[Sanctuary Beach] Of Truths Both New And Old (Ora)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on September 19th, 2010, 6:08 am

ImageTimestamp: 21th of Fall, 510 AV - Sunset
Purpose: Social & Skill Development

The giant stallion looked black in the sunset while the falling of Syna into the sea painted his pale mane and tail in the reds and golds of the sky. The truth was he was a Seme and his coat was chocolate brown and his flowing mane and tail were in truth almost white. Sivak, or so the konti on his back called him, paced evenly in an enormous circle on the beach beneath the cliffs that housed the Riverfall facility called Sanctuary. The stallions head was tucked forward, neck arched while taught but not cruel reins kept his head in that position attached firmly to a surcingle that looked a great deal like a yvas. The surcingle wrapped around his great barrel and was cushioned by a thick fur pad that also supported the weight of a slim konti woman that was astride him - standing. No. Dancing. The woman's joy as tangible as expressed by her body as she neatly balanced up top the horse as he cantered in a slow methodical pace.

In distant lands the act would be called vaulting. Here in Riverfall though, there was no such names for what the Konti practiced. She worked on her balance, the control of her horse even though her hands never touched the reins. She leaned forward, pushing herself up on her hands, thrusting her feet into the sky - balancing on her hands in a handstand on the carefully pacing horse. Then neatly she folded down into the saddle and slipped off, landing on her feet in a dismount and stretching while the horse continued to canter around her. She eyed his stride, picked her timing carefully, and stepped almost into his pathway as he crossed her position again and reached out to catch at his surcingle. The sheer force of the horse passing by flung her off her feet and she used that energy to propel herself up onto his back gracefully.

"Good boy... very good boy..."
She praised at the sweating stallion as he continued his workout. His ears flicked around him, interested, sometimes focused on the konti, sometimes on the beach and the wind and the sand. His eyes looked out around him and though he sweated fiercely, he didn't seem fatigued. Again the Konti swung up to her feet, balancing neatly on his back. She rode a complete circle like that, balancing, and letting the big horse work himself until she gently brought him to a half halt that turned into a gentle walk with the sound of a soft 'Woah... easy boy... lets walk." The stallion blew quietly, clearing his nostrils and taking deep breaths of air. Meanwhile the Konti worked through a routine of stretching on his back that looked more like the warm up to a dance than actual physical training.

With the stallion now slowed to a walk and the beach not whirling by at a dizzying speed, Kavala had time to look around. It was then she noticed with a start she wasn't alone on the beach. Another Konti had joined them... one she didn't recognize. And though she was cautious, a smile still appeared on her face. "Greetings... I didn't see you there. Are we disturbing your peace?" She asked, worried that shed' be bothering someone.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ora Sa'vina on September 19th, 2010, 6:56 am

Ora had spent a great deal of her short life and energy devoted to dancing. While the woman had practiced and observed others dancing, the Konti found herself staring, knee deep in the cold water of the sea. A Konti rode on the back of a large deep brown stallion, she not so much rode as stood. Ora had never seen anyone do this before, the small Konti found herself worrying of the Sister's well being.

While violet eyes watched, her mind whirlled, so many questions rose to the front of her mind. "Who is she? How is she doing that?" and most of all "Could she teach me?" Even if the woman could not teach her, or worse, did not desire to, Ora could observe and learn from what she saw.

The water around Ora's knees lapped up around her, trying to pull her in. Her dress was soaked, as was her short white hair, which clung to her face. The young Konti had spent her evening after work in the ocean, dancing more. While she taught dance to strangers, she still found it hard not to continue, especially with being so close to the sea. Dancing in or through water was the closest to home the Konti could be.

A smile had crept across Ora's face whilst watching the strange, stunning woman. A smile which quickly faded as her cheeks flushed. The woman spoke to her; and Ora had been staring. Ora knew that she was not to stare at others, but such a display! How could Ora not stare?

"N-No." Ora spoke in Kontinese, she had neither seen nor spoken to a sister in a long while, it was a refreshing occurrence. "Not at all. I was quite enjoying your," Ora paused a moment before continuing. "Performance." Ora's smile returned and slowly trudged out of the sea. "How," Ora paused again as her small pale feet pressed into the cool, wet sand. "How did you do that? It was amazing."
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Words: 157067
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 2:18 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on September 20th, 2010, 4:18 am

ImageKavala lifted an eyebrow, laughed softly though it was more of a self-conscious laugh, and slid down from the big stallions back. She unsnapped the side reins and left the stallion's head free and then twisted the leather up into the surcingle. She seemingly turned the stallion loose without actually removing the gear with a soft "go relax" and a gentle nudge to his shoulder then turned back to the konti standing half in and half out of the water.

"If you can ride you can dance. If you can dance you can ride. I was raised on the Sea of Grass among the Drykas where my mother answered her Call. It's a game we play with horses as children, to teach ourselves balance and to help them learn balance when someone is shifting their weight all over them. If you aren't afraid of your horse, its nothing at all." Kavala said loud enough for her voice to carry over the water. Her Kontinese wasn't perfect. It had a tilt to it that sounded more like Pavi than a true Muran accent. But her words were perfectly clear and her expression was open.

"I'm Kavala. I run The Sanctuary up on the hill. It's a boarding breeding and training stable as well as an animal and kelvic hospital. I haven't seen you here before. May I have the pleasure of an introduction?"
The Konti said with a smile, waiting at the edge of the water. Her leather riding pants made the waves unfriendly to her form in that particular instant or else she would have waded out to greet the white sister standing so amazed in a pose that completely revealed how acutely the Konti were children of two worlds - half of the sea and half of the land.

Kavala noted Ora's beauty, her grace, and her familiarity with the sea. She truthfully enjoyed the company of other Konti and was glad to see one here - even if she was a stranger.

"I'll even introduce you to Sivak. He flirts with strange Konti like he flirts with strange mares. Just pretend you aren't flattered even if he does flatter you with his attention. He gets a swelled head whenever he thinks hes earned an admirer."
Kavala said playfully just as the big stallion scattered a flock of seagulls much like a dog would well down the beach.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ora Sa'vina on September 22nd, 2010, 6:11 pm

"If you can ride, you can dance. If you can dance, you can ride." Was it really that simple? A smile crossed Ora's face, she had met a Drykas before, he was a nice fellow, she remembered the stories of festivals that they held. "Even if it is not its own performance, it was quite a delight to watch." The young Konti bowed her head slightly. "You were raised among the Drykas? Did you go to the festivals? I have heard about them, they sound amazing." Even with the woman's strange sounding accent, hearing Kontinese again was a treat. It had been a long time sense Ora had seen another of race let alone heard the language from another.

"It is lovely to meet you, Kavala. I am Iaila Cailvhas." Her white head bobbed slightly as she bowed her head. The young woman was getting sick of hear her own lies slip from her mouth. Ora took a few more steps closer to the new woman, her feet pressing into the sand, leaving her impression, only to be faded by a slow wave. "You run the Sanctuary? I think someone had mentioned that to me, isn't that were the Nakivak live?"

Violet eyes moved from the friendly, refreshing figure of Kavala over to the wandering horse. Sivak seemed to enjoy being free as he scared off a group of seagulls, such a simple joy. With a small nod and smile, Ora's attention turned back to Kavala as she spoke. "I would love that, Kavala. I will try not to make him too confident in his prowess." The young woman laughed quietly, as she glanced over at the stallion.
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on September 22nd, 2010, 6:30 pm

ImageKavala watched people. She watched them because unlike other Konti, she rarely understood them. Animals were easier and that was the direction her Konti gift took her. But people were still interesting. And this Konti was definitely sad - regretful maybe - about something, Kavala thought, though she had no understanding of what. "Iaila is a beautiful name. Nice to meet you as well. Come on out of the waves. I'll share some bread and wine with you, and you can come meet Sivak. And yes, I've been to some of the festivals. Pavilions gather from all over the Sea of Grass at Endrykas to host various events throughout the year. I miss them sometimes, though I don't miss living with the Drykas. Not after being on Mura and then here. Here is definitely home. The Konti should always be by or in the sea. And not a Grassland big enough to mimic one." Kavala said, then tilted her head at Iaila's words. She smiled slightly, lifted up her right wrist so the thick bracelet encircling it could be seen, and nodded. She did so as she lead Iaila over to a rock outcropping where a yvas pack was stashed holding the said items. She withdrew a wineskin and a oil cloth that wrapped up two large chunks of fresh bread. It was her lunch, but she'd gladly share it. Two apples also appeared, one had been for her and one for Sivak, but she was sure the big stallion wouldn't miss the snack. There were more up top the hill on trees that were ripening faster than people could harvest them.

"Well, not exactly where the Nakivak live. They live all over Riverfall. Sanctuary just has one. Me. I was stupid and got caught returning to the grass. They trip-wired my stallion and we went down. I woke up in a slaver's wagon-cage that was headed to the Zith filled with 'food' for them. An Akalak raiding party struck two weeks later and I ended up here. They gave me an old factory to turn into anything I wanted too... so now they have a boarding stables and animal hospital... and I'm a Nakivak. I don't mind it so much though. I've come to discover there is a lot to love about Riverfall and the Akalak. They are extraordinary. In a few years I'll have paid back the money I owe them for the land and buildings, and hopefully I'll have made a difference here. Our 'Calls' are strange things. This was mine. Someone has to help these Akalak. They too closely guard their secrets and suffer a slow decline in silence."
Kavala said, offering her one of the apples and sitting down to bite into the bread. She was hungry and knew the best way to reassure a stranger was to both feed them and talk to them. Plus.. it was another konti.

Kavala smiled. She missed her fellow sisters at times. Having more of them around was never a bad thing.

"So what about you? What brings you to Riverfall? Are you on Call?"
Kavala asked curiously.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ora Sa'vina on September 28th, 2010, 1:53 am

The young wet Konti slowly trudged her way out of the waves, her feet finally escaping the pulling waves. Small footprints were left across the sand as Ora walked towards Kavala. The small impressions in the sand were only there for a moment before the waters pulled them back into its depths. Ora moved close to the woman, smiling at her sister, her offer of bread and wine was an enticing one, the last time she had wine was with a charming, but odd, fellow in Syliras, with any luck this would prove to be equally as enjoyable.

Ora wished to hear more about the festivals, about Kavala’s life, the Konti was curious and wished to know people, to understand why they are the way they are. The small woman smiled and listened intently to Kavala’s synopsis of the festivals, perhaps she had no desire to speak of her childhood, if that was the case; Ora had no intention to make her sister uncomfortable.

“I would greatly appreciate something to eat, I hadn’t realized it, but once you mentioned bread and wine my stomach made itself present.” A small smile crossed the woman’s face as she pushed some wet strands across her cheek and away from her eyes.

Violet eyes watched Kavala’s horse as the couple walked over the sand. “The Konti should always be by or in the sea.” Ora could not agree enough with Kavala’s words; a smile grew over her pale face as violet eyes shifted from horse to rider. “I agree, it was so hard to be in Syliras for a season, freshwater will never be able to replace saltwater, it is such a joy to be close to Laviku again.” The way the Konti spoke, the way she said her Gods name sounded much like a young child idolizing their parent.

Ora sat down next to the outcropping rock on the soft, cool sand, gladly taking the hunk of bread, which she slowly nibbled upon while Kavala spoke. Ora knew nothing of slavers or Zith, and almost equally little of the Akalak. “Zith?” Ora blinked after the woman spoke. “Once you have paid them back, will you still be a Nakivak?” The woman was confused when it came to the Nakivak, unsure if the women stay around the children once their born, or if the child is simply born then removed from the mother’s sight.

Ora also accepted the apple that was handed to her, but she set it to her side while she continued to work on her piece of bread. ‘So this is her call… Could this be my call as well?’ Ora thought to herself as she slowly chewed a large mouthful of bread. The Konti wished to find what it was that she was drawn to, after she found her father, would she remain here? Or would she leave? The young Konti was slightly startled by Kavala’s questions.

“Why am I here?” Violet eyes blink almost a dozen times before Ora could form a coherent sentence “My call… I’m trying to find something, I suppose.” Not entirely a lie, but also not entirely truth. “I do not know what draws me so strongly from Mura yet, I hope to find it soon though.” A small smile rose over her face as violet eyes returned to the sea. “Thank you, it is so nice to see one of my sisters again, I have missed them so greatly as of late.”
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on September 28th, 2010, 7:43 pm

ImageThe company was unexpected and incredibly pleasant as Kavala settled on the stone and nibbled her own small feast. They'd have to pass the wineskin between them, but that was usual among friends. Kavala made sure it was within Ora's reach and thought a moment about her question.

"The zith are evil creatures. Winged, feral, and cannibalistic. They use slaves for both pleasure and food. Humans... a life form I consider to be capable of great evil, have taken to capturing other humans and selling them to the Zith even knowing what will happen to them. Sometimes they pay in coin, sometimes in gold, sometimes in secrets. They look human, these zith, but you can always tell them by their grey coloration, the soft fur on their bodies, and their enormous black wings that look like bats." Kavala said softly. "I've never seen one except in the distance. But my sister lived with them for a year and experienced horror no woman should have ever witnessed or been subject too first hand. She lives here now. And she's not a Nakivak. She saved herself." Kavala added, in case the woman was curious.

"I am not sure of that question - perhaps they will release me. I'd like to think they will. If they will not, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Once you are something, there is always a part of you that is always that something. I will always be Drykas and speak Kontinese with a Pavi accent, even though I am not among them nor do I plan to ever live there again. I came here under horrible circumstances, but those circumstances were the fertile soil my body and mind needed to start growing. I will always be a Nakivak in one way or another. There is no shame in it. Just as there is no shame in being Drykas, Konti, or a healer. I serve an Akalak and bear his child, but I also hold his heart in my hands as he holds mine. I wear a Chavas Mark to prove it. Servitude can be a very happy thing. So too can life. It can be equally dark though. It all depends on how you view it and the way in which you approach it." Kavala said softly, a little smile on her face.

"We are closely linked - us Konti and the Akalak. It seems impossible on the surface, but when you look deeper it is so true. You can feel the interwoven lines of heritage that move between us. Many Konti come here looking for their fathers. The men gift them to their mothers not understanding that we can be raised by both and in balance. The mothers who bear Akalak children often hand them to their fathers and depart, not thinking they have anything to offer a boy. It is the wrong way to think though, even if it is understandable. Mura is a female society. Riverfall is a male society. They are used to things being as they are, even though they don't need to stay that way. I will be here and raise my son or daughter, and hopefully bear many more. The Akalak are dying as a race, slowly, because they cannot reproduce for themselves. And it would be a crime too see their beauty and power fade from the world forever." Kavala said softly, thoughtfully, as if she had been thinking and puzzling over the problem forever.

"But there is more here for me than that - than having children. There is a lot more here for other Konti as well who have no thoughts for reproduction. Riverfall is a big place with lots of opportunity. They actually need skills Konti bring. I know I do. We're starting something here, something important, that we are going to need a great deal of help with."
Kavala left it at that, not wanting to tell the stranger everything before she got to know her a bit better.

"If you need help finding what you are looking for, don't hesitate to ask. We... help people that need it. Almost anyone here in Riverfall will. Just be ware of the Akalak with Tattooed faces. They have some issues and are best avoided. There aren't many of them and you'll not see them much. But they are around."
Kavala said with a smile, biting into her apple.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ora Sa'vina on October 4th, 2010, 2:40 pm

The young Konti listened intently as Kavala spoke, explaining what the Zith were. Ora found it hard to continuing eating while the woman spoke, the thought of people being sold to one another as food and pleasure made her stomach turn and twist. The description of these evil creatures were something out of a nightmare, a creature with large wings, gray, furry, skin. How terrifying! Poor Kavala! Poor Sister! Ora frowned slightly, her eyes moving from the kind woman back to the half eaten chunk of bread.

"I am glad you did not see such a horrible demise. It is good to hear that your sister survived, I hope she is doing well, such horrors she must have endured," Ora paused, her brows knitting together as she tried to imagine what horrors one could endure before losing ones self. The young Konti shifted slightly on the sand, turning to look at Kavala with a slight smile, picking up the wineskin for a sip before plugging the spout with its cork, setting it next to Kavala.

The woman perched on the stone continued to answer the questions Ora asked. The younger Konti did not wish to unsettle Kavala, she was simply curious. The way Kavala spoke of being a Nakivak seemed like less of an obligation and more as something she would have done willingly even if she was not put in the position that almost required it. The younger Konti finished her piece of bread as the other continued to speak, moving on to talk of the Drykas. "I serve an Akalak and bear his child, but I also hold his heart in my hands as he holds mine." Ora blinked a few times at that statement. Did she love him? Ora could not see how Kavala could not love a man whom was the father of her unborn child. Ora said nothing to Kavala, just returned the small smile and nodded her head in agreement. Life could be a dark thing, it also could be a great joy. It was entirely up to the individual to make what they wish from their existence.

"Many Konti come here looking for their fathers." Ora froze, her back stiffening, violet eyes moving quickly away from Kavala's gaze to the waves that called to the two women. "Does she know why I am here? Does she know who I am? How could she? No one here knows, except that man." Ora relaxed as Kavala continued to speak, her topic moving along the same vein, but not as close to why Ora was truly here. "You will stay? Does the father," Ora glanced to Kavala's belly. "Agree with this?" Ora asked, her fingers finding the skin again, taking a sip to settle her still tingling nerves.

"We're starting something here?" Ora's head tilted slightly as she stood up, dusting the sand from her legs, only to spread it around further than she intended. "Skills that we have? Like our gifts? Our Suvai?" Ora was curious, and she was prodding. With a frown and small bow of her head the young Konti apologized. "I am sorry, I am prying." The woman smiled softly, setting herself down on a small section of the rock which Kavala perched upon.

"If you need help finding what you are looking for, don't hesitate to ask." Ora blinked, her fingers feeling the smooth skin of the apple. "I would greatly appreciate some help," "But I do not wish to ask for it." "I am... Unsure if I am able to, though. I would fear for your safety as well as that of your child." Ora smiled slightly, she was saying too much. "Forgive my strange words, do not hold them in your thoughts for long, it was foolish for me to speak of."

The young woman stood up, taking a bite from the apple. "How long have you had Sivak? He's a beautiful horse." Ora smiled at the large creature who continued to play and terrorize the birds and other wildlife that resided on the beach.
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on October 24th, 2010, 2:35 am

ImageKavala was a very open person. She didn't guard secrets well, nor did she hold her tongue when one probably shouldn't need to be held. Ora's questions weren't unwelcome. Not at all. They were just strange to answer because the truth was most of the people she surrounded herself with lived her life with her and so such a sharing wasn't necessary. It was strange to talk about her life in terms of history. Sometimes she felt she was still very much living it and it was current. Even the nightmare parts.

Kavala smiled. "Yes, of course. The Akalaks aren't monsters, Ora. They are very special men. He'll keep us all a family. Always. Would you like to meet him sometime? You are not prying. You are just curious. I understand that. The Akalak have a very odd reputation, one I assure you is not deserved. I think it would be fair to them to have someone who thinks of them thusly - as slavers or keepers of broodmares - think about what they'd do in their very unique situation, and then talk to those supposed slaves and broodmares. Most of us are very happy. I was given a business, a life, a purpose here. There aren't that many other places in the world where you can find similar gifts." Kavala said softly. "And I wasn't forced into it. No one really is. Not like you think." She added. Kavala just wished more young Konti were called to Riverfall. Many came here, but for some reason very few of them stayed.

In fact, she thought most of it was fear. And that made her sad. Her people, the Konti, shouldn't fear being here. They were embraced upon their arrival, normally. "People should not fear so much. Especially our people. We are armed with the tools to make the world not such a scary place if we know how to use them." Kavala said softly.

Kavala smiled. "I'd be glad to help if I can. Don't worry for my safety. My child will be fine as well. Us Konti and those of us raised Drykas, are stronger than we seem." She said softly. "Now, tell me what you need, sister. I'll do what I can to make sure we see it through. I'd be glad to assist. I know others that would too. No debt involved. That's part of what we are starting here. A network to assist people." Kavala said softly, breaking off a piece of the bread and chewing it thoughtfully.

"Sivak is from Endrykas. I've had him about five seasons. He's one of four stallions I work with at Sanctuary. He sires our bigger bloodlines. The Akalak appreciate larger horses for obvious reasons."
Kavala smiled then, laughing slightly at something she was thinking. "It took someone knowledgable in horses to introduce them to the draft and how beneficial they can actually be for all their size. Crosses with drafts produce large highly mobile horses that are perfect for the Akalak. I'd like to think Sanctuary being here has changed things. For the better too..." She added.

"If you need a place to stay, we've lots of room and lots of Konti company."
She added, deciding to take care of that first and foremost. "No charge.. we have the space so long as you help out with chores. Even if your renting a place, its easier on the coin purse." She offered.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on December 13th, 2010, 7:47 am

ooc: After all this time, I'm considering this a dropped thread. PM me if you have any wish to continue in the future. If not, good luck with your. I might turn it in for XP at some point.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next