PM to join [Dreamcatcher] The Clouds Are Stalking Islands In The Sun

Finian and Kavala go sailing aboard her flagship catamaran.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Dreamcatcher] The Clouds Are Stalking Islands In The Sun

Postby Kavala on April 5th, 2014, 9:50 pm

20th of Spring, 514 A.V.

The day was turning out to be lovely. Kavala had made a second trip after the disastrous encounter with the Tempests, and had returned to The Sanctuary and back, tying The Dreamcatcher up at Alement's dock neatly. She was in the process of unloading more of Caelum's supplies when she saw the note danging from the advertisement she'd posted about wanting someone to sail with and give lessons.

She walked over, took down the paper, and frowned at the words. More Tempests? No no... it was a simple note. She was torn over its contents, the message clear and light hearted conveying a person who might very well have the personality she was looking for in a sailing companion. But they were also lacking in a written education, which was true of most of the sea fairing folks. They did not have ready access to paper and books that didn't travel well over water anyhow. But in the end it was the tone she appreciated and a no-nonsense directness that drew her.

"I kan meet here at 3rd bell today, later, if you still be looking for sail lessons. I know not everything, but does anyone? I kan sail well nuf to teach willing bodies. Happy to be at sea!"

She smiled. Happy. She liked the word. Kavala glanced up at the sky and noted it was almost the third bell at that moment. She just had time, if she hurried, to pick up enough supplies for a light meal for two if she got caught late at sea with the individual. Kavala raided Alement's kitchen, and then took two full flasks of wine. The Dreamcatcher had plenty of fresh water. Her tanks had been recently filled. There were dried goods as well, medical supplies, and anything they might need if they ran into trouble. Kavala was slightly excited, hoping the meeting would go better than the one with the Tempests had. And she too hoped that this person at least could teach her a thing or two. There was only so much she could learn from books... and Kavala's true passion ran to learning.

The Konti was ready at the third bell and sat herself at an Alement's table out on the deck, right next to where the message board with the note was posted.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Finian Truewind on April 7th, 2014, 8:20 pm

OOCRemind me not to ask someone to start a thread with me the weekend my in-laws come to visit! Harrrr. Sorry for the delay on my response. Edited because I realized autocorrect is a jerk.

Finian had discovered the poster while investigating the Alements just the day before. That evening, he may have also spent a few too many of his limited mizas on a meal, but it was certainly worthwhile. If he’d come to enjoy anything about experiencing life on land in a city, it was perhaps more than a little biased toward enjoying the different foods.

He had honestly tried not to stand in front of the poster for too long, one calloused hand rubbing the freckled back of his neck as he squinted at the Common. He ignored the Tukant entirely, unable to even muster up the desire to figure out a language he couldn’t speak. Maps had pictures, lines, and charts, and he was thankful for that. The blond Svefra could recognize key words, however, and it had been the word “sailing” that caught his eye in the first place. He had to sound out the word “instructional” out loud, quietly, almost under his breath, but the words “trade” and “food” made the request written neatly on the poster sound worthwhile enough. He could teach sailing. That was easy. Even though he had no idea what kind of vessel this person was asking a favor of instruction for, if it was anything personal-sized, he was confident enough he could figure it out.

Then, if he had taken a long time to read the poster, he’d took even longer in the writing of the response. Writing felt awkward and he could hardly call what he scrawled on paper anything close to proper handwriting. He made sure to make the 3 extra large, you know, to emphasize it. Hopefully everything else was at least remotely legible. Numbers, he was good at. Measurements and calculations were important for shipwrighting, but everything else related to writing could be considered more than just a little optional in his life in general. Next to the time, his name was probably the most well-written. Once finally finished, he’d tacked up his note next to the poster somewhere obvious.

The day of his requested meeting time, he truly intended to be to the Alements on time. If only the city streets weren’t quite so confusing … at least he’d begun to pick up landmarks, visual queues that stood out to him along the way. That crooked tree or that broken wall or that strange sign. Waverly, his tavan, may have actually had a better idea of where the pair was headed, but thankfully the albino otter wasn’t one to rub it in.

Eventually, the two of them found their way and were only a handful of chimes late.

The itinerant shipwright made his way to the outdoor seating area with it’s lovely view (well, what part of Riverfall didn’t have some kind of decent view, anyway?). There were a handful of other folks outside, but one woman in particular--a Konti woman, at that, if what he saw as indeed a hint of scaled glimmer was visible in the afternoon light of Syna shining on the wooden deck--was looking more than just a little eager near her poster and his hand-scrawled note. It was easy enough for the blond to make the connection, especially considering he was sure he was mostly on time. Finian put on a broad smile, offering a warm wave to identify himself as the object of her possible impatience,

“Hello, I’m gonna venture a guess that you’re Kavala, eh? Kavala Denusk?” He hoped he didn’t butcher her name horribly, given his unimpressive level of literacy and his somewhat imperfect grasp of the Common tongue, but what he lacked in ability, surely he made up for in enthusiasm. The Konti would find herself nosed by Waverly even before Ian could finish his sentence, the young white creature doing his best not to find something worth chewing on on her person, “Looks like y’could read my note. I’m Finian o‘the Truewind pod, but, please, call me Ian. Thanks fer meetin’ me, albe’t a bit late as I am.”

He’d offer a hand worn by years of crafting as a means of greeting, having learned that not everyone was a hugger or as touchy-feely as he was used to as a Svefra. All sun-kissed freckles and sea baubles, the blond decided he would hold himself back from inundating the woman with questions about her vessel and the lessons she was looking for in order to let her get a breath of introduction in herself. There was plenty of daylight left for all of that, after all.
Finian Truewind
Itinerant Shipwright

Words: 49050
Joined roleplay: October 5th, 2013, 2:18 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on April 29th, 2014, 3:55 am

The Konti gave the newcomer a curious look and then offered him a slow smile. It was a guarded smile after her run-in with the Tempest Pod that morning, but it was a smile none the less. But this new man was alone and he seemed to smile even with his eyes. He had a relaxed nature about him that lacked the desperation of the youths who had paid her a visit that morning. Kavala was sensitive to body language, though no reader of minds or personalities. But she instinctually liked the man lounging so casually in front of her as if he had not a care in the world. And when he offered her his hand, Kavala took it and shook it briskly. She appreciated the worn shape of his palm and imagined handling ropes and lines had taken its toll on him. Her own palm was calloused by her swordwork, lunging horses, digging fence posts, and any number of hard work she did above and beyond her Healing.

“You would be astutely correct. I’m Kavala Denusk.”
The Healer confirmed her identity and in turn nodded at his name. “Yes, I did read your note. I’m… looking to round out my sailing lessons with someone of experience. I’ve only learned from a book so far and trial and error. I know that is not enough to be a good sailor. So I was looking to hire someone to accompany me on trips here and there and to give lessons as they do so.” Kavala said, her alto was a rich chocolate tone though deeper than most Konti. She kept her voice low too, as if she were embarrassed to own a ship and not know its full functionality.

“That’s my vessel.” She pointed to The Dreamcatcher moored right off Alement’s dock. She’d been unloading freight she’d brought from The Sanctuary for Caelum before Ian had introduced himself. “I’ve been to The Southern Boarder Post and back with her.” Kavala said, meaning of course Sultros and a Suvan Sea Crossing. “But I had luck and good weather the whole trip. I think if the weather had been bad, things could have ended differently. That’s part of my plan, actually, to get some experience in bad weather and difficult tides and currents as well.” She added, cocking a hip and leaning back slightly. The Konti moved like a dancer or a martial artist with no excessive motions but a good command of her balance and an awareness of her surroundings. Ian would not she never truly focused on him exclusively but instead let her eyes roam every few seconds to take in what was happening around them.

“I’m willing to pay a fair wage, which is negotiable according to what the teacher might want or need. I’m a healer by trade so I can provide coin, services, or other more unique things depending. My only requirements is that the teacher be an experienced sailor and know about two hulled ships like mine.” Kavala said, not able to read the man’s body language enough to know if he were interested in one thing more than another.

“Ian, would you like to go look around the ship?”
Kavala said, gesturing at The Dreamcatcher invitingly. The ship wasn’t something she was territorial about, though she did value her privacy. If someone was going to teach her to sail The Dreamcatcher better, then he’d best be knowing what he was getting himself into. After she said that and gestured, the Konti set off for the ship, more than willing to let the conversation continue there where Ian could ask specific questions.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)