Closed Mister, I'll Make a Man Out of You (Markus)

Let's get down to business

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Mister, I'll Make a Man Out of You (Markus)

Postby Orion Michaels on April 21st, 2014, 9:31 pm

35th Day of Spring, 514AV
Syliras Gates
8th Bell

Here he was, being left in the hand so of another stranger, another knight. Sometimes he felt like a child being passed around to be watched by a nanny. Although he was a full grown man, Dinah had a way of making him feel infantile. 'You will be the responsibility of Sergeant Knight Markus Andres,' she had said. 'You are to obey him while in his charge. Do not treat him like you would treat me, treat him much, much better. His word is your law.'

"Whatever you say, Dinah.."

He'd been instructed to have all of his gear packed up and ready to go morning of the 35th, though he hadn't been instructed just where he was going. It would be ten days that Dinah was away, and that meant ten days following the orders of a stranger. His own little armory, as well as his personal supplies were all loaded up on the mixed blood horse he'd been assigned from the Windmount Stables.

The squire was relieved to hear that it was only ten days; that wasn't nearly enough time to disappear into the woods like they had last season. It seemed that Sera Lorene had a desire to have him exposed to various knights towards the end of his training as a squire. The previous season had been one of adventures with Sera Alevadra Druva. It seemed that this season's excitement would come from one Ser Markus Andres. "Certainly not going to be as easy on the eyes," he muttered, lamenting his misfortune.

Blue eyes trailed skywards, looking up at the clear Spring day illuminated by Syna's rays. He'd been waiting no more than a dozen chimes in his place outside the gates. Around the 8th bell was the command, so he wasn't exactly impatient. Dinah had, however, made it seem that his time was going to be full of intense training, and that wasn't something he was looking forward to. In recent times Dinah had allowed Orion more control over his training, allowing him to develop what he felt he needed as a knight to be. Loathe to give up that control, the squire had voiced his displeasure but was quickly silenced. He knew when a topic was open for discussion, and it seemed he was to be trained at the whims of his new babysitter.

"At least it is not snowing."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Markus Andres on April 26th, 2014, 9:15 am

Why did I accept to help her... The sergeant mused to himself, had it been her female allure, or was it once more his eagerness to be of assistance that had put more food on the plate that was already dripping from the edges. Markus was a busy man, he had been promoted only a tenday ago, had met a new wing, had Ball to train, patrols, superiors to report to, learning a new language, training - sheer luck the plate had not broken under all the weight that he had piled on top of it. But she did outrank him, by a significant margin and although her request had seemed like a favour - he didn't doubt it would soon have been an order had he declined. The sergeant had spent a couple of bells thinking of something to do with the squire. After the accident with her he did not dare another spar. It had been a while since Markus had spent an extended period of time outside the walls. For ten days. Alone with a man in the wilderness...

Right~

Dinah had admitted that Orion could be a handful, even quite troublesome. Markus noted with a bit of annoyance that half the squires he had met recently was the way. Ball a top contender for the worst squire ever. But he recognized his own bias in this regard. Markus pushed aside his annoyance. He had prepared his supplies for an extended stay in the forests. Weapons, both ranged and close quarter had been packed. Simple weights as well. The Tiaden Warhorse, by the name Alluia stood patiently as Markus secured the last bits of supplies to her broad and powerful back.

"Orion Michaels..." The young sergeant mused to himself as he organized his equipment. Keeping the bow and quiver with arrows within easy reach from the saddle. Markus climbed on top of the horse, swung a leg over her muscled rear. His shield was attached to his back. Helmet hung near his right leg. Bastard blade and dagger on the left. He wore the armour of the knights with pride, the double-sword pin attached near his right shoulder. He thanked the page that had held on to the war horse for him as he had gotten up and then he was off. Riding towards the front gates, he might be a little late, but patience was a virtue. Near the front gates he saw another figure, unmarked by Sylir, but wearing the armour of the knights. With a horse with enough supplies for an extended trip. Markus wasn't a master investigator, but even he could put these two and two's together.

"Squire Michaels?" He would await some sort of confirmation from the man before he would continue. He noted the twin scars over his left eye, with that, the piercing blue eyes. Scars were common enough that Markus wasn't bothered by them, besides, he was sure there hid a interesting story behind those scars. "I am Sergeant Andres, you're bigger than I thought - I assume Sera Lorene has told you everything, so let us not waste time standing about and get going." The sergeant ordered. Pleasantries could wait for later. Markus was eager to get these ten days over with so he could resume to his ordinary duties and studies.
Last edited by Markus Andres on May 19th, 2014, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on April 30th, 2014, 3:06 am

The worst part about this..event..wasn't the fact that he had to leave the city once again. It really wasn't even the fact that he had to go through what was sure to be intense training. It was the fact that we leaving the city, going through intense training AND he was going to be alone with a man for the majority of it. It was surely Dinah's idea of a sick joke.

While waiting for a horrible next ten days to begin, Orion found himself nearly daydreaming as he waited. His trip during the winter had him eating such undesirable food that he pined for the slop they served at the dormitories. There was some joy to be found in the reality that hey wouldn't be travelling too far from civilization. Perhaps they would get to enjoy decent meals for a change. "Or maybe it'll be the same old shyke."

The squire glanced over when a voice called his name. The twin swords marking him as a Sergeant; Orion could assume that it was his temporary patron for the trip. He looked so young. Dinah hadn't warned him of that, but he supposed it made sense. She was only a few years his senior and held an advanced rank. "Ser Andres, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard that," he quipped. "Though it is the first time it's come from a man." He nodded at his superior's command. After giving his mount a once over, he decided all was well and set off after Markus.

The trip started silently, almost awkwardly so. Neither of the two men seemed terribly enthused about what lay before them. He wasn't going to be the first one to break their silence. He was supposed to behave, right? Well, it was his tongue that got him in trouble more than anything.

Orion gripped the reins of his mount, giving them a gentle squeeze to spur the the horse on wards. He gave a sideways glance at Markus. He had to have fair skill and a good control of people to hold his rank. The bulky armor he wore settled well on him; it seemed he wasn't one to skip his physical training regiment. That didn't bode well for an easy time over their time together.

I wonder why Dinah picked this guy? I could have worked with the weaponmasters for a few days rather than whatever this is...

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on May 3rd, 2014, 3:39 pm

The sergeant snorted and chuckled at the crude joke Orion made. At least the man had some humour - the proposed trip might not be as painfully unbearable after all. The squire did have an odd charm about him, a notion that made the blonde sergeant a bit uncomfortable. The squire also seemed older than Markus, by a fair margin. But he was still only a squire. There could be many reasons for that fact, perhaps he was a terrible warrior or had only recently joined the order. The squire was a fair rider, he noticed, but neither of them were doing any real complicated horse tricks, so perhaps he was a bit quick with that assumption. He did look like a warrior though, carried the armour with ease, had the facial scars to give him a more rugged look. He found the man intriguing enough to ask questions, but they had only just met and the situation was not ideal. Perhaps later, after their training by the campfire.

Markus was still getting used to his role as a sergeant knight, could he talk to squires in the same familiarity he had used to as a simple knight? Or did his new-found position of authority mean he had to keep a certain professional distance? Which made it harder for the social butterfly Markus considered himself. He had not yet found the sensible place to draw the line. It didn't help either, that he had many friends that were squires or knights where the line became murky. He would just have to take a careful approach to this particular problem. He turned in the saddle to look at Orion as they rode on. Riding was almost second nature to Markus, especially on this trot and the horse was familiar with him.

"Not at all curious about where we are going? Or what we will be doing?" He asked the squire. If Markus had been the one to follow a superior into the forest he would have been asking questions every other second. Demanding to know where they were going to sate his curiosity. Perhaps age had dulled the older man's curiosity or he had been in the position enough times to just accept his orders and not ask questions. They were headed east on the kabrin road. The road towards Zeltiva. The destination had not been set in stone, but he had a general idea of what they would be aiming for. A little more remote and with a decent possibility to set up camp near fresh water.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on May 12th, 2014, 12:16 am

It was good that the Sergeant Knight could laugh at his joke. There were so many knights that lost their sense of humor when the got promoted. It was all about justice this, honor this. Have one little public argument and suddenly they are all running to your patron and tattling on your 'conduct unbecoming a knight'. They were all so stuffy and pushy. Ser Andres appeared to be nothing like the higher ranking knights he'd met, however, and that was fortunate indeed. Still, the trepidation with which he seemed to regard Orion wasn't lost on the squire. Men tended to not be terribly comfortable around the former physican.

He was indeed curious about where they would be going. Who wouldn't be? Several days spent outside the walls with a stranger all alone? It was just a dream come true. "I'm quite interested in what we have ahead of us, Ser." He nodded, adjusting his position in the saddle. The mixed blood was cooperative, but he couldn't get comfortable with it's gait. "My patron instructed me to be on my best behavior," he said, grinning. "Turns out the more I talk, the less likely that is to occur."

Orion felt silent for a moment, regarding his superior with raised eyebrows. "All Dinah...er..all that Sera Lorene told me was that you would be training me in ways outside her expertise. I'm not entirely sure what that meant, so care to enlighten me?" He frowned, looking ahead the on the path. He wasn't sure how long they would be writing, but there was nothing to complain about. "Her singing voice is horrible, so I can only assume that's it. Are we heading out to the woods that we can charm the woodland creatures like the damsel in some children's story?" He chuckled and grasped the reins a litle tighter, urging his horse on a little faster. "Don't mind me. Just getting a feel for this guy here."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on May 19th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Markus pondered a little if the squire always were so chatty. If so, the two might have to compete about who got to speak the most about everything and about nothing. But he was getting ahead of himself, he could not engage the squire in a man to man talk, he was a sergeant for petch's sake. Had to keep a bit of distance to the younger man, even if he was being rather charismatic. Though he couldn't wipe the small smile from his lips as he looked at the squire and him putting a faster pace. He gave him a shrug in response. As he contemplated the simple truth Orion had revealed to him: the more he spoke the more he spoke his actual mind? Markus supposed that meant he should just let the squire talk and sooner or later his true colours would reveal themselves.

"Just don't wear him out. Got a decent ride ahead of us. We are going to the brow." The name was technically Sylir's brow, but Markus had always simply referred to it as the brow. Made it simpler. "Singing? No, I am afraid not, but if you want to charm the woodland critters to our camp - might make it easier to catch breakfast." The response came soon after with another shrug. "I considered not telling you until we got there, but I figured I would give you the chance to chicken out and ride away - We are going to be doing hard physical training. I am talking running, lifting weights, climbings trees, running up the brow and endurance training. Aren't you looking forward to it, Michaels? Ten days where your body will feel alive!" There was an undeniable tone of excitement in Markus' tone of voice. It was actually sounding like a splendid idea to him now. Ten days of harsh physical training. Exactly what he needed to cool down and settle his mind after becoming a sergeant only a tenday earlier. Precisely the small excursion he needed away from any too demanding decisions other than keeping Orion safe. Although Markus could see the man was no stranger to physical training. Even with all the armour, he carried it with ease. Markus attention turned to the road again as he rode in a calm trot. Keeping a hand on the reins and the other rested softly on his left thigh. Part of it against the Bastard that hung from his hip. He wondered if the young squire would be heart broken that he would not be getting singing lessons from the young sergeant. Though it was for the best that Markus didn't teach the old squire how to sing. Markus wouldn't have much to talk about. Still wanting to pump the squire for information, but that would have to wait for later.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on July 12th, 2014, 12:32 am

"The Brow?" It came out almost involuntarily; his inquiry was meant to be a thought. The squire felt stupid having asked it, assuming it was something he should have known. Unfortunately, the words escaped his lips before he could stop it. The place name stirred a vague memory, but nothing came to the forefront of his mind. "Should be good," he said, trying to play it off as though he knew where they were going."[/b]

The thought of hunting for food didn't appeal to him. The last time he'd gone savaging through these woods he'd ran into a Symenstra, though Orion knew it not by that name. Elegant, pale, eerily beautiful; it had been a surreal experience, one that was over before it began.

The corner of his lips tugged into a smirk. Work out? By the Gods, Dinah didn't think she'd worked him enough? He could outrun most of the squires and knights he'd come across, and neither was he lacking in strength. Sending him off into the woods to train with this man seemed an oddity, but who was he to complain? "She really asked you to come with you for this?" he didn't mean the question to be rude, even if it came across as such. "I might be a squire, but I assure you I can hold my own in that regard...except maybe climbing," he admitted, sheepishly. Nothing he'd done had called for such shenanigans. "And here I thought we were just going for romantic strolls through the forest."

There would, of course, be no such thing. Ser Andres was sure to run Orion into the ground. Dinah would send Orion off to relax. No, she only pushed him more and more. He was at the precipice of falling into the Knighthood, and she wasn't going to pull on the reins. Orion was almost there, and she'd hoped that the training and discipline which Markus could give would help push him over the edge.

"It should be an interesting ten days, if nothing else."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on September 15th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Markus wondered briefly if the squire had a problem with the brow, even if he did, that didn't matter much to Markus. The squire followed up and Markus was a little more relieved that the squire at least could fake his enthusiasm and play along. Sooner or later that facade, if it was one, would crack under the pressure that Markus would put him under. He was actually looking forward to this exercise more than his regular ones with Ball. A human he could relate to, Ball, not so much. The monstrosity between his legs demanded his attention and Markus gave it to her, straightened her path so that she didn't venture into the undergrowth too soon, else their trip would take several bells longer if they left the road. Lots of adventures had been wasted trudging through the undergrowth trying to find their way aimlessly. Markus would not make that mistake, not when he had to spend ten days out here with a squire who was under his protection. Even if he did sound a little arrogant as he explained he could hold his own. Markus did not doubt that, the squire seemed to be able to carry himself with a certain strength and even through the masking clothes, Markus could see that there was a good core of strength. If Markus was not careful, it was him who would be taught a thing or two about training.

"Climbing?" Markus asked a little incredolous. What a weird thing to mention. Why would a knight climb anything beyond a horse in full armour? Perhaps the walls of a city, like those around Sahova... Markus conceded the point to his own mind and figured a little climbing experience wouldn't hurt. Perhaps the training to his arms and balance would do wonders. The climbing itself still seemed like a waste - unless. Markus got a mischievous smile on his face.

"Sorry to disappoint, but you're just not my type. And don't forget you're talking to a superior, squire." He spoke with a sharp edge to the last few words. Markus focused on his horse. Feeling the motions of her body under him. Ensuring that there were no injuries or sore muscles that made her gait uneven. He was by far an expert in such things. Still he concentrated. Attempted to train himself better as a rider. Besides, he did not want to get too familiar with the squire, not so soon. The man needed discipline and training. Not a friend in him. It was important he managed to keep that distinct difference between personal and professional life.

"Ten days of fresh air and a little healthy exercise to keep the blood flowing, it is important. Tell me about yourself, Michaels." It would be a couple of bells on the Kabrin road to Zeltiva, and then on a dusty worn path through the forest for a few bells before they'd have to dismount and walk their horses with them. A fine little journey, at least he'd get the feel for Orion's level of patience - and his view of himself and past.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on November 15th, 2014, 4:14 am

The longer he was on the horse, the more he actually looked forward to the physical exhaustion that Ser Andres would be putting him through. He hated riding horses. It felt unnatural, and even though he'd gained a modicum of talent in the art, he couldn't stand it. "How long until we get to The Brow?" The faster he could tether the beast to a tree, the better.

"Yeah, climbing. Haven't done much of that since I was a child." Well, not in the traditional sense. He'd done his share of climbing in his life, but that didn't prepare him for scaling walls or pulling himself up a tree. "Sounds like that wasn't on the training plan though, huh? All that Dinah...er...Sera Lorene told me was that I'd be getting worked out. I guess I assumed." The squire adjusted himself atop his saddle, frowning as he did so. "Sometimes I wish they didn't require us to train in riding. I've lost track of the times I've been put on my rear."

The sudden sternness in Markus' voice wasn't lot on Orion. He'd heard the same tone from Dinah when he'd become too personal, too friendly. Eventually Dinah had relented, as long as he behaved around others in the order. That took seasons of effort to break her - a few days with this Sergeant Knight would likely been too little to make such an adjustment. "Forgive me, Ser," he said, paying the requisite lip service. He hoped that the slight bite of annoyance would be missed by his superior.

Orion didn't mind the small talk - he knew it was just to pass the time - though he wondered if he could ask the same of Ser Andres. "A bit about myself?" Not a topic he was accustomed to speaking on. Despite all the talking he did, Orion was often careful to give no information about himself directly. "Well, I was born and raised in Syliras," he began, deciding it was safe enough. "My father was a doctor, and he trained me a bit in that discipline." A partial truth. His father had wholly expected that he follow in his footsteps. "I ended up wandering around the city a bit, working a variety of jobs until Dinah sought me out and recruited me into the order."

So many important details were purposely omitted. "That's a bit on my history, but I'm curious, Ser. What have you heard about me? Most people seem to have an opinion on me before we've even met. Can I count you among them?"

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets