Completed [Syliran Archives] Common Knowledge for Knights

Lessons in the Archive

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliran Archives] Common Knowledge for Knights

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 15th, 2014, 5:12 am

ALTOS

8th Day of Spring, 514 AV

The Second Tier hallways in the Dyres District seemed to be lit better than the Squire Dormitories, that or Altos was just tricking himself into thinking that accomadations for the Knights were much better than his current place of residence. Not that he minded the squire dormitories all that much. The lack of a view of the sky was to be honest comforting for him, while it was definitely awe inspiring and a beautiful sight, it was also unsettling. After having grown up underneath a mountain too have so much open space above one's head, the thought alone made him shudder a little. Then again he'd much rather be out in the training grounds under the sky than taking lessons in the archives. While he didn't mind reading, his native tongue was Isurian and it was still difficult for him to read the common language.

Quickening his stride Altos hurried along to the Archives, even though it was his first time traversing these particular halls he did not fear getting lost and so his steps were filled with confidence. His people were born with a well-developed sense of direction, on account of living under a pile of rock, not too mention the directions he'd recieved had been fairly simple and specific. Altos had already been late once for a training session with his Patron and he was hoping to avoid making it a habit, then again he wasn't wearing the Rhysol damned armor that he was expected to wear during his martial, instead clothed in what was once a white shirt, that had been slightly discolored with age and use, a dark rough brown pair of pants that had seen just as much use and simple leather shoes.

The silence that accompinied his steps was a nice change. The clanking of metal on stone had echoed along the halls and had served to create a ringing in Altos' ears that he was most definitely not fond of. However he would not admit such a thing, least of all not too another Isur, as most spent quite a bit of their childhood in a family smithy. The sound of metal being worked could almost be considered a type of music as they plied there craft creating stunning pieces of work that few other smiths could rival. It was a source of pride for his people and for Altos, it was among the things that he missed most about life in Sultros.

As he rounded the next corner his reminiscent thoughts were cut short as he'd reached the entrance to the Archives. Resigning himself to the prospect of spending the next few bells in absolute boredom he opened the door and stepped into the small room. He wasn't sure what he'd been expecting but the scene before his eyes was definitely not it, nestled in a corner of the room was a desk with a middle-aged Knight scribbling notes in one of several books that lay on the desk. What was more surprising was the two fully armored Knights who seemed to be on some sort of guard duty. He hesitated a moment not sure how he should proceed when the man seated at the desk glanced upwards noticing him.

"First time is it, eh? Visiting the Archives that is. Well if you could give me your name to record, and I assume your a relatively new Squire"

The man was straight forward and spoke quickly but clearly. He had obviously seemed to have gone through this particular situation many times.

"Ah, yes Ser I am Altos Ironheart, and your guess is correct."

Altos answered promptly, the Knight seemed to want to waste as little time on this as possible and that was by all means fine with him.

"The rules here are simple, keep noise to a minimum and do try not to disturb any one while they're working. If you require a seminar room for personal use you will have to book it ahead of time."

The scratching of his inkpen accompanied the man's voice and as he spoke he paid little attention to Altos, instead returning to his work. After a moment of silence Altos assumed the man had nothing else to say and so he continued on through the door into the Archives.
"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias
Squire of the Syliran Knights

Words: 54027
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 16th, 2014, 8:14 am

ALTOS

The Archives themselves were an impressive sight to behold, for Altos had not excpected to find such a hidden trove of knowledge held by the Knights. Though perhaps calling it hidden was an overstatement. He truly realized for the first time that the Knights were not just a military organization, they were a ruling power, one that had truly devoted itself to it's ideals. It was a vast concept and he doubted if he would ever grasp the true concept of what that meant. As if to solidify what he'd just learned several Knights of ages both old and young were seated and studying tomes or even writing and copying others. The only sound in the room was the scratching of pens across pages and the occasional noise of parchment rubbing on parchment as a page was turned. In it's own way this was probably among the most shocking of events that had occured to him upon arriving in Syliras and joining the order. A hand clasped Altos' shoulder causing him to jump in shock. So engrossed in his thoughts, he'd not been paying attention to his surroundings.

"Sorry if I frightened you Altos, although judging from your reaction you did not excpect what you've seen here have you?"

Ser Logan's hand left Altos' shoulder as he turned and faced his Patron. The man, like Altos, was wearing plain clothes like Altos although his were of a much better quality. He should probably head into the civilian part of the city seeing as he was in dire need of a new wardrobe however, he was not yet familiar with the layout of the city and was hesitant to head out on his own. As he caught Logan's eyes he recognized a gfaint light of amusment in them and wondered if he it was because he'd scared him, or that he'd been so surprised by the Archives.

"No, Ser I di..."

With a wave of his hand Ser Meyers cut him off and a look of exasperation crossed his face. With a sigh he gave Altos a chastisement the young squire did not expect.

"You need not always be so formal with me boy, I would prefer it if you would speak your mind. If you are too formal, too reserved, you may not ask the questions that need answering."

It was such an odd statement to hear, especially in the midst of such a militaristic order, regardless of the state of it's library. Altos was stunned for a moment, although if he thought about it, from the few times they'd trained so far Ser Loagn seemed to revel in teaching and spreading his knowledge to the young Squire. Still, the statement remained odd after all what were the wuestions that needed answereing anyway? He was saved from making a response as Ser Logan mad a pointed observation.

"Perhaps we should put this on hold till we are in the seminar room. We are making quite the fuss and are likely to earn some cross looks if we continue"

Altos flushed as he peeked over his shoulder and noticed some of the irritated looks that had been thrown their way. Ser Otryn had warned him earlier not to disturb anyone and it seemed that he should take that warning with utmost sincerity, after all only Knights could use the Archives and so each and every one of the people in this room was quite competently trained in warfare and combat. Nodding in aqgreement to his Patron's suggestion he followed him around the simple yet inticately carved tables to one of the doors lining the sides of the room.

The seminar room was a fair size. It appeared to be able to hold quite a few Knights or Squires, for lessons of a nature he knew not. Following what seemed to be now a prevelant style for the Knights, utility over aesthetics, the room was quite plain. It had an ssortment of chairs along with a few small tables. The furniture was azll kept to the back of the room allowing for the the user's of the rooms to arrange it how they'd like or use only what they need. Logan walked over to the rear of the room and grabbed a small table which he carried to an open spot in the room.

"Altos would you mind grabbing the chairs."

After a moment of shuffling and awkward movement, the chairs were in place. Altos took a seat expecting his Patron to do the same however he remained standing. Gazing up at the older Knight, he had a rare moment in which he could really examine the man. He'd taken little time to do so in the past few days and it was only now that his curiosity was being stoked. He was obviously older than Altos, at least that was what he assumed. His face was weathered with both experience and age, though he was obviously not yet old enough for his body to begin failing him. Altos had learned that from the painful martial lessons he was taught. It was his eyes though that would catch the attention of those he spoke too. He seemed to focus on the distance quite often as if he would lose himself in his thoughts. It could be disconcerting when it happened, as it was now.

"Umm... Logan? Ser?"

In an effort to catch his attention Altos attempted to be less formal as his Patron had requested. It seemed to do the trick as, logan seemed to come back to himself. Adopting the soft eyes and gentle smile that was ever present when he was not in his little 'trances' he slid his gaze over to the young smile and with an apologetic tone he answered him.

"Apologies, I was lost in thought for a moment as a certian.. conundrum struck me. You speak with an accent and so I assume that this language is not your native one? And so it brought me to wonder, are you able to read Common?"

A grimance emerged on Altos' face, for it was something he'd been contemplating on his way to the Archives. He could read the Isurian runes that had been the primary source of written word in Sultros, his common on the other hand was not quite so well. He'd had little chance to learn, and even if he'd had Altos would most likely have brushed it off as unimportant. He was regreting it now that Ser Logan posed the question for he did not like anything that would make him seem less in the Patron's eyes. Worse was the possibilty that the Knights may not even want him if he could not read, though the possibility was slim fear seems to have a way of working it's way into the mind.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 19th, 2014, 6:11 am

ALTOS

"Well.. umm... no Ser, I.. uh well when it comes to Isurian script I can read quite well... however.. common, is another matter."

Altos hung his head in shame. Internally he berated himself for this was another shortcoming in his eyes and he'd had far too many of those lately. He had left home to better himself in a world that was new and no longer familiar, but all he'd done so far was make a fool of himself. Patience, he told himself. Such were the teaching's of Izurdin. Have Patience, for in Patience you will find Strength in both body and mind. This mantra had been taught to him by his father and he often found himself using it to regain his composure. Repeatedly clenching and unclenching his fists Altos struggled to reign in his anger. It was not often that he allowed himself to reach such a critical state, the pressure of his first few days after joining the Knights must have finally reached breaking point. Before he could make any sort of action, Ser Logan continued in his usual tone as if this fact was of little consequence.

"Well, not to worry. I expected as much, in fact many of the Knights cannot read. Although I do recommend taking upon yourself to learn."

Logan's advice was sound, the idea that there was more he must practice on top of his physical training was nearly enough to send Altos into a pit of despair. Ser Logan did say it was only recommended though so for the time being he could probably just shove the topic to the side for later.

"How much do you know about the founding of our Order?"

Logan finally took his seat, and rested his arms on the table. He openly awaited Altos' answer. For most of his life he had been secluded living in the mountain home of the Isur. While he had heard the common rumors and tales concerning the Knights they had been the sort of wild stories told in taverns. From Knights who had faced down dark gods themselves and heroic acts of legend. However the common thread that wove all of them together was their singular drive for peace. That was the extent of his knowledge of the Knights.

"Not much, if truth be told. Only the passing rumors in taverns."

A terse nod was the reply that he received to his admission of ignorance. It seemed the Knight had not expected much more than that, if he had expected anything at all. Shuffling in his chair Altos was beginning to feel awkward. The room was quite a size, and with the two of them sitting at an empty table, it only magnified the odd atmosphere. Altos glanced around the room as if trying to find something interesting to look at. The silence seemed to stretch on forever and Ser Logan had once again drifted off into his far off world. Altos waited a few more chimes but as it seemed his Patron had no intention of continuing he tentatively broke the silence.

"Umm... Ser? Are we going to.. continue with the lesson.. or did you have something else in mind?"

The older Knight came back to reality and he gave Altos a quizzical look. A cloud of confusion seemed to cover his face as he considered the question. It took a few moments but comprehension dawned on his face as he came to a realization.

"Ah, I apologize. I must have forgotten to mention that I offered to open this lesson to several other Squires. My fellow Knights were quite enthused with the offer, especially the less... scholarly of my comrades. We are currently waiting for them to arrive."

A chuckle escaped Logans lips. He must've been remembering the reactions of the other Knights and had found some humor in it. Now that Altos was aware of the situation he was quite content to sit and wait in silence for the arrival of the other younger men and women who would be joining them. A thought struck Altos, he had been placing Ser Logan and the other Knights on such a high pedestal that he had forgotten that they too were only mere mortals like himself. It helped to alleviate the remaining bit of his bad temper, and even smiled to himself as he imagined what kind of reaction could make his Patron chuckle at the memory of it.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 19th, 2014, 6:25 am

ALTOS

They did not have to wait long as a few chimes later Squires began to trickle in. They came in groups of one or two until about nine of them had gathered in the room. Most wore similar outfits to Altos however a few were dressed in fancier wear. They had most likely come from wealthier families within the city Altos surmised. A few scattered greetings and introductions went around the small group before Ser Logan stood up and began directing them.

"Altos, if you would please return the table to it's original place. The rest of you may grab a chair and arrange yourselves surrounding me."

Not a single Squire uttered a word of complaint. They'd all gotten use to being ordered around and knew that complaints only served to earn the Knight's ire. The table was slightly awkward to carry however it was small and relatively light so it took him only a few moments to place it against the wall and rushh back to his seat. As soon as he'd taken his seat, Ser Logan began to ask questions of the Squire's. They were mostly the same ones that he'd asked Altos before the rest arrived.

"Your all aware of what the Syliran Knights stand for I assume. We stand for the ideals of the great Sylir. God of Peace and Civilization."

At this a few of the Squires shuffled awkwardly. It was widely known that Sylir had fallen in the Valterrian, in fact while the Knights followed his creed and held the god in high regards, they did not devote themselves to him. At least not in worship.

"It is from this god that the great Windoak was created. The Windoak is the symbol of our order. The symbol around which our strength gathers, and it is the source of great wisdom."

At this Altos was confused. The windoak was a tree was it not? The fact that a tree could provide wisdom was a little odd and far-fetched but he supposed if Ser Logan believed it then it was viable.

"The original Order was founded around this tree by two brothers. Can anyone here tell me there names?"

For a moment there was only silence among the Squires. No one wanted to display their ignorance by asking Ser Logan who it was. They were saved by one of the younger Squires. He appeared to be around 15 years of age which for an Isur was quite young, however he was human. He was one of the few dressed in expensive livery. He stood up and with a look one might consider arrogance answered the question.

"The Dyre's, Ser. They were the Dyre brother's."

With a smug smile the Squire waited for the praise he thought he deserved. His Patrons response almost had Altos burst into a small fit of chuckling as the young boy was gently accosted by the elder Knight. With a gentle grin Logan cut through the boy's arrogance in what could only be called a subtle manner.

"Well, I was hoping for something more specific than an entire Family, but I suppose that will do."

The Squire flushed and sat down in a rush as if to make himself invisible. A couple of the other Squires chuckled but a few sharp looks from Ser Logan silenced them. Altos was beginning to see that Logan fitted the role of teacher quite well and wondered if he'd perhaps once been in such a position.

"Now then, let's continue."
"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on June 11th, 2014, 8:36 pm

ALTOS

"Lawrence and Leon Dyre's. These are the two men whom the Knights owe there existence too. Them and a Konti woman by the name of Nila. Now the Konti, if you're not already aware have a special gift. It is said she dreamed of our great city of Syliras and brought the brother's to the Windoak."

This Windoak seemed to be coming up repeatedly. Altos had of course seen it's symbol borne on nearly every banner, shield and tapestry he'd seen. It was a symbol of such great reverence to the Knights that approaching it was off limits. Such protection was being given to a mere tree. It all seemed rather odd to him.

"Ser, might I ask why the tree is the symbol of the Syliran Order?"

As soon as the word's left his mouth he nearly regretted them. Many of the Squire's sitting around him gave scathing looks, others merely portrayed astonishment. Blood rushed to his face under their glare. They must've grown up in Syliras. To the Squire's who'd shown up this must have been more like a refresher than an actual lesson. However Altos was new to this city. He barely even knew how to get from one place to the other much less it's history.

"You may Altos. It is said that during the Valterrian when Sylir was slain, his blood seeped through their world and into ours. From that blood sprang forth the Windoak resembling hope and growth. While it is a pretty story it is not quite the truth, though it is close enough."

The answer left Altos questioning more than he'd had before he'd even asked the question. A tree growing from blood which had come from another world. Surely it was a mere wive's tale. Even Ser Logan had called it a story. Yet in the same breath he'd hinted at something far more. His brow furrowed Altos attempted to divine what his Patron had meant but his efforts ended in twisting speculations. A quick glance to the Squire's arrayed around him revealed a puzzled look on all their faces. A smirk graced his face for the haughty looks that had been sent his way were now one's of confusion.

"You shall learn upon becoming a Knight what the Windoak truly is to us and our people. For now content yourself with the knowledge that we are Knights who fight for the protection of Syliras and it's people. We shall uphold our Justice for the sake of Peace and Civilization. You are Knights in training. And the Windoak is our symbol, it is what drives us."

Whatever else it was the Windoak was such a thing that it drove Ser Logan to a passion he had not yet seen from the man. Could he devote himself to this Justice? To Syliras? He may not have been sure before entering the room, but he knew now. All questions he might have would be answered in time. It was here that he'd begun to feel a semblance of a home. Somewhere he belonged. For as much as he'd loved Sultros, Altos had never belonged there. He sent a quick prayer to Izurdin thanking him for the Strength which had carried him this far. He sent another prayer quickly along it's heels. One for Patience which would carry him through the rest of this day and lesson.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on June 13th, 2014, 8:41 am

Altos :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +3 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Organization +1 XP
History +2 XP
Philosophy +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
History Of Syliran Knights
Sylir: God Of Peace And Civilization

Loots
+4 Shield Points

Notes :
I always love academic threads, they are not boring! :D Those who said academic threads are boring shall be taught to change their stance! :angry:

Oh a note, it is "Dyres", not "Dyre's". :)

Enjoy your grades! :D

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)