Closed Teach the Waves how to Sigh

We know nature, but our art is more than just wild. (Calters pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Teach the Waves how to Sigh

Postby Gwin on July 31st, 2014, 4:45 pm

Summer 82, 514 AV

Most cities thrived on water. If there wasn’t a stream running through or beside them, they were built by the sea. Riverfall had both fresh and salt water, a rare combination. Gwin had approached the city, for the second time, like the Akvatari she was: by skipping the rooftops and heading straight for the beach. The bay with various shops and establishments built by the seaside enchanted her, but sometimes she needed to get away from the people, get an overview from the distance.

Once she hit the open sea, a reflection to the north caught her attention. Turquoise butterfly wings carrying her along the shore, Gwin discovered a natural formation that intrigued her enough to bind her vagrant tendencies. She lingered to inspect it in detail. Water was flowing over dark matter… a lava stream, dried and crusted over. A few people were enjoying the weather nearby, yet none came too close.

The borrowed map identified the landmark as Valkalah’s Tears, a beautiful name ringing with a faint promise. Gwin stored the roll in her satchel, left the shore and plunged underwater. The marine life still took her breath away. Apparently Riverfall hadn’t only been shaped above ground, one tier built over another, but also under the surface. No wonder it attracted many Konti… or had they been there before, creating their own paradise beneath the waves? The Akvatari didn’t know. Her furry tail propelled her into deeper parts where she’d be alone.

A bell or two later she surfaced and returned to Valkalah’s Tears, claiming a solitary spot near the place where it hit the water. When her hair had returned from dripping wet to curly and slightly drier, she opened the waterproof violin case and ran a hand over her instrument.

At first she only played meaningless series of notes, a few short and disjointed melodies to stretch her fingers. The long days and disturbed nights during the journey had rusted them… now they were dancing over the fingerboard again. Soon flying. Perhaps she should try and capture the feel of the place, the black fire of the earth intertwining with whispering water and finally uniting within the salty ocean… As the impressions formed sounds in her head, her arms worked the violin and expressed what was inside her. The melody came out with a rigid structure resembling the Akalak combative spirit and exploded into some fast bits speaking of their land’s wild beauty.

Secret :
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Calters on August 3rd, 2014, 1:26 am

Summer 82, 514 AV
Late afternoon

Calters sighed.

Of course, this wasn't a rare occurrence. If sighing were a new language the Akvatari would be fluent and could even teach it. This particular sigh would mean "I'm tired of being around stupid people."

It was a fairly generic statement, as this was how he felt a vast majority of the time. People were naive. They always thought that the world was beautiful and innocent. While they were right in one aspect- bits and pieces were beautiful- they were horribly wrong on the other. The world was far from innocent. Calters knew this but he sometimes thought he was the only one who could see the truth.

The only way he knew to express this dismal outlook to others was through music. Today, he was too tired to even play. All he could bring himself to do was hold his clappers in one hand and beat them against his thigh. A steady rhythm perpetrated the quiet of the ocean-side. It echoed the beating of the waves on the rocks and solidified the solitary mindset of the musician.

Just as his rhythm had begun to comfort the lone soul, it was disturbed by another sound. This sound was different than the natural sounds of the waves and was certainly not coming from Calters. Faint notes reached his ears, lacking chronology or even a full sound. But when Cal followed the sound, they increased in volume and quality. The song was brave and strong, played with a dedication that he greatly admired.

Cal was further impressed when the source of the music came into view. It was a woman and a violin, playing with her eyes closed and her hands flying. She breathed slow but deep, clearly used to the sounds of her instrument and long ago past the throes of her skill. The resonance of her strings continued even as Calters took a seat beside the woman.

He barely looked at her for he knew she would never be as gorgeous as the music she produced. Instead, he listened for a heartbeat as his hands subconsciously wandered to the ocarina dangling around his neck. Cal lifted the clay piece to his mouth and ran his fingers gently along the carved bottom. It wasn't long before his eyes were closed and he was joining in the flowing ensemble with a gentle, underlying hum.
Last edited by Calters on August 3rd, 2014, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tukant-Kontinese-Common-Thoughts-Singing
Calters
When music hits you, you don't feel the pain

Words: 88993
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gwin on August 3rd, 2014, 2:07 pm

As always, Gwin completely lost herself in the music. The song had been bouncing back and forth in her head for some time, perhaps as long as she’d been in Riverfall, but only now it found its way to her instrument. She strove to release it into the air, as true to the vision as her mediocre skill allowed.

The melody was meandering, moving here and there in swirls and beautiful patterns. Sometimes she got lost in exploring a particular aspect, driving a piece of the melody to its glorious top. Then she paused for a moment before returning to the slower pace from the beginning only to work it up to the brilliant top again. Despite her sharp concentration and crystal-clear control of the instrument she missed a few notes and skipped a few of the planned trills. She’d have to practice more to truly master the fastest parts. Still, the musician in her was screaming for perfection and every mistake hurt like a knife between her ribs.

Suddenly the sound changed, enriched by a deeper and darker voice. Opening her eyes, Gwin noticed someone with rusty red wings had joined her. Could it be…? Blinking, she didn’t dare take it for the truth. Never had she met a fellow Akvatari on her journeys. Why here and now? Yet he was there and complimenting her music.

The slight drop in her flow was rectified soon as she picked up the melody. Her fingers were moving more carefully now, not tormenting the fingerboard, only caressing it. Their voices intertwined and rose to the sky. Gwin drank in the beauty of it with a hint of desperation. Like everything else, it wouldn’t last. Art was fleeting. That truth provided the key to perfection. As the melody settled down and slowly faded away, however, it left a bitter aftertaste.

Gwin opened her eyes once again to the sight of a fellow nomad. So familiar, yet foreign. The words stuck in her throat until her fingers left the wood. “Thank you for joining me. You sounded good. It is… quite unusual to find another of our kind here. An incredible coincidence…” Was it? Her cheeks grew warm and she lowered her head, using damp blonde locks as a curtain. Despite rapid blinking, something hot collected in the corners of her eyes.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Calters on August 4th, 2014, 3:12 am

The music bucked momentarily when the woman noticed Calters' joining causing him to hit a handful of notes that he hadn't intended. He waited patiently and was rewarded when the music resumed its earlier pace. It flowed and whispered to the waves, touching a place deep in the musician's stomach. They carried a strong melody, despite (or maybe because of) the combined mistakes and it left Cal with a powerful feeling growing inside him.

But no amount of empowering music could have prepared the Akvatari for what he saw when he opened his eyes.

Next to him, the beautiful musician lay strewn out on the sand. Light blonde hair bounced off her shoulders, framing a curving body and gentle face with eyes that spoke of past torment and trouble. It was not her melancholy eyes or impressive form that struck him silent though. It was what was attached to that slim frame- a soft green tail and a gleaming set of emerald wings encased by Syna's gradually waning light.

Calters dismissed the sight as a hallucination at first. It was plausible that he had been drinking without realizing it and, sometimes, he tended to see things that weren't really there. One of these things was his mother, whom he had never actually seen. But when the apparition addressed him, he knew that she was stunningly real.

Her burst of emotion caught Calters off-guard. She spoke of unusual coincidences and thanked him for the opportunity, yet she bowed her head in silent dismay. He was only able to see the color flush her face before she turned her mane into a curtain, albeit a translucent one. He could still see the light illuminating her sleek profile as she stayed hidden.

The fact that she was an Akvatari- a living, breathing member of his own species- stunned him. Calters opened and closed his mouth in alarm, making quiet smacking sounds as he did so. Finally, he found his voice.

"Calters. Son of Jouyos. Child of the Sea and Sky. Bard, ocarina player, and singer of Riverfall.
That's me."

It felt like a dream or a child's legend, not something that could really happen. When she did not answer immediately, he filled the silence with the sound of his own words.

"Calters is an anagram for Scarlet. That was the color of my wings, but now they've faded a bit. Due to stress, no doubt. I was born here in Riverfall and have barely left, but you..."

He had to ask lest the question eat him up inside. "Have you ever visited the Akvatari's home? My father told me about it. Akvatar, a beautiful island where our people are abundant."

His eyes glistened with mixed emotions. Depression because he would never be brave enough to find it alone and elation because her presence meant he wasn't a freak of nature. Wonder washed over him when he realized that right here in Riverfall he had found one of his kind. There was relief too, knowing that he wasn't a monster. He was just an Akvatari, and somewhere out there, there were more suffering just like him.
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gwin on August 4th, 2014, 9:20 am

Her tail curled around her in an attempt of… what? Protection, not from one of her kin, but from her own feelings. They’d leak out and scatter all over the place if Gwin didn’t contain them. She slowly lifted her free hand to rub her eyes and erase all signs of the strong emotions that had washed over her in a mere moment. Still gasping for breath and control, she didn’t answer to his introduction at first.

When she straightened, a ripple went through her turquoise wings and they caught a ray of sunlight. Her eyes were still red-rimmed, but she brushed strands out of her face and gave him a sad smile. Calters. Even though his wings had rusted, it felt like a fitting name. His tone, the way he addressed her, caused a faint sting to bloom in her breast. It wasn’t right, that way. They were the same with their wings and tails, so it wasn’t right for him to talk like that. She had to tell him…

“I’m Gwin which is short for Gwinquietruos. You can guess what inspired the name, no?” She fluttered with her wings, just a little, and gave a sad smile. Her eyes had the color of the sea when one was swimming just under the surface with sunlight filtering through the water: a clear greenish turquoise.

His next words passed through her ears like a dream or muffled shouts. “Stress?” Something about that saddened her and she sighed. He seemed as much a nomad as her, a wanderer driven from one place to the next by some desire they couldn’t define and hadn’t ever met. Gwin didn’t know what she was looking for, but in the company of another Akvatari she felt a little more whole. It couldn’t be compared to Abura, it was… like finding delicious water in the middle of a desert of desperation.

Her hands moved nervously, the left feeling the fingerboard and the right adjusting the bow and neck in its grip. Sweat mixed with the remaining salt on her skin. “Please don’t be so formal,” she whispered finally. “Yes, I’ve grown up in Abura, our city. It belongs to us entirely. Those without wings can’t navigate its tall slender towers. They’re painted in pastel colors and have doors at high places in their walls. Everyone gets to choose where they’d like to live as there are more towers than residents…”

Falling silent, Gwin sank into melancholy at the eternal dilemma of her kin. They were few and most liked to travel far from the island. Meeting Calters was a miracle. No God was watching over them, aiding their survival and giving advice in times of need. Gwin knew how the Konti adored their divine mother. The Akvatari were lost though.

She was observing Calters from the corners of her eyes. How much did he know? “If you grew up here, how many of us have you met apart from your parents?”
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Calters on August 10th, 2014, 8:36 pm

OOCSorry about the wait. Marching Band season started so I'm a bit busy lately. I'll try to be better about it.

His eyes were closed, listening to the blissful description of Gwin's home...his home. In his mind, he painted the picture at her directions. Pastel colors, towers raising high into the sky, some empty and mysterious- others teeming with life. A sad smile crossed Calters' face. It felt good to think of having a home, but it was a bittersweet thought, being unable to visit it.

All good things must come to an end, even if they are only daydreams. The bard was reminded of this rule when Gwin asked him how many of their kind he had met.

Calters felt suddenly naked and broken. Growing up in Abura, she must have had such a vibrant childhood. So much beautiful art and like company surrounding her. What had he had? Blue skinned warriors smirking at his weakness and a father who only raised him because he had to. People who only loved him because of his "unique" features and natural talent for music.

Cal shook his head, not daring to meet his fellow Akvatari's eyes for fear that she would see the red marking his cheeks and burning his eyes. The last thing he wanted was for this new-found relative to see his weakness and leave him too.

"Apart from my father? None. I never even knew my mother, so I haven't gotten to see a female Akvatari in my life." Easily drawn off track, Calters' mind wandered back to their home.

"It must be wonderful living in Abura...So why would you ever leave?"

The question was unscripted in his mind. He had not expected to ask and once he had, realized his impolite phrasing. It sounded like an accusation, but in reality it was far from it. Cal was curious. As far as he knew, there was no "normal" for Akvatari and he was eager to find out what he should be- who he should be.
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gwin on August 11th, 2014, 5:21 pm

The way he looked at her… His gaze prickled on her skin and made Gwin slightly uncomfortable. As a rule hopes and dreams didn’t translate into reality, so she couldn’t be what he saw in her. If she could, she’d do it. Calters deserved as much. To ease her heart, her fingers stroked the strings of the instrument in her lap, evoking single notes without much rhythm or melody to them.

When he confessed his isolation from other Akvatari, her fingers halted though. Now he was the one avoiding her gaze. Narrowing turquoise eyes, Gwin stared at his lowered head and posture with shock. What an honor, to be the first female Akvatari… The weight of responsibility seemed to crush her. It was too much.

Her hand performed a hard stroke at the strings as if she was playing the guitar. A rough sound broke the tension between them. It didn’t matter if he was embarrassed, full of regret, sad or anything else. He was approaching it from the wrong side, seeing things the wrong way. His speech sounded strange and almost violent in her ears that were so attuned to music and lyrical recitations. All wrong. But could she really teach him the right way? “You must’ve felt very lonely.”

His question stung. Why would she leave? Again his tone lacked the familiar lilt. He didn’t speak like the Akvatari she knew, that was it. Why not? “And why haven’t you left Riverfall to seek others of our kin?”

The next moment she shook her head. Forming words and sentences had never been so difficult. “Forgive me, this is not what I wanted to say… “I yielded to this desire to experience other forms or music and art. For over ten years I studied the Akvatari way of doing things, but I also wanted to know what songs were played in other cultures. Sometimes I return, but the road calls to me. I still haven’t found what I’m looking for…” Biting her lip, she hesitated. Even after so many years, she couldn’t name it.

Then she looked up with a shy glance. “I could take you to Abura one day, if you like.”
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Calters on September 7th, 2014, 2:46 am

Why haven't I left?

It was a question he asked himself every morning when he woke up to the dull, colorless ceiling of his apartment. He pondered it as he dressed himself, alone in his room without pets or companions or family to comfort him. The question plagued his mind when he tried to enjoy music and when he tried to sleep it peeled his eyes open and left him staring at the same dull ceiling he would wake up to.

Why can't I just leave?

Before he could think of a reason, even an excuse, she was talking again. It seemed to Calters that she was trying to coax him out of a shell, or some kind of rock he had been living under for years. She poked and prodded at just the right spots to make him squirm closer and open up his mouth.

Of course the road called to him. He knew exactly what she meant when she told him about searching for nothing and finding just that. She was skilled at conversation; at least, she was more skilled than he. She knew just what to say to make him think long and hard...and he was falling for it.

He was contemplating the meaningless call of the road when she made the offer. He hardly heard her over the sound of self-hatred circling in his head, but he did hear her. It was faint, but the meaning of her offer was obvious to him.

"T-take me to Abura?" His mind whirred over the possibilities. "I..."

A sigh broke his sentence in two, leaving him with a loud silence and a sad happiness.

"I'm so glad you offered- so pleased- but how could I? I can't even leave Riverfall, for Rhaus' sake!"

As if he were struck by lightning, the eureka feeling hit Calters with the force of a violent wave washing away the shore.

"I can't leave. I can't, because I want to. No, that doesn't make any sense. Think about it like this.

"If I stay here, that call gives me hope that something out there is waiting for me. I have something left to find in this world and maybe, just maybe, one day I can be happy. Someday I will feel fulfilled and I can finally die in peace.

"If I follow it- it being my heart or the siren call of the unknown, whatever you want to call it- if I follow it and there is nothing, then what will I have left? I'll have a broken heart and a sheet of music to express it with. That's not what I want my life to be, Gwin. That's not who I want to be."

The boy shut himself up just in time. A tick longer and she would have heard the crack in his voice as he gave in to tears. Another chime, and she would have heard the sob steal his breath and tear him to pieces.
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gwin on September 7th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Gwin could almost see the whirlwind of thoughts and ideas as if his face was of glass and allowed a glimpse of cogs and wheels churning behind. It manifested in the lines of his features and, more prominently to her finely tuned ears, in his stuttering. Then his voice broke away, followed by a rush of words.

"Why can't you?" she breathed into the pause. A bittersweet hint of desperation stuck to the back of her tongue, courtesy of his words. Gwin knew that feeling all too well, but she would never express it in a sudden outbreak. Everything she felt and thought happened quietly in that little shell, her mind.

Then came the revelation and a flood of beautiful words. Gwin's fingers halted, not daring to break the rhythm and his concentration with a single pluck. A simple dream, too simple perhaps, but there lay its beauty. The simplest things often turned out the most precious and the most missed after fading. One tended to forget that everything was fleeting as a single note riding upon a summer breeze, that nothing could last forever. Even the Gods, the ones bipedals seemed to look up to so much, were prone to mistakes and disappointing all that put faith in them.

His words briefly reminded her of another city dweller, the girl Aquila, but Calters and his problems hit closer to home. Gwin understood his dilemma, although she believed herself to be beyond it.

Yet she couldn't bear the emotion simmering under the surface. Biting her lip, she hesitated only for a moment. Then she separated her right hand from the violin and reached out to close the open space. Her entire body ached to console him. Upon touching him, her fingers lightly brushed his shoulder. Once, twice. It felt strange, her movement stiff and timid, nevertheless she could've never taken that step with a bipedal. They simply didn't understand what their existence meant. Made for this, yet not enough.

The words were knocking at the roof of her mouth impatiently. Finally she set them free, speaking softly before gaining momentum. "You don't know that though. If you convince yourself it will be so before you've even tried, you've chosen the wrong road." She sighed. "You can never travel the entire length and breadth of Mizahar. Shouldn't that be enough to know? There's so much to see, so much to experience... The fountain will never dry up. In fact this yearning feels a lot like the thirst of a starving nomad to me. You can quench it for some time if you give in, if you travel and strive to understand more, but it'll return eventually." She hesitated and counted. Three times three years hadn't killed that thirst yet.

"Don't be afraid," she whispered, leaning in. "If you try, you'll learn more. If you're too afraid to even try though, you're doomed from the first moment on." With that, the deep seed of melancholy was budding again. If Calters understood her words... but no, it wouldn't do to have expectations.

Gwin simply watched him with a tiny glimmer in her turquoise eyes that reflected the sea... and his sad face.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Mayhem1 on November 28th, 2014, 6:46 pm

You're an excited PC roaming around a thread.

You're not paying attention that the story's over.

Then...BAM! You're hit with a Grade.

I'm Mayhem, the ever-present Junior ST of Cyphrus. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM! And please, please remove or edit your grading request once you see this. Thank you!

Gwin
XP
  • Observation - 2
  • Violin - 2
  • Socialization - 3
LORES
  • Riverfall: Shaped Above and Below the Water
  • Calters: Another Akvatari
  • Calters: Born in Riverfall
  • Calters: Plays the Ocarina
  • Calters: Anagram for Scarlet
  • Calters: Has Never Left Riverfall
  • Meeting Another of Your Kind
  • The Prospect of Taking Calters to Abura

Calters
XP
  • Observation - 3
  • Ocarina - 1
  • Socialization - 3
LORES
  • Gwin: Another Akvatari
  • Meeting Another of Your Kind
  • Gwin: Gwinquietruos, Anagram for Turquoise Wing
  • Abura: Made of Pastel Towers
  • Abura: More Towers than Residents
  • Gwin: A Wanderer
  • Revealing Inner Turmoil

Notes: The Akvatari demeanor was so thick I could cut it with a knife. Good job, both of you! A pity it was cut short.

With Regards,
- Mayhem
Syliras ★ threads: 0/4
Mayhem1
what the knights are protecting you from

Words: 12697
Joined roleplay: November 2nd, 2014, 4:35 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook