Closed Taking The First Step

Reven meets Grace as they both explore the Fringe Forest while getting to know each other.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Taking The First Step

Postby Reven Heath on March 23rd, 2014, 3:32 am

Day 31st of Spring, 514 AV

It had been another one of those days... Dreary, gray, all around weather that brought a kind of gloom to the atmosphere no one could escape from. Reven realized this venturing out into the early morning air, making her usual rounds around the Sanctuary to cover its security. It had been raining then, wetting her fur, causing her to smell like a wet dog when she returned back to the suite she shared with her bondmate.

It had been another one of those mornings where she wanted to do nothing but stayed curled to his side, basking in the pleasant warmth through not only his being but the bond as well. The two had not been bonded long but already, they were inseparable. Reven would have liked nothing more than to keep him locked in his room, away from the dangers of the world and on a level, she felt he hinted at that desire as well, but the two knew that could not happen.

The cougar found herself wrapped in furs come mid morning. Reven didn't feel compelled to return to the world of the living and instead, wanted to remain in the dark shadows of her mate's room even though he already left for his daily chores. Depression. That's what she felt. It was the emotion that loomed over her without fully presenting itself yet the Kelvic never knew. Constantly, the argument between her and Mutaldi, he caretaker, repeated over in her mind, pulling her into a sea of dark thoughts that threatened to drown her. Reven tried desperately to curb these thoughts with sleep but even that was now proving difficult.

With a sigh, she slid out of the furs and took time clothing herself. She would find something to do today, whether it was chores or some form of hunting. Dressing in her cotton pants and leather jacket, Reven grabbed her backpack, quiver with arrows, and short bow before venturing out of Vanator's room. Moving out of the Within and to the above facility, the feline went first to the Kitchen to find the other Kelvic cat, Cadra. Her orange, red hair fluttered about her shoulders as she went away cooking food.

Reven paused, waiting for Cadra to become aware of her presence. When the girl's youthful gaze fell onto the cougar's, Reven smiled.

“Reven!” Cadra returned with her own lips curved up in greeting. “Good morning, how did you sleep?”

“Um... Well. It helps having your...” She paused before finishing her sentence. “It helps having Van there. I was wondering if you've seen your brother.”

“Larik? I think he went out with Kavala, but I'm not too sure.” Cadra seemed unfazed. “Why, are you going hunting?”

Nodding, Reven reached for a piece of fruit that sat in a wooden bowl. It was an apple and with glee, the Kelvic bit into it before speaking. “I might just go out alone then. Not sure if I feel like waiting for him.”

Cadra shook her head. “I don't think it's safe to go out by yourself, maybe you should ask Van.”

Reven waved her away, leaving the Kitchen with haste. “Thank you Cadra, I'll be back.” The cougar called behind her, hearing the young girl huff. It made the Kelvic chuckle...

And so, she pushed her legs toward the horse gates, waving to Aweston as he peered out at her over a horse he was grooming. Reven hated those animals... always so fidgety around her and gave her more grief than stability or fun. Maybe on this dreary day, however, she would find some entertainment in the Fringe Forest. The bond beckoned for her to stay but the Kelvic wanted some freedom away from this place and need more practice with her bow.
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Words: 213556
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 2:26 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Grace Lechar on March 24th, 2014, 12:50 am

Grace ran her hand down the Stallion's hind leg. He had something stuck in his hoof and refused to let Grace get it out. As she cupped the Stallion's fetlock, his foot swung out backwards, yanking it out of her grasp. She hopped back, not wanting the hoof to hit her. She arched her fingers and rubbed the horse's hindquarters, feeling his muscles start to relax.

"Calm down boy, I ain't gonna hurt ya. I just want to get whatever is in here out, 'kay?" She smoothed her hand down his hind leg, resting on the fetlock again. This time she swiped the hoof up before he could yank it away, straddling his leg in between hers. It wasn't a very smart move, and the beast was way stronger than her, but she had his foot in a position which he couldn't move around as much as he'd like. Yes it was uncomfortable for him, but she needed to get the rock out of his hoof before he got infected. Grace yanked her dagger out, using the blunt end of the blade to carefully wedge whatever was in his hoof out. A rather large rock fell into the bedding in his stall, and Grace let the hoof go. Again she backed out of the beast's way before he could do any real damage. Grace grinned, wiping her dagger on her pants before slipping it back into her belt. "There ya go! That's gotta feel so much better!"

Grace propped her hand on her hips to look at the horse for a minute, but her eyes widened as the Stallion turned on her. Her hip popped as she scrambled to get out of his stall, she slammed the gate shut as the horse's head came out, ears back and teeth bared. Grace's heart picked up speed but she snorted at the horse herself. She brought her fist up, catching the horse in the muzzle. She scratched the bony part of her knuckle on his whiskers, making him pull his head back. The move wouldn't hur the horse terribly, but it was uncomfortable enough to keep him from messing with her again. "You'll be thankin' me later."

Grace turned to grab her bucket that held her grooming tools and headed back to the tack room. She was done for a bit now. She had put the mare's out in the pasture and with the other grooms' help cleaned the mare's stalls and groomed the stallions. Until two bells after noon, there was nothing she needed to do. Around this time Grace would usually visit the foals, she wanted to work with them, but she wasn't too sure on handling the older foals, the ones she could work with. As Grace was leaving the Stallion's barn she recognized someone, Reven. She always hung out with Vanator, and Grace had gotten to know her a bit.

Reven held a very intimidating looking bow in her hand and an apple in the other. The fact that Grace barely knew Reven didn't stop her curiosity. Grace slowed to a stop, directing her words at Reven. "You going hunting or something?"

Thoughts - "Common" - "PC Talking" - "NPC Talking"

Grace Lechar
Step 1: Mount the horse. Step 2: Stay on ...

Words: 79585
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2014, 11:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Reven Heath on March 24th, 2014, 1:48 am

Off to the side, the young Kelvic could hear what sounded like an upset horse but easily ignored it, almost to the gates. Then a voice called to her, unfamiliar yet for some reason Reven knew their words were directed to her. Out of curiosity, she turned toward the voice and found a woman standing with a bucket of grooming supplies.

What was her name... Grace? Reven had seen her around the Sanctuary but wasn't exactly sure what her name was, only that she assisted in helping the horses and some of the other animals. When the cougar would return from her runs, she would smell the woman's scent, along with Aweston's, around the stables. She didn't know her too well and so, paused a moment to collect herself.

Did she ask her something? Oh, right, about where she was going, “Yes, I'm going hunting. Have you seen Larik? He usually goes with me but I haven't bumped into him yet.”

It was obvious Reven was going out into the forest by herself but she didn't want to admit to it. Cadra was probably scurrying away to see where Vanator was right this very moment. Even though the cougar would have loved his company, she understood he had obligations as well. Gripping the apple, Reven pulled it to her mouth and took a bite. It was not as good as she was hoping for but it would do for now... Maybe she could find something in the forest.

Waiting for her answer, Reven continued, “Um... Grace, is it? That's a nice name...” How awkward she was at this. The Kelvic wasn't too good at making friends.

“I'm Reven. I haven't really had the chance to say hi to you, things have been kind of...” Trailing off, the feline shrugged, pulling the strap of her backpack further up onto her shoulder. “Well it's nice to see another new face around here. You'll enjoy it at the Sanctuary. Kavala will make sure of it and if you need any help with anything, just let me know. Things can get kind of hectic here, heheh.”

The Kelvic thought that was the end of the conversation and so, gave her a reassuring smile and turned to head out of the gates. Reven had always been the kind of person to keep to herself. It was that, or studying and most of the interaction she had was with Mutaldi. Never did a conversation go by that wasn't about marriage or bonding, her caretaker was forever obsessed playing matchmaker with the feline. She always figured it was to pass the burden of her heritage off on someone else.

A frown fell to her lips. There is was again, the black grip of sadness snaking around her, pulling her back to the depressing abyss. It was obvious how quickly it hit her, making her look pale, tired, old. Reven needed relief in some way, she just didn't know what... or how. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to go hunting alone while she was in this state.

Halting just beyond the gates, Reven turned back and caught Grace's attention once more. “Um, Grace!” She called, moving to her. “Do you... Do you want to come out with me? It's okay if you don't have any experience hunting, I just need someone to carry whatever we find or catch. Or even an extra set of eyes would help.” Hazel eyes inspected blue, feral and wild, looking nervous. It was rare that Reven asked for help. “Would you mind? It'll only be for a short while and we'll be back to help them prepare for dinner. What do you say?”

If she would say yes, the cougar would release a sigh or relief and smile before letting Grace grab whatever she needed. Then, they two would travel toward the horse gates and out to the Fringe Forest.
Last edited by Reven Heath on April 1st, 2014, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Grace Lechar on March 30th, 2014, 4:21 pm

"Yeah I haven't seen him . . ." Grace actually had no idea who Larik was, but she shrugged anyway, it wasn't really a lie but Grace hope Reven didn't need him too badly. "Name's Grace," She waved, leaning against a locked stall door and listening to Reven's welcome. She debating inviting herself to go with Reven. It was somewhat rare for Grace to decide to not be her usual rude self. Grace flashed Reven a smile once she was done talking, thanking her appropriately. Reven's eyes drifted towards the ground, and her shoulder's seemed to sink, making Grace stand up straight. I something wrong? Grace wondered but didn't speak as Reven looked back at her and took off, to go hunting like she was supposed to. She didn't take offense, thinking it as more of a solitary action than a rude one. Grace felt a small desire float to the surface demanding Grace chase after her and join her. The hunt actually sounded very exciting and Grace had nothing to do for a few bells yet. Instead Grace stood there, mouth shut tight, watching the woman go, her inner debate had been decided. She would not bother Reven today. And then Reven turned around and was speaking to her.

"“Um, Grace! Do you... Do you want to come out with me? It's okay if you don't have any experience hunting, I just need someone to carry whatever we find or catch. Or even an extra set of eyes would help. Would you mind? It'll only be for a short while and we'll be back to help them prepare for dinner. What do you say?" Reven opened her invite to Grace, turning around some. One corner of Grace's mouth turned up as she headed towards Reven. She tried not to run, her excitement could come off as a bit childish and annoying, there was always room for Reven to change her mind.

"Would I ever!" She trotted slightly to catch up the Reven. "But just tell me if I'm getting annoying okay?" Grace wasn't one for small talk so her irritating behavior would less likely be from her words, but Grace thought herself annoying anyway. She offered to take some things off of Reven's hands, as she wasn't holding anything and continued walking with her. She also made a conscious effort to slow her pace to match Reven's. Grace's long strides and excitement pushed her farther ahead than the huntress. Curiosity bubbled up her throat and shot through her lips before she could stop it. This kind of talking on the other hand came easy to her. She had said she would try not to be a nuisance, but that promise was going to be quickly broken if she kept it up. Thankfully the usual rude tone that infected Grace's vocabulary wasn't present. She had nothing critical to say about Reven or what she did, since curiosity overpowered her words, she was actually coming across as nice for once."So how exactly do you do this?"

Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Reven Heath on April 2nd, 2014, 5:37 am

Grace's excitement surprised Reven, she wasn't prepared for such a ready answer and when the woman happily accepted, the cougar was slightly taken back. She was happy, extremely so, for Grace's company and set out toward the forest with her trailing behind. Grace didn't know it, but she had done for the Kelvic a great favor by tagging along. Without Larik, her extra set of eyes, the forest was darker and deadlier for Reven to wander through alone. Taking a quick look over the woman's garb, the huntress tsked herself for not suggesting more appropriate hunting attire. Fitted clothes, hard soles, and light, accessible weapons were optimal for catching game. Grace's outfit didn't appear to meet such standards but that was not a problem.

“Here,” Reven voiced, unstrapping the knife attached to her upper, right thigh. She handed the leather sheath to Grace along with the band so that she could fasten it to her own thigh, “It can get dangerous out in the forest. If anything starts to come at you, just remember to pull that out and aim for the neck.”

They were moving along the Kabrin road, toward the forest, when the woman's question sparked Reven's curiosity. It was odd, even as Grace had seen many more winter's than Reven, the cougar felt the sense to nurture the woman, guide her, and educate her just like a mother would do to their child. But that sense was not as strong with Grace as it was with Cadra or Kavala's children. When she thought no one was looking, the feline found entertainment chasing after the little children and, even on some occasions when Kavala was around, enjoyed holding the Konti's child in her arms. Reven loved the children of the Sanctuary. They helped to take her mind off of her own misfortunes.

What she felt for Grace, however, was amusement and a possible friendship blooming. The Kelvic wanted to help her as much as she could. After bonding with Vanator, Reven realized she enjoyed assisting others when she could and found peace in their company when before, she appealed to solitude. A lone feline of the wild. Turning predator hazel eyes to the young woman, Reven smiled. “Do what? Hunting? Hmm...” Pausing a moment, she thought over what exactly they would be doing. She figured it would be best to set a few snares and wait, maybe even find some herbs if they could. “It's easy, really. If you pay attention and have the stomach for it. We won't be doing much today, so you don't have to worry about us going in too deep. I thought it would be best to catch a couple of rabbits, so that's what we're going to try to do.”

As they walked, the cougar made sure to check her surroundings, observing the movement of the grass and bushes while the wind rattled them about gently, trying to spot any danger before it spotted them. “Snares aren't too hard to set up and if you'd like, I can show you how to make one.” The forest was sighted a few chimes from them. It wouldn't take long to reach the skirts of the woods. “Have you lived in Riverfall long?” The Kelvic questioned, “I moved here from Zeltiva, but I've lived here all my life, for the most part.”

Listening to the groomer, Reven stepped with her into the brush as they had finally made it to the first cluster of trees. Pushing the ferns and branches away, Reven stepped carefully into the forest, making sure to instruct Grace to do the same. The last thing she needed was for some kind of metallic asp sneaking up on the woman. Ugh, the cougar hated snakes... Looking around the forest, it appeared darker than usual due to the inclement weather they were experiencing, its shadows hiding possible danger the feline had a hard time scenting while in human form. Hopefully this would be an easy trip. In and out.

Venturing further in, the Kelvic began educating Grace on snares. “What you want to do first,” She told, reaching around into her pack to pull out her snares, “Is find a narrow path, somewhere the animal will have through.”

While Reven spoke, her hazel eyes examined the ground around them, looking for any kind of prints or scat, markings of some kind that indicated an animal was near. She found none, at least from what she could tell and continued to move deeper into the forest.

“It's best to know what to look for when hunting, like any kind of prints in the ground. You don't want to set up a trap in a place nothing goes through. Hmm... It doesn't look like there's been anything here for a while.”

Focused on the task at hand, Reven was thankful for the brief vacation from her thoughts. She didn't think coming out into the forest would help her at all but thankfully, with the blue eyed woman accompanying her, the cougar felt content. At least from the time being. A few ticks past before she noticed scat nestled by a budding bush. Approaching it, she took note of the smell and frowned softly, moving on. “Well, something is in the area so lets see if we can find a place to set the snare up.”

Turning back to Grace, Reven gave her a small smile, beckoning for her to follow, “Have you ever been out in the forest before?”
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Grace Lechar on April 5th, 2014, 10:28 pm

“Here,” As soon as the two women stepped out of the gates, Reven handed her a knife and a scabbard. Grace tried to protest, weapons had never been that appealing to her. “It can get dangerous out in the forest. If anything starts to come at you, just remember to pull that out and aim for the neck.” Grace gulped, holding the weapon in her hands, now she held both a very lethal looking knife and had her somewhat wimpy looking dagger strapped to her waist. Truth was she could barely count the dagger as a weapon, she mostly used it for tasks around the barn, like cutting rope or occasionally trimming hoofs that hadn't been watched very carefully. The serrated edge wasn't meant for slicing flesh. Sighing in defeat Grace wobbled to strap the blade to her thigh, it was probably a good idea to be prepared.

At Reven's comment on the actual act of killing the creatures, Grace realized she hadn't bothered to think about that. She wasn't all that squeamish around blood, but the thought of taking a life, wasn't something Grace had thought about. Most people would shrug it off as just an animal's life, but Grace was more sensitive to the creatures inhabiting her world. Grace tried to push the thoughts from her mind, she didn't need to think about it now. It wasn't as if they were killing for sport. She watched the woman, somewhat amazed by her.

Reven's steps were light and agile compared to her boots that broke the brush and stomped into the dirt mercilessly. She wasn't quiet used to having to be quiet, in fact when she was around the horses she was loud on purpose so that the beasts she worked with could tell were she was as she worked around them. Grace slowed her pace, realizing her long legs were bringing her forward again and attempted to copy Reven's footing. The sound greatly decreased, but it made it harder for Grace to balance and found herself speeding up since she couldn't quiet put all her weight on each foot, otherwise she would make noise. Frustrated Grace resumed her normal walk, deciding that if Reven complained, she could sit down and watch or something.

“Have you lived in Riverfall long?” Reven questioned, “I moved here from Zeltiva, but I've lived here all my life, for the most part.” Grace shook her head before speaking up.

"Nah, I only just got here a moon er'so ago. Kavala offered me a job straight away, that was nice. I lived in Sylaris most'a my life, so I can honestly say I've'nt been out much, at all." Grace looked up at the trees as they got closer, shielding the sky from her view. She had been walking our here some, along the skirts of the Sanctuary and the city some with Jeno so she wasn't new to forests, but she hadn't really been in a forest until she moved to Riverfall. Jeno! Grace's head whipped down realizing that she left her damned dog. Grace usually let the dog go through the stables on his own, no one really seemed to mind and the dog knew not to mess with the horses, he'd gotten more than a few nips and kicks to teach him the lesson. She felt bad because the dog was likely wondering where she is. Or he just hasn't noticed. The latter was more likely, the dog didn't do as much 'guarding' as he was trained to do.

“What you want to do first, is find a narrow path, somewhere the animal will have through.” Grace returned her attention to Reven, watching her movements. She hadn't expected to be actually taught, just to tag along and carry things, but she didn't deny the opportunity. Reven pulled out some strange jumble of materials that Grace assumed were the snares. As Reven slowed, her eyes jumping across the forest surrounding them, Grace slowed with her, watching the woman more than the forest. She bent to sniff something. Was that scat? Why was she sniffing it? Well Grace couldn't say much really, she scooped poop daily, multiple times a day. But all horses ate was grass so besides being a bit smelly it wasn't that bad. But Reven didn't know what animal produed that, it was mildly shocking to Grace and her lip twitched but she didn't say anything. For all she knew it was some strange hunting technique or something. Reven stood up, waving her over. “Well, something is in the area so lets see if we can find a place to set the snare up.” When Grace was in step with her again, Reven turned to her. “Have you ever been out in the forest before?”

"Not really. I walk with Jeno, my dog, sometimes, but don't go far. I didn't really leave the city much 'fore Riverfall. Wasn't much a'need to." Grace wasn't one to share her life story so much, it wasn't like there were things to hide or be ashamed of, her childhood was a very peaceful one. Yeah she had some big blowout with her parents that landed her in this strange city, but she knew it would sound more like her being a brat than decided to not let other people toy with her life. Grace knew most people had it rough, her sheltered rich childhood was rare, but it wasn't interesting. Grace watched the huntress beside her as they walked. Reven's behavior had peaked her interest. Something was peculiar about the way Reven could see the forest. She didn't just look at it like Grace did, she truly looking into it, reading it like a book and deciding what she could do with the situation. It was almost like she was born under the trees among animals, like she was meant to be there. A thought bubbled in the back of her mind. She had heard of people who could change themselves into animals, not wizards but just regular people. Or maybe they were animals that could turn into people. Not possible. Grace shoved it off, it simply wasn't possible. No one would let that kind of magic just walk among the rest of Mizahar. Anyway, Reven was a nice woman, she couldn't be a barbaric animal. Grace didn't have the evidence to suggest it, it was a silly idea anyway. But what were they called . . . ? "You a Kivel? Kelvice? What's it called?" Her thoughts ran ahead of her, breaking through her lips and voicing her thoughts too soon. She had nothing to go on. Nothing. Grace didn't know if the woman would take offense to her words. Grace had a bad habit of saying things, rude things, without thinking about them. Her parents had always told her to stay away from all magic, so accusing someone of practicing magic, or being a magic being could be nothing but rude. But Grace's parents were also very closed-minded people. Grace had always tried not to be but she only knew the things her parents told her. Grace's cheeks burned and she looked away, stumbling over her apology. "Sorry! Ain't that silly? Obviously you're very human. What was I thinking, haha."

Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Reven Heath on April 8th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Beastly hazel eyes looked on at Grace as she spoke, concern slowly shifting upon her features as she studied the woman's behavior. When she placed the knife in Grace's hand, the groomer hesitated, appearing unsure of whether to take it or deciding if she needed to take it. The Kelvic wanted her to use the weapon. Even if Reven was trained in combat, she couldn't guarantee Grace's safety out in the forest. Lengthy trunks clustered together, most with deep brown, chestnut colored bark, others with a gray color to them that stood thinner, taller, sporadically placed among bushes, high ferns with low baring leaves that blocked off light. The Fringe Forest was a perfect environment to get lost in, if one was not paying attention. It was also a great place for a predator like Reven to hunt within and unfortunately, she was not the only one...

Grace slowed in her step, taking time to strap the knife to her thigh much in the same way Reven did. Pausing, she waited for the groomer to secure it to her leg before continuing on. The cougar couldn't promise safety but she would be damned if she allowed danger to be brought upon her volunteered partner so easily. The concern Reven expressed for Grace disappeared and was replaced with her usual guarded, focused complexion.

When they moved into the forest and Reven sparked up conversation with Grace. The feline noticed she looked somewhat distraught, as if she was looking for something she should have with her. “Is everything alright?” Reven asked to which the answer came readily. “Oh, your dog Jeno? I think I remember seeing him around.” The Kelvic remembered alright... The first night the pair moved into the Sanctuary, Jeno wandered off into Reven's room, full of different types of hide which beckoned to the animal's teeth. Needless to say, the cougar was more than upset, but thankfully, Jeno only chewed on a small portion before scurrying away from her. No one was around to see this situation unfold and Reven felt no need to bring it up. Animals were animals afterall.

She frowned softly, the thought rousing dark thoughts.

The cougar ignored them, “I was the same when I came to Riverfall. Granted, I was stuck on a ship for nearly the entire season so when my feet touched land, I wandered everywhere. The crew didn't like me, heheh. Troublesome would be an understatement for what I was, but we still made it to the city okay.” A smile lifted her lips then. "You'll like the Sanctuary a lot. Kavala is very gracious like that, very accepting. If it wasn't for her, I honestly don't know where I would be..."

Ever so often, the Kelvic would stop to listen and look around. She was searching for marking, broken twigs, prints, scratches, hollowed holes, any kind of substance that could lead her further into a populated area of animals. As they dived deeper into the forest, Reven could see more and more of these markings, though scattered around and nearly hidden. She favored her feline form more for hunting. Scents mattered most and they were much strong in the form. Stopping in front of a dense cluster of small trees and brush, Reven examined the narrow opening that led further into the area beyond. On the ground there was grass pressed softly into the soil below, indicating this was a path taken often by an animal. Without a word, Reven set about looking for fallen branches to dig into the ground.

Grace's question caught her attention, back to the groomer, while she still searched around for the materials she needed. Reven was unfazed by the woman's curiosity, she had met with that same curiosity several times before. Though, is sounded as if Grace didn't mean to vocalize her thought and quickly tried to cover it up as if it was a silly, childish thing to ask. It made her chuckle.

“Kelvic,” She responded, amused, “And yes, I am one.” Subtly, she dismissed the subject.

A branch with its end cut at an angle stuck out of the side of a bush. Reven grasped it and pulled, snapped it to the length she wanted, and returned to Grace's side. So her civilized behavior had improved? That was good. The Kelvic understood she moved differently than others, steadier, with hushed, curious intent. Whatever her mind was focused on showed, not through her expression, but through her eyes.

The only thing that actually gave away what she was were the points of her canines, large enough for someone to notice when she smiled widely yet not so apparent that one could see them when she spoke. It was the reason why she didn't smile as often outside of the Sanctuary.

“I've found a spot we can use. See that opening there?” Pointing to the small pathway before them, Reven continued. “If you can help me set this up, we'll leave some of the snares around here for a little while. Maybe we might catch something.”

Branch in hand, Reven thrust the stick into the dirt, digging it deep so that it would remain securely in place. It remained off to the side, concealed by a blooming bush but leaned close enough to the path where the snare could reach easily. Obtaining the snare, Reven held her hands out, “I thought it would be best to show you something while we're out here. I hope you don't mind?” Thin rope, coated with a kind of material that made it pliable and easy to work with, was presented to the groomer. “Like I said, it's really easy setting these traps up. Just take the rope, run it around your fingers so it makes a hole, twist it...” Demonstrating her action to Grace, Reven wrapped the rope around her index and ring finger, leaving enough space so that once the rest of the rope was twisted together, she could string it through the hole, “Pull it through and set it.”

Moving to the branch she dug into the ground, Reven secured the remaining rope to the branch and gave it a gentle tug.

“There, it's set...” Leaning forward, the cougar picked up small twigs and stuck them into the soil, making the path even more narrow than it had been, “Just remember to keep the snare about a hand's length from the ground, if you're wanting to catch smaller animals, like rabbits. That way when they come hopping along, they'll fall right into it by the neck.”

Standing, Reven dusted her hands off and looked around, trying to locate other beats. “You can try the next one, if you want.” If Grace did decide to set up the next snare, Reven would happily walk her through it. If not, the cougar would smile and shrug, locating a path and branch to set up the next trap.
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Grace Lechar on April 18th, 2014, 6:42 pm

“I thought it would be best to show you something while we're out here. I hope you don't mind?” Grace was already watching Reven's fingers. Her knees dug into the dirt below the two, her blue eyes focused on the knot between her fingers. Grace wasn't entirely a novice with knots, she had a few she made regularly for the horses. But the thing about her knots and these that Reven made were hers were meant to come loose. The extent that Grace knew of making a knot that wasn't built to be pulled easily was to tie her shoe laces. “Like I said, it's really easy setting these traps up. Just take the rope, run it around your fingers so it makes a hole, twist it...” Reven pulled the thin string through her fingers with ease. She gave it one last tug and set it in the ground, the trap was done. “Pull it through and set it.”

“There, it's set...” Reven straightened, and Grace did the same. She wasn't nearly as graceful as the strange creature beside her. Looking down at the snare below them Grace nodded at Reven's work, as if she had seen this thing before and was rating the creation as an accomplishment. That didn't look too hard. Grace lied to herself as Reven stuck a bunch of twigs in the ground. To Grace it looked pointless for a second as she wondered what Reven was doing. She obviously wasn't building twig forts like children did. It took Grace a second to follow the pattern. They had chosen a commonly used trail, set a trap where the prey would likely set it off, and then slimmed the trail to guarantee a catch. It was brilliant. Reven turned to her, offering to let her set up the next one, handing her supplies. Grace followed the woman down the trail a bit. "You can try the next one, if you want."

Grace nodded glancing back at the snare Reven has set. She made it look so easy, but it likely wasn't. Grace turned to Reven, completely unsure of what she should be doing. A stick. Reven's snare was held off of a stick. Grace set her eyes on the ground, picking up a medium sized stick. It had twigs branching off of it, and it was rather crooked, but it looked sturdy. "So I just stick this in'th ground?" Grace questioned, feeling like a child as she waited for direction. She wanted to help Reven out, but she really had no clue where to begin. Grace knelt, shoving the stick deep into the ground. She wiggled it in further and piled the base with a bit of dirt to make it stay. Grace turned towards Reven, and expression of hopeless confusion on her face. She had no idea if she was right or wrong with her actions, but she was just mimicking the huntress beside her. "What'm I doin' wrong?"

Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Taking The First Step

Postby Grace Lechar on May 10th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Also abandoned...

:(
Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes