured out of her mouth in her native language, Vani. "Nice to meet a fellow Vantha. I'm Adi Skyglow. What hold are you from?"
Last edited by Adi Skyglow on March 29th, 2014, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I owe you a post and haven't talked to you in a while, please don't be afraid to send me a PM.
Adi Skyglow
I never meant to wither.

Words: 111753
Joined roleplay: February 28th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Palla Frostfawn on March 20th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Palla watched as a young woman, or at least she thought it was as young woman, their features were covered with a cloak, walked into the building, letting a gust of fresh air in. Palla awkwardly waved at the newcomer, and turned back to her training. It turns out that the young Konti was of about the same skill level as her, so they were matched up to train. As she readied her stance, the girl walked up to them, hissing at the Konti. Palla noticed her striking orange eyes and long hair as she had lifted the hood of her cloak. "I-It's okay." Palla said gently to the other Vantha in Vani. "I-I would probably be a bit uneasy at first meeting s-someone with different traits, too." Palla switched back to common to talk to the Konti. "I-It's fine."

Palla smiled nervously at the Vantha, her name was Adi, she said, and spoke in her native language "I-I'm Palla, from the Frostfawn hold." Palla looked around at the group of mostly females, the only one in sight. "W-Would you like to join me? I-I think the instructor can teach one more." Meanwhile, the young Konti was looking a bit confused. "S-She probably wonders what we're saying." Palla laughed nervously and started to look away, to start practicing with the young Konti.

The Konti, meanwhile, was looking for a new training partner and soon found one. Palla, now deprived of someone to practice with, looked around the room. She stared at the wood walls, a rare thing in Riverfall, and looked back to the Vantha. “A-Actually, Adi… N-Now that she left, we can practice?” Palla was unsure of herself, and the statement she imagined it to be ended up seeming more like a question. “T-Together, I mean.” Palla looked at the girl. It was hard to tell if she was good at combat or not, so she added “O-Of course, I’m not that great at this. I-If you are, you’d better find someone better at this than me.” Palla didn’t want to seem like she was pushing the girl away, so she spoke once again “I-I would like to train with you, b-but beating me countless times wouldn’t be much of a workout.”

If the girl accepted her invitation, Palla would ready her stance, waiting for her to do the same. Palla looked a bit ashamed of herself, despite her strong stance. The young woman seemed so strong in her personality, the way she had told off the Konti. Palla, in contrast, was very nervous when socializing, and felt as if she had done something wrong when talking to others more often than not.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Adi Skyglow on March 30th, 2014, 2:33 am

Waving her left hand in the air, Adi dismissed the Konti woman who'd made racist comments about Vanthan eyes. "A tikita like her doesn't deserve to understand Vani, anyway." While scanning the room, she removed her cloak and backpack and dropped them by a wall of the training area. No need to burden herself unnecessarily when learning a new skill, she thought.

As a small smile graced her features, Adi nodded at the girl in front of her. Palla was her name. "I'd love to. I've got a feeling it's you who'll be winning, not me-unfortunately I've got no experience in any kind of combat that doesn't involve a dagger." The words were joined by a chuckle. The member of the Skyglow hold had a lot to learn from her new acquaintance. What was life as a Frostfawn even like? What did her hold even do worthy of display in Morwen's castle? She understood that the Frostfawn hold was devoted to animals and animal care, unlike hers-the Skyglow hold was one of artists and those who were good at creating things. Questions for the other Vantha buzzed through Adi's mind, though she restrained herself from asking them.

Her eyes transitioned from orange to bright pink as excitement filled her at the prospect of training with someone. Even though she wouldn't be able to use her main hand or her usual dagger, it would be a good learning experience-and hopefully Adi would have the opportunity to question the other woman.

Smile broadening to crack across her face, Adi assumed a stance similar to Palla's own, though she wobbled as she adjusted into an unfamiliar position. She left her right arm plastered to her side, but raised her left in front of her face. I have noo idea what I'm doing here.

If I owe you a post and haven't talked to you in a while, please don't be afraid to send me a PM.
Adi Skyglow
I never meant to wither.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Palla Frostfawn on April 20th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Palla was nervous, and her hands were shaking a bit. Calm down. Her hands stopped moving as Palla took a deep breath. She had practiced at the Tundra Training Station, thinking it would help her gain courage, but eventually stopped. She was pushed to join the ranks of the Icewatch, and that she could not do. She decided that she didn't have enough courage to, and stopped training soon after she started so she would not be urged to join the Icewatch. Palla felt she was so close to becoming a Kuvan, so close to being competent, and maybe this one training session would give her that final push she needed so she could apply.

Should I ask if she wants to train in her dagger? No, this is an unarmed combat facility, and besides, I need to practice. "A-Are you ready?" Palla looked at Adi. If the Vantha said yes, Palla would start.

Palla repeated what she had learned in her head. Stay in control, or at least act like it. Since Palla wasn't the stongest warrior, she should attack with her elbows and knees for the most damage. [i] I'll attack with my feet and hands instead, to inflict less damage, sinceshe said she doesn't have skill in this. Palla threw an awkward punch, careful to stay away from Adi's right arm, which was pinned to her side. "I-Is your arm okay?"

If Adi said her arm was okay, or said they could still fight regardless, Palla would kick Adi's legs, coming from the side and trying to knock her down. Standing on one leg, Palla almost lost her balance, but stood up and recovered fairly quickly. The kick was weak and inexperienced, so it was uncertain if Palla actually succeeded.

If Adi said her arm wasn't okay, Palla would stand there awkwardlh, wondering what to do now.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Adi Skyglow on May 12th, 2014, 3:58 pm

With an encouraging smile, Adi nodded at Palla. "Hit me with your best shot!" she replied in her native Vani, smile morphing into a smirk. Palla seemed a bit nervous about their upcoming fight, and even though it was just for practice, Adi was too. She had no skill in unarmed combat of any kind. Her only proficiency with a weapon was with a dagger, and that was a completely different animal than a punch or a kick was.

When Palla threw a weak punch her way, all the while concerned about the Skyglow's arm, then Adi felt better about her chances. Palla's empathy would hurt her here.

"My arm? It's not in perfect shape, but it's fine. I'd appreciate it if you'd avoid hitting it, though," replied Adi to the Frostfawn woman's query with a small smile.

Palla's next move surprised Adi, though-she hadn't been expecting the woman to kick her. The kick caught her off guard, and aimed at her legs as it was, succeeded in knocking her off balance. Adi stumbled on one leg and wheeled her left arm around in the air, trying to regain her sense of balance. That act of clumsiness cost her almost half a chime.

When Adi was done flailing, she kicked her leg out, still in the air, towards Palla's torso. Her own kick was weak and aimed poorly, heading more in the direction of the other Vantha's arm than her chest.

Adi Skyglow
I never meant to wither.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Palla Frostfawn on May 17th, 2014, 7:50 pm

When Adi told Palla to hit her with her best shot, Palla wondered if she should or not. She wasn’t capable of doing much harm, but Adi could do even less without her dagger. Her smile turned into a smirk, and Palla decided that hitting her with her best shot couldn’t do much harm… Could it?

On second thought, maybe I won’t hit her with all I have…When Adi was flailing, Palla let her be, because she wasn’t well suited for combat with Adi. Palla was afraid that if she sent a punch or kick the wrong way, Adi could hurt her arm further. While she had just met Adi, she didn’t want to hurt her. She seemed nice enough, and was also a Vantha.

Adi’s kick wasn’t aimed well enough to hit Palla full on, but Palla didn’t see it coming and it hit her arm, which didn’t really deter Palla, as the kick was not strong enough to hurt. Palla moved to the left a bit and readied to throw the next blow. That is, if Adi hadn’t already.

Palla leaned in a bit and threw a punch towards Adi’s torso. It was aimed correctly, but was rather weak, and if Adi didn’t dodge, would hurt a tiny bit for about a tick.

“S-So, how are you, Adi?” Palla, this isn’t the place for small talk. You are in combat with someone! Palla yelled at herself.

Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A meeting of Vanthas

Postby Adi Skyglow on July 6th, 2014, 3:54 pm

The Skyglow found herself pleased-though her kick was poorly aimed and very weak, it had at least connected with Palla's arm. With practice, Adi knew she'd get better at fighting with her hands and feet. This was something she definitely wanted to do-if she could learn two styles of fighting, then she'd never need a dagger to feel safe.

Palla's fist connected with her torso, shocking Adi briefly. It stung, but wouldn't hurt intensely and hopefully wouldn't leave a bruise, though the Vantha woman wasn't quite sure if it would or wouldn't. With a slight huff, Adi righted herself and tried something she'd once attempted when she'd first learned how to use the dagger. It hadn't succeeded then, but she'd been clumsy and inexperienced.

The Skyglow woman lunged towards Palla's left as if she was going to punch her, but turned away at the last tick and thrust her clenched fist out towards Palla's right side. The way her arm was travelling, it was more likely she'd catch Palla between her arm and her torso unless she moved out of the way. Though the punch was off, Adi put as much strength as she felt safe into the force of her left fist-this was a punch likely to sting for a few chimes at the very least if it made direct contact. Big if, though.

Adi huffed out a laugh. "Doing fine. It feels good to fight, and my arm's fine, so. You alright?" She interpreted Palla's question as concern about her arm, and appreciated it greatly-it was nice for her to be concerned about a person she'd only just met, though Adi supposed they did share heritage. After this fight, the Skyglow woman wanted to talk with Palla. She was curious to see how the Frostfawn had ended up in Riverfall.

Adi's Thoughts. - "Common." - "Vani." - "PC/NPC Common."

Adi Skyglow
I never meant to wither.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes