Solo A Nasty Surprise

Exactly

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Nasty Surprise

Postby Brandon Blackwing on July 1st, 2014, 1:03 pm

The 30th of Summer 514AV

The sun was shining brightly, the sky was unclouded and a bright blue, the skyglass glittered in the light of Syna’s rays, the celestial city looked more like the Diamond of Kalea than it ever had before. In short; it was a wonderful summer day. However, even though it was summer and Syna shone relentlessly, it wasn’t really warm due to the high altitude. It was one of the perks of living on top of a mountain, though the winters were colder than anywhere else. In this season Brandon was grateful for the cool mountain air and the cold breeze that seemed to blow constantly today.

Today Brandon had gone for a stroll once again, his light clothes thin enough to keep his body pleasantly cool even when the sun scorched the earth, and so did the breeze, as well as playing with his cloak. He wasn’t hooded, he never was during the day, unless of course he was up to no good. He had enough money to last for a while still, and his mood was excellent. Because the weather had been nice since spring he’d been able to go out for nightly hunts again, which had also improved his mood quite a lot.

His stroll had lasted longer than usual, probably because of the weather and the bustling business of the citizens, the yells and proclaiming shouts of the merchants wanting to sell their wares and the beauty of the river beneath the bridge, which had made him stop by every now and then. Right now he was headed home, it was late in the afternoon already, and the bat was hungry, he hadn’t eaten since this morning, having skipped lunch while strolling, only having purchased a snack underway. It had been enough to postpone the need to feed for a couple of hours, but now it was back again. Oh well, he was almost home, then he could stuff his belly as full as he wanted.

Within a couple of chimes, the Kelvic had reached his residence, located somewhere in the outskirts of Lhavit’s Zentia Peak. It wasn’t really big, nor clean and he did not have a lot of furniture either, but it was home, and the bat liked it. Unfortunately, it had assumed a less homey feel that last season and a half. There was no longer anyone who waited at home, he was alone once again. He could sleep in his own bed again, true, but he missed the girl’s hyper-happiness and strange antics, her clumsiness when she’d manage to fall over his sleeping body once again, her inability to cook or even make tea… Her annoyance when he dragged her along to the Azure because he needed her to help him pick his clothes, he missed her. He truly did. Engghean was a sister to him, a little-but-actually-older sister. Her leave had saddened him, but it wasn’t like there had been another way, the Shinya had been looking for her, charging her with murder… Escaping had been the only option, though he wished there had been another way.

And that was what made the bat suspecting something was off when he fished the key to his house –a worthless skeleton key that only opened his own and a certain swindler’s door- out of his pocket. His keen ears intercepted sounds produced by something on the other side of the door, the cracking of fire was one of them. Strange… I do not remember making a fire this morning… But even if I had made one, wouldn’t it have been doused by now? And there’s no-one in the city who is staying here, except myself… A burglar? But why would they make a fire? I have no clue who and why, but one thing is certain, there is someone waiting for me behind that door!

That was not all, when he pushed the knob slowly and silently –it took a tick of twenty to do so without alarming the people inside- the door proved to be unlocked, and opened a bit. There now was a gap between the door and the frame through which the thief could peek, but he couldn’t dally for long, the wind could now make its entrance as well, and would betray his arrival. Quickly, he peered inside and counted three persons inside, one was seated on a stool near the fireplace, and two others stood nearby, staring into the flames as well. It wasn’t said that there weren’t any others hidden in places he couldn’t see, but there was no time to wait longer, he had to make his move now if he wanted to have the element of surprise on his side. Fingers wrapped around the hilt of one of his daggers, the feel of it told him it was Abaserozt he was holding, and unsheathed it, making the bat feel a little safer.

With one hand he pushed the door open, the hinges moaned in protest –Brandon never oiled them since he wanted to hear when someone was trying to sneak in- and his other hand was drawn next to his head, wrist cocked. The Kelvic wouldn’t kill the men inside, just incapacitate them, his eyes were fixed on the sitting man’s leg and with a swift and supple movement of arm and wrist, he sent the Ender of Life flying towards its new target. He missed though, the bat wasn’t very proficient with weapons yet, and though the aim had been good, the force applied was too little, the dagger piercing a leg of wood instead of flesh with a dull thud. All three men were startled by this dagger suddenly sticking out of the stool, Bran decided the throw had been a warning. “Don’t you guys know that trespassing is a crime? What are you doing in my house?”

“Ah, so you must be Brandon,” the sitting man stated, ignoring the bat’s question,
“I was hoping I’d you find you here.”

c

Credit goes to Ollic
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Nasty Surprise

Postby Brandon Blackwing on July 1st, 2014, 8:02 pm

Brandon narrowed his eyelids at the mention of his name. Who was this guy? How did he know his name? No-one knew his name, all that did were not in the city anymore. No-one had ever heard the name Brandon Of The Black Wings befo- oh, wait… Scratch that, he had told quite a few how he was called, the people in the smith’s shop, random people he’d met, future business contacts… Only, he’d never told anyone where he lived, that was the one thing that bothered him. Officially, there was no Brandon Blackwing domiciled in the city of Lhavit, so how could he have been found?

The person on the stool smirked, one corner of his mouth curling up, hoisted up by one end of his thin moustache it seemed. Black orbs darted through the room, scanning for more than three intruders, but he found none except the three he’d spotted prior to his entrance. Then his eyes focused on the figure of the man in front of the hearth, taking in all details he could see, how he carried himself, how he was dressed, all that sort of things. First he’d need to tear his gaze away from that annoying smirk of the guy though.

The observation started with the man’s clothing; black robes with purple thread stitched through them, displaying a pattern that resembled waves –or were those flames? It was hard to tell, but it was a fine piece of high quality tailoring, at least that much the bat could tell. A black and gold belt was buckled around his waist, and fine black leather boots fitted around his feet. Draped over his shoulders, chest and his shoulder blades as well was a heavy piece of jewelry, some sort of chain of gold squares –it resembled a necklace, but it was too big and heavy to be such a thing. On his fingers there was no abundance of rings, however he did wear some, big gold ones with a black stone or crystal set in it.

He was rich no doubt, and his build reinforced this observation, not only did the man look healthy and well-fed, he appeared to be a little too well-fed. The man’s face did not have a clear jawline, instead the man’s neck and face appeared to be one and the same, though one could discern his chin when studying him long enough. Under his beak-like nose, a thin and carefully trimmed moustache grew, its color an artificial black. Brandon guessed the man was growing grey hairs, and painted his facial hair to hide that fact and his age. The wrinkles that were etched in the skin of his face nullified those efforts though. Lastly, the bat set his gaze on the hair of the black-clad man, as well kempt as his moustache, and as black as it could be, also as fake-looking as the whiskers. It was combed back over his skull, and kept in place with some kind of pomade, the bat suspected, as it glittered in the light of the fire and there also hung a scent of apples in the room, but that could also have been the guy’s perfume.

That was all the bat needed to see before that description ringed a bell, his eyes turned cold, his hands each grabbed a dagger from underneath his cloak and he almost hissing he spoke : “You are Mr. Black, aren’t you?”
“I have been called by that name before, yes,” he grinned, “My name is Solomon Kriegsfelt, but I’d prefer you call me Mr. Kriegsfelt or master Kriegsfelt or ……. boss.” He gestured to one of the other guys that occupied Bran’s flat, a nod was returned in understanding.

The two approached the bat, who lashed out with a slash of his blade when they came too close, yet they did not halt, instead both continuing their march. A second swiping of metal was stopped by a hand grabbing Brandon’s wrist like a vice, while the other of the duo pounded the thief’s stomach. Winded, the bat gasped for breath and fell to his knees, sucking in the air while his stomach ached, the punches still lingering on the nerve endings of the assaulted area. “It’s a good thing to see you know your place: on your knees, crawling over the floor like the pest your kind is.” spoke Kriegsfelt.
The flame of rage was sparked again, Brandon’s eyes flared with fury and pain ceased to exist for a moment, as Brandon planted his boot steadily on the floor, almost jumping back on his feet, screaming: “So I am a piece of trash to you!?” If not for a big hand roughly pushed him back down, but the words had already left his mouth.
“Trash?” Mr. Black sounded amused, “Yes, that is exactly what you are. Trash. But you are mistaken if you think you are that just to me,” he grinned widely Everyone thinks you are a piece of trash!”

c

Credit goes to Ollic

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Nasty Surprise

Postby Brandon Blackwing on July 2nd, 2014, 7:28 pm

“What did you say?!” fumed Brandon, being insulted was nothing new, but he was fed up with these people’s way of repeatedly breaking the bat down to the ground, first Dimitri, now this guy. Was that a requirement or something? ‘Insult Brandon, otherwise you are no true member of my organization and I will kill your daughter.’ Anyway, the Blackwing decided it was time he’d show he would not tolerate that kind of speech any longer, once again he rose to his feet, faster this time and with little warning and took a quick step forward, grabbing the fallen dagger he had dropped just a chime ago, stabbing the sharp point through the air, aimed for Kriegsfelt’s belly.

But yet again he failed, a gigantic hand enclosed his wrist for the second time, halting the weapon with ease. Annoyed and frustrated, the Kelvic’s eyes shifted to the man, and Bran noticed only then that the bodyguard-looking fellows had escaped his observant gaze, both were tall and muscular and blue. Well, it wasn’t the first time he’d seen someone with such unusual skin color, but it was surprising all the same. “You shouldn’t have done that,” the grabber said with a sadistic smile painted on his blue mug, as he clenched a gigantic fist, preparing to aim a blow at Brandon no doubt.

Cold sweat broke out as a fist of the same size of about half Brandon’s face cut through the air, whispering promises of pain, soreness and a broken nose. The thief’s eyes opened wide, as he let out a panic-inspired squeal and ducked –his wrist still captive, but it hindered the bat’s movement not. It appeared the bodyguard had stopped thinking when he’d wrapped his fingers around the bat’s wrist. Never mind the giant’s size, it seemed he only had the brain capacity of a walnut. And then some dared to question a Kelvic’s intelligence! It was just outrageous.

So Bran managed to avoid his face being smashed like a pumpkin, though there was one thing he’d forgotten: there were two of them. The second of the blue duo whacked the Kelvic in the back, something cracked unmistakably, Bran hoped it were the bodyguard’s fingers, and not his own spine. Several more hits formed one beating, and after that the bat was tossed aside like a ragdoll, skidding over the wood after crashing down on it. A coppery tang filled his mouth, and he could barely move, let alone stand back up. Dimitri may have given him a thorough beating as well, but that was nothing in comparison to the strength of these guys’ blows, but hey, at least he still had the weapon in his possession.

Not for long though, one of the enormous blue-skinned men had noticed and planted his foot on the wrist, the pain too much for the bat and he had to let go of his blade, which was kicked away immediately. Then, that battered wrist was twisted behind his back painfully, used to position the bat back on his knees, but his wrist was not released even after cooperating. Now Brandon was completely helpless, at the mercy of Mr. Black. Not quite what Bran would have liked to experience, not at all.

“Hm, I like that look in your eyes,” Mr. Kriegsfelt nodded in approval, “It’s the spark of a man who knows he is defeated, but has no desire to give up yet. Well, at least you have a spine, that’s nice for a change. Know though, that I will enjoy breaking you, like I did to your predecessor. Don’t worry, it won’t take long, but it will be as despair inducing.”He chuckled briefly, seemingly enjoying himself. Brandon merely snorted “And what exactly is it you want from me? I am not joining your little group, if that’s what you are here for!”
“Oh? Yes, that denial is just so amusing! However, you do not seem to understand the situation you are in Brandon, I am not here to ask you to join me. No no, if I would want you to join then I would demand you to join, not ask. But that’s not the point. You have already banded together with my forces, I just came to remind you of that fact.”
“And when exactly did that happen, huh?” The arrogance with which this Kriegsfelt spoke and stated all kinds of nonsense annoyed to the bat to no end.
“Long time ago. The point of a dull tale like that is that you owe me. Big time.”
“I don’t owe anyone! Ramble all you like, your nonsense will not convince me of anything!”
“Hmmmm… really? I wonder though how you received such a beautiful little apartment like this. You ‘stole’ it, correct?”
Brandon was taken aback, how the hell did this guy know- oh, well it wasn’t like the bat looked like he could ever afford to buy a house himself. “I prefer to call it ‘borrowing’, but yes, indeed.”
“You used a skeleton key to unlock this shelter, did you not?”
Again, how and where the hell had Solomon Kriegsfelt obtained that information, intelligence he had shared with no-one, absolutely no-one. “Correct.”
“Well now, Brandon, what if I tell you that that key was no skeleton key but a genuine one?”
That was the moment Brandon’s whole world scattered into tiny pieces.

c

Credit goes to Ollic

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Nasty Surprise

Postby Brandon Blackwing on July 3rd, 2014, 12:47 pm

What? What was that supposed to mean? His skeleton key was not what he thought it was, it was a real key? Impossible! It had been part of a toolkit he’d bought from a shady merchant quite a while back, the man had explained how to use the lockpicks, clamps, wedge and hammer and everything else! This could not be possible! It could not possibly be a true key, it just couldn’t! The onyx orbs shot to the smug look on Mr. Black’s face, once again the man seemed to find Brandon’s bewilderment entertaining. “That cannot be! It is impossible! I have utilized this key on more than one door, and it has opened another one than the one that locks my flat!”

“Hmm… Indeed, well, I suppose you should try to remember the merchant you bought the key from, and recall the memory of how you found this place here.” Solomon Kriegsfelt let out a brief chuckle, apparently he enjoyed every moment of this day. Brandon obliged anyway, returning his gaze to the floor, frowns emerged on his forehead. Recalling that couple of memories… easier said than done. Back then Brandon hadn’t been half as observant as he was now, the details were foggy, and remembering was not a task he could complete on demand. Memories just surfaced from time to time, but if he actually wanted to recall something of times long past, the scene, elusive as it was, just sunk further into his mind, out of reach. The bat settled with a shrug instead. “I have no recollection of that time.”

“Well, I am not going to explain everything to you, that would be a waste of time. If you can’t remember than that is your problem. All you need to know is that that key is genuine.” The man rolled the tip of his mustache between his fingers, grinning his pearly teeth bare.
“I don’t believe you! Then how come I was able to open Dimitri’s door with it? I bet you don’t have a clue how that would be possible, right?!”
“Mmm. So it was you after all, I figured. Dimitri did say there were some complications he had to deal with. He must have meant you. I take it you are also responsible for his disappearance and the fire that burned that house to the ground?” It wasn’t really a question, but Brandon answered anyway, proud as he was for being the one that had set the swindler free.

“I see.” There was a shimmer of anger in his eyes and his face showed it momentarily as well. “Well, that makes you indebted to me even more. Dimitri’s house was my property, actually. And so is yours.” Once again the muscles in Solomon’s face twisted his expression into a mean grin. “I have –had, sorry- about four extra residences in this city, though now that you have destroyed one, I only have three. And all of those small apartments have the same lock, and as a result can be opened by the same key.”

The bat’s eyes had assumed the size of saucers, big because of the shock. Everything was not what it had seemed; the key was not a skeleton key, his house was not stolen but given to him, everything was a setup! Nothing was real, nor a coincidence. “I see you understand, indeed, you have been kept alive because I was so kind to lend you a place to stay. Now I have come to ask for rent. Hahahaha!” This was not happening, this could not be happening! This was not real, it was all but a dream! It had to be!

“I will ask no money of you, however, you work for me now. There will be times I will need your service and you will do what you are asked. It won’t be anything too hard, just some little jobs every now and then. It’s not like you have a choice, but I’ll ask anyway: what say you?” Oh, he wanted a response? He’d get a response, but not the one he wanted to hear. Dimitri had warned him this day would come, and he had said something very important: Mr. Black couldn’t touch him. He could not force him to do his bidding, he could not blackmail him, he couldn’t pressure him with threats to kill someone close to him. The bat grinned as well, flicked his head up and stared Mr. Kriegsfelt in the eye. He smiled politely and then spitted a blob of thick mucus on the man’s robes. “Go petch yourself!” he replied in the most friendly tone he could manage, beaming the man a wide smile.

Needless to say, the insulted man did not take that response kindly, wiping the phlegm off his clothes with a handkerchief and with a face red as a tomato, veins pulsing on his forehead, eyebrows that almost pointed skywards and orbs that shot lightening to the bat, Solomon grunted “That was a foolish thing to do. I will not tolerate such insolence! Bragha, Dragha! Teach that filth some manners!” The two dark blue giants did not speak, but replied with a sadistic smile instead. The one holding Brandon’s arm behind his back started twisting it to the point that the thief could not help but to scream in agonizing pain. However, it did not take long before the enormous warrior found that there were less boring ways to hurt someone and he slammed his fist against the bat’s face, who fell to the ground due to the impact. It did not stop there though, both titans now started kicking, stomping and beating the fallen Kelvic relentlessly. Brandon had no choice but to desperately defend himself, it didn’t help much though.

Then, it stopped. The two stepped back, the bat heard, but he did not stand back up. He couldn’t, though he felt he had no serious injuries, the giant feet that had tormented him had left their mark on his body. Marks that would become as blue as the giants’ skin within a couple of days or bells maybe. The thief kept lying there, his arms protecting his head, eyes pinched to a close, knees pushing against his chest.

“I said this before, Brandon, you don’t have a choice. Unless of course you don’t mind what happens to that cute girl …. Oh, you know who I mean, pale skin, long black hair, bright blue eyes..?” Engghaen? No! Gods, no! Not her, not Engghaen! Everyone but her! Dimitri!!!! That shyke-petching swindler had lied to him! ‘You have no-one you hold dear in this city’, yeah right! Like hell he hadn’t! They petching knew about Engghaen! “If you even dare to touch Enggy, I will- I will-!”
“Oh? Persistent aren’t you? Don’t worry, as long as you cooperate I won’t lay a finger on her. Know though that I have some people following her. I suspect Dimitri told you what the price of disobedience is? Good, well then, I’ll take my leave.” Elegantly, the man strode to the door, and before he passed through it looked back at the pitiful figure of the Kelvic lying on the floor, trying to get up, arms –and his whole body- trembling. “Have a nice day.”

As soon as the door was shut, the bat gave up his attempts to stand up, falling back to the ground. The tough act was unneeded, there was no-one here to watch, no-one but himself. Tears formed and streamed down, gently caressing his cheeks with their wet, salty touch. A soft sobbing escaped his throat, and once more the bat rolled up to a ball, he wanted to become so compact he’d just disappear. This could not be, this could not be! This was all a bad dream, it couldn’t be real, it shouldn’t be! Engghaen, why did they have to know about her? If they hadn’t he would have been safe, he could have just escaped their grasp, but now that was not possible. Why? Why, why, why, why?! Why did it have to come to this, why was he so … powerless? Why did it have to be him, couldn’t it have been someone else? He sighed, reality was harsh, to him it was anyway. There was nothing he could do about it, but he could try and find a way out, a way out that would harm no-one that did not deserve it. If there was such solution, if there was a happy ending, he thought grimly.

Happy birthday, Bran, happy birthday.

c

Credit goes to Ollic

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Nasty Surprise

Postby Raien Ironarm Pitrius on July 20th, 2014, 2:34 am

XP Award!

Name: Brandon Blackwing

XP Award:
Observation +3
Stealth +1
Dagger +3

Lore Award:
Lhavit: A Comfortable Climate
Engghean: A Longed for Friend
Stealth: Silently Approaching an Unexpected Trio
Dagger: Missing a Mark
The Dangers of Spreading a Name
Observation: Sizing up Unexpected Company
Mr. Black: Solomon Kriegsfelt, Boss
Humbled at the feet of Mr. Black
Mr. Black: Untouchable?
Not a Skeleton Key?!
Mr. Black: Already Brandon's Boss?
Mr. Black: Landlord?
A Birthday to Remember
Enggy at Risk!

Injuries/Consequences:

Severe Bruising: Brandon now has or will have multiple bruises all around his face and skull. Along with one or two on his gut, though the latter will mostly just be sore. Said 'wounds' will be all too noticeable for the next day or two, though they will deflate just as noticeably thereafter. And will be entirely gone by week's end. However, soreness will persist for the next day or two even after they have faded from sight.

Grader Comments:
Truly Bran, you're a better writer than I thought! I'm glad I've become a Grader, its given me a chance to follow all the little intricate and expertly writing plots in and around Lhavit. Including this one. I'll be looking forward to more Bran, I hope you don't disappoint. :)
Raien Ironarm Pitrius
Blackarm the Strong

Words: 109742
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets