Completed The Evening's Entertainment [Aoren]

The caravan stops for the evening and prepares for a well earned rest.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

The Evening's Entertainment [Aoren]

Postby Nightmare on October 8th, 2014, 3:07 am

All was quiet in the wildlands as the day transitioned into night. Not so much at a caravan camp in the Wildlands in Sylira. The crowd cheered at the exchange of blows and the store of beer was tapped into at the behest of the Caravan's leader. Those gathered about were making a time for themselves and all were in high spirits. All the while the guards were keeping a watchful eye over their surroundings. Those experienced fellows knew that danger lurked beyond and did not partake in the entertainment. Ancient, new, knowable and not, mundane and magical things that sought the enmity and death of the good folks seeking passage through their lands.

Stars winked into being as the fight wore on. More and more they relied on the great fires built for cooking and light. Haurence's blade glinted and flashed as he slipped it back and made for a thrust. Staves were decent at blocking slashing attacks and such, but a good stab was a bit harder. Whether the magically blunted blade made its mark or not the man was already working on his next attack.

He stepped nimbly to the side, and dug the point of his toe into the ground to turn, pulling out his sword to make a rather risky maneuver. He spun a near 360 degrees, his sword out and gaining momentum in the spin. It was quick but left his back vulnerable for precious few seconds. Additionally it was obviously telegraphed, but should the blade meet flesh it would send said flesh flying in the opposite direction.

Of course, this sort of flamboyant display was exactly what the crowd wanted. The flourish was met with another cheer and was met with another chorus, of suggestions. However, not all of them were for Haurence. The staunch defender had a few of his own. Things such as, "You can do it!", or "Show that Merc who's boss!" Or even, and this was perhaps not so much a suggestion as it was a comment from one onlooker to another, "See? Quarterstaves are a decent weapon, and if you get smacked in the head it can crack your skull!"

And so the fight continued, and so the crowd gleefully and good naturedly watched. Theovan of course kept a close eye on Haurence's feet, who were coming close to the circle.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aoren on October 19th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Seeing that his small gambit failed, the attempt at knocking the mercenary off balance with a miscalculated jab to the shoulder, Aoren was forced to adapt quickly. He loosened his grip on his quarterstaff so that he could drop down into a crouch. The blade struck his staff nearly sending it careening from his grip but he managed to grasp onto it tightly enough to simply have it fall over making it parallel to his body. The blade swung harmlessly over Aoren’s head though he felt the whoosh of the wind that accompanied the whirlwind maneuver. It rustled his hair slightly.

Aoren’s adrenaline was beginning to kick in. It had been a good amount of time since he had engaged in a decent spar. This was turning out to be more heated than he had anticipated. He was glad of the fact that he had taken the time to do a small warm up otherwise he wouldn’t have been nearly as limber. However, he was faced with a multitude of problems in this particular duel. The quarterstaff was very good at deflecting slashes made at the body from a moderate amount of distance. The problem that came when he engaged in close quarter combat was that he was vulnerable to forward lunges and stabbing attacks. Such techniques were difficult to parry and while Aoren was not unskilled with staves he was by no means skilled enough to knock aside such tactics with the speed and efficiency that would be required.

My best bet is to get him at two arm’s lengths away. I’ll have to put some distance between us but this guy is a hard charger.

From his crouched stance Aoren jut his quarterstaff outward swinging it in a wide arc aimed at the mercenary’s ankles. He had no intention of taking advantage of knocking the man into a supine position. It was just a maneuver to allow Aoren to get the distance he needed between the two of them to use his weapon to its greatest efficacy. With Haurence in mid-spin Aoren had a good amount of hope that the strike would work.

Regardless, once he sent his strike out he quickly withdrew his quarterstaff and bounded to the right jumping to his feet. Aoren immediately took up a more offensive stance. Readying himself for a counter-strike he brought up his staff bracing the palm of one hand against the butt end propelling it forward to jab at Haurence. He aimed at the mercenary’s gut intending to wind him and perhaps gain a raucous sheer from their growing audience in gaining a point of sorts in their small bout. The Drykas man smirked at Haurence awaiting his next attack. So far, Aoren felt he had gotten lucky but it wouldn’t be long before his luck ran out.

NoteSorry if that is a little haphazard. I'm getting back into the swing of writing combat style stuffs...>.>
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nightmare on May 21st, 2015, 10:55 pm

"To Arms!" Came a sound in the distance, interrupting the mock fight. "Guards! To the trees!" Haurence immediately stopped and looked to treeline which meant he got a prompt jab to the gut. Unfortunately that also meant that his rear went over the line as he fell backwards. "Oi, good job. I would love to go another round, but I think you've got me. Here take this." He smiled and fished a pouch from his gear and threw a pouch to his opponent. "Maybe we can do this again some other time." Without a further word he trotted off, rubbing his gut from the impact of the shielded weapon, his own sword's shield still glimmering to any aurist's eye. Lucky that no potential intruder or monster would have Aoren's specific djed signature.

Theovan sidled up to Aoren with a faintly greasy smile, "A shame, it was getting good. You sure know how to handle yourself with that staff. You know, I here there is a staff to the north that might be pretty useful for a wizard like yourself." He winked, proving to be an aurist himself. "With your fighting skills, it would be in good hands." He watched impassively to where the guards were running. "I would go after it myself, but I am the sort of guy who would rather keep his skin than risk it for some old myth."

As Theovan spoke there was a puff of fire as something, perhaps magical exploded upward in a great plume. "Oh gods above. I guess I better go help out. Don't worry about that, by the way" He tilted his head to the battle. "We go through this nearly every time we come this way. Though... the fire is new." He chuckled as he ran off to go attend to the battle."

In the end the bandits, whom apparently acquired a rather second rate wizard, were defeated and the only a single person was injured. The people of the caravan settled into their evening under the protective gaze of their guards, firm in their knowledge that they would handle the dangers of the wilderness.

Aoren

Skills Amount
Land Navigation +1
Weapon: Quater staff +3
Endurance +1
Body building +1
Meditation +2
Acrobatics +1
Tactics +4
Gambling +1
Socilization +1
Auristics +2
Planning +4

Lore
Haurence: Guard of the Caravan
Theovan: Mage, Shielder and Aurist.
Rumor: Wizard's staff in north Sylira?
Quarterstaff: Technique through Balance, Flexibility and precision
Isur: Enjoy wrestling
Auristics: An experienced wizard's aura
Auristics: Shielding's deformation of an aura
Auristics: A professional mercenary's aura
Shielding: Warding a weapon for sparring
Quarterstaff: Pros and cons of the Quarterstaff
Quarterstaff: Mid to long range weapon

Loot

Inside the pouch is a soft bound leather journal. The title on the inside cover is "Just Stay Home". Perhaps Haurence is trying to say something?
+10 Silver Miza
+1 Oversized pouch

That was a lot of fun, sorry about the long delay and then cutting the thread short. When you come back and if you ever want to thread again, we can do a more dynamic quest involving the rumor I gave you. Enjoy your loot, lore and skill points!

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous