Solo Paws and Tails

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Paws and Tails

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 6th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Spring 89th, 514 AV

Spirit’s first patient of the day was with a pair of adults she recognized. They were… second aunt and uncles? Thirds? She couldn’t remember if the male of the pair was her Uncle’s cousin, or her father’s second cousin. She knew two people, very similar in that way, but she could never remember which was which. What she did know, however, was that this one was quite into their own animals. The woman had several rabbits, which the last creature –a dog- remarkably got along with. There had never been an incident that she’d heard of.

“Hello!” she greeted the two, faintly pulling out names from her memory. Quinn and… Sh… Shey? It was a little amusing, as both names could possibly fit for both genders. However, it was the man –Quinn- who grabbed her attention next. “Hello Spirit!” he replied in equally good humor. “We’ve come about Shell here… she’s been limping.” He frowned in concern, resting a light hand on the dog’s back. It was a common breed, the same as Wind, actually… a Zypherian Sled Dog. They were popular in Avanthal for their simple robustness, as well as their practicality.

“A limp?” she replied, a little concerned. To see for herself, she stood a little ways back and called to the dog with a pat on her knee. “Come Shell!” The canine seemed barely able to restrain her joy at meeting a friend again. All the times that Spirit had visited the family recently, she’d always spent quite a bit of time with this dog. She was simply so happy and willing and open that everyone had to love her.

The dog didn’t seem to be in pain, but the difference in her gait compared to any other animal was obvious. It was hard to see from a forward angle, though, what the problem was… she’d have to try again from another direction. However, before that, she crouched down to be at height with Shell, and greeted the dog in a more friendly way. There was snuffling and cuddling, for about fifteen ticks, until Spirit deemed it time to actually get to work.

She pushed herself up, and addressed Quinn again. “Is it possible you could lead her back and forth a bit? So I can see how the limp works, and which side it’s on.” The man nodded in agreement, and called Shell back to him. Together, the pair walked in short stretches, turning a full circle each time to head back in the opposite direction. Spirit had never quite done something like this before, but she just had to find the leg that was causing the limp. Find a difference in gait, and try and compare it to her memory of other dogs moving.

It took quite a while, considering her inexperience, but after looking at the front legs, and the hip and knee of the back legs without any too obvious flaw, she found one at the paw. On the left hind leg, Shell’s paw slipped back every step, dragging a little. Either it was the paw that hurt, or… she was simply having trouble with another part? The way you dragged a foot when you knee or ankle hurt, because your didn’t want to move anything.

“Okay,” she said hesitantly, raising a hand to tell Quinn to stop. He did so, and conveniently led Shell forward. “I think it’s this leg,” she explained, resting a hand on the stated limb. “But… I’m not sure what part it is. I’m just going to check for any physical differences…”

That was partially a lie. If she did find anything, great. However… her actual tactic was different. She’d poke and prod, and watch Shell’s face for any kind of reaction. If someone poked a bruise or an injury, anyone would want to shy away and grimace. You didn’t want any more pain. You also… stiffened, right? She’d have to watch out for that too. And when she found something? Well… she’d have to wait. Maybe ask Lusina. All she could think of to do, after diagnosing this… would be to prescribe some kind of medication. Pain reliever, probably… poppy was the thing in it. She wasn’t any kind of a herbalist, but she did sometimes pay attention to the labels on bottles.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Paws and Tails

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 6th, 2014, 9:48 pm

She rested one hand on the dog’s leg, the other on her back, and kept an eye on Shell’s expression. Spirit gave a half smile as the dog looked at her with a confused expression, then focused more on her job. Carefully, delicately, she ran her hand over the area, feeling mostly over the joints… as that was where most pain generally was. If it was a simply a bruise on a random place, there wouldn’t have been any limping. While she did so, she began asking questions.

“Has she done anything particularly strenuous recently? When did this start?” If she could place the cause, it might help her work out what had happened.

“Well, she went out to help fill out a place in a dog sled team for a few days… one of their other dogs had retired, and they needed someone to take that spot until they could find a permanent replacement. Shell always enjoys pulling sleds, and this was no different. When she came back… she had this limp. We expected it to go away, and waited a few days, but it got no better.”

“I didn’t want her to go… she’s getting old now, and she’s had less energy than usual. But when we brought her to the sled, she was just so excited…” This was put in by Shey, who sighed quietly as she considered the decision.

Spirit nodded in understanding, feeling sorry for the pair. It was always sad to see a dog grow old… they just didn’t seem to live as long as humans did. She was in the same boat with Wind, but he had quite a few years on Shell. Still, it was remarkably surprising that he hadn’t hurt himself, or fallen sick, or… anything. He’d been in perfect health, just more… tired. And that might have been the saddest of it all. She didn’t want to see the day where he simply didn’t wake up… but it was coming.

“Was there any kind of limp before this? Maybe a minor injury, that has gotten worse?”

“I don’t think so. We wouldn’t have let her go on the trip without being in perfect health.”

”As long as you don’t count old age as a health problem.”

Spirit giggled a little at the joke, then frowned in concentration. Did she have any other questions? Shell had been perfectly fine beforehand, gone on a strenuous trip, and come back with a limp. One did occur, but it was the last on her list, and not incredibly important. “Did the sled driver say anything?” It probably wouldn’t tell her anything she didn’t know, but there was no use not trying. Anyways, if the Vantha hadn’t said anything… it would tell her a lot about that person’s character. Namely, they shouldn’t have been trusted with dogs.

“Yea… he told us that on about the last day, she started running funny and messing up the pace a little. He didn’t want to stop though, so kept going, and it turned out she had a limp.” Quinn sounded a little grumpy at this, and the Vet had to agree with him. In her opinion, the man should have stopped the moment he saw a dog was in trouble, not kept pushing on. You didn’t keep running a dog that was having problems. She scowled in response, dissatisfied.

“That may have made it worse,” she commented a little flatly.

”I know.”

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Paws and Tails

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 7th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Over the course of the conversation, she’d felt almost every inch of Shell’s leg. Spirit hadn’t, of course, been paying attention the entire time… so if she hadn’t seen anything, she’d probably just missed it. However, she had. Right below the dog’s knee, when she squeezed a little, Shell gave a pathetic look, and stiffened. The second time the Vantha tried, the canine even shuffled away a little. It was obvious that part was paining her.

She took a mental note of what that part of the leg felt like, and tested it on the other side. Of course, there was no such reaction compared to earlier. However… that area had more… physicality to it. It felt like there was bone or muscle underneath it. The injured leg, however, had felt like… nothing. There’d been extra skin there, under the knee, but no extra feeling of muscle. Confused at this, she frowned, and muttered to herself.

“Okay… so… that’s probably bad.” She’d apparently been overheard, as there was an instant question from Quinn. ”What’s bad?” he demanded, voice tense with worry. Spirit simply mused over the injury, trying to find in her mind the possibilities. Sadly, there were none. She’d have to ask Lusina instead…

“Shell’s leg. The place where it hurts, it feels like something’s… missing. And where the sort of empty space is, I think there’s muscle on the other side of her leg.” The Vantha sighed, then pushed herself up. “I don’t quite know what to say about it. I’ll have to get Lusina…” She turned, gave a quick wave, and dashed off to find her mentor.

The woman was in the main stables area, scolding a young groom fiercely. The kid simply grinned at all her criticism, nodding his head and assuring his boss that he would do better next time. He seemed unfazed by the whole event… something Spirit was impressed by. She’d only been on the bad side of trouble once or twice, and she’d taken it meekly… and never done anything to irritate Lusina again. It wasn’t that the woman was mean or anything, it was just that she cared a lot for every horse and caribou in their care. She didn’t want them hurt by an unknowing groom.

“Lusina?” she called, when the conversation seemed to be coming to an end. The older Vantha turned quite rapidly, frowned, then smiled at the appearance of the younger Vet. “Spirit! Nice to see you. Did you need anything?” Usually when Spirit came to Lusina on the job, it was to ask for advice or help on a certain case. Today was no different.

“Yes… there’s a dog that went through a particular strain, and have a limp… and I’ve noticed a certain place is causing them pain. On the good leg, it feels like there’s muscle, or maybe a thin bone. On the hurt leg, though, there’s… nothing. It starts again a little bit after, but I didn’t poke around too much, since it seemed to hurt Shell a lot…” She sighed and shrugged. If she gave an explanation like this, Lusina could quite normally diagnose it.

“Front or back leg? Are they an old dog? Did the strain include running?” As expected, a barrage of questions came. Spirit did her best to answer them, and it ended with the older woman nodding in understanding. “The dog probably pulled a tendon... or completely ripped it. This can be a minor setback, or a very big one. I’ll have to see for myself.”

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Paws and Tails

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 7th, 2014, 12:27 pm

They set off at a fast walk, and quickly returned to where Quinn and Shey were standing around nervously. There were a few quick greetings, but the head groom set her eyes on Shell, who was currently wagging her tail at the newcomer. A few quiet moments later, where Lusina felt around and whispered soft words to the dog, the woman stood up with a serious frown on her face.

”’I’d give you bad news and good news, though I’m not quite sure what the good news would be. The bad news… she’s completely ripped a tendon, which is the cause of the limp. It’s the one right below the knee. It’s fully ripped apart, so when a normal muscle would simply heal… this one wont.” She paused, sighed, and continued.

”The worse news –yes, there is worse news- is… we can’t do anything about it. I’m not too familiar on the powers of those marked by Rak’keli, but… they’re probably the only ones who can do anything. You’d need them to basically magically knit the tendon back together. On top of that, if it goes along like this too long… the bone will start grating against bone, and things will get… worse.”

Shey looked sad, and Quinn winced. Shell sat around looking at everyone in a confused way, wondering why they were all depressed. In order to comfort herself and the dog, Spirit crouched down and began softly petting Shell. ”So we can just… look for one of the marked Whitevines, and see if they can do anything?” Quinn asked, voice a mixture of concern and irritation. Lusina nodded in reply.

”Spirit, I think you can handle the rest of this?” the head groom asked, eyeing her assistant. The younger Vet nodded. ”Alright, then I’ll take my leave. Hopefully we can find a solution to this…” She gave an apologetic smile, and returned to the horses and caribiou, leaving the trio alone.

“So…” Spirit began, wondering where to start. “If you do find a way to heal her, that’s great. But she’ll need a lot of rest, and don’t ever let her pull a sled again. Try and limit running too. You want to put off the degrading effects as much as possible.” She paused, then remembered the medication she’d come up with. Poppy, right, grown by the Winterflames. They basically produced all the food and herbs the city could need… which was an impressive feat.

She puttered off to find the shelf of medications, and eventually found one of a collection of jars labeled ‘milk of the poppy’. She never quite understood the ‘milk of’ part, and why a liquid came from a flower… but she let it pass. She was more knowledgeable with things with brains and paws, not leaves and petals. The label on the side explained the correct dosage for different ailments… on a human scale.

“Here, take this. Give her a little under the recommended dosage for joint pain… it should still things. It might make her sleepy, though. Whatever you do… don’t overdose. A little more, if she’s having a bad day… but too much can kill. They use this to put dogs to sleep, you know.” By ‘sleep’, she meant more than just a night’s rest. The kind of rest you never wake up from. Spirit gave a weak smile, and passed off the jar to Quinn, who took it gingerly.

” “Thank you,” he muttered, then moved forward to hug his niece, in an indirect way. Shey did the same, and they led the confused, limping, but still happy Shell away and off to their own home.

OOCThis is based off something my own dog is going through... though she can have surgery :) So Spirit's observations are things I've seen myself.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Paws and Tails

Postby Ablation on May 14th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Spirit :
Experience:
    Deduction +3
    Medicine +4
    Observation +5
    Socialization +4

Lores:
    Importance of Patient History
    Importance of Touching an Injury
    The Feel of a Ripped Tendon
    Socialization: Recognizing patients

Notes:
This is great! I think it is the best thread I have ever read of yours. Shows Spirit coming into her professional role while still maintaining her classic naivety.

Please don't be afraid to PM me with any questions ^-^ and please don't forget to remove your grading request from the list to keep My office spick and span.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Words: 276726
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office