PM to join [Riverfall Waterpark] Fun & Fears (Alaia)

Alia ventures to the water park, even with her lack of swimming experience.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Riverfall Waterpark] Fun & Fears (Alaia)

Postby Alia Beaudouin on June 19th, 2014, 2:24 am

26th of Summer, 514

This was definitely not Alia’s best plan.
She was sitting at the edge of the main pool at the Riverfall Waterpark, timidly dipping her toes into the water. She hadn’t quite thought this through, had she?
She had learned from her experience at the SeafaireNot yet roleplayed out. that she wasn’t exactly the best swimmer, and though her practice there had helped, she still couldn’t handle the fast rapids that were the waterslides.

The waterpark had been quite the sight from the outside, with many rapids leading all the way down into the ocean, along with others that led only meters down before leveling out in small plunge pools along the cliffside. Once inside, the place looked even grander. Small gazebos dotted the park, with singles, couples, and even large groups chatting about inside. The actual pool, however, seemed a bit less impressive than the setup. An artificial lake, real in appearance, lay in the center of the park. It wasn’t exactly the biggest pool Alia had ever seen, but it seemed like it worked for the people of Riverfall.

There were plenty of people splashing around in the pool, jumping in, jumping out, throwing around floating balls, all sorts of things. At one point, some of the younger patrons of the waterpark had moved their game a bit too close to Alia, splashing her full-on when one dived into the shallow pool. Even though that had been nearly fifteen chimes ago, Alia was still soaking wet, as if she had jumped into the pool herself. Her hair seemed to retain water strangely well.

Timidly swishing her feet around in the water once again, Alia cast a glance over at the rapids where many of the swimmers- Even people younger than her- were jumping down the slides full force. With every person that jumped into the rushing water, Alia grew more certain that one of them wouldn’t return. She had seen how far down some of the slides went, there had to be some danger in there somewhere, hadn’t there?

She wouldn’t admit it for all the mizas in the world, but in all truth, Alia was scared of the waterfall-like slides. There hadn’t been many opportunities to swim back in Wind Reach, so she never quite learned. She had come to the park today to relax, not to jump down fifty foot freefalls into the ocean, so that was what she was going to do. Relax.

Unfortunately, it seemed a group of children many years younger than Alia had other plans, once again bringing their ball game too close to the red-haired woman and throwing water everywhere as they passed by. Alia tried to avoid the spray, but was quite unsuccessful in her attempts. She was once again soaked, this time giving up on trying to get dry.

Making sure she was well away from the entrance to the rapids, Alia eased herself into the water, surprised at how warm it was. The burning heat of the summer’s light must have warmed it well enough so that it was comfortable to swim in. Or, in Alia’s case, timidly wade in.

Inching her way past the kids who had so easily ruined her plans to avoid the water, Alia accidentally misplaced her foot where the water suddenly got deeper, slipping beneath the water. Even though the pool was barely large enough to be considered ‘Deep’, Alia still had a moment of shock before bringing her head back above water, now gifted with the lovely achievement of a mouthful of water.

Wading back towards the edge, Alia tried to pretend as if she had meant to do that, pushing her now wet and matted hair away from her face. Even with her experience with acting, though, she couldn’t help but show the tiniest bit of shock from the air being suddenly ripped from her lungs after the smallest of slips. She truly was pathetic, but fears were fears.

Once again returning to her perch on the poolside, Alia sighed and rested her chin in her hands, wondering how long she could watch the others play until she grew bored.
Alia Beaudouin
Not everything is better in red

Words: 167069
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2013, 7:44 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alaia on June 25th, 2014, 11:58 am

The water park wasn’t someplace Alaia would normally go, she didn’t like the crowds because there was too much of a chance that she could touch someone and she didn’t like the loud noises. She dealt with chaos enough at her job at the Gilia Medical Center so when she found her feet carrying her to this place full of one too many kids she frowned. The Konti kept back from people, her eyes wary and her lips drawn into a thin line. Nope, there was no joy in being here but she had heard on several accounts from the people in the city that she had to slide down their water slides just once! So here she was and dreading every moment of it.

The chimes passed and she stood in her quiet little corner of the park wrapped in her towel with the attempt to use it as a shield against skin to skin contact, anyone looking at the Konti would probably think she looked cold in the sweltering heat of the summer. Her eyes carefully took in all of those present as she tried to calculate a path that might leave her with the least amount of bodies to run in to. There were children running around playing tag, others wrestling each other in the water and even still more that dared each other to go off the biggest, baddest slide into the ocean. There were parents just keeping an eye on the little tykes making sure they were safe but also making sure they stayed out of trouble and didn’t bother to many people. Then there was a woman wading by herself in the water, she had seen her in previous eye scans of the area though that was when she was sitting on the edge of the pool.

Alaia tilted her head watching from the distance, she wasn’t being creepy she was just bored – at least until the redhead’s foot slipped and she fell under the water. The Konti’s instant reaction was to start for the girl because it did not look like she had done it on purpose but it was only a few ticks before she breached the water again and stood up looking a bit startled. Alaia let out a breath and paused in her step before taking another one closer, as she did a kid ran by her chasing another smaller version of himself, possibly a brother, and his parent followed suit. It was the parent who ran into her, a mother of some human race Alaia could only assume and as their arms brushed skin to skin the Konti’s breath caught and a story of the human’s life was told in Alaia’s mind. She felt the woman planning to leave her husband because she was cheating on him and she was about to give her boys the punishment of a life time because of whatever they just did.

Deep breaths were pulled through her nose and pushed out of her lips as she tried to shake the feeling of the woman’s life she had no desire to know from her bones. By the time the visions stopped the red head was sitting back on the edge of the pool and the Konti made her way over. “Do you mind … if I sit?” She spoke up loud enough to be heard over screaming kids but trying not to startle the girl either. “I saw you slip in the water, are you okay?” Her common was slow making it clear it wasn’t her native tongue but it was deliberate and precise in its delivery. If the redhead agreed to letting her sit with her Alaia would take up a seat beside her but keep space between them so they weren’t touching, her feet would dangle into the cool water and for a breath she just enjoyed the feel of the water between her webbed toes before she spoke again “I’m Alaia … You look about as happy to be here as I am.” She offered her words with a friendly smile.
Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Alia Beaudouin on June 26th, 2014, 8:26 pm

It seemed Alia had company.
It was strange for someone to approach her so openly, especially here. It seemed, though, that the woman wasn't having much fun either. She didn't seem wet, and her expression was much more solemn than the carefree children that frequented the pool. She didn't even seem to want to get in the pool, or really, anywhere near it. She seemed almost fearful of either the water or the people in it. Alia could relate.

She had barely even gotten in the water and was already sick of it, despite the wonderful weather for swimming. It seemed everyone else was happy, though, laughing, splashing, having some good fun in the warm waters. Alia wondered how the water stayed warm, though. It wasn't as if there was any real way to heat it. It was probably something hidden that warmed it, or the pool was magecrafted, however that worked. It wasn't as if Alia would know, she knew almost nothing about magic, besides the fact that it was dangerous.

The woman that had sat down next to Alia began talking, asking if she could sit. Alia wasn't going to stop her, so she motioned for the woman to sit down beside her. It was silent for a few ticks before the woman spoke once again, this time, asking about her fall.
Alia had practically forgotten about the slip, though it had only happened chimes before. She was touched that the woman was concerned, though.
"No... No, I'm fine... I didn't hurt anything, promise." She smiled at the woman, trying to reassure her. "I'm... Glad you care, though." Was glad really the right word? She didn't exactly need anyone to notice her failure at swimming, but it wasn't horrible.

As the conversation continued, the woman introduced herself as Alaia. Alia near laughed out loud at that, remembering her conversation with two other A-names that season alone. Alyra, and Atoll. It seemed Riverfall was full of As in the summer. Realizing she seemed to be laughing at nothing, Alia soon explained.

"Sorry for laughing, it's just..." Alia chuckled again softly, rethinking it. "You're the third A-Named person I've met this season alone. Not including myself."

What chance was there that everyone in Riverfall had an A in their name? Alia, Alaia, Alyra, Atoll... Someone in this city had to be more original. An L, perhaps?

For a while, the woman stopped talking, allowing Alia the chance to speak. Speak about what, though, she didn't know. Beneath her charismatic exterior as an actor, Alia was truly terrible at small talk. Especially with strangers. Especially if she had no idea what to talk about. They were two women who didn't want to swim yet went to the pool. It was quite ironic, in a way. Alia was scared of the water, and Alaia seemed to be scared of people, yet here they were, at the public pool.

Alia sighed as she thought about her lack of swimming knowledge. It wasn’t as if it was her fault, she never had the chance to swim in Wind Reach, living on a volcano, but she still felt as if it was a weakness. Something that needed to be overcome. In fact, maybe today was the day it would be overcome.

She flashed a look over at the rushing water of the rapids as they flew down the cliff, taking children much younger, yet much braver, than Alia down with them. She imagined herself daring to jump into one of the streams, even a small one, and immediately shivered. What if she hit a rock? Missed an exit at the smaller plunge pool? What if she fell all the way to the ocean? She barely knew how to swim, how could she dive head-first into deep waters?
Who knows what was waiting for her at the bottom? Sharks? Piranhas? Octopi?
Alia shook her head at that. She truly was a coward.

As another child jumped down into the falls, laughing all the way, Alia tried to stop herself from imagining all the ways he could hit his head, to no avail. It wasn’t even as if a hit to the head would hurt him; Akalak children were built like rocks.

Returning her mind from the daydreams, or really, day-nightmares, Alia turned her attention to Alaia, who had by now dipped her feet into the water, gently swinging them back and forth, creating ripples. Despite the constant noise going on right in front of them, Alia couldn’t help but feel as if it was just them, alone in the room. That is, if you could call it a room. It was half outside, half inside, and one-hundred-percent filled with water.

”So… I know I have no real reason to be here either, but… If you dislike it here so much, why’d you come?”

It wasn't her best conversation starter, but Alia decided to introduce herself anyways. Sticking out her hand for Alaia to shake, Alia spoke.
"My names' Alia, by the way. The fourth A of Riverfall."
Alia Beaudouin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alaia on June 30th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Alaia’s eyes widened slightly when the girl she chose to sit with started laughing after she was given her name. Oh for the love of Rak’keli why is she laughing? Did I say something wrong in Common? I’m pretty sure I said everything right, it’s not like I tried to act like I knew a word for certain medical things. Alaia still had trouble remembering the common translations for medical procedures sometimes. Kavala would be disappointed in her but really it was just the obscure medical treatment that she didn’t see day in and day out so she figured she could have a break with that. Anyways back to why this woman was laughing. Alaia was thoroughly confused for a tick until the woman finally spoke up.

"Sorry for laughing, it's just...You're the third A-Named person I've met this season alone. Not including myself."

Alaia’s mouth relaxed into a smile and she chuckled along with the red head realizing there were quite a few A named people she had met recently. The silence that spread between them after that moment didn’t bother Alaia she just kept playing her toes in the water until the other woman spoke again, this time introducing herself and asking why Alaia was here. “Nice to meet you Alia…” she laughed softly at the similarities in their names and that Alia was an A as well. There really were a lot of A’s, perhaps it was a trend or something? “…Maybe all our parents were lazy and just didn’t want to look past the A in the alphabet?” She teased lightly and glanced out at the children playing as she thought on how to answer Alia’s question.

It was a loaded answer and one she wasn’t going to explain to someone she just met so after a chime she shrugged a shoulder casually and then slipped into the water with a little plop. The water rippled around her and she rested her fingers on the tops of it so they could feel the movement of it between her fingers and webs. She figured if she was so close to the water she might as well get wet.“I was told I should come visit by a local, apparently they thought if I was going to live here I had to experience the water slides at least once.” Alaia grinned suddenly and looked behind her and then looked back at Alia “Let’s get it over with. It should be better with someone then on our own.”

There was excitement in her voice about the slides, she actually wanted to feel that rush of falling but it was wading through the crowds that she was dreading. The Konti let her body drop then, letting the water rush over her torso and over her head until she was completely soaked and enveloped by the pool. She stayed under for only a few ticks before she came back up, her pale wavy hair now straight as a board as it clung to her frame. With a lick of her lips Alaia grinned to the red head and nodded towards the slides “Well what do you think? We can go down the slides or we can sit here and stare at people looking like the most uncomfortable women in Riverfall.” If Alia agreed to go with her the Konti would place her hands on the edge of the pool and pull herself out of the water so that they could walk there figuring it would be easier to avoiding touching on land then in the water.

Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Alia Beaudouin on July 12th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Well, at least now they were getting wet. Or, at least, Alaia was.
Alia still sat indecisively on the edge of the pool, wondering whether she should dare tell Alaia about her fear of basically everything currently in the room. She couldn’t swim, was afraid of heights, and most definitely was not going down that cliff.

Unfortunately, that seemed to be exactly was Alaia wanted.

After dipping down into the water, almost disappearing from Alia’s sight, Alaia reappeared, soaking wet and smiling. Alia soon smiled back, though when the Konti nodded towards the slides, she hesitated. Alaia obviously wanted to go down the slides, be it with Alia or without. The woman didn’t seem like the adventurous type, but it seemed she was pretty set on going down the falls.

Then again it wasn’t as if Alia had many options. The falls were the main attraction to the waterpark, and, even if she refused Alaia’s invitation, there wasn’t much else the pair could do. Sure, they could simply wade in the pool, but there was only so much one could do in a pool. Anyways, it seemed Alaia had an aversion to the pool, or something in it, so Alia’s options were narrowed still.

Shaking her head, Alia forced on a smile.
”Sure, why not try the falls?”
Strangely, instead of swimming the short route to the cliff opening, Alaia climbed out, stood up, and waited for Alia. Hesitantly, she followed.

Pushing her wet hair out of her eyes, Alia wondered just how rational her fear really was. It wasn’t as if the slide would kill her, no, someone would probably help her first. Then again, why was she afraid at all? Children much younger than her could do it, so why couldn’t she? Assuring herself, Alia kept on repeating a single phrase in her mind. It will be fine.

Following Alaia’s lead, Alia made her way past the water, approached the cliff edge, and, after quite a lot of hesitation, jumped.

Immediate regret came ticks after.
Because Alia had so tightly squeezed her eyes shut, she hadn’t taken into account where she would land. Or, rather, swim. She skipped past many of the higher-up plunge pools, and soon there wasn’t exactly many left. The thought only occurred to her right after she had zoomed past the last plunge pool before the ocean.

Alia had no idea where Alaia was, nor where she was going, but when she finally forced open her eyes and caught a glimpse of just how far up she was from the beach, her immediate reaction was to stop at all costs. She shot out her arm randomly, only succeeding in dragging it along the cliffside. This was not the best idea, however, if one was heading towards seawater, as rocks and skin did not work very well together. Nor did salt on an open cut.

As Alia finally reached the bottom of the slide, plunging into the saltwater of the ocean at the end of the slide, she finally felt the sting of the wound that had appeared on the way down due to her futile attempt at slowing down. Her hand felt as if it was on fire, though Alia managed to keep calm enough to work her way through the water to the surface. If a rational thought had made its way through her panicking mind, Alia probably would have thought about how unbelievably stupid she looked, swimming like an untrained child, moving towards the beach. All the while biting her tongue to keep from calling out.

Reaching the beach, Alia finally took the chance to wonder where Alaia had gotten to, and finally feel just how badly even a small cut could sting when exposed to salt.
Alia Beaudouin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Mayhem1 on November 16th, 2014, 4:14 am

You're an excited PC roaming around a thread.

You're not paying attention that the story's over.

Then...BAM! You're hit with a Grade.

I'm Mayhem, the ever-present Junior ST of Cyphrus. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM! And please, please remove or edit your grading request once you see this. Thank you!

Alia Beaudouin
XP
  • Swimming - 1
  • Socialization - 1
  • Observation - 1
LORES
  • Fear of the Water
  • Alaia: Cares
  • Alaia: Third A-name This Season
MISCELLANEOUS
  • A painful scrape on the hand that would've healed by fall.

Alaia
XP
  • Observation - 1
  • Socialization - 1
LORES
  • Concern for Alia
  • Being the Third A-Name
    Alia: Similar Names

Notes: I'm sorry the thread ended so early. It looked like it would've been fun to read more of the apprehension from both of them about being at the splash park - and what happened to Alaia.

With Regards,
- Mayhem
Syliras ★ threads: 0/4
Mayhem1
what the knights are protecting you from

Words: 12697
Joined roleplay: November 2nd, 2014, 4:35 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook