Open [Antinous Training Grounds] A Storm of Signatures

Shield Games Registration. Knights and Squires welcome!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antinous Training Grounds] A Storm of Signatures

Postby Isana Lin on June 17th, 2014, 12:14 pm

10th of Summer, 514 AV

Isana Lin's world was a maelstrom of paperwork and wrist-ache. The knight rubbed her parchment-dry eyes, bleary pupils barely noticing the surrounding training ground. She didn't understand it. Paper was expensive. Time was expensive. Yet, the order seemed to have no difficulty consuming vast quantities of her supply of the latter with absolutely monumental deposits of the former.

Requisitions requests trundled across her desk like caravans navigating distant roads, guided to safety only by the liberal application of the appropriate signatures just so. 'Appropriate' in this case being someone to blame in the event that the requisitioned items mysteriously vanished. Of course. I must have forgotten how dearly I desired a half-dozen lances. Her quill darted across the page, scratching in another pledge she could not possibly afford to keep in writing that was little more than an exhausted scrawl. By her reckoning, come tomorrow she would be responsible for a good quarter of the order's training equipment.

Her wrist cracked as she pulled it back, working some of the stiffness from the overworked joint. The requisitions were not the worst of it. There were medical supplies to organise, to tend to the inevitable dullard too thick to yield a lost a bout. Tents and pavilions to seat contestants and observers alike. Horses for the mounted combats. Food and water for participants, oil for weapons. Most, mercifully, were now more or less prepared, if not by Isana than by one of the pages under her direction, or some other poor soul who had the audacity to admit to not wanting any part in bludgeoning another knight in the public eye.

Instead, she found herself handling registrations.

"It could be worse." A familiar mop of dirty blond hair bobbed out of the stairwell descending into Dyres district. Varner paused before the raised bench Isana had pressed into service as a desk, a steaming mug of something that smelt like a burning farmhouse cradled in one hand. He placed it down precariously close to her paperwork.
"Do describe how." It didn't make sense. The last time the pair had spoken the exchange had stopped just short of a full-blown row in the corridors. Now, here Varner was, all smiles. Isana didn't complain. She needed someone else fighting her like she needed a blade in the guts.
"You could be fighting me." Varner gave one of his characteristic winks and tapped the blank registration form, half-buried beneath a duty roster. "Name - well, I would hope you remember that, and -" He tapped the second column thoughtfully. "Let's say Blue Company, Gold Quadron of the Fighting First Regiment."
Isana's quill scrambled to catch up, a drop of ink seeping into the deep oak of the bench.

Nicholas Varner - Blue Company, Gold Quadron, First Regiment

Once it stilled, she glanced up, eyebrow raised. "The Fighting First?"
"Yes, it has a certain ring to it, wouldn't you say? I had best practice to be worthy of the term." The knight grinned and ran a hand over the pommel at his waist. "Enjoy yourself, Isana." He said, tone suggesting that he knew exactly little she would. Varner grinned and it was Isana who broke eye contact first, gaze settling on the pungent mug still squatting on her desk.

"You forgot your-" Isana eyed the cup and realised she'd never seen its like before. "- drink." Varner just waved back.
"You keep it. You can owe me a coffee." His eyes darted back down the stairwell and the faint clinking of mail that drifted up the stone steps. "I suspect you'll need it more than I do." Varner vanished into the training ground's tiny grove, leaving her alone with the stinking drink, the clashing of blades, and the promise of a day's paperwork.

Yes. She winced and picked up the quill. I suspect you're right.

Last edited by Isana Lin on June 21st, 2014, 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
On indefinite leave, but still checks in from time to time.
Isana Lin
The Snark Knight

Words: 113969
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wynn Argall on June 18th, 2014, 6:46 pm

___

"Yes, but what I'm saying is he'd have a better chance with a sword and shield than that ridiculous thing you're both calling a weapon." Tareesa had long since dropped her customary sticky-sweet tones and was now relying heavily on disdain and sarcasm. "Just look at him!" She made a frustrated gesture at the fully armored Wynn, panting slightly beneath the heat, weight, and glare of his fellow squire. "He's almost beaten already, and he has yet to even compete."

Linnae, who had allowed Tareesa to finish - an uncommon nicety -, let out a condescending chuckle. "Oh please, Tareesa. You're just scared 'cause you're in the same division as he is, and you don't wanna lose to Wynn." Another chuckle followed at Tareesa's shocked and indignant gasp. "Don't act like Wynn is totally inept at fighting." She slapped Wynn on the back, the armor absorbing the brunt of the blow with a clunk. "He's been practicin' to boot. There's a lot more to him than just a gaudy headpiece on a haft, you know."

While Wynn did appreciate Linnae's unnaturally supportive stance regarding his abilities, he couldn't help but feel as if he were just a tool to be used by Linnae in the hopes that he would defeat Tareesa. All hopes aside, Tareesa was an exceptionally quick and delicate fencer. She used a small buckler paired with an estoc, giving her an advantage over heavily plated knights using two handed weapons with minimal blocking capabilities. The only thing Tareesa lacked was endurance. She was quick, nimble, and skilled at her weapon of choice, but if she could not finish a fight within the first few chimes, her chances fell immensely. At least, that had been what Wynn had gathered over the course of their training together. Tareesa was - and would probably always be - a duplicitous sort of woman. It was very likely she merely pretended to weaken over the longer drills in order to gain the upper hand should she ever be in a fight against her fellow squires. He just couldn't put it past her.

"I'm not worried about myself, Linnae." The disdain had grown to such epic proportions Wynn felt himself shrink down in his armor out of shame for just hearing her tone. "Don't act as though you're the only one with Wynn's interests in mind. We're all Ser Normit's squires." She turned back to face Wynn, giving him one of her smiles that didn't quite reach the eyes - an unnerving gesture, as always. "And I just don't think he's going to have much of a chance using that... 'axe'." She rolled her eyes as she let the undesirable word drip from her lips.

Linnae snorted, shaking her head. "I'm tellin' you, he's got just as good a chance as anyone." She pointed a finger at a group of squires that had been standing at the registry table - though it certainly seemed more like a paper laden bench that had been temporarily given the title of "desk". Two of them were shaking so loudly the clinking was audible to the trio some distance away. "Wynn could easily smash any one of them down." She threw a conspiratory wink back at Wynn. "Isn't that right, champ?" Never having been dealt with in such a chummy fashion before in regards to his relationship with Linnae, Wynn was only able to nod and blink a few times in confusion as a response. "See? He's even got confidence to spare." Tareesa, having decided the argument was going nowhere, only rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

The other squires had passed through the gate a few moments before the three arrived, but the desk was in a bit of confusion. It seemed a mug of something had been sitting on the wood and had been knocked by one of the knight's as they'd entered the training grounds, spilling the contents over everything. The single knight, a familiar looking woman with a perpetual scowl, was dealing with the problem as they approached. "Oh my!" Tareesa was the first to speak, her sugar-sweet tone returning as she let out a lady-like gasp at the unfortunate spectacle. "Sera Knight, is there anything we can do to help you?" Her concern only ran as deep as the words coming out of her mouth, as her face was decidedly amused. Linnae, taking it a step further, picked up the mug and placed it back on the bench. "Well that's a real shyke-show, isn't it?" Her voice and face both had a practical frown to them, a slight show of concern mixed mostly with annoyance that their registration was going to be delayed.

Judging from the expression of the woman before them, Wynn doubted either the girls' responses had been helpful in the least, so he knelt down, clinking in his armor, and offered the woman frown. "Is there anything I can do to help?" He voice was uncertain, but he didn't want the knight to think all three of them completely useless. Still, aside from extracting every last bit of the brown liquid from the stained parchment, he wasn't sure if there was anything anyone could do.

___
Wynn Argall
Player

Words: 98630
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2014, 6:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Isana Lin on June 22nd, 2014, 8:02 am

"Thank you, but unless you happen to have a dozen scribes hiding beneath that breastplate, I doubt it." Isana picked up a sopping pile of parchment, dropped it atop another pile of coffee-stained work rosters with a wet splat. She brushed her hands on her trousers, ran a hand across her forehead, and scowled at assembled squires, the knights walking behind them, and the training grounds in general. Three days worth of work on this blasted tournament, slowly sinking into the timber bench in liquefied fragments. As though that were not enough, she suspected a fair quantity of Varner's gift had made its stinking way into her inkwell.

It wouldn't be enough to scrap the thing altogether, of course. That would have been too much to hope for. Most, if not all, of the physical fetching and carrying required for the tournament had already been taken care of, but replacing the damaged work would be the work of a few She peeled a trio of seating lists from the table, praying the parchment would hold, added them to the pile, and eyed the first of the squires – the one with the sickly-sweet smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. None of the three wore sword pins, but there was something in that girl's expression that suggested she thought that she ought to. Innocent enough to charm a jailer, that one. I'll just bet that she would, too.
"Take these. Array them out on the other benches to dry, move them into the sun if you have to.” Coffee dripped between her fingers as she handed the drenched paperwork to the squire. The smug smirk froze on the girl's face. Shouldn't have offered to help than, should you? Perhaps she could still save a handful of pages for tomorrow. Perhaps she could still chance a bell's sleep tonight. Perhaps the stands would catch fire before the tournament and save everyone the trouble. Somehow, though she doubted it. The world was full of perhaps, and precious few of them tended to land on her side.

"As for you two, I imagine you're here to register?" They were a strange pair, the armoured youth and his female companion – both fit, from what she could see around the armour, though that was more the rule than the exception in the training grounds – but the difference in attitude was remarkable. The girl, all practical honesty, and the boy with his quiet sincerity and an air of familiarity that she could not quite place. She didn't dwell on it. Isana saw plenty of knights and knights-to-be each day. It was quite possible that she'd seen the boy elsewhere. Interesting. An odd pair indeed. What patron groups them so, I wonder.

The monsoon of coffee had, thankfully, contended itself with devouring her completed paperwork, and she retrieved a more or less dry sheet of parchment from the far side of the bench, brushed an errant drop of the foul-smelling liquid onto the thirsty grass and placed the sheet before her.
"Nothing quite like a day of beating each other with sticks for the amusement of the viewing public, is there? Fantastic for building character, I'm told. Or perhaps it was belting characters. One forgets these things." She could have been discussing the weather from the trivial, faintly disinterested tone in her voice. May as well have been, for all the appeal it held to her. "That being the case, I'll need your name and, in the absence of a posting, that of your patron. I presume that neither of you will be competing in the arcane category?" Magic users were uncommon, but not rare enough that it was worth assuming anything. Particularly considering the sense of humour that some mages tended to have. "Although if you are, any capability you have to dry parchment would be most welcome." She added hopefully.
On indefinite leave, but still checks in from time to time.
Isana Lin
The Snark Knight

Words: 113969
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wynn Argall on June 26th, 2014, 4:43 am

___

The knight's reply was further emphasized by the soggy splat as she rearranged several documents, her scowl deepening into an impressive displace of facial acrobatics. Shaking his head to confirm that he did not, in fact, carry around a squadron of miniature scribes, Wynn rose and stepped back a few paces to allow the knight room to handle the situation as best she could. The three of them watched in silence, each wearing a separate expression: amusement, frustration, and concern. When the knight looked up again after tenderly piling up a stack of the worst of the papers, she turned her scowl on the three of them, her gaze resting on Tareesa - whose face quickly shifted from amused to a stark display of surprise as the knight spoke. Linnae let out a quick snort, the result of her holding her boisterous laughter in, as Tareesa seemed to move in a daze, taking the stack in her hands, the liquid dribbling down her fingers the moment they made contact, and drifting off towards a half-circle of benches a short distance away.

Not wasting any time, the knight rounded on the remaining two squires. Wynn felt his body shrink back slightly from the woman, a survival reflex. Linnae, on the other hand, stuck her hands to her hips and gave the knight an expectant look. Both nodded when asked if they'd come to register, though Wynn was the only one to glance back at Tareesa, who still moved in a dazed, confused sort of manner as she carefully placed the parchment on the benches to dry. He'd never seen her be so obedient nor thorough. She returned their affirmation with an contemplative flick of her eyes over their faces several times before placing a piece of mostly untouched parchment in front of her, dipping her quill and flicking the excess into the grass to the side.

The knight then spoke of the games in a fashion that was somewhere between ambivalence and contempt, though the tone was so even and easy, it was almost as if she barely thought about what she was even saying. Wynn and Linnae both exchanged a slight grimace at the little joke - if that had been the intent - concerning characters and the proper verb, but both remained respectfully silent. Once she'd finished listing off the required information, Linnae stepped forward, pushing Wynn back a little just in case he had a mind to go first. "Linnae Stanson, squire of Ser Normit Brock, reportin' for beltin'." She continued on, using her thumb to refer to Wynn. "And he can piss standin' up. If that's not magic-" She offered the knight a shrug before throwing Wynn a laughing grin.

Face turning several shades of pink darker, Wynn moved forward, almost flinching at a the slight hint of hope in her voice for a magical miracle worker. "I'm not really..." From the knight's expression, Wynn gathered she had no intention of believing Linnae's crude comment. "Right..." He cleared his throat, his cheeks now a burning red. "I'm Wynn Argall, squire to Ser Normit Brock." Having no witty comment to add, Wynn just stood there lamely as the knight scribbled in his name. When she'd finished, Tareesa had finally rejoined them, the shocked look had faded from her face. Her current expression was her typical smile that didn't reach the eyes, but Wynn was far more focused on the seething hatred that seemed the emanate from them. Shaking his head, Wynn blinked several times at her to signal she wasn't quite ready to approach the knight. For what may have been the first time in their entire time together, Tareesa took his advice, turning around and drawing in several controlled breaths before turning a questioning raise of her brow at him once more.

Nodding that that would do, Wynn sidled over to Linnae, waiting for Tareesa to give her information.
___
Wynn Argall
Player

Words: 98630
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2014, 6:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets