Flashback Journey To A New Home [Yuri]

Reven recounts her journey to Riverfall and the unexpected friend she made.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Journey To A New Home [Yuri]

Postby Reven Heath on March 20th, 2014, 1:17 am

Day 89th of Summer, 512 A.V.

A young girl appearing in her teens, just around the age of thirteen winters, sat perched atop a barrel overlooking the sea with hazel eyes. Her clothes looked odd, that of a boy's and hung off her form, too big and unfitted for such a tiny girl. Her brown locks were shoulder length while thin strands of it danced around her face, eyes looking unnaturally still. Her entire being was unnatural because during those months on the ship, she had grown, shifting from the appearance of a little girl to a teenager. To think she was nearly ten months old. The crew had noticed, there was no luck in hiding it and so, the girl decided to sit out on the dock today, instead of being crammed in the cabin with her caretaker. She was as sick or her studies as she was of the sea...

It was a clear day out, the seas were calm, reflecting the blue sky and golden sun as the ship sailed pleasantly in the light breeze. Off in the distance was a small spot of land, it appeared as a speck on the horizon but still quiet noticeable. They would be in Riverfall by the end of the night, if not tomorrow. However, to the left of that dot of land, there were bellowing clouds, indicating a storm approaching. The girl wondered if they would reach land before it hit. The last storm spurred giant waves that nearly sank the ship.

“Reven!”

Hazel eyes turned, gazing upon the sight of her caretaker, Mutaldi, as the old woman approached her with a book. “What have I told you about sneaking onto the deck when no one is around? What if you fall into the water? How are we to know?” She sighed, settling next to the Kelvic. “Though, I don't blame you, m'dear. It is a pretty day out.”

It was then she felt the soft stroke of the woman's hand over her head. Reven didn't mind it and actually leaned toward it, wanting a motherly relationship from the woman. But Mutaldi would have none of it. Her hand pulled away quite abruptly but the feline was use to it. Her caretaker was simply that: taking care of her. “The cabin smells today. I think someone threw up last night...” The cougar smelled strange scents last night while trying to sleep in her feline form.

“Well they were being plentiful with the Ale last night.” Mutaldi muttered, a smile touching her lips. “But some people just can't handle the sea.”

“I hate it...”

Reven heard the woman scoff. “Please, Reven. It's not that bad. Once we get to Riverfall, you'll understand it was worth the trouble. Why, there's men of all kind there, just waiting—“

And there she went, off on a ramble about suitors, marriage, and something about a bondmate. Reven never liked talking about those kind of things. She would rather scurry the streets, or the woods, looking for hiding places and things hiding in those places. It was one of the reasons she had such a bad reputation with the crew on this ship. Reven liked to adventure, but most of the time, those adventures ended in her getting stuck in things, or almost having a limb removed, or accidentally giving someone a concussion or an injury.

Her curiosity for the world prevented her from any kind of friends. Not only that, but being what she was kept people at a distance.

Mutaldi was still vomiting words of marriage to the young girl when she pointedly hopped from the barrel and walked away from her.

“Young lady, where do you think you're going? You need to study!” Mutaldi called.

“You're not my mother!” Reven returned.

That silenced the woman. She could not retort to such a comment because it was a fact and a thing Mutaldi reminded her of daily. Hearing the woman sigh, Reven continued on her journey to the other side of the ship, looking for another adventure.
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Words: 213556
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 2:26 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Yuri Lehrer on March 21st, 2014, 12:50 am

Yuri had been on this ship for a few weeks now, performing his duties as a 'guard' for the convoy... which detailed him checking up on the supplies to make sure nothing had been stolen, helping around the ship in some areas he had a little knowledge, repelling any pirates which attacked and dealing with any unruly crew members, mostly by talking to them, but sometimes having to resort to violence or intimidation, which he disliked, but overall the journey had been a peaceful one.

At present, however, Yuri was taking a break from the hustle and bustle of ship life and was towards the middle of the deck calmly looking off the Starboard side of the ship enjoying the peace and tranquillity of the short time he had to relax, breathing deeply, thinking to himself I wonder how long until we reach port? and even said a prayer to Dira, before it was shattered by the sound of a commotion, not terribly far from Yuri, and because he was on break, yet ever on duty, Yuri decided to check out what was going on. Stretching his arms above his head and slowly turning away from the relaxing scene in front of him, Yuri had a slightly relaxed look on his face as well, so much so he was surprised when he accidentally walked into someone.

Shock immediately painted itself on Yuri's features as he hadn't heard the person approach, and he took a step back immediately talking without thinking, a slightly panicked tone on his voice "I-I'm sorry about that, I didn't hear you approach..." Trailing off when he realised who he was talking to. The girl who had apparently grown in appearance from young girl to teenager over the course of the voyage. Yuri continued speaking, albeit more formally, after this realisation "Pardon me ma'am, I am sorry for walking into you just now, but I was on my way to 'investigate' a disturbance I just heard, to see if I could help resolve it."

All thanks to Assilsa Curare for the signature.

Replied Owed 1/1 | Threads 1/5 (3) | Threads Planned: 1 | Threads Awaiting Grading: 0

Threads that need replies: 1/1 (1)
Death to Death
Yuri Lehrer
The Honourable Mercenary

Words: 118678
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2013, 4:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Reven Heath on March 22nd, 2014, 4:09 am

Reven hadn't ventured a few ticks from her Caretaker when a man approached her, arms held up over his head and looking relaxed. The Kelvic figured he'd see her as much as she saw him but apparently not for the two knocked into each other, however, Reven was the one who toppled back to the ground. She landed on her butt, hands sliding against the wood deck, splinters digging into her palms as she hissed. Hazel eyes moved up to the man, glaring openly. How could he not see her, was he blind?

Recognition showed on his features after a moment as he apologized and began to explain himself to her. The glare in her eyes faded and took on more of a curious, if not slight annoyed expression. Was he explaining himself to a little girl? The commotion he was referring to could have been Reven and Mutaldi's short banter but the cougar was not up for telling the man. He didn't need to know her business.

Standing to her feet quickly, a blush fell onto her complexion. “Hey, didn't you see me? You're not the only one walking around here..!” She huffed. If it wasn't obvious then, it was now that she was the source of the commotion. “Ow...” Reven looked down at her hands. On her left palm, dug into her flesh quite noticeably, was a thick splinter. It caused blood to trickle from the small wound.

The feline was in a foul mood then... Firstly, she was stuck on this ship still, after three gruesome months, secondly, Mutaldi had to go yapping about marriage to her yet again. As if it wasn't becoming apart of their daily routine... And thirdly, now she had received a wound from an airhead who was, more than likely, about to rebuff with a snarky comment aimed at her for Reven's rude behavior. Sadly, the Kelvic was use to it. Zeltiva was a nice, quite place but it was hard to get on the good side of starving people when she looked like the perfect meal.

Eyes snapping back to his, her gaze was menacing, loathing the stranger for inflicting pain upon her. Reven was already going through enough with rigorous studies and the growth spurts the girl was experiencing. Being Kelvic had its disadvantages, especially since she was aging quickly, her body felt like it was slowly being stretched, as is tied by her arms and legs and left to the horses to pull apart. They were excruciating and there was never enough alcohol to numb the pain away. And here this man was, inflicting upon her a wound she did not deserve. Reven was standing 5'5” at this time, normal height by some standard, and obviously noticeable.

It gave her more reason to aim her anger upon the man. The Kelvic had to be careful, however, since she had met this man in the past. He was some kind of bystander compared to the rest of the crew and passengers. Reven remembers seeing him break up a few fights along the way and knew he was physically fit for some kind of combat since she had watched him practice occasionally. The ship was a decent size but they had been at sea for well over three months already, a season had past. The Kelvic could probably name most of the crew by that point, if not all.

She didn't know this man's name, unfortunately. “That hurt..!” Reven accused, holding her hand out. “Look what you've done, now what am I suppose to do? Ugh! Now Mutaldi is going to think I got into something an scold me again, just what I needed on a day like this!”

Her adolescence behavior was quite obvious as she went on, in a fit about the splinter and blood on her hands, angry about the talk with Mutaldi and being on the ship.
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Yuri Lehrer on March 24th, 2014, 4:01 am

The girl Yuri had knocked over got up quickly with a curious, yet annoyed look on her face, as well as a blush to accompany it. She then proceeded to speak in a huff “Hey, didn't you see me? You're not the only one walking around here..!” To Yuri, he was uncertain how to take this new situation, but the one thing he was sure of was that she and possibly another individual had been the source of the commotion, he was drawn back to the moment when the girl looked down to her left hand, which was bleeding due to a thick splinter, she simple said "Ow..." To accompany this obviously painful injury.

Shortly after Yuri had attempted to see the injury, with little success, the girl held her hand out to Yuri and in an agitated tone said "That hurt...! Look what you've done, now what am I suppose to do? Ugh! Now Mutaldi is going to think I got into something an scold me again, just what I needed on a day like this!” Yuri had an apologetic look on his face when he saw her wound and promptly did what he thought best for the situation, he apologised, bowing a little as he did so "I'm so very sorry madam, it was my fault for not paying attention, and now because of my carelessness, you have been injured, I apologise once more for walking into, and causing you an injury. I do hope you can forgive me."

Raising himself out of his bow, Yuri proceeded to observe the girl's injury, it appeared to have a rather large splinter in it, which would have to be removed before the wound could heal properly, he then asked the girl "That splinter will have to be removed before the wound can be bandaged, would you mind if I removed it? My name is Yuri by the way, what's yours?" As he said this, Yuri looked at the splinter cautiously, as though it were a particularly dangerous item, he also looked to his hands to make sure that they weren't too dirty, just in case she should happen to want him to remove the splinter.

Last edited by Yuri Lehrer on March 26th, 2014, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
All thanks to Assilsa Curare for the signature.

Replied Owed 1/1 | Threads 1/5 (3) | Threads Planned: 1 | Threads Awaiting Grading: 0

Threads that need replies: 1/1 (1)
Death to Death
Yuri Lehrer
The Honourable Mercenary

Words: 118678
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2013, 4:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Reven Heath on March 25th, 2014, 12:25 am

His apology shut her up completely. Reven had never been address so kindly or so formally and so, was shocked when he bowed his head to her, apologizing with haste. It was rather odd, did he not know who she was? Well, sure he did. He had seen her on the ship at some point on the voyage and Reven was sure she had seen him breaking up fights that started because of her troublesome nature. The Kelvic thought he was mocking her at first but as he stood up from the slight bow he gave her, the cougar could only see sincerity in his eyes. He was sorry for her injury.

How kind of him, most of the crew was probably tempted to throw her overboard by now not only for her unusual nature but for the chaos she caused as well. That's why Mutaldi never wanted her out of sight. The Kelvic could tell her caretaker feared the same fate for Reven. However this person before her stood with curious eyes looking down at her wound. The feline understood that gaze, youthful, ambitious, full of adventure for the years to come. He was much like her in a way and for this, the Kelvic felt guilty for going off on him in such a rude manner.

“I'm... Sorry too.” She mumbled, “I thought you did that on purpose.”

Such a small bundle of words but that sentence spoke louder than anything Reven could say, if one analyzed it further. It meant that she was often picked on, bullied even, and that she looked at the world as a place of hardship, every step, every action, every opportunity at life was another challenge and/or reason to prove herself. The world was a place that she had to make a home of, no matter what, otherwise the burden of life would be too great for her and she would find herself back within Dira's arms before she chanced upon success.

These thoughts she kept hidden away. It was silent insanity that softly lingered in the back of her mind. The feline didn't know when it was born into her thoughts, maybe it had always been there, but the hollow emptiness she felt did not promote its absences. Dark thoughts were puller closer to her on weary nights, sometimes driving her into slumber after quite a number of tears stained her cheeks.

Reven held her hand out to the young man, blood now sliding down her wrist. If he wanted to help her, now was the time he should act. The Kelvic didn't know how to address such feelings as guilt, only that she needed to move past them and that's what she did. “My name's Reven. Reven Heath.” Came her youthful voice. “Mutaldi said my last name was from my father but I don't know who he is. Have you ever met a Mister Heath?” Waiting for his answer, the feline would shrug. “I hope I can meet him someday. Mutaldi is taking care of me right now, she said my parents disappeared a little while ago. Sometimes I get the feeling she's lying though...” Watching him, Reven waited for him to work away at the splinted embedded into her flesh.

“I'm sorry about the way I acted. Not most people like me, they say I cause too much trouble. Are you troublesome Yuri?” She tilted her head, hazel eyes inspecting his. Even though she looked like a teenager, her mentality was still slowly catching up to her. “Do you travel a lot? You seem like you do. I don't... Especially when it comes to boat ride. Mutaldi said the sea meant freedom but I think it's a trap. I mean, where are you suppose to go?.. Do you know what freedom is Yuri? Sometimes I think I know what it means but other times, I don't. At least I don't think so. I always thought freedom was living by what your heart tells you, but sometimes my heart tells me sad things and they aren't very freeing. When I read the stories Mutaldi gives me, they always talk of freedom through war and earning it after a lot of people are dead. Is that really freedom, Yuri? Is it something you earn after killing someone?”

She was a curious cougar, talkative, and looking for conversation or some kind of friendship. It had been a while since she had a conversation with anyone but Mutaldi and the older woman didn't like to discuss most topics the Kelvic wanted to know. Other than marriage. Reven hoped Yuri would engage in conversation with her, the feline yearned for some kind of connection to an individual. She just didn't understand what.
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes