Flashback Lady of the Dance (Alyra)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Lady of the Dance (Alyra)

Postby Caela Dorin on August 1st, 2014, 8:58 pm

x

Maybe her theory hadn't been too bad after all. Perhaps not fully correct but her bubble theory seemed to grasp some of the facts. Maybe it would get Alyra's brain ticking over and she could come up with some sort of explanation that would suit the teen better.

The woman set to work answering her other questions first though, explaining that the fall wasn't really much of a fall, at least not in the physical sense. It was more of a fall of grace, a fall from a place of high standing. She could think of it as a god becoming a lowly person, a mortal. That was quite a drop in status. As she kept talking though, the girl's face fell. She knew that some people didn't like Sunberth but it wasn't a dump. There were other places better than here too so if Alyra considered this to be a dump then what had the Ukalas been like? Something beyond imagination it seemed, or at least beyond the imagination of the Sunberthian teen.

The Eth was trying to be nice though. She didn't really know that what she was saying might be hurtful or offensive. It seemed that she hadn't been around Mizahar-bound people for very long so maybe she just didn't understand how you were supposed to talk yet. Caela would just have to bear with her. Hopefully she'd stop placing Sunberth and the rest of Mizahar at such a low standard. If here seemed beneath her then how did Alyra see the people in it? The girl didn't want anyone looking down their nose at her.

The other woman began on a new explanation of where the Ukalas was in relation to Mizahar. "Okay. Inn. Mizahar, first floor. Ukalas, second floor. No stairs. Go it," she replied, nodding to show that she understood so far. It made sense, Caela thought. She could understand that there would have to be a way up but that someone would have to let you up. The horns were a bit strange but she understood where she was coming from. Some of the gangs were big on tattoos for their members. You couldn't be a proper member unless you got a tattoo. Strange to think of the Ukalas like a gang but there it was.

The broken floorboards analogy made far more sense than her bubble one. It made her giggle a little though. You'd have to be a bit stupid not to notice a hole in the floorboards. Unless it was really crowded up there. If there were loads of people then you wouldn't have a lot of space and you wouldn't be able to stop yourself from falling through. Did Alyra even know the why?

"How come you fell through? If it was crowded then you might fall through the floorboards, right? Is that why or is it something else? And yeah it makes more sense. Even the mortal seeming thing. You look like you did before at night because you're not in the day club during the night," the girl said in a rush as all of her thoughts came out at once.

Her neck was beginning to hurt from looking up at the other woman. If she'd come down from her high perch then it'd be better. "Are you going to come down from there anytime today, or are you trying to climb back up to the second floor?" she asked jokingly.

x
Caela Dorin
Seductress

Words: 472136
Joined roleplay: January 1st, 2014, 12:00 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alyra on August 13th, 2014, 1:05 am

Alyra hadn't really thought about her fall much. Sure, she had complained about it and the consequences it caused, but she hadn't actually sat down and thought about it yet. Truth be told, she had no idea of the why. She had assumed it was just meant to be, and that Syna had sent her down. Alyra didn't think it had been something she had specifically done.

"I hadn't thought about that, really." Alyra admitted, pursing her lips as she thought about. "I've just thought that I fell . . . I fell because someone pushed me, I guess. I think Syna sent me back for something." Alyra shrugged away the thought. Frankly, she didn't want to think about her fall, or if it was her fault, or if there was or wasn't a reason behind it. It was a fresh wound still, and she was just reaching a sort of equilibrium. Compromising her mental stability and happiness was not on her agenda for the day.

"I'd need a lot of boxes." Alyra laughed at the young woman's joke, and tried not to think about the reality it hid. She smiled, then began to climb down. "But sorry. You looked really nervous earlier, and I didn't want to scare you or anything."

Alyra landed clumsily on the ground, though she did still manage to keep both feet on the ground and her butt off of it. She rolled her eyes at herself discretely; why did it take so long to get used to her new body? She should be used to this. This should be just like riding a bike...easy to pick up, even though you haven't done it in a while. Alyra shuddered slightly at the thought of attempting to ride a bike. Focus on walking, for now, okay? Okay.

When she was sure on her footing, Alyra smiled once more.
"Better? Sorry about that, I really didn't mean to be weird. I'm still getting used to--" Alyra finished her thought with a gesture to the surrounding area, and then one to herself. "Everyhing."

Thoughts ~.~ Common ~.~ Tukant (0000BF) ~.~ Kontinese (FFFFFF)
Piraen
Alyra
Player

Words: 70686
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2012, 7:52 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caela Dorin on September 4th, 2014, 8:41 pm

x

OOCSorry about the delay!

What Caela had thought of as being somewhat silly questions had obviously sparked thoughts that the woman hadn't considered before. Perhaps they hadn't been that silly then or else Alyra wouldn't be considering them so seriously. The mention of being pushed made Caela's eyebrows climb but she considered it for a moment before voicing her thoughts. "So if someone pushed you... you think it was Syna? Why would she send you back? That doesn't exactly sound fair. I mean, if it was an accident then it wouldn't be anyone's fault but if you're rewarded with something like that and are sent back... I can't imagine it being very nice." The teen realised belatedly that the circumstances might mean that this was a painful subject and that she was simply rubbing salt into wounds that were probably still fresh.

The Eth seemed to appreciate her joke, despite the fact that it was probably in bad taste. At least she'd laughed. Maybe it wasn't too bad. As the woman climbed down from her perch, Caela stared. Her gaze only became more fixed when the other landed on the ground. She had good reason to gawk; the woman was taller than many men that she had seen. Her height accompanied by her somewhat strange appearance made her more intimidating. The teen tried to remember that Alyra had been nothing but friendly to her since they'd encountered one another and that she probably wasn't dangerous. Still, she was shocked.

"You're very tall." Her voice came out with a slight squeak to it. She bit her lip as if that would keep the frightened sound within and swallowed nervously before she attempted to speak again. "I- Yeah. I, um, imagaine that it's difficult?" Her voice pitched at the end, voicing an uncertain question. She still sounded frightened and she doubted that she'd get over it quickly unless the woman stopped looming over her. The girl wracked her brain for something, anything, to say and blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

"Is there a name for what you are? I mean, you said that you were one of Syna's fallen but do you have a name for what... well for this." She waved a hand up and down, encompassing Alyra's entire figure in her gesture. It probably was another stupid question but at least it would fill a potential silence. Other than that question, she could think of nothing to say. She'd come out here to dance, not to have some weird creature woman appear and start a conversation with her. She wasn't prepared for this situation although she doubted that anyone was. Hopefully the Eth could make up the conversation because the teen was at a loss.

x
Caela Dorin
Seductress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alyra on September 7th, 2014, 10:01 pm

"It isn't very nice." Alyra responded quickly. The hurt showed clearly through her words. She was quick to amend this, though; she didn't want to make the girl feel like she had hurt her feelings. Alyra smiled meekly. "But there must've been a reason. I think she wanted me to help others become as happy as I was with her. I had already become as happy as I could've ever been, so maybe Syna thought it was time for others to be that happy, too, you know?" Alyra shrugged. "That's the way I like to think about it. It gives me purpose, a mission, instead of me just . . . wandering around aimlessly."

As she straightened herself out, Alyra noticed the girl's changed expression. She was staring in awe. Alyra peered over her shoulder, looking for the object of the teenager's gawking. Finding nothing, she looked back to her acquaintance as she spoke. "You're very tall." Alyra looked down at herself, then back up to the girl. She didn't feel tall, but after further examination, realized that she was, in fact, something of a giant. The Eth laughed nervously.

"Ah, I guess I am." She lowered herself to the ground, folding her legs beneath her as she did so. Hopefully that would solve the gawking problem, and make the girl more comfortable. "Not anymore." She smiled up at the girl, then motioned to the space next to her. "Sit?"

Alyra thought back to when she fell. She remembered walking the deck of Kevers's ship, listening to the workers talk as they pulled fishing nets aboard. They had many different names for her...skin stealer, witch, half-beast. There was one, however, that was spoken without as much malice behind it. One of the quieter men aboard used it, and it was the most official-sounding label she had heard since she had fallen: Ethaefal. That seemed to be what Mizaharians called people like her.
"Ethaefal." Alyra looked at her, then clarified. "Like you are a human, I am an Ethaefal. That's what you mean, right?"

Thoughts ~.~ Common ~.~ Tukant (0000BF) ~.~ Kontinese (FFFFFF)
Piraen
Alyra
Player

Words: 70686
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2012, 7:52 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caela Dorin on September 17th, 2014, 3:39 pm

x

She'd been right, her words were hurtful. It was clear in the way that Alyra answered quickly, trying to avoid lingering on the subject, her voice full of the pain that Caela's word had caused. Think before you speak! she chided herself. It was a lesson that she'd still failed to learn and knowing her she'd never get out of the habit of blurting whatever thoughts came into her head. She had the habit long enough that it would difficult to shift it now. That didn't mean that the teen couldn't at least try.

"Sorry I wasn't trying to say it like that, I just meant..." she paused as she wracked her brain for an answer, "...Well I don't know what I meant actually. I didn't mean it to sound bad, I guess." So much for thinking before speaking. All the teen was doing was making it worse, digging a hole for herself that she wished she could just jump into and let the ground swallow her. Colour came to her cheeks and her gaze dropped as she listened to what the Eth thought on the subject. Thoughts sprang into the teen's mind but she bit down hard on her lip, keeping them from voicing themselves without her permission. Words were plucked carefully from her mind, the girl running over them in her head before she spoke.

"So you were sent back as a... messenger of Syna? To spread her joy and to help other people onto the path to follow her? If she did that then you were obviously a very valued follower that she'd entrust such a task to you." The teen had no idea if any of it was through but she could at least make the woman feel better about the situation, to make her feel important and like her presence on Mizahar actually meant something. She could only imagine how horrible it would be if the woman had fallen entirely by accident but at least Caela's new words might stop her dwelling on it.

The girl accepted the other's invitation to sit, feeling considerably better when the woman wasn't towering over her. She was still a little higher than her off the ground but it wasn't as bad. She tucked her legs up beside her and made herself comfortable as Alyra explained the name of the race she was. That's what it was as far as Caela could tell at least, a race. "Eth-ae-fal, ethaefal," she rolled the sound off her tongue, the name sounding deliciously exotic to the untravelled girl. She smiled sheepishly when she realised what she'd just been doing and nodded. "Yeah. That's what I meant. It sounds... I don't know, like it's something that shouldn't be in Sunberth. Not that I'm saying that you don't belong in Sunberth, because you probably don't, but it sounds like you should be living in one of those foreign places with all the strange races you hear in stories. This sounds really bad so I'm just going to shut up." Yeah, thinking before speaking was something that she really needed to work on. She hoped that the woman wouldn't take offence. Caela had only been trying to say that Alyra should be in one of the magical and fantastical places that she'd heard stories about rather than this dive of a city but it had come out completely wrong. Better to keep her mouth shut rather than dig a bigger hole. Maybe the woman could muddle her way through it.

x
Caela Dorin
Seductress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amora Jade on December 2nd, 2014, 5:02 pm

Congratulations, you've been awarded!

Caela
Skills
  • Dance +1
  • Observation +5
Lores
  • It's Worth Taking the Time to Stretch
  • Alyra: The 'Human Plus Something Else'
  • Alyra: Human at Night
  • Aylra: Used to Live in the Goldenlands
  • Alyra: Human was her Last Mortal Form
  • Alyra: Likes Answering Questions
  • Alyra: An Ethaefal
  • Ukalas: Where the Divine Live
  • Ukalas: Kind of like a Sunberth Gang?
  • Ukalas: Like the Second Story of a Terribly Designed Buidling
  • Syna: Goddess of Sun, Joy, and Sight
  • Syna: Retreats to the Goldenlands at Night

Alyra
Once you update your Ledger, please send me a PM to let me know and I'll release your grade! :)

I loved reading this, and hated that it was abandoned! I learned a lot about the Ethaefal too :D

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to send me a private message! Also, please remember to edit your post requesting the grade as "Graded."
With love,
Miss Jade
Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Words: 165569
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)