[Adventure/Quest] Breaking the Cycle (Status: Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Re: [Adventure/Quest] Breaking the Cycle (Status: Closed)

Postby Gromhir on October 8th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Gromhir looked down to stone like creature. He was surprised it could speak to the say the least but did not jump at it. The creature was like nothing Gromhir had seen before. Crouching down, the kelvic poked at the creature, his lupine curiosity getting the better of him. There was no way he was going to eat it. It was far to tough for the protein it would provide. He had just eaten anyway.
“You seek someone?” Gromhir picked the creature up in his hand, stood up and brought it to his eye level to better examine it. “Then why hide here? You should travel the nature’s path if seeking someone. It will lead you to them.” Gromhir was clearly puzzled by this creature’s strange behaviour but was unphased by the fact it actually talked.
“Why should I help? You are not from my pack. I have no reason to help your cause.” Gromhir turned the creature round in his hand, trying to figure out what exactly it was.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Postby Cosette Merryweather on October 8th, 2009, 9:26 pm

"I... have a unique taste...?" she enunciated the snake words slowly, first because she wanted to confirm what he said and that she wasn't just hearing things and also because she foung this statement very disconcerting. Nevertheless she listened to the rest of his explanation and by the time it was finished talking she was positive that the snake was out of its mind.

"Oh dear, this does seem like an important job..."
she didn't want to offend the snake, it did look like it had its heart in the right place but clearly whoever had sent it wasn't thinking things through. For one thing she couldn't even solve her own problems how could this creature's master expect her to take care of a god of all things. "I'm sorry Mister Snake, I'd love to accept your proposal but I just don't believe I have what it takes. I'm... Well, not really heroine material..." But wasn't this the opportunity of a lifetime? In the off-chance she became instrumental in the downfall of an evil god then wouldn't that be something to be proud of? Besides how could she live with herself if she didn't even try. "...but if you could tell me more then maybe I could help." she extended her open palm waiting to hear what else the snake had to tell her.
The answer is more Body Building. -X.
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Words: 69794
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Postby Virgil on October 9th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Raising an eyebrow, the human then quickly retracted his lack of poise in order to rest against a rugged vine. Sunlight filtered slowly down, as the dust in the air could be noticed with such a contrast of hue and color. The stone, the earth, the sky.. there was a lull to the place now that guided the man's calm like an echoing reed pipe. Virgil squinted, ignoring the tone of the creature's voice and vice. He cracked a knuckle, rotating his right wrist as if to stretch. His face drew no facet to what lay behind, but for an unknown reason the Monk chose to err from his path. Virgil opened his mouth.

"I am."

His voice resonated clearly and quietly.
Virgil
Player

Words: 1733
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2009, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Arabella Sintos on October 19th, 2009, 4:41 pm

It wasn’t exactly a strange thing for Arabella that she was speaking to a small animal, she was a Kelvic after all, what was odd was keeping back her feline senses and not eating the bird. What worried the young slave was the fact that this could be some sort of a trap, set up by the cruel God or her master just as an excuse to put her through more pain, as if Lazerin even needed an reason or excuse to hurt her. Her heart raced as she waited for the raven to answer her question, her eyes looking around her as though paranoid, she had a reason to be paranoid of course. Hopping onto her shoulder, the bird gave it’s answer, though disappointing enough, it couldn’t give her all that much information due to the lack of safety in the city. Arabella listened intently to what the little gray raven had to say and it was very tempting, having her prayers released, allowed to once again grace the ears of her chosen God Nysel, but there was always a catch, always a danger and that was something the raven left out. He didn’t talk of the dangers that would come with her agreeing to help and that was enough to cause her to hesitate.

Others? So there would be others involved as well. Slaves like her or free people? She found it daunting that a lot seemed to rest on her, her lack of presence would cause this unknown task to be very difficult…but was the risk worth it? A scent touched against her senstive nose, a scent that she hadn’t smelled in what seemed like forever. The scent of the beautiful untouched forest, the smell of a place outside these dingy walls.

She wanted so badly to nod her head, but fear caused her to freeze, could she really go against both Rhysol and Lazerin? She hated them both so much and yet she feared them and their power within the city where she stood now. Could she truly go against a god and hope to survive? Was her life worth sacrificing to free Ravok from the oppressor if it came down to that? Ara’s dark eyes looked down away from the raven for the moment, uncertain of all this, it felt as though she was carrying a heavy weight and she could either ignore it as though it weren’t there and continue on as a slave or take a chance at possible freedom. Going against a God just seemed like such a huge thing to a small life such as hers…

Her head was telling her to leave and return to her life of slavery, at least in that life she mostly knew what to expect and what was expected of her, but could she really turn her back on this chance. Her heart told her to take a chance and see what happened, surely it couldn’t get any worse as a slave and this raven would grant her a temporary leave from Ravok, something she so badly needed. After what seemed like hours, the girl looked over at the raven on her shoulder and gave a brief nod. She needed more answers to the questions in her head and she needed to get out of that city, even if only for a short time. She touched the collar around her neck, wondering if the blasted collar would take effect. “But…my collar.” She said softly to the raven. “I cannot remove it and it will not easily let me leave.”
Arabella Sintos
Living My Life Through Grey Eyes

Words: 24354
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2009, 11:35 pm

Postby Gillar on October 25th, 2009, 5:35 am

As Gromhir poked at the black, stone-like beetle, it hunched down slightly and spoke again in a voice filled with soft clicks, First, don't poke me; I hate that." It did however allow him to pick it up. It studied Gromhir nearly as closely as he studied it. While able to speak with some skill and a bit of intelligence, the actions of humanoids were still a bit alien to the small creature. It had difficulty fully grasping why this humanoid would not just agree to what it asked. "Well of course I am not of your pack. Look at me. Do I look anything like you? And I am not hiding. I was standing here right out in the open. Anyway, I understand that you humanoids enjoy rewards received for services given. Let me see, how would your kind put it...I am authorized to offer potential payment for your aid. Of course you are going to ask me what kind of rewards but I am just a messenger. If you want to know the details, I would have you speak to my master. For that, I need your permission I guess you could say." The beetle clicked its mandibles as it spoke and watched Gromhir closely with many eyes. The humanoid was odd although most were. The beetle was surprised at the interest the humanoid took in it. It had not experienced too many good things from humanoids; most wished to squash it or at best catch it and throw it in a jar. So far this one was different from the others in that regard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The snake halfheartedly listened to Cosette as she denounced her status as a heroine. It was not looking for a hero nor did it care if she thought she had what it took to accomplish the task required. It was busy thinking about the mouse hiding around some nearby rocks; its flavor barely touching the snake's tongue amidst the taste of Cosette's unique scent. However, when Cosette mentioned that she was interested in more information, the snake's attention snapped immediately back to her. That is exactly what it was looking for out of the woman. The master had instructed it quite clearly that if, and only if, the person it found agreed to learn more or requested to hear more about the task, was it to take the next step. As she leaned toward the snake and extended her hand, the snake inwardly 'smiled' at Cosette. With amazing speed, it retracted and struck in a blinding flash; sinking its fangs into Cosette's hand and then releasing her just as quick. Cosette's hand began to glow around the wound with a green light that swirled with hues of color commonly found in a deep forest. The light grew brighter and brighter before an amazing flash disrupted her vision. When she could see again, Cosette found herself standing in the center of a ring of massive trees. It was obvious that she was somewhere completely different; a thick forest where light barely trickled down through the vast canopy above.

Virgil spoke with confidence and strength; exactly what the scorpion was looking for. Granted sentience by its master, the scorpion quickly discovered itself and became quite aware of who it was and what it wanted. One of the first things it learned was that it liked humans. They were so different from one another and so very interesting. Part of it enjoyed the fact that they were easy to manipulate if one knew what to offer and how to offer it. As much as the scorpion wanted to use this man, the master's gift of self-awareness carried with it a sliver of his own essence. This tempered the scorpion's desire to otherwise cause chaos and death. While not exactly a symbol of Rhysol, scorpions were silent killers, their small size and fragile forms were deceptive and they were often used by the God spread his darkness. With a more balanced outlook, the scorpion found itself more akin to attracted to this man's strength and confidence. Instead of wanting to use those traits against him, it admired him for it. This caused a tinge of regret at the pain it would cause him with what it did next. With but a flick of its tail, the scorpion jammed its stinger into Virgil's flesh. The feeling was excruciating; a humbling pain that quickly spread throughout his body. The pain lasted but a second and was followed by a soothing warmth. His vision blurred and his mind swam. This too lasted but a moment and when it passed, Virgil found himself standing in the center of a circle of massive trees. There were others around him although his vision was not yet clear enough to make out details of who or what they were. The sounds of the forest surrounded him and he could easily tell that he was no longer where he once was.

The raven waited as Arabella pondered its words. It was not an easy thing to ask and the bird was quite aware of that. The girl had concerns and raven was sympathetic as well as prepared for the issue of the collar. It whispered into her ear when the area was clear of prying eyes and ears, "The collar is indeed powerful. However, as strong as Lazerin is, my master has friends in high places as well. While we cannot help with the removal of the collar, we can stall its affects on you for a time and perhaps even disrupt it for longer still. We can provide you with a small amount of time away from this den of filth in exchange for hearing fully the details of our plea and then leave you with a tad bit more freedom without Lazerin's knowledge. Should he find out however, the cost to you would be great." The raven truly felt for Arabella. Its master had imparted with sentience, his own memories onto the bird. It knew the horrors that The Black Sun and the Ebonstryfe were capable of unleashing upon those they enslaved and it wanted nothing more than to carry Arabella away from it all. It was not yet capable of such a thing though...not yet. Arabella was hesitant to agree and it understood. When she nodded though, the raven was filled with a mixture of hope, happiness and extreme sadness. This would not be easy for anyone who took up the cause.

"This will sting a little and for that, I am sorry." The raven quickly bit Arabella's ear. True to its word, the bite stung although only for a moment. In less than a few seconds time, Arabella's ears were filled with the sounds of the forest. Her nose took in the smells of wild and images of leaves and branches filled her vision. For a moment she felt as though she were falling. Everything happened with the span of a few seconds but the sights, smells and feelings seemed to last a lifetime before Arabella found herself standing in the center of a ring of massive trees. There were others standing nearby although their faces were not quite discernible.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Gromhir on October 25th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Gromhir continued to stare at the beetle even as it continued to speak. He remained curious of what it was, slightly confused by the way it acted and not entirely listening to what it had to say. Eventually, Gromhir came the conclusion than other than the fact that the beetle was indeed a beetle, he had no idea what it was or where it came from. So he turned his attention to what it was actually saying.

“Rewards? Do not mistake me for a human because of my appearance. Nature’s Path brought me here and will take me away again. I ask you a question. Can your master help me find what I am searching for? If he can help me then I will help him,” Gromhir spoke slowly and truthfully. If this master could help him find what he was longing for then Gromhir would help. Everything in balance as was Nature’s way. Gromhir did not care for what humans did, he did not need any of it. He only needed to find It, whatever that was.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Postby Arabella Sintos on October 25th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Perhaps it was rude of Arabella to make the little raven wait so long, but it didn’t urge her to hurry nor did it push her for an answer, it simply remained silent as the girl thought on her decision. It was not one to take lightly because it could easily mean the end of her life, though could one called the existence she led ‘life’? She was being given a chance to change this existence, to give freedom not just to herself but to others as well, how could she pass up such an opportunity when she knew it would most likely never come again? When she called attention to the blasted collar that rested snug around her neck, she expected the raven to exude despair yet it seemed that it had known of the collar’s properties already. She listened closely as the bird whispered gently in her ear, it was good news mixed with sad news, they could not remove the collar and give her her freedom but they could stall the effects for a time. She visibly shuddered when he mentioned what could happen if Lazerin found out.... “I know what would happen.” She whispered softly, fear laced in her few words.

It felt as though she had placed a heavier burden upon her shoulders when she nodded her head, as though she was making a deal with a little feathered devil. There was a chance that this all could help her or damn her further, but if she did nothing then she could never really believe she did all she could to escape this life. There would be a fear inside her born out of all the beatings and torture she had suffered since she was first brought into slavery and perhaps it would always be there, but defying Lazerin and Rhysol both had a certain ring to it that Arabella liked. She had no idea how the little bird was feeling, didn’t know that it pitied her and really did wish to help, all she knew was the bird had been sent to her by a master and that master felt he had need of Arabella’s help. Despite all danger involved, Arabella did wish to know just what her part entailed and what all would come of it if they were successful. She didn’t have to ask about the dangers of joining their cause because she was certain she knew about some of them, Lazerin and Rhysol were hardly figures that would go easy on one that went against them.

Arabella had little time to brace herself before she felt a stinging pain in her ear, not the worst pain she’s ever felt but it still took her by surprise. The pain didn’t last long of course but the surprise remained as things began to shift and change, she felt as though she was falling and her senses were assailed by scents that she hadn’t smelled in ages, aside from the little bird’s scent. She closed her eyes in fear as the scents continued to come, the smell of the fresh forest and nature, the smell of freedom in a way. After what seemed like forever, she peeked open one eye to find herself standing in the center of huge trees and it seemed she wasn’t alone either. It was overwhelming to have this all at once, to be away from the city without feeling the effects of the damnable collar, away from Rhysol’s prying eyes. How much time would go by before Lazerin realized she was missing? Her head was held down low, her stringy blond hair in front of her face as she stood quietly, not good with strangers. She had come to get answers and she recalled how the raven had mentioned others, these must be them
Arabella Sintos
Living My Life Through Grey Eyes

Words: 24354
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2009, 11:35 pm

Postby Virgil on October 30th, 2009, 12:26 am

As the insect bit down the man observed. He had chosen a quiet area beneath an overhanging of kuzu that gripped the crumbling concave bricks of a pyramid. In the taunt shadows they had spoken, and it was here he let go into the sting. The poison was not what was to be expected, for it absorbed his entire body like a purge, eating his skin with the multitude of sharpened fangs till even the core had vanished.

"What is necessary is always logical."

The echoing reign of the Order of Ano had chosen him to deliver balance but he had tipped the scales by making a new move. As the hungry dose of magic literally diverted his path, it was here among these trees Virgil would renew his vow.
There was no humble curiosity, for words did not merit trust, actions did. Running a hand along the shaven crest of his skull the monk returned to both feet, looking about, surveying. The ingestion of it's toxin had blurred his vision and clouded his mind still. Power was not found in appearance, nor tone of voice. He did not quantify himself in relative flattering terms. Strength could die, an ideal was immortal but his body was not.
Virgil
Player

Words: 1733
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2009, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Cosette Merryweather on November 7th, 2009, 7:02 am

In the end the snake still bit her and without warning too! It was unforgivable, and he did it right after he'd promised not to! How could Cosette possibly trust whoever had sent the thing now? She wasn't a country-bumpkin and she was nobody's fool, or at least she was thoroughly convinced that she was. There was no way she was going to cooperate with such a... such a snake!

Not that she had enough time to be frustrated. Before she could even feel betrayed the blinding flash of bright light and the sea of green which spun into existence around her forced the girl to close her eyes and sink unto the ground on her knees in an effort to avoid a bad case of vertigo.

After spending a good minute on the grass however the girl's head finally poked up and she saw that not only was she in a forest and effectively lost. She was also in the company of a few others, probably the other people that the snake tricked into this suicide mission but she wasn't taking chances. Ancient evil usually came in the plainest of packages and so she stepped back from the clearing, she wanted to keep a comfortable distance between her and these people who may or may not be hostile - or psychotic serial killers.

Cosette waved weakly at the people, she didn't want to seem too frightened and if they were nice people she didn't want to offend them. "So... are you the other people who were tricked into this endeavor?"
The answer is more Body Building. -X.
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Words: 69794
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Postby Gillar on November 10th, 2009, 8:25 am

The beetle hunched down a bit as if recoiling from perceived anger as Gromhir corrected it about mistaking him for a human. The question that followed however was a reasonable one. The one who set the beetle to its task was indeed a wise individual as far as the beetle was concerned. It tried to think a moment and come up with a good answer.

"I can't say for certain if what you are looking for is something that my master can help you with. I can say however that if he is capable of granting me the ability to think and speak then he must surely possess some ability to aid you in whatever is you seek." The beetle again clicked its mandibles. Patience was something new to the beetle. For a creature normally victim to extremely short lifespans, it was not easy to become accustomed to all the intricacies of now being a sentient being. Along with sentience also came emotions, fears, desires and in this case, extended life. It was something the beetle did not plan to lose anytime soon and thus it feared just that if this human-not-human did not answer the request.

A thought occurred to the beetle and it said, "Besides, what harm can it do to at least listen to what my master has to say and then ask him all the questions you wish for yourself? If you end up not wanting a part in this, you will be returned to this spot without another word about it."

-------------------------------------------------------

For Cosette and Arabella, they stood in the center of a circle of trees with their vision not quite clear. As it did clear, they could see one another standing in the deep forest. Around them, strange, softly glowing humanoid shapes stood in various poses. Soft, muffled voices could be heard echoing all around. The shapes appeared to be talking to various other forms that looked like various types of animals. The impression both women had was that they were watching others, like themselves, speaking with the strange animals. However these others appeared to still be in conversation. Perhaps they had not yet agreed to the animals' requests. For now, it seemed that they were the only two solid humanoids in the circle.

Arabella was able to locate the small raven that she had been speaking with. It was perched on a nearby rock just a few feet away from her.

Cosette also saw the snake that had bitten her as it slithered slowly around her in a rather wide radius as if it feared retribution for what it had done.

Arabella heard the other girl speak above the muffled voices of the other ghostly images.

Throughout it all, both women could not help but get the slight feeling that they were being watched.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext