Linguistics?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Linguistics?

Postby Palla Frostfawn on June 8th, 2014, 2:57 am

I looked in the Sverfa and Vantha lore pages to see if they had any information on this but found none. Can both of the languages be written? If so, Does Vani have an alphabet, or are there characters for each word? I have the same question for Fratava. Also, if either of the languages have alphabets, how many letters would it consist of?

I'm doing a thread in which Palla is planning on teaching a Sverfa what Vani she knows and vice versa, sorry if these questions have already bern answered.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Words: 117768
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Linguistics?

Postby Atoll Northwind on June 8th, 2014, 3:55 am

I think Vantha would have a written language, so would Common because the sounds can be written and read the same, and if people make maps and scrolls (like in RF they give a list of rules, so I'm assuming it's written in Tukant or Common or both) they'd have to be able to write in a language. Fratava doesn't seem like it would because the lore says they make new words, plus there is so much physical and facial muscles involved I don't think it would translate. As for characters and exact letters in the alphabet you'd probably need to wait for the creators input.

Funny enough, Atoll is actually trying to teach someone some Fratava and while not impossible it is said to be difficult because of all the intricacies in it. I haven't seen a set amount of threads or time for learning a language either so I can't say much there.
Speech (Fratava). Speech (Common). Speech (Tukant).
Atoll Northwind
Live by the Sea

Words: 55665
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2014, 10:17 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Linguistics?

Postby Palla Frostfawn on June 8th, 2014, 4:27 am

Yeah, that's what I was guessing, but I'm just making sure. Vani seemed like it would be written, while Fratave doesn't. Also, I believe that Goss mentioned somewhere that after an IRL year, if you present learning threads to her, you can progress in the language.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Words: 117768
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes