Was it East or West at that River? (Nya and Friends)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Was it East or West at that River? (Nya and Friends)

Postby Ayla on September 19th, 2009, 11:12 am

Timestamp: 35th of Fall, 509 AV

"I am lost. The only mountains I was supposed to travel through were right outside of Zeltiva. But this is most certainly a range of mountains." The young Charoda was walking along a bare forest path, leading into the Cobalt mountains. She had most certainly taken a wrong turn long ago, nearly outside of Zeltiva.

"How disappointing I am. But no, I entrusted to my memory. I should have acquired a written map. Though maybe that man told me wrong. He said he was a cartographer." She frowned, and then groaned. "Of course, he would not have been the first Land-Walker to trick me, or try to do so."

As the Acquitor walked, she raised her webbed right hand in front of her face and gazed at it. "I need to find a river. It has been some time since my last dip. Oh why did I ever decide to leave Zeltiva on my own..." The young Charoda kept up her litany, in her native Char. While her speech may have sounded beautiful even to outsiders were they underwater, above it sounded... alien. Almost similar to a bird, all chirps and clicks, but nothing like any bird on Mizahar.

"Rivers, paths of water. They come from mountains, and flow out to the sea, to the ocean, to Charbosi. Water is the life-bringer, the Land-Above is the dry-death. Rivers are the neutral ground. Source of some plants, some safety. But not all. No, Mizahar is a dangerous place. Full of dangerous people made violent by dangerous gods. But for the Charodae. We are the peaceful, we are the water-breathers, the volcano watchers, the wave stoppers. We will rebuild the ties, the relationships, the connections. We are the Acquitors. More paths have been forgotten then I shall ever learn. Our duty is to learn, to guide." She spoke to herself for sometime. But it was not simply speaking to fill the time. It was something more to her. While her Char was the sharp clicks and chirps that would carry underwater, her Common was nearly unaccented. She took careful time on her annunciation, on the rhythm and flow of the words. And all the while, her head was on a swivel, obviously looking for a rive or lake.

Eventually the young female Charoda found it. A small creek, barely large enough for her to fully submerge herself. But when she heard the noise of the moving water near the path, she let out a bubbling laugh and all but sprinted off the path. Once she reached the water, she allowed the green kelp rucksack to slip off of her shoulders, striking the ground with a heavy but muffled thump. Ayla then quickly worked at the shoulder straps of the soft-kelp armor she wore about her torso, while also kicking off the hardened-kelp moccasins on her webbed feet.. Once those were undone and the armor had dropped to the ground as well, she walked into the water, and simply laid down in the creek, face up.

The water, clear and starting to chill with the onset of Fall, was barely high enough to glide over her nose. But as the water moved above her, she smiled, flashing her rows of triangular sharp teeth, and started to sing in Char. The music lifted through the water, the Char completely different when emerging from underwater, transforming the peaceful creek into a storybook "babbling brook".
Life's Wheel - by Heather Alexander :
"Life's wheel turn again
Life's wheel turn again
Come full 'round, come full 'round
Winter, Summer, Spring and Fall
Magic lives in one and all

Life's wheel turn again
Life's wheel turn again
Wake the land from out the cold
Life is born from death and old

Life's wheel turn again
Life's wheel turn again
Change from straw to flowers fair
'Tis the sign of magic there

Life's wheel turn again
Life's wheel turn again
Dine we now on harvest sweet
Bread and wine and seasoned meat

Life's wheel turn again
Life's wheel turn again
As the land succumbs to sleep
Magic will be ours to keep

Life's wheel turn again
Life's wheel turn again
Air and Water, Fire and Earth
All four quarters form our birth
Come full 'round, come full 'round"
Ayla
Acquitor

Words: 9223
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2009, 4:07 am
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Re: Was it East or West at that River? (Nya and Friends)

Postby Nya Winters on September 24th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Forest cats were curious sorts. And her curiosity had gotten Nya in trouble more than once. But this situation looked harmless, almost comical, as she fell into a parallel pathway with the stranger and listened to her talk to herself. Nya, being the quiet sort, had never felt the need to actually speak out loud when she was alone. After all, there was no one to hear right? Her thoughts stayed well inside her head, though her recent partnership with a human had taught her that sometimes humans did speak to themselves. This woman... at least she thought the creature was female... was definitely not human though. Nya stayed on the downwind side of the creatures pathway, drinking in the scent, and wondering if there was some unseen companion along with her - perhaps a Pycon Nya's sharp eyes hadn't yet spotted snuggled in the woman's arm or perhaps tucked into her bag. But there was no soft scent of 'earth' with a slightly off tang to it.

Curious.

The creature even talked to her hand. The forest cats eyes widened. Maybe she was crazy? Then she started singing, and Nya started to suspect maybe she was more afraid or frightened than her scent let on. Had she been human, Nya would have picked up the smell immediately because she was used to humans. But this creature smelled of the sea and wind and of wild places Nya's paws would never see. And she was oddly pretty. Abashai should see her. He would know what she was maybe. Nya had left her bondmate off near the cave doing something - building something maybe - Nya wasn't quite certain. She'd grown bored watching the Benshira work - as she often did when she didn't understand what he was doing or wasn't invited to help - and left to patrol her territory. Nya didn't blame Abashai for not letting her help. They were at ease with one another enough now that Abashai knew outright that sometimes the forest cats help ended up making more work for him than was absolutely necessary, and had no problems shooing her off when he needed to actually get some work done.

Nya didn't mind. She quickly had learned that hanging on Abashai's every word and crowding his space wasn't the most productive thing she could do with her time, though it was still one of her favorites especially when he played his ould. So instead she struck a balance and found their partnership easier. Hence, her being out wandering. The forest cat had actually thought to bring in some mushrooms for dinner - something she'd discovered she loved eating when Abashai cooked them - and had wandered across this female's path.

And she was fascinated.

The creature actually sung and her voice wasn't so bad. Nya longed to draw closer, to talk to her, but was still cautious. She might have steel or magic, each was equally frightening to the forest cat who's mother had told her enormous quantities of useful information on how mages could make her life far worse than it was. The woman seemed to be looking for something, and Nya couldn't for the life of her guess what that was. So she trailed along, worried. There were things in the woods that would eat the creature, though everything that could easily do so Nya had long since chased out of this particular piece of woods.

When the woman found the creek, took off her armor, and dropped her things, Nya assumed she'd bathe. She didn't assume she'd slide into the water on her back, let it cover her, and begin to sing. The music was pretty, but to Nya it almost sounded like a song about seasons and death, about the world turning. Nya wondered if the woman wasn't going to drown herself - women did that sometimes - and knew she needed to get Abashai to talk to her. Turning, Nya fled back towards the cave as fast as she could run, hoping she could fetch the Benshira before it was too late. The forest cat was big, but here in her element, she could move swiftly. Fallen trees were easily jumped over, brush negotiated, and the rocky slope before their home was familiar. Nya charged up it and skidded to a halt in front of the Benshira, who was still hard at work on his project.

She shifted quickly, ending up in a crouched position on all fours in front of her bondmate. "Abashai... there is a woman in the woods. She is not human, and she sings. I followed her a while and she went into a creek letting the waters cover her entire body. She is still singing, about life and death and time turning. I think you should come with me and talk to her. She seems... lost." Nya said. If it was a man, Nya would have shown no such concern unless he had weapons, but women shouldn't be alone in the forest With that, Nya lost her human shape again, and lashed her tail, turning towards the direction the woman was in, then glancing back at Abashai. She dipped her shoulder closest to him, inviting him to ride, and waited for him to move.

She knew there'd be no question he'd want to help or at least talk to the stranger... none whatsoever in Nya's mind at least.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Abashai on September 25th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Abashai was busy lashing cedar beams together, forming a rack where he and Nya could hang clothes and supplies. Even in the cool fall air, he had worked up a sweat and had removed his tunic, wearing only his brown pants and boots. The Benshiran had heard the rustle of leaves as the dire forest cat bounded up the hill. Turning in time to see the shimmering transformation and Nya crouching in bare skin before him, she did not give him a chance to scold her for not having something to cover herself. Instantly he knew his Kelvic bondmate was excited about something, the curious description of a woman singing under watered spilling out. Her moss green eyes were wide with urgency, and without waiting a response the girl had changed back to her feline form. He had slung his sword across his back, grabbed his tunic and jumped on Nya's back.

Riding a giant forest cat bareback was as far from riding a horse as one could get. Abashai leaned over, wrapped his arms and legs around the powerful cat and held on tightly. Nya ran headlong through the forest, over rocks, under overhanging limbs that would have taken his head off had he not clung so close to her powerful body. As they ran, sweat evaporating from his back and limbs, Abashai wondered what Nya had really seen. His bondmate had a unique, Kelvic perspective on things and sometimes it took him a while to grasp what she meant. All part of her charm, he thought, grinning as he saw her veer towards the stream.

The anxious cat slid to a halt on the leaves, propelling Abashai over her head, the man landing with a roll on the ground in front of her. He got up slowly, giving Nya a playful sneer. He wondered if the cat was laughing or pleading for forgiveness. Brushing the leaves off of himself and adjusting the sword strap that had slipped off his shoulder, Abashai teasingly tossed his tunic at Nya, which landed across her face.

Then he saw the subject of Nya's concern, and heard it. The sound was like liquid music, as if someone was playing an instrument made of water. Lying in the stream was a being, he couldn't find another word to describe her, Thin and graceful in appearance with smooth blue-green skin. Abashai marveled at the feminine creatures face, crowned with shallow fins and multi-pointed ears. She (or so he assumed its gender was female) did not appear to be in distress under the water, and he hesitated to disturb her. Still studying the mysterious stranger, he spoke quietly to Nya. "I have never in all my days seen the likes of this. In Yahebah as a student I heard mention of people who lived under the sea, but even the teachers believed it to be only myth."
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ayla on September 25th, 2009, 1:18 pm

To the young Charoda, the water flowing over her head was nothing. In a sense, it was less than nothing, it simply was. It did not impede her hearing, nor her sight. Any normally attentive person might have noticed the dire forest cat at some point during its watching. Or most certainly would have heard the Benishira's roll on the ground and words to the large cat. But not Ayla. She instead finished her song, which lasted for a short while after the pair returned. After that, she stretched out lanky limbs while still underwater.

The Acquitor then proceeded to stand, which was accomplished in a nearly acrobatic fashion. Ayla bent her legs at the knees while still underwater, her webbed feet folding under her back. She then tightened her midsection which brought her torso out of the water swiftly, and then in a single fluid motion rose to stand on her feet. She ended up facing the opposite bank from the two sets of eyes looking at her. Again, she proceeded to stretch her arms, twisting them about in the air, working every single little muscle that was present with careful movements. All the while, the water dripped from the small tentacles and fins atop her head along with the rest of her lanky body.

Finally Ayla looked down at the bank she was facing and realized that her gear was not where she was expecting it to be. "Oh, well that is not good at all. I am rather sure I did not drift in this stream. Not even much of a stream at that... How did that one man put it? Beggars cannot be choosers?" The Charoda sighed, then twisted her torso and neck to look to the shore behind her. It was at this point that she noticed the two humans observing her, and one of them with an obvious weapon. There was an almost comical look of surprise on Ayla's face as she pivoted on the ball of one foot still underwater, now facing the two. She then quickly took two short hopping steps and was on the opposite bank. While she was never the fastest swimmer underwater, above she was more agile and quicker then the average human due to the lack of normal water resistance. It wouldnt be a match to a trained soldier, or a dire forest cat, but it was all she had.

Well, she also had money. It was one of the first things she had learned among the Land-Walkers, even on Black Rock. Money, coins, were powerful, and could buy many things. Hopefully her life. "Bag. Sack. Owns money. Take. No hurt. No weapon. Peace." The young Charoda's previously adept skill with Common had quickly become clipped, an obvious accent of sharp inflections coming through. Ayla was obviously frightened, her eyes darting between the two humans, waiting for the first sign of anything threatening, her legs tensing, ready to bolt away from them.
Ayla
Acquitor

Character sheet

Postby Nya Winters on September 25th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Nya truthfully delighted in dumping Abashai, so his first guess as usual was right - laughter. The big man was more graceful than he looked, but sooner or later he was going to have to learn to land on his feet like a cat. The roll was pretty good though. It was more controlled than usual, and Nya figured he'd eventually learn to come to his feet out of one. It was just harder with the steel he always insisted on carrying. Metal made things so awkward. Nya was already shifting back as he got to his feet and peeled off his tunic and tossed it at her. She grunted as he hit her with it dead center of her head, and then laughingly slipped it on. She was beside him and wide-eyed in an instant.

"See? I told you. You had to see her. She is like one of your bards tales, only real. Pretty too. Your ears will not believe until your eyes see."
Nya said, softly, but with excitement injected in every word and syllable. Nya was prone to excitement, to bringing him things that she thought he might like or getting things confused. Sometimes what she thought she saw was vastly different than the reality. But she thought first and foremost with an animals mind, only thinking about things like a human would later after the excitement left her.

Nya was getting better though. Having another human around to constantly demonstrate how to be one helped tremendously.

"She sings so pretty, but I do not think she is human. Do you know what she is? She almost looks like a fish. Catfish have tentacles and scales. Maybe she is a shifter but caught between forms." Nya commented, crouching down by the waters edge to peer into its depths and stare at the strange sight. She then glanced around, looking for a likely stick to poke the woman with in the water (Nya's usual solution to finding something she didn't want to touch but wanted to examine) among the saplings and windfall at the waters edge when Ayla ended her song and rose. Nya rose and took a few steps back (Abashai had his steel after all!), eyes wide and wary, but also curious.

But it was clear by her broken words that there was no fight to be had here. Nya waded into the water, splashing happily across to Ayla's side to circle her curiously. She also wanted to keep Ayla between herself and Abashai so the strange woman didn't get away until she got a long close look. "No.. no... you keep your things, your coin. I brought him to hear your singing and to see you. It is really pretty, your voice, and I have never seen anything like you." Nya said, purring suddenly as her voice broke down. She smiled her innocent charming little-girl smile and nodded her chin to Abashai across the water. "He plays music ... an ould. We like music. We just wanted to come greet you. I am Nya." She paused, glanced at Abashai, and figured she'd best leave the rest of the introductions up to him.

Avatar?Alya dear, I love your PC concept. Would you mind if I took a stab at drawing an avatar for you? I'll need some basic description though... but I'd love to try. You don't even have to use it if you don't like it.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on September 26th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Abashai studied the lithe Charoda as Nya circled her. While the impetuous Kelvic had rushed across the stream, the cautious Benshiran watched on the opposite bank. His bondmate had a knack for sensing danger, and Nya obviously felt no threat from this creature. The being was nearly as tall as he. Her movements was graceful, like Nya's, but had a different quality, an effortlessness. When she spoke, he saw glimpses of sharp, triangular teeth.

His mind put at ease, Abashai grinned, amused at Nya's child-like amazement with the stranger, her excitement reflected in her sweet face as if the desert sun shone upon it. He realized that, as strange as the visitor seemed to them, Abashai and Nya's ambush probably had her a bit startled too. Abashai relaxed and held his hands up slightly to indicate he had no intention of reaching for his weapon. "I am Abashai, and you have met Nya." He motioned the the youth staring up at the stranger with a beaming smile. "Forgive us for disturbing you. Its just that we have never seen your kind before. We will in no way harm you. We live here and can offer you guidance or help if you desire." He nodded slightly, not quite sure what gesture of greeting to use. "What shall we call you?"
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayla on September 26th, 2009, 3:33 pm

The single thing that kept the young Charoda from bolting was the praise given to her by Nya. She certainly wasnt anything special, in those regards, at least among her own people. She was pretty much an amateur, knew the basics, enough to learn stories and aptly tell them in her native fashion. But the praise kept her from bolting, and perhaps eased her nerves. She pivoted in place, half facing Nya, half the Benishira. Her head continuously switched between the two, perhaps lingering longer on the male. "I.. am Ayla."

Her large eyes flicked towards her rucksack and the armor on the opposite shore, wishing for a moment she had not taken the gear off. Though, I doubt it would do much against his weapon. "I am a Charodaen Acquitor. And I believe I am lost. I think it is my fate to be forever so." The Acquitor shook her head sadly but then her eyes sparkled and she looked towards Nya. "But I have met most fascinating people while lost. Greetings Nya," her head turned to Abashi, "and Abashi. Thank you for... well, not eating me." Ayla laughed, which sounded almost like a very excited bird call.

Her legs lost their tenseness as she relaxed, standing up straight and smiling at Nya. Again, a normal person would have still been ill-at-ease around the sudden appearance of two strangers out in the wilderness, but Ayla was not. Instead, Nya's excitement seemed to infect and rekindle similar emotions within the Charoda. "I am not surprised that you have never met a Charoda before. Charbosi is far far away, and I am possibly the first of us to travel this far in a long time. But, that is my duty. I was in Zeltiva until a short while ago, but decided to make my way to Syliras. I think I may be lost though..."

Her large and expressive eyes moved over to Abashi and then lingered, studying his face. "You are.. Benishira? From, oh what was it called... Ekytol, yes?" During her brief time in Zeltiva, the young Charoda had taken a lot of time to speak with as many people as she possibly could. Many ships and sailors came through that port, and she had learned much general information during her stay. "Ekytol is close to Charbosi, east. The Faylek Gulf, others call it. We just call it home." Again the Acquitor laughed and smiled, showing her sharp triangular teeth.
Ayla
Acquitor

Character sheet

Postby Nya Winters on September 26th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Nya wasn't one to miss details. She caught Ayla's look towards her gear and in an instant the forest cat happily splashed back into the water, crossing it, to fetch the sack and strange hardened green armor. With little concern, she retrieved the items and laid them at Ayla's feet with a look that spoke volumes. Your things are safe. Then she tilted her head and laughed lightly. "You are not lost at all. You are very near Syliras. If there were not so many tall trees you could see the city from here and understand how close you are." The kelvic said reasonably. "Any good climbing tree would have offered you a look around and showed you the way." Kelvic logic, indeed. Nya backed up so the Charoda could pick up her things if she wanted, and then crouched back down in a restful patient position.

Nya did have a question, but she wouldn't interrupt. She waited for a break in the conversation, an appropriate time for asking (Abashai's guidance and endless patience in this department was already paying off), and then prompted Ayla for an answer. "Ayla, what is a Charodean Acquitor?" Nya had no idea what a Charoda was, let alone what an Acquitor was. She suspected, however, that Charodaen might be what Ayla was in terms of her race. The other thing sounded more like a job title, one Nya was totally unfamiliar with.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on September 28th, 2009, 12:07 pm

At Ayla's curious laughter, Abashai was put at ease. There was nothing threatening in her words or demeanor. Quite to the contrary, she was friendly. He knew of the Faylek Gulf, west of Eyktol. Ayla's home was many times closer to his than this place. Her journey too has brought her far from her lands...or waters.

As she spoke, Abashai could not help but to stare. She was so...different. He had not seen many sea creatures in his time, but Ayla definitely looked more fit for the oceans than these forests. He wondered if that is why she lay in the stream, because she had too. He hoped Ayla would take up their offer to escort her, allowing time for them to hear more about her people and Charbosi.

He wouldn't have to wait, it seemed, as his bondmate's feline curiosity beat him to it. So Abashai grinned, watched and waited. The young kelvic woman crouching patiently on the bank, bare feet and strong legs (as well as the hem of his tunic) dripping wet, looking up at the glistening water woman from beyond the Faylek Gulf.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayla on September 28th, 2009, 1:09 pm

The young Charoda picked up the kelp armor, then slid it over her head. As she fastened the shoulder straps so it would stay on she smiled at Nya and laughed. "I do not think climbing would suit me very well. Though, until a short while ago walking did not agree with me either." She finished with the straps, then checked to make sure it wouldnt fall off by tugging on it a couple times. Satisfied she turned her gaze to the Benishira for a moment and smiled when she noticed him staring. While at first she had been embarassed about herself in Zeltiva, she had grown to like the attention after some time. "I suppose I will have to instead rely on the both of you to guide me, if you are willing."

After letting her gaze linger on Abashi for a moment longer she turned back to Nya. "I am a Charoda. My people are the Charodae, and something of the Charodae is Charodaen. As to what an Acquitor is... well, it is an organization. A small one, but I suppose you could call us scouts. Or, what is the word... trailblazers?" Ayla paused, staring off into the distance above Nya's head for a second before looking down at her. "My Elders have asked that I try to find the other people, those mentioned in our stories before the Valterrian. We have been... isolated, for a long time, and it has been decided that the Charodae must find those willing and deemed... trustworthy, to visit Charbosi."

Ayla frowned, her eyes losing an amount of their sparkle, but then she knelt down and grabbed the rucksack. She then slipped it onto one shoulder and stood up, the frown gone. "I have not found anyone yet. But I shall continue on, and in the mean time learn all I can of the land-walkers." She laughed, a hint of nervous embarassment present. "Please, if I am talking too much, say something. I am afraid I have always had the tendancy to do so." The Acquitor then remembered her mocassins and wiggled first one foot, and then the other into the hardened-kelp shoes.
Ayla
Acquitor

Character sheet

Next