Completed (Job Thread) Not In My Town!

Pulren and other Guards make slavers feel unwelcome.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

(Job Thread) Not In My Town!

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 1st, 2014, 4:37 am

28th of Spring, AV 514
Twelfth Bell

Syna glared down upon the docks as the heat pressed against Pulren's shoulders. There was a storm out there somewhere, Zulrav willing, but it could find no purchase. It left a sticky mess everywhere, accentuated with the occasional flashes of heat lightning on the horizon. walking his beat on the docks, the young Guardsman could feel every ounce in his shield and trident as they weighed down on him much like the oppression of the day.

At least he was out in his proper element, Pulren thought to himself. there had been protests over the Lord of Council and the center of the city was a hotbed of political bickering. At least the majority of the conflicts in his actual jurisdiction were more or less easily handled. The heat would have cockles raised, but most things could be straightened out without too much fuss, or so Marsh thought.

The chain shirt he had been gifted for his induction into the Guard rubbed against his skin, still not familiar with such an unnatural material against his previously unfettered flesh. His gaze moved over dockworkers and ships alike, his eyes training on a group of Guardsmen gathered at a ship near the end of the pier. A small sigh left Pulren's lips, half traced with relief and anxiety. Nothing generally went well that required more than one Guard to handle.

As he approached, he found the azure backs of his compatriots surrounding a swarthy man who was bare chested and quite hairy. In the man's hand was a long whip, his eyes as cruel as the lash of leather, no doubt. In between the suspect and his brothers was a young girl, no older than twelve. She was crouched and shaking, a fresh tear across her back, the shirt and her skin opened up to the sting of sweat and Syna's vision. Pulren could feel his usual anger rising up into his chest, but tried to keep it in his mind to have a cool head. On a day like that one, staying cool would be a great feat alone.
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on June 29th, 2014, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 7th, 2014, 6:40 am

As usual, there were no familiar faces among the Guards yet. While considered a relatively small force as far as domestic military, there were still severla hundred faces and names for Pulren to learn of. Those numbers had dwindled further since the Voyage and the riots, so it became a sad standard for him not to get too attached to any of his fellow Guards. If they wore the blue and carried the Wave, that was enough to pledge his life toward.

Once he could actually stand alongside the other three Guards, he could see the small shivering form of the young girl. She was blonde and frail, a strange burned mark on her arm. Her face was hidden beneath her stringy hair, her form soaked through with the sweat of terror and pain. Looking at the others, it was clear there were no ranking officers among them. Were they waiting on someone to intervene before helping the child? Pulren certainly hoped not. "What's going on here?", he chimed in, hoping to get answers and start some kind of dialogue.

Two of the Guards were sword wielders, their weapons free and raised, at least past their belts and scabbards. They seemed to default to a larger fair haired man who looked to be at least a decade older than Pulren for sure. That one carried a hand axe and while it was down, Pulren observed a strong grip on it, fingers crawling along the shaft as a spider waiting to pounce. The Axe looked out of the corner of his eye briefly to Pulren before settling back down on the whip carrier. "Slavers from Sunberth. The girl came running off ship screaming for help when this big vagik put the lash to her. We were here watching them on orders, due to their cargo. He laughed when he put her down. Maybe I will laugh as well."

Pulren could see that without some form of diplomacy, blood could and would be shed on the dock. With the state of the city as it was, there had been enough of that. That didn't make the slavers right, however. Looking up at the slaver, he could see the man stepping back a few paces with his arrival. He called out over his shoulder in a language Pulren did not understand. "Anyone catch that?" None of them did. In fact, their gazes were still set upon him. Looking up on the deck of the ship, he could see that the slaver had help too, a pair of men with crossbows in hand. Another sigh.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 7th, 2014, 7:14 am

With the appearance of the slaver's backup, Pulren's mind went into battle stance. It was just an instinct that had become as vital as legs and arms in the tumultuous season of Spring and all of its events. His own shield came up to mid torso and he looked to the others. "Shields up, guys. Two crossbows on deck." This brought the mute two and their own shields up, though the larger axe man still remained where he was, axe ready to fly. Pulren looked toward him and put some timber in his voice. "Hey! Enough with the staring contest. Pick up that girl and carry her to the Infirmary." Axe seemed to twitch a bit before sliding his weapon into his belt. When he stopped and began to cradle the girl, she bolted upright, a shriek from her lips akin to that of a cornered animal.

The Axe whispered to her and she looked around at Pulren and the others, who were all in similar garb. He hadn't heard much of Sunberth, other than it was a lawless shyke pit. He felt sorry for her. Another foreign word came from the slaver, whose whip began to rise when Axe began to lift the girl. Pulren was not going to muck about with this situation, he had decided. Stepping between the pair and the whip wielder, his shield stayed up in case of incoming bolts. Standing with his trident solid against the wood, his eyes settled on the slaver, finding the look that the Axe had carried.

"Do you speak the common tongue, Slaver?"

The whip lowered slightly but the crossbows were sighting on Pulren, a sensation which only angered him further. "I do speak Common. Return my property or my friends will kill all of you." This threat was taken seriously, but Pulren was determined that blood would not be spilled. "Flanks, guys.", he muttered, the mute duo flanking him, creating a wall of the three with the Axe and the girl behind them. Other sailors and workers began to notice the commotion and work began to slow. Pulren was glad as a slowing of work would surely bring reinforcements without yelling.

His brow furrowing, Pulren remained resilient, anger and defiance overriding fear for the moment. "Listen, slaver. It's quite simple. The GIRL is no longer your property. She is no one's property. Zeltiva does not recognize slavery, so your claim to her is null and void. If she wishes to stay, she may. If she wishes to go, she goes." Looking back at Axe, he nodded and urged him off with his chin. Axe looked back in disgust at the slaver with intent. When Pulren turned back, the whip was beginning to rise. Dropping into a battle stance, his legs were bent and his shield at a straight angle before him, his own trident raised above his head. The men on his flanks were unsheathed and ready to go.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 7th, 2014, 7:57 am

Looking one more time at the archers, Pulren lowered his gaze for the last time at the slaver. Sweat was dripping over his brow and trying to sting his eye, but he didn't dare lower his weapon. He took a deep breath and spoke to the man in the clearest and calmest voice that he could muster.

"Your friends may be able to shoot us. I don't deny that. We might die from those shots, if they are very good at what they do. However, YOU will absolutely die because there are three of us and two possible shots from them. This is a fact. I will say it again. You will die." Pulren lowered his shield slightly and his trident lowered to waist level. "I don't know how many more men you have on that ship, but we have several hundred Guards. We also have ships in the Bay that will make sure you do not leave. Your best choice and your only choice is to put your whip down and board your ship. Your business with us is done for today."

That was all Pulren was going to say about it. His glance passed from the archers to the slaver and back again. Another sigh escaped lips but this time it was his adversary, who lowered his whip. This in turn brought the sights of the crossbows down and off of Pulren and his compatriots. The hairy man spit at Pulren's feet and added, "Should I see you in Sunberth, you will be the one who dies." he seemed very serious and Pulren believed him. Not wishing to break his character, he popped his chin up at the gangplank.

"It's a date."

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on June 29th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Riddled With Rewards
Pulren

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation + 2 EXP
Acting + 1 EXP
Leadership + 3 EXP
Tactics +1 EXP
Weapon: Shield +1 EXP
Negotiation +2 EXP
Intimidation +1 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Acting: Playing It Cool
Leadership: Taking Charge In The Absence of A Superior
Tactics: Assessing For Threat Level
Negotiation: Working The Intimidation Angle
Intimidation Tactic: Outnumbered

Notes :
Despite its length there was actually a lot going on here. I do love a good old fashioned show down!

If you have comments, questions or concerns please approach me at your earliest convenience. Don't forget to edit/delete your request in the request thread!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)