Get Down with the Sickness (Self Mod, Finished)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Fenilen on September 12th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Secret :
Don't rush to grade this, Dreamcatcher. Only do it if you have little to nothing else to grade. It's main purpose was to further his character development, and if I even do get experience for it, I don't expect it to be more than one XP... in something entirely obscure. O_o

3rd of Fall, 510 AV

A hacking cough flew from Fenilen's lips. He was curled into a ball, hands gripping his stomach as pain coursed through his abdomen. Tears welled at the corners of his eyes, a few already on the ground. Anyone could see that he was in pain. Sweat ran in rivers along his entire body. He coughed constantly, convulsing with each cough, spittle flying from his lips.

He was a sorry sight, laying on the ground like this. He had been sick for almost five days now. It had started simply, with a cough and a sore throat. The next day, it was a fever. Then, it turned into a massive pain in his abdomen, along with diarrhea. The pain and coughing had only gotten worse since then, to the point where all he could do was lie on the ground and cringe in pain.

Elheld sat in the corner of the room, a frown on his face as he watched his nephew wither away like this. Slowly, quietly, he approached, kneeling down on the opposite side of Fenilen. He scooped water up in a ladle, bringing it to Fenilen's lips, watching as he drank it down greedily, just as much water landing on him as in his mouth. He repeated this several times, eventually switching to a bland soup, the only nourishment he could bring himself to eat.

A reassuring hand found itself to Fenilen's shoulder. "You'll be all right, Fenilen. I'm seeing improvement," Elheld said comfortingly, a smile playing across his lips.

A fake smile, Fenilen knew. Fenilen just frowned. "All I can do now is hold on to hope, and pray to Priskil," he muttered weakly, looking Elheld in the eyes. "I'll pray to her to help me through this, so that I can continue my work," he then explained, closing his eyes.

Elheld sighed deeply, rubbing his shoulder comfortingly before returning to his seat.
Last edited by Fenilen on September 12th, 2010, 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Words: 144782
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2010, 3:04 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Get Down with the Sickness (Self Mod)

Postby Fenilen on September 12th, 2010, 9:03 pm

4th of Fall, 510 AV

"Fenilen, I have good news," Elheld announced as he entered, kneeling down next to Fenilen. Fenilen's skin was a deathly pale, and he only weakly opened his eyes to look up at Elheld.

"I found someone who is trained in medicines and herbalism. With any luck, she can help you. She'll be here in abo-" he heard footsteps, and turned to see a fiery-haired woman in the doorway, her head tilted curiously as she examined Fenilen from across the room.

"Ah, there she is!" Elheld announced, rising to his feet, a please spring in his step. "Fenilen, this is Alria, the woman I just mentioned. Alria, this is Fenilen, my nephew," Elheld spoke quickly, returning to his side. "He fell ill six nights ago, starting with only a cough and a sore throat, but it progressed into... this. It has shown no signs of relenting since," he explained. Alria nodded, rolling Fenilen onto his back, examining him with a critical eye.

"He is very sick, although I am sure you were certain of this much," Alria muttered.

"Priskil will see me through, if she deems it fit," was all Fenilen muttered, his eyes meeting hers weakly. "If she does not, then I will perish, and so shall it end," his speech was almost deluded, and his eyes rolled into the back of his head after this. Alria pursed his lips, opening her satchel.

"I have some herbs that I can grind into a paste to deal with the coughing. Mix it with some water, and it should rid him of that ailment, at least. I can also give him a few things to just generally help his system deal with the sickness, but I can't do much more than that. I am sorry," Alria said, frowning. Elheld nodded understandingly.

"Just do whatever you can, please," Elheld said pleadingly. "He is more important to me than anyone could ever know," he returned to his seat in the corner, leaving the herbalist to do her work.

When she finished, she left the paste next to the water. Elheld gave her the payment they had agreed upon-- an earring and two glass cups of surprisingly good quality-- and she departed.

Fenilen eventually awoke, and was given the concoctions, returning to a deep sleep almost immediately after. Elheld stayed with him through the night.
Last edited by Fenilen on January 20th, 2011, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fenilen on September 12th, 2010, 10:30 pm

5th of Fall, 510 AV

Fenilen opened his eyes with noticeably less strain than he had the days before. He scanned the room, seeing Elheld asleep in the corner. He was noticeably less fatigued, able to move his arms and legs again, and crane his neck. His throat had stopped hurting, and only just now did he notice he wasn't coughing. However, his abdomen still felt awful, and he found out from the sudden feeling that he also still had his diarrhea.

After relieving himself, he sat up against the wall. Was this a sign from Priskil? What was it supposed to mean? After a whole week, at points he had wondered if he were to survive, he was finally beginning to feel better. He couldn't put his finger on why, though. He saw Elheld moving out of the corner of his eye, and turned his head to see him.

Elheld shot up in surprise at seeing Fenilen in a position other than on the ground in pain.

"Fenilen! You're looking much bloody better, if I do say so myself," Elheld announced joyously. "I guess whatever Alria gave you is helping, and much faster than I thought it would, at that," he then said, grinning like a child.

Ah, so an herbalist had helped him. Then what had the visions meant? He had seen her in the crowds in his dreams, emitting light like a beacon, emitting hope like he had never felt before...

She must have sent the Herbalist. That was the only thing he could come up with. A satisfied smile crossed Fenilen's face.

------

Sixth of Fall, 510 AV

The symptoms were gone entirely by noon the next day, and Fenilen returned to work, convinced that he had made it through this ordeal because Priskil had wanted him too. Little did he know, this would change his life in ways he could hardly imagine...
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dreamcatcher on September 30th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Character: Fenilen

Experience: +1 Medicine
Lore: Steeping a Medical Tea

Additional Note: Hmmmm, figure with a 1 you should be able to steep a tea and take care of someone bed ridden. And of course, if you feel that I missed something please PM me with the details on what I missed and I will review it.
Dreamcatcher
Retired Staff

Words: 120506
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2010, 4:27 pm
Race: Staff account
Office