Open Familiar Places

Emotions can be attached to certain places

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Familiar Places

Postby Aquila Donovan on August 3rd, 2014, 5:19 am

70th of summer, 514 AV

Dodging swarms of Akalaks in the street, Aquila found herself relieved she had lived in Riverfall for as long as she could remember. She was used to dodging people. She clutched her satchel as tightly as she could. Aquila brought it everywhere she went. Never knew when you might find a useful plant! It had been a gift from her mother when she was fifteen.

Aquila wanted more than anything to be able to heal people like her parents. Ever since she was a little girl, she remembered her mother teaching her the ways of the plants and their uses. The Rat Hole loomed in front of Aquila. Its familiar shape made a shudder run throughout her body. The dread squeezing her stomach was as unwelcome as she was accustomed to it. It almost seemed as if it was leering at her.

Squaring her shoulders, Aquila couldn’t help but look inside the building that her brother, Axio spent all his time – and her family’s money – on. Hmm he isn’t in there. Well what did you expect? That he would stay in Riverfall after he robbed you? Aquila argued with herself. Grabbing her satchel more tightly with her fingers, she concentrated on watching where she stepped.

The lull of the water in her ears made her relax. The water had always been, and will always be her home. Aquila walked faster, eager to arrive to her thinking spot. The spot where she knew she could sit listening to the water, with no one around. The spot that was hers and hers alone. As she exited out of the trading zone, it instantly got quieter, calmer.

So close. I’m almost there. Aquila burst out laughing and found herself running. The sun warmed every fiber of her being. Breathless, she plopped herself down on a grassy section, listening to the tinkle of the water. She plucked some flowers, weaving them into a flower chain.

If only life could be like this, all the time.

Aquila Donovan
Player

Words: 9279
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2014, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet

Familiar Places

Postby Gwin on August 10th, 2014, 5:41 pm

OOCBetter late than never, no? ;)

Out of sheer curiosity and some nameless desire, Gwin had tried to find the garden she’d visited during her last visit. As patterned turquoise butterfly wings carried her through the city and up another tier, she came to realize Riverfall had changed. The place she was looking for had probably fallen prey to the flow of time, obliterated by the season and the eternal cycle of life and death.

So the Akvatari had chosen another spot where greenery and water met, a garden that reminded her of the place she’d met Caladien in. Memory of their brief acquaintance still filled her with wonder… He’d been like the trees, solid and rooted in the present. Compared to that, the Akvatari was fleeting like the wind that rustled a tree’s leaves and moved its branches. She was nowhere and everywhere, driven by a desire to travel. Staying in one place tended to irritate her.

A big city like Riverfall kept that desire at bay for a certain amount of time though. Zeltiva had been similar, although it was vastly different. The sea connected them in her thoughts. As the sun warmed her skin, droplets of water sprinkled her hair and the tips of her wings as she was lying close to the little stream that crossed the green. One hand was hanging into the water, feeling its flow, the origin of its sound. While listening to the steady trickle and her thoughts about places, Gwin was humming a song under her breath.

The melody was born from her desire to move and stay on the road. Ironically, it rooted her into place at that particular moment. She only lifted her gaze when footsteps and a rustle in the high grass added to the background noise. The girl had light hair like herself, a fitting color for a flower crown… As long as she wasn’t addressed, Gwin would continue to hum her little song though.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Familiar Places

Postby Aquila Donovan on August 10th, 2014, 11:33 pm

The sun’s intensity started to burn. It was leaving its inscription on her skin – a rosy glow soon to become a painful red if she stayed out longer. Aquila slowly opened her eyes. She wanted that moment to last forever. The worry-free moment that made her feel as light as the summer breeze. If it was possible for humans to soar through the air, riding on happy thoughts, she would be able to do it. Sitting up, Aquila attempted to untangle the knots of hair that formed around her daisy crown.

A hum drifted lazily to her. Her ears perked up. What was that noise? She craned her head around her to see what the humming was. A figure blended in with the tall grass. Aquila stiffed. These days it was hard to know who was friend or foe. And even people you know turn on you, she bitterly thought. A pale arm showed itself; the person was dipping their fingers in the stream that ran itself through the meadow.

Since the person hadn’t made any move to attack her during the time she had been asleep, Aquila decided to trust the mysterious being. She sat up straighter. “Hello?” That was too quiet. Be a little louder! Aquila cleared her throat and tried again. “Hello? Are you okay?” She nervously straightened her flower wreath. Fingers tapping on her knees, she waited for the response.

Aquila Donovan
Player

Character sheet

Familiar Places

Postby Gwin on August 11th, 2014, 5:38 pm

After some time, the girl lifted her head and looked around. Gwin noticed her moving out of the corners of her eyes, but it wasn’t quite enough to drag her away from the cool caress of the water. The music intertwined with its steady trickling noise in a beautiful way. Sometimes she wondered if it was ever possible to bind all noises and sounds into music. Previous attempts hadn’t been too successful, but she was still learning, after all. She wondered idly what Rhaus would say to such a question.

A sweet voice carried over the grass and cut short her musings. Furrowing her brow, Gwin looked up and lifted her torso a bit from the soft ground. The girl was doubtlessly looking into her direction now. What an odd question. Did she seem hurt or in any way not alright? Then again, bipedals didn’t tend to hum in public. Perhaps that had confused her?

She ran a wet hand through her pale locks before dipping it into the water again. It just felt good and refreshing to be connected to her favorite element… although she probably didn’t have the right to think of it that way. Akvatari didn’t belong to water entirely, after all.

With her brow still furrowed and a sigh of regret, Gwin abandoned the melody she’d been crafting. “Yes, I am. Thank you for asking. That wreath is a thing of beauty. It fits you well.” Sitting up, she curled the furry greenish tail around her form so that the fin was hanging into the water. Then she tilted her head as a curious ripple went through brilliant butterfly wings. “I’m sorry if I’ve disturbed you. This place reminded me of something.” It’d be a sad thing if music really disturbed the girl. It shouldn’t hinder surroundings, but add to and express beauty already existing.

Her next words came almost as an afterthought. Names were strange things. What did they tell really? At the same time, they held a certain power over their owner. Still, she felt it appropriate to offer hers. “I’m Gwin. If you like, I could play a song for you… as compensation.” A hand moved to lie on the instrument case resting behind her.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Familiar Places

Postby Aquila Donovan on August 12th, 2014, 4:41 am

After a brief pause in the humming, Aquila got her answer. Relaxing a bit, she scolded herself. Not everyone you meet is injured. They don’t need you to try and fix everything! A blush rose to her cheeks as she heard the rest of the girl’s message. Self-conscience, she touched her flower crown again with the tips of her fingers. Smooth petals were a familiar touch. It was very calming to have plants so close to her. Plants had the same soothing effect from the time she was a small child, picking flowers to get her mother’s approval.

A flash of movement made her look more closely at her meadow companion. The girl slid her tail (woah, she has a tail?) into the undulating water. Clear green wings appeared as well. Hmm… She is already interesting.

“This place reminds me of something.”

Aquila felt her curiosity perk up. The question was right on her tongue to ask what it reminded her of.

Was she like herself? Did it remind her of a time where she had no stress? No uncertainty about what the next day might bring? Those days were long gone, but Aquila found herself wishing she could relive them. Since Axio left, her family plunged into a dark hole. Her mother rarely smiled anymore, and her dad simply didn’t talk. The whole family was hit hard by the betrayal.

Flipping her hair over her shoulder, Aquila found herself surprised at the next words by the beautiful stranger. As compensation? What did she do? Realizing she had been staring without answering, she spouted out what was on her mind.

“I’m Aquila… what does this place remind you of? I would enjoy a song very much,” she hesitated. “Sometimes I feel like music is a window into the soul. When a person plays, the music shows their emotion. And even nature pauses to listen.” She fingered a grass strand, wondering if the girl would scoff at her thoughts.

Aquila Donovan
Player

Character sheet

Familiar Places

Postby Gwin on August 14th, 2014, 1:41 pm

The girl's gaze and what it implicated was by no means an unfamiliar sensation to the Akvatari. Many who saw one of her race for the first time stared like her. At the same time, that impression seemed dimmed by some amount of sadness. An air of tragedy wafted about the girl and carried in her voice as she spoke. As a musician, Gwin detected the melody in her words and knew what it meant. A tragic heroine, perhaps.

At her question, the soft melody about her mingled with memories of Caladien from two years ago. “A similar garden in this very city. I visited it many seasons ago and met a boy with a tree for a father. He was gathering flowers much like you do now.” A sad smile lingered in the corners of her mouth. Despite her words, she knew there could be no connection between the boy and Aquila. Questions required answers though.

At the confirmation, Gwin moved the case so that it rested right next to her before opening the lid. Taking out a violin of shimmering light wood and a bow of similar design, she began tuning it. After a few disconnected notes, the instrument fell silent again. The Akvatari sighed. “What you say is very true. I like it better if nature participates in the song rather than falling silent though.” The sad smile flared up for a moment before retreating.

Instead she lifted the violin to her shoulder. As the bow connected with the strings, the first clear notes sounded over the grass and mingled with the steady trickle of water. Her song appeared to lean on that sound and use it as rhythm while painting a sad sweet melody into the air. Concerning techniques, it was quite simple to play, yet each note resonated with a modest beauty. It had been one of the first songs Gwin had learned and for some reason had sprung to mind as she observed Aquila. Like the flowers she was gathering, the girl had a natural and untainted grace to her.

Closing her eyes, Gwin allowed herself to fall into the music and instinctively weave all those vibes into the song. It didn't need any flourishes or elaborate decorations which was part of its charm.

Secret :
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Familiar Places

Postby Aquila Donovan on August 16th, 2014, 3:10 am

Aquila found herself listening intently to Gwin’s answer. The girl intrigued her. She started creating scenarios of her past. Maybe she was an outcast. Or perhaps Gwin left home to go find fame and fortune. Hmmm she does not seem like the famous type. More like the quiet and reserved type.

Aquila suppressed a smile at the sight of Gwin’s knotted hair. Looks like she does a fair amount of swimming. The sight of tangled hair was not unknown, as she herself was prone to get matted hair after a quick dip in the water.

Seeing that they had some things in common, Aquila discovered she was more at ease with the beautiful stranger. The girl’s smile whispered of something wretched in her past. A soft melody wove through her ears. Gwin had taken out her instrument and was playing as she had suggested. The music floated in the air, creating a wonderful haven for the two inhabitants.

It was easy to tell that music was her life. The way she moved the bow with a flick of her wrist, and the way her eyes stayed close – as if to enjoy the sensation of being carried away from life for a time. Aquila marveled at the sound that was pouring from her companion. Suddenly, inspiration struck her. Swiftly plucking flowers that sat around her, Aquila began to weave a flower crown for Gwin. She chose blue flowers to emphasize the delicate green wings, tail, and the mysteriousness that hid in her pool droplet eyes.

Since she is sharing her music with me, I should share my flowers with her. A moment of perfect bliss warmed the bitterness Aquila had been feeling lately. Thoughts that had been previously weighing her down, lifted with the relaxing music and disappeared.

As eager as she was to show her new friend the flower wreath she had made for her, she didn’t want to break the spell of the melody pouring from Gwin’s violin. It felt almost rude to think of so abruptly stopping Gwin from her trance. I wonder where she learned how to play like that. Has she been traveling, or is her home here in Riverfall? An idea began to form in her mind. Taking a deep breath, Aquila decided to speak.

“I… I was wondering where you were from. Have you traveled to many different places?” Hastily Aquila grabbed the flower crown from the ground. “I made this for you. As a thank you for that beautiful song.”

Aquila Donovan
Player

Character sheet

Familiar Places

Postby Gwin on August 16th, 2014, 10:19 am

As the melody rose, Gwin didn't even attempt vibratos. They'd go well with a slow and sad piece like that, but she wanted each note to give a crystal-clear echo and fill the garden with its simple sound. Despite her obvious routine in handling the instrument, Gwin knew her vibratos still came out shaky at times, but she wished to gift the girl with the most beautiful performance.

So she focused on drawing out the notes. As the sadness seeped into her limbs, she came to delay some of them which gave a more intense idea of emotion. Even her head felt heavy and she would've hung it if she hadn't been holding the violin with her chin. As a few tangled blond strands fell into her face, she simply ignored them. Gently rocking back and forth, she enjoyed the delicious heaviness in her arms and the effect it had on her music. The song itself felt heavy and slow... and slowing down even more with the last notes. Towards the end her fingers went up and her bow ended on the leftmost string. The lowest note closed the piece like the lid shutting a box.

When she opened her eyes, her turquoise gaze fell on a new flower wreath in the girl's hands. The music had burned all other noise from her ears, let alone the rustle of grass and fabric. A sad smile lit her features as she accepted the wreath. Blue, the color of the sky and still water when the former was reflected in it. Green would've been standard... but blue provided a fitting change. "Thank you." Resting the violin in her lap, she picked up the wreath with stiff fingers and crowned herself. Did it sit right? A questioning glance hit Aquila.

Remembering the places she'd been, Gwin absentmindedly plucked a string every now and then. Her fingers did it of their own accord as the occasional melodic sound helped her think. "I guess you could say that... I was born in Abura, on Akvatar Isle, but I've been here and there. When the music in a place grows stale, I move on. So far I've been to Eyktol, Cyphrus and Zeltiva in Sylira."

Then she tilted her head, causing the wreath to shift dangerously to one side. "Does your question mean you've lived in Riverfall your entire life? How do you... stay in one place? Isn't it boring after some time?" The airy tone remained in her voice, but the questions added a bit of a confused undertone. Gwin simply couldn't imagine the reasons of city dwellers.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Familiar Places

Postby Aquila Donovan on August 16th, 2014, 5:57 pm

As Gwin accepted the flower crown, Aquila noticed she paused for a brief moment to study the flower choice. Slowly, and as regally as a queen, she placed it firmly on her head. Gwin gave Aquila a look of uncertainty. Is there something wrong with the flowers?

But then she began to finger the strings of the violin that rested in her lap. A single sound at a time vibrated from the instrument. Just as Aquila was wondering if the musician had even heard her question, the soft, thoughtful voice rang out into the stillness. So you are a wanderer. Just flittering from place to place, wherever your music takes you. A pang of curiosity hit when Gwin was rattling off all the places she had visited.

Because she leaned her head, the Akvatari’s flowers nearly tumbled off. Her questions were nothing new to Aquila. People asked her often the same things. Not being a traveler was hardly heard of nowadays. The freedom that came when you went wherever your heart desired was something that she would imagine lying awake at night. As enticing as getting to experience new cultures was, leaving behind her family and the quiet spots in Riverfall was more than she could bear.

“I have lived in Riverfall my entire life. My parents run an apothecary, and I have been helping them with that business for as long as I can remember. I guess I don’t get bored of my life here, because every day is entirely different. I discover new plants to be made into medicine; new patients come in to be treated. Being able to help people with my knowledge of plants and herbs has made me feel…” Aquila stopped, unsure of her word choice. “Well, like I’m making a difference I suppose.” She gave a rueful smile. “Some days I feel like I will go crazy staying here another day.” As Axio crossed her mind, a shadow darkened her face. “But then I remember why I must stay, at least for a little longer.”

Aquila gulped in air, not having talked to someone that much in years. The question she had been dying to ask kept repeating itself in her mind.

“Have you met anyone by the name of… of Axio in your travels?” Biting her lip, she was unsure if she would prefer the answer to be positive or negative.

Aquila Donovan
Player

Character sheet

Familiar Places

Postby Gwin on August 19th, 2014, 3:11 pm

As Aquila answered, her words sounded worn out. Doubtlessly she'd given the same answer to many who'd been just as curious as Gwin. Was hers such a frequent question to ask a resident? If all people traveled, wouldn't all settlements be as empty as Abura?

Soon her focus shifted towards the words though. So the girl was a medic, gathering her flowers and herbs to ease the pain of others and help them survive another day in this cruel world. Life... Gwin wasn't sure whether it was a blessing or a curse sometimes. She could respect the tireless work of medics and doctors, although she knew next to nothing about it. Its appeal would forever be lost on her, an artist and musician, but she understood its necessity for others. So she nodded and strummed the violin in her furry lap. "I'm sure you are. What you do sounds... useful," she said softly.

Again the words puzzled the Akvatari and her own reply came more slowly. "I have not... If you tell me what he looks like I could keep an eye out on him in other places though. Is he your friend?" Gwin bit her lip for a moment, but then the Akvatari wasn't one to hold back words even if they seemed rude. "Is he the reason why you must stay?"

Lowering her gaze was the only apology Aquila would get. As her right thumb plucked the strings, the fingers of her left hand were dancing over the fingerboard like cheerful butterflies, although they were only playing the beginning of the earlier sad song. Gwin didn't quite know how to process what Aquila was telling her and what she was trying to communicate, but her words and the subtle ache in them reminded her of something.

As the plucking went on, she spoke into the music like a bard. "You know, there are very few Akvatari compared to humans. Many of us choose to travel, but it's a small miracle to ever meet another of us on the road. It can be lonely at times." With a small sigh, she looked up. The girl only longed for excitement, a way out of her daily routine. She hadn't exactly asked, but Gwin felt she should know the truth nevertheless. What she did with it... well, that didn't concern the Akvatari. Wishing for anything would be foolish as life had a way of eluding any and all plans.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Next