Completed [Great Bazaar] Search for Seeds

Altos buys the seeds for Isana and makes a few stops along the way

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Great Bazaar] Search for Seeds

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 26th, 2014, 10:14 pm

ALTOS

72nd Day of Spring, 514 AV
12th Bell

Crowds of people flowed through the busiest space in Syliras. The indoor bazaar that was held in Syliras' lower tier was many of the residents only connection to the world outside of Syliras making it a popular attraction on one's day off. Vendors came from cities all over Mizahar and hawked their wares in the underground market. The clash of style's that came with the mix of culture's added a stark contrast to the atmosphere. Accompanied by the accent's of both men and women who'd the Bazaar was probably not only the busiest but also the noisiest place in the city.

It had taken a few chime's after Altos had arrived for him to adjust to the change from the relatively quiet halls of the city. People haggled at price's to his left and right while other's wandered by booth's giving only passing glances. He tentatively took a few steps as if to broach this new experience slowly. Instead he was swept up in the tide of movement and before he even realized it he'd passed by more booths than he'd seen when he entered. He had a moment of panic which quickly subsided into acceptance of his situation. He'd hope for an opening in which he could break free of the crowd.

It had taken him almost a bell to get to the dormitories and back. He'd dropped off the stiletto in the room he and Bitt shared, tucking it away in the chest. Altos had also grabbed a couple of Miza's of his own. He'd figured if he was heading into the Bazaar why not be prepared. Altos fingered the two Miza's resting in his pocket which Isana had given him. She had wanted some seeds or such. He recalled that she'd asked for seeds of a plant that grew in the Sea of Grass. Sh'e also asked him about the purpose of the stiletto.

The purpose of a weapon is to kill. If one where going to be specific, the stiletto was meant to be used for stabbing. In his eye's that was the extent of it's purpose. In fact Altos' own personal preference was that anything that completed it's task and did it with utmost efficiency was fulfilling it's purpose. Of course some of the more scholarly minds might look for reasons or meaning beyond what really is. The idea struck Altos of foolish. What was the point of looking for meaning in such little and inconsequential things.

If her question was supposed to have been less literal it had completely not occurred to Altos. Giving up on the topic, he instead considered how he would break it to Isana that she may never have her stiletto returned if she abide'd by allowing Altos to keep it until he understood what she had meant.

"Beautifully crafted wares! Brought all de way from da the far expanses o' Kalea! Home of de leg'ndary Isurian craftsman!"

Kalea, Isurian these words stuck in Altos' mind. A trace of longing for his old home filled him. Curiosity propelling him he pushed his way through the people. His only clue to the location of the table was the man's voice as he called out hoping to interest passing buyer's. Finally after struggling through the crowd he came upon his desired location. Before him lay a table with an array of metal and wooden trinkets. Some where of obviously better craftsmanship than others but none seemed to have the feel of Isurian workmanship. While they were not shoddy in any way, few displayed the quality of workmanship he'd grew up around in Sultros.

"Well 'ello there. I mus' say I din't 'spect to see an Isur today, no sir."

The man's eyes darted from Altos' arm to his face as he spoke. He plastered a grin on his face that was quite friendly. Though he wasn't sure if he made that effort for the sake of it, or the more likely reason of making a sale.

"What could I be doin fer you?"

Altos wasn't quite sure yet. His eyes drifted over mishmash of pendants, rings, and other trinkets. If he decided to take the time to polish his smithing he felt he could probably make wares that were better, if not the equal of what he saw here. However he was a Squire. Blacksmithing while a pursuit he would love to spend time on was not one of his current priorities. Drifting from one item to the next he considered if he should make a purchase.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias
Squire of the Syliran Knights

Words: 54027
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 27th, 2014, 1:55 am

ALTOS

The man at the booth was worn and in physically good condition. Fitting enough for a man who had traveled from Kalea. Travel in Mizahar was tough, and quite difficult. In fact unless you were traveling in a caravan for most people it was nigh on impossible. This was aptly displayed as the man had his share of scars visible here and there.

"I'd like a reminder of home. It's many days since I left Sultros, and I have not the time to make something myself."

With a knowing look the man nodded along. He had probably been on the road for a long time. Memories of home were something that nearly all people cherished. Well, it was that or the man was just trying to make a sale and was more than good at his job.

"If'n I might make a suggestion? Why not try this?"

It was a simple pendant that the salesman offered. It was made of simple metal, nothing extravagant, no jewels or intricate pieces. In the center of the pendant an hammer was striking an anvil. It was surrounded by an interweaving pattern of lines. It was simple plain and it was pleasing to his eyes. Sensing that he was on the brink of buying it the salesman offered one last up-sale.

"Da anvil and 'ammer obviously represent smithing and craftin' but do ya know o' da meanin' behind de interweavin' design? Some people's like to say dat it represents eternal patience for tis without beginning nor end. I believe dat is one o' da virtue's of Izurdin, is it not?"

The sale's pitch was an obvious one. So obvious in fact that for a moment Altos considered not buying it. It almost felt like the man was trying to force him into the purchase. After a moment's deliberation he decided on buying it. Regardless of how pushy the man was being he did indeed like the pendant, and the idea that it somehow also represented his faith to Izurdin was a pleasing one.

"I'll take it. How much for it?"

New to the arts of haggling Altos immediately stated that he would purchase it. A wiser man would've asked the price first and at least pretend to consider it. Instead true to his nature he was not one to even consider arguing a price. The thought didn't even occur to him.

"Hmm, well seeing as yar far from home jus like m'self, I'd be obliged to let it go for bout 60 silver's."

Nodding Altos reached into his pocket and produced a single gold miza. Handing it over to the merchant, he held his hand ion the air for what seemed like a long moment. The man's face flashed with confusion for but a second before he swiped the coin and produced Altos' change. Handing over the pendant and the silver miza's he flashed a final smile. Not even bothering to wish good fortune he began hawking his wares once again to passer by.

Feeling pleased with his purchase Altos tied the cord of the pendant around his neck. It occurred to him that this pendant held meaning to him beyond being just a simple decoration. It gave credence to the idea that there could be more behind a simple object, be it a necklace or a blade. Perhaps Isana was right in saying that the blade may have another purpose. His mind once again back to his original goal he reentered the flow of people to continue his search.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on May 27th, 2014, 6:57 am

ALTOS

Altos spent close to half a bell wandering through the Bazaar with no direction as to where he should head. He allowed himself to be carried along with the flow of people. He hadn't minded at first the pleasure of the newly bought had put him in a good mood. Now it was getting easier to sour as he still had not seen anything remotely close to what he'd been requested to find. The arrangement of the booths did not seem to have any prevailing order or organization to them instead one could find clothes in one stand and exotic foods in the next.

He'd passed by several booths which had each displayed a different type of garb. From simple and plain clothes made for field work to elegant and decorative shirts that were apparently of high quality. Altos had never understood fashion. If it could withstand weather and wear and tear from the day to day jobs most people did then it was practical. These fancy clothes for special engagements and such were hardly practical for use making them of no interest to Altos. Though he supposed his current outfit was getting quite worn.

Some of other booths did catch his eye though. The stall that had sold a variety of animals would've been quite interesting had he not been a Squire. With barely enough room for himself to live how would he incorporate an animal into that lifestyle. Maybe when he was a Knight and obtained more spacious living quarter's he would look into it. As his eye's drifted from booth to booth he spotted one which looked like it would suit his needs.

Set in between one of the many clothing booths and a stall which seemed to be selling a variety of tools for some craft or another was a herbalist's booth. Hung on strings and laid out for display there were dried plants that Altos had never seen and what seemed like mixtures of ground herbs in jars. Squeezing through a couple of middle aged woman that had been standing and chatting before the booth he looked to find the merchant who was in charge of the stall.

"Excuse me!"

One of the ladies that Altos had pushed his way through directed her voice which was filled with indignation towards him. He glanced back at her with a slightly annoyed glare. He'd spent near on a bell in this place and he would be damned if he'd also take attitude from some woman. She sniffed and held her nose higher into the air and walked off with her friend in a dignified manner. As she'd left Altos huffed to himself. As much as he could try and be ever so patient with the world it seemed he had a breaking point, and shopping brought it out in him. He fingered his new pendant in an attempt to restore his normally calm demeanor.

"Don't fret yourself, boy. You've done me a favor. A few more moments of their incessant chatter and I would've snapped at 'em
myself."

A friendly smile greeted Altos as he turned back to the booth. The sight that greeted his eye's was a relatively young looking woman. Her hair however betrayed her youthful appearance with the showing of some grey hairs.

"Now I haven't had many customer's like yourself. What can I do for you?"

Customers like him? He wondered what she meant by that. It could be his age and fit appearance, or perhaps it was due to him being an Isur. Either way it mattered little as he was not here for himself but to find some seeds. He tried to recall what Isana had told him. She'd needed a cup of the seeds and that they'd grow to be about as tall as a man?

"I'm not quite sure actually. I'm looking for some seeds. They are from the Sea of Grass and grow to a man's height?"

He phrased his request as a question hoping that she would know what he was talking about. He'd barely been given anything to identify the seeds by, not even a name.

"Ah yes, I do know what you need, give me a moment."

There was some shuffling as she bent over and reached under the stall. She dug through a bag for a few chimes. Her search was accompanied by the sound of jars clanking against each other. Returning to an upright position she placed a jar on the table. Brushing her hair that had fallen onto her face she posed another question to Altos.

"Now how much will you be needing young man?"

Isana had asked him for a cup full but Altos wasn't sure if 2 GM's would be able to get him that much. Call him a miser but he wasn't really willing to spend his own money on Isana's purchase's regardless of if she was a Knight.

"How much will 2 golds get me?"

A knowing smile lit the female merchant's face. She must deal with the occasional apprentice sent to fetch supplies he realized. She was probably assuming that he was one himself. It wasn't quite true but he was a Squire fetching something for a Knight so it was a similar enough situation.

"You'll likely not need quite that much. Here 1 gold will get you a sizable pouch."

Altos handed her one of the golds that he had received from Isana. In return he was given a pouch that was about the size of his fist. It was made of a brown leather that seemed quite worn and he could feel the seeds moving around in the bag as he gripped it in his fist.

"Thank you. I appreciate your help."

After showing his appreciation for her service Altos made to leave. He was glad his trip into the Bazaar had ended on a positive note. He'd probably spent too much time looking for the seeds, worrying that Isana might already be waiting on him at the gatehouse he rushed out of the underground market.

"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on May 28th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Altos :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +3 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Negotiation +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Stall: Trinkets From Kalea
Goods: Seeds From The Sea Of Grass

Loots
-6 GM (For the pendant)
+1 Silver Pendant
-1 GM (For the seeds)
+1 Pouch of seeds

Notes :
Aaah, so this is the follow-up thread.

Enjoy your grades! :D

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)