Completed [Training Grounds] To Kill a Straw Dummy

Trying to kill a straw dummy named bill has never been so frustraing.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Training Grounds] To Kill a Straw Dummy

Postby Kreig Messer on March 21st, 2014, 8:24 pm

Spring 514 AV, 8th Day 9th bell 7th chime

Kreig looked down the sight of his Crossbow, the simple iron piece seemed like a window a different world in a away, like a god he could decided the lives of one person with a single press of the lever....but the truth of the fact he was still very much a bad shot with the weapon ever since he devoloped that annoying 'twitch' as everyone seems to delight in calling it. The target 20 yards before him was a straw dummy he came to calling Bill. Bill was an alright dummy, inanimate and thus not much of a coversationlist, he didn't seem to mind being shot at by the Brawler. Now, one could argue that because its inanimate it really didn't have the choice to mind or not, but Kreig like to think that due to him constantly missing his shots currently that it was simply relaxing without a care it world

He sighed as he yet again began the processing of prepping his light crossbow. It's become a well-practiced procedure by now as he methodically and quickly lowered himself after placing his foot within the stirrup, grabbed the bow string, pulled and as he pulled it back he rolled to nut back, fixing itself with a click and finally as he let of the string, it latched to the nut and was stuck to place. He had done it some many times that he imagined he'd be well off for a season or so if someone gave him a bronze rimmed Miza for each time he had done so.

" I see you still have trouble with your shooting, kreig " Came the voice of Kreig's patron, Kreig turned to look at Natasha and gave her an awkward grin, a confirmation that he was indeed doing horribly. At 10 to 20 he shouldn't really need focus his aim really, at least not by much..... He could see Bill quite clearly and was confident that he could handle this distance. However, ever since the day of the 'itch' his aim has been shoddy, the only real time he gained it was when he held his breath and mistimed releasing it as he pressed the lever. Yet somehow its effects were long lasting, somehow it embedded itself into his mind that if he couldn't shoot long distance then couldn't shoot close distance.

Natasha simply sighed, in her hand were two blunt longswords, one for her and one for Kreig. However it seemed she had to wait till Kreig was done with his fixation. In truth they didn't even need to focus on the sword today, other aspects needed much more focus really but one shouldn't let their skills dull simply because they achieved their goal with it. For now, she settled with simply observing her squire as he loaded a bolt onto the grove of the bow, watching him aim down the sight as he sat on one knee. From her persepctive, he was taking too long to shoot at a target that was a simple walking distance away; such length would have him killed in an actual battle and thus a wasted effort. When Kreig pulled the lever of his weapon, the string launched the bolt forward through the air and like so many of Kreig's bolts that lay on the grass behind BIll, missed and found a nice comfortable spot to land on.

Natasha sighed again as she approached her old man of a Squire, thwacked the back of his head with the flat of one the blunt longswords she was carrying. Kreig muttered a small ow as he lifted his head and looked at his patron with a slightly annoyed expression " Kreig, must you take so long for one simple shot at such a simple distance? There simply is no need for you to take so long as you should be better than this"

Kreig looked down and muttered some incoherrent words, then looked up at his patron with a look that seemed as if he was a child who had just been scolded "I'm sorry Sera, I truly don't know why this has become difficult for me....for some reason now, whenever I aim I can't seem to hit the target" He sounded quite disappointed in himself as he looked down at his crossbow "I keep going back to the basics, but the basics don't seem to stick..."

Natasha nodded, in truth, Kreig's stances were practiced but the fact that he seemed to devolop some tic has been slowng his progress severly. She sighed as she lightly bonked him again yet even softer this time and said " Well I'm rather certain that you aren't facing another life crisis currently Kreig, I'm afraid that it is something that simply takes time and effort to overcome and you doubting yourself is doing more harm than good." Kreig nodded yet still looked sullen, honestly sometimes she couldn't believe he near her in age whenever he acted like a scolded child who had his cookie taken away from him.

" Listen Kreig, try it again. This time I will sit with you and watch you the entire time, giving you support. I know you can do it and I know you can overcome whatever it is that seems to be bogging you down currently" Kreig lightly nodded, but was unsure whether to feel appreciation for that as he thought he might embarass himself in front of his patron. She usually trusted him to keep up with his marksman practice and he had been delligent with it, but to embarass himself even further in front of her made him feel very uncomfortable.

Still, orders were orders and Kreig stood up on two legs again, lower himself as pushed his foot through the stirrup and began once more the tedious process of prepping his crossbow. With practiced ease he finished it perhaps in less than half a chime and lifted the weapon to his shoulders, grabbed another bolt and placed into the groove and aimed at Bill once more

' I'll murder you yet, bill' He declared silently to himsef, aiming down at the straw target with a bit of determination in his eyes 'just you wait'

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on March 21st, 2014, 10:22 pm

He pressed the lever of his light crossbow and let the bolt fly, it missed the BIll oncemore but it was closer this time. All his previous shots had missed by a wider marging and this shot was at least a bit closer. It was a small improvement, but it was an improvement. Natasha noted that he still took a bit of time as he aimed, again at this distance to take such a time to aim was hazardous, at closer distances it would have a simple point and shoot. At this distance, it should have been a simple pull of the lever as soon as he looked down the sight.

" Kreig, your taking too long again. I advise you shoot as soon as you aim" Kreig nodded, he doesn't mean to take so much time but he would try to lessen the time it took him. He sighed, begining the almost ritualistic task of prepping the bow once again, he was so sick of it that he wished there was a more interesting way to pull the string....or at least a less time consuming method perhaps. Still, no point in complaining of such things so he simply placed another bolt onto the groove and aimed at Bill, taking his patron's words into account, he quickply pressed the trigged as soon as he had Bill at the center of his sights. The bolt flew through the air and barely, just barely, missed Bill. Even though it was a miss, Kreig was elated that it at least flew so close to the target.

" Very good Kreig, you're doing much better now....now please pick up all the bolts, your quiver is quite bare"Kreig sighed at that, he was still delighted, but the act of gathering the bolts felt like it would mess up his rythm. He stared down Bill as he approached, practically threatening the dummy with his stare before starting to gather the bolts that lay about the ground,

After the passing of a chime or so, he walked 20 yards away from Bill and resumed his training. He prepped the crossbow, placed a bolt and aimed down the sight. As soon as Bill was again at the center of his sight he fired the bolt, again it missed but it was still quite close and for Kreig that was far better than the majority of his previous shots. Sera Natasha noted as she watched Kreig, that his arms shook as he aimed down his weapon. It was no surprise really, nor was it something that she need mention, in the end all it took was even more training to get it down. As long as he continued to be diligent with his training then eventually it would pay off and his arms would shake very little, thus becoming more accurate.

It was surprising really how he had not noticed this simple flaw, as his arms shook so would his aim, thus he was more likely to miss. Only by constant practice could he stamp that out as eventually his arms would grow more still. But she was repeating her thoughts now, so again she simply watched her squire. He eyes scanned him for any more flaws but for the most part Kreig seemed to know what he was doing.

She also believed that his fear of failing in front of her in combination with her own support gave him the confidence needed to improve, it was surprsing how ones state of mind would reflect in their training. She smiled at herself for that, glad that her squire was improving and thanked Yahal for her decision.

Kreig soon fired another bolt, again it missed but the Brawler was not discouraged as he prepared the crossbow again and placed another bolt onto the groove. Aimed down again and quickly fired off another bolt.... And this time, this time it had struck Bill square in the chest. Kreig couldn't help but let out a smile, his body shook and then suddenly he jumped about as he raised his crossbow in the air "Finally! Finally I killed Bill!" He exclaimed as he laughed, he didn't care if it was likely dumb luck that aided him in hitting his target, he had finally hit it and that was all that matter to him.

Natasha gave a concerned smile to her squire, wondering who this BIll was but decided to ignore that fact for now as she Kreig jump about. He truly was a child in his own way but supposed that was what made him likeable in his own way. There was still a long ways to go, but at the very least it ended on a happy note.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Radiant on April 10th, 2014, 9:01 am

Kreig :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Weapon: Crossbow +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Crossbow: Do Not Aim For Too Long
Crossbow: Controlling Weapon Sway

Loots
+2 Shield Point

Notes :
Short, but sweet training thread, Kreig! :D Enjoy your grades!

Also I noticed the movie reference. :P

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)