Completed [Antonius Training Grounds] Looking To the Future

Altos has first day of real training

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antonius Training Grounds] Looking To the Future

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on April 18th, 2014, 6:27 pm

ALTOS

5th Day of Spring, 6th Bell 514 AV

Altos strode into the training grounds at a brisk pace, it had taken him much longer to don the Plate armor than he had originally thought it would. The golden rays of the early morning sun had begun to peek over the edge of the far off horizon. There was still a chill in the air as winter had only just faded allowing spring to bud in it's place. Altos quickened his pace knowing that he was already late though not by much. The Training Grounds were sparsely populated this early in the morning though Squire's and Knights alike were slowly appearing as the chimes went by. Spotting Ser Logan Altos hastily made his way over to the Patron, his armor clanking loudly with every step, disturbing the peaceful atmosphere that the quiet training grounds exuded.

"Ser, I apologize for being late Ser" Altos took a moment to catch his breath, even the short jog had caused him to run out of breath.

"We Patrons are here to make you suitable Knights Altos, it is both part of your duty and out of respectfulness that you should strive to be on time."

Ser Logan spoke with a serious tone, however it was not harsh. The reprimand that Altos had recieved was by all means a gentle one, intende more as a warning than a punishment. Altos understood where his Patron was coming from, in fact he'd woken up earlier than he'd intended this morning and it still had not been enough to get here on time. He would have to wake even earlier which meant getting to sleep quite early, though he suspected that would be no problem as the training was almost garaunteed to push him to his limits. After letting his admonishment sit in Ser Logan continued.

"For these first few days I will be accomponying you until you have adjusted to your training schedule. However I do expect you to be able to manage your individual training without my supervision. Is that clear?"

"Yes Ser Logan, I understand" Altos' answer was prompt and he straightened as he acknowledged his Patron's words.

"Good. You'll begin by jogging a three mile run in full armor, every morning. This will increase your stamina and endurance. It will also help you to adjust to the armor faster."

Altos balked at the idea of so much running in the heavy metal armor. At least it would get done early enough that he wasn't cooking in the midday heat. Not too mention the noise. although being raised an Isur he'd spent days in the smithy so the clanging of steel was a sound he was accustomed to. Ser Logan continued with his description of what would know be Altos' daily routine.

"After you've finished the run you will have a few bells in which you may train whatever you feel necessary. When I arrive you will either spar with me, another squire or recieve other practical education I deem relevant. Today I will accompany you until you've finished training. Let's begin."
Ser Logan trotted over to one of the larger and more expansive areas designated for running. Altos let out a sigh as he followed his Patron. Today was just the first of the next few months or years of his life, and already he knew it was going to be a long and hard period of his life.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias
Squire of the Syliran Knights

Words: 54027
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 13th, 2014, 6:01 am

ALTOS

7th bell

Every breath of the chill morning air burned it's way down Altos' throat, his chest heaved as his lungs worked overtime trying to return his body to it's normal state. Within a few seconds that felt like hours Ser Logan trotted over. With the Knight approaching Altos attempted to stand normally but as he raised his head Altos saw Logan wave his hand with a look of pity that flashed across the mans face. Altos clenched his jaw as he recognized the emotion that flitted across his Patron's face. If he hadn't had to wear this petching armor he was sure he would have done much better but the suit was terribly heavy and impeded his movement.

"Take a deep breath in, and slowly let it out. It will help regulate your breathing after runs and you should try to do so while running as well. You will eventually get used to it, in time" The pity that Altos had thought he'd seen had disappeared from his Patron's face and all that could be seen now was the stern face of a teacher. It suddenly broke into Logan's soft gentle smile and with a chuckle as he attempted to console Altos, whose displeasure had apparently been evident. "It's something nearly every Knight has gone through at some point, so don't worry yourself over it too much."

Taking his Patron's advice Altos took a deep breath and held it in for a moment before letting it slowly escape his lungs. He repeated this a few times and he quickly started to recover from the burning feeling and it subsided to a mere prickling feeling in his throat that was gradually fading. Straightening himself Altos assumed a rigid posture and and a formal tone as he responded to his Patron.

"Yes sir, thank you for the advice." Altos stared past his Knight as he struggled to keep his emotions in check. It wasn't that he hated Ser Logan, nor was it even dislike. However, he'd always been like this. When it came to training he expected the best out of himself and when he didn't get it, well it just left him in a foul mood.

"Altos, there's no need to be so formal. Respect and formality are all well and good, but there is no need to treat this like an official ceremony or drill all the time. All I ask is that you learn the knowledge I seek to impart upon you. Now come it's about time we work on your martial skills." Without waiting for a response Ser Logan headed towards the area designated for one on one dueling at a brisk pace.

Caught off guard with the Knights comment Altos grimanced as Logan turned away from him and began walking away. He doubted he'd ever be able to do away with his habit of being overly formal, at least to those in positions above him or men worthy of respect. It was just another thing he would have to try work on and even though it had only been a few days since he'd arrived that list was steadily increasing. With a sigh he began trudging along behind Logan and merely hoped he'd do better during the rest of the day.
"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 13th, 2014, 5:23 pm

ALTOS

Quite a few other Knights and Squires could be seen around the training grounds even though it was still quite early in the morning. Some were sparring, others hacking away at the varied training posts scattered around the grounds. Ser Logan proceeded to one of the empty lots of space and acquired some practice gear for the two of them to use. As he approached Altos, his Knight's expression had a slight inquisitive look that he was beginning to recognize, it always seemed to appear just before the Patron would pose a question.

"Altos, are you interested in learning the sword? You already have some skill with the axe, enough that there is little I can teach you."

"My axe is a family heirloom, and it is the weapon I am most comfortable with." Altos pondered for a moment, learning how to wield a sword was probably not a bad idea, but he would still prefer to stick with his battleaxe."I think I shall focus on my axe work for now, though I wouldn't mind the occasional lesson in swordsmanship."

"That is a good decision. Understanding how to fight with a sword will help you against opponents who wield them. Knowledge can be a weapon in the right hand." Ser Logan gained a pensive look for a moment and handed Altos the training axe and shield he acquired earlier. [color=#00BF00]"Something important to think about, is your future within the Knights. You will have to learn our ranks and military structure, but aside from that there are many paths for you to take."

Altos absorbed his Patron's words as he slid the wooden shield onto his left arm, not that it was needed as his arm was better than any shield but he'd keep that a secret for now. His future within the Knights? It was not something Altos had even thought about yet. In his few days here he had noticed that the Knights did seem to have a degree of freedom and choice he had not thought there would be. In the first place what kind of options did he have? His look of confusion must have been noticed by the older Knight as he spoke up.

"You have time to think on it, a lot of time in fact. As you remain here longer you will learn more about what you'd like to do. You, Altos, may chose to teach Squires, enter a specific part of the city guard, join a scouting company or the Knights that patrol the bronze woods. Becoming a Mage-Knight is also an option." Altos grimaced and already he knew that he was not likely to learn any magic related skills anytime soon. Ser Logan took a step back and chuckled as he caught Altos reaction "There aren't many Mage-Knights, and it can be a useful skill so don't rule it out just yet. Now we should begin our spar, we have much to do today."

"Yes sir" Altos promptly replied with a grin which quickly replaced the grimace. Finally some real training was going to start. Altos lifted his shield to about waist height and gripped his axe tightly in his right hand. He spread his feet and took a low stance as he waited for his Patron Knight to signal a start to the fight. However, surprising Altos completely Logan had not yet taken a stance, instead he walked over and began examining the Squire.

"Hmm, your stance isn't horrible and it does speak of some training however you still do have quite a bit to improve on. First, properly position your feet. Footwork is important and you should always try to lead with your shield."

Altos placed his left foot forward and his body went slightly sideways. The shield now seemed to cover more of his body, and it also felt easier to bring it up to protect various angles.

"That's good, you make yourself less of a target in this stance, and it is easier to defend yourself as well. Second is your weapon hand, try to keep it raised instead of hanging by your side, every second counts in a fight and the time it takes you to bring up your axe may see you being gutted." After giving Altos one last cursory look, he decided that everything was now to his satisfaction. He returned to his original position across form Altos and settled into a similar stance of his own. "Let's begin"

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 14th, 2014, 5:16 am

ALTOS

Altos struck as soon as Ser Logan gave the word to start. The Knight was ust out of his reach so he took a step forward with his right foot and in the same motion swung his training axe down on his Patron's right shoulder. Altos in his haste to strike forgot to keep his shield up leaving quite the large opening for Logan to take advantage of. The Knight rather than taking the axe blow head on, used the shield on his own arm, a near exact copy of the one Altos was using, to brush the axe to the side and quickly brought his longsword up and pressed it into Altos' chest. After pausing for a moment so that Altos could fully realize his defeat he withdrew his blade.

"You weren't wrong in taking the initiative, especially when wielding an axe. They do not require much blade, work however they do require a different sense of combat. One which is much diffirent than sword fighting." Ser Logan, it seemed prefered a teaching method which involved a mixture of detailed explanation, and then a quick implementation of his lesson. "You must remember to use your shield as it will be what enables you to attack. The axe is made to deliver few bbut devastating blows, whereas the sword is made for constant slashing and finesse." The Knight settled back into a stance, the same one Altos had been taught. "Now come at me again."

"Ser!" Altos replied with a quick bark as he returned to his own stance. This time however he payed more attention to his shield, making sure it was held so that he could quickly adjust it's position, however he was taken off guard when Logan extended his arm almost quicker than he could follow. Altos stumbled back as he tried to recover his footing, the surprise of the blow and the force behind the sword was enough to make him take a full step back, at this point Logan was already on him again this time coming in for a slash aimed at Altos' left shoulder. Altos brought his shield up to smash away the sword seeing the imminent threat and as he did he saw his Patron's own shield rapidly approaching him. However with nothing he could do, the shield slammed into his chest and knocked him flat onto the ground.

Logan extended a hand for Altos who lay sprawled on the ground
"Remember that a shield can be just as effective a weapon as any blade." Pulling the young squire up with only the tiniest bit of effort on Ser Logans part was quite the feat considering the weight of the armor Altos currently wore. "Now again, and this time hopefully you can stand a tick longer" the older Knight grinned as he provoked Altos. Flushing he took a stance, and prepared to yet again clash with his Patron.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on May 14th, 2014, 5:30 am

Altos :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Running +2 XP
Weapon: Shield +2 XP
Weapon: Battleaxe +1 XP
Endurance +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Running: Breathing Control
Axe And Shield Combat: Proper Footing
Shield: Can Be Used As A Weapon

Loots
+4 Shield Points

Notes :
Congrats on your first training thread, Altos! I'll look forward to more of his shenanigans with his patron! :D

Enjoy your grades!

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)