[Skyglow Hold] Returning to your Profession

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Skyglow Hold] Returning to your Profession

Postby Fenilen on October 8th, 2010, 10:17 pm

20th of Fall, 510 AV

Fenilen's eyes shifted cautiously, even as he was supposedly safe within the walls of Avanthal. The enemy was everywhere, and the enemy looked like every other person. He could trust no one. Absolutely no one. They could all be with Them! They were all the enemy.

He entered the door to the Skyglow Hold. His green eyes danced across the many items and people decorating the hold. All of them, possible members of Them. If anything, though, he had to be amazed by the eyes of the people of Avanthal. They changed constantly, perhaps as much as their thoughts changed from subject to subject. and their hair, it had highlights in colors he had never seen before. Such an interesting people. He pulled the hood down on his Kavintu, loosening his scarf. He did not need to be so heavily garbed inside. Fenilen's right hand drifted down to the Talon sword at his hip, nodding in comfort as he found it there. He was safe while it was by his side, or at least he thought so.

One of the Vanthas passed him, and he spoke to them slowly, in broken Vani. He felt he at least owed them that courtesy. "Hello. Where can I job find?" his Vani was poor, though he hoped to practice it in Avanthal. The Vantha looked him over, noting the red hair and dress. He responded in Vani, speaking slowly and in small sentences, using hand gestures as well. "Talk to Vannis. Interested, he might be," the Vantha smiled, pointed at a door, and then went on his way.

So, this Vannis must be behind this mystical door. He had to be wary, though. He may be with Them. Trust was a luxury he could no longer afford. The Inarta's boots tapped on the wooden floor as he walked, making his way up to the door and bowing to the man outside. He couldn't have this conversation in his broken Vani. So, in Common, he spoke: "Greetings. I come seeking employment for my stay in Avanthal. I am a Glassblower. I was directed here by one of your people." he was very curt, not knowing enough Common to make his sentences sound anymore fluid.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Words: 144782
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2010, 3:04 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Skyglow Hold] Returning to your Profession (Closed)

Postby Cheshire on October 9th, 2010, 5:17 pm

For the past two days Vannis Skyglow had been locked in his studio. As the leader of Skyglow he did not need to share this space with anyone and that made him more than happy. He was a bit of a perfectionist when it came to his art and for that reason he often dissapeared into his studio for days on end making sure every particle of his work was exactly how it looked in his mind. At the moment he was deep in focus on a sculpture of a bear. He was bound and determined to be better than his great grandfather Pavic. He wanted to be the best artist that Avanthal had ever known.

At the times when Vannis locked himself in his studio everyone knew not to knock on his door. He was a grumpy man by nature but when he was in focus and something broke it one was better off desturbing a sleeping bear. Even his own sons were not allowed to knock on his door although he knew they never would anyway. He still had somewhat contact with Ray'ken even though their entire relationship was held togather by their quarrels. Rakku on the other hand never even talked to his father. Vannis never knew where the boy was unless he was with his mother. Although he did not want to admit it, Vannis was jealous of his wife's close bond with their kids. He was a proud man though and he would never let on that he loved his sons more than anything in the world.

A knock pounded at Vannis' door and in an instant the mint green color on concentration that lit up his eyes in that dark studio bursted into a bold scarlet color. "If this is Ray'ken I will gut him." He walked to the door to hear a person speaking in common. They had to have been an oursider, not many people spoke common if they were from the city. Luckly, Vannis could understand it. He had dealt with outsiders long enough to know the workings of common. Vannis debated even opening the door. He did not have to talk to the person waiting on the other side. Against his better judgement he opened the door. He saw a man, Inarta from the looks of it standing in his doorway. He was a but interested even though he was a bit upset about the intrusion. Inarta were some of the best glassblowers around and it would be in the best interest of the hold to have good realtions with the man. "Who told you to come to me?" Vannis looked tired, although he usually did when he worked two days straight. He rubbed his eyes and focused on the Inarta. "I see you are Inarta, you must be one good glassblower. His words were coming out a tad bit more friendly than he had expected them too. "I'm Vannis, leader of Skyglow hold. What makes you skilled enough for me to give you work?" The edge was coming back into his words again which made him feel a little better. "I'll take you to Faycia's shop, she has a oven in which you can show me your Glassblowing skills. Then we will see whether you get a job." Vannis wanted to just let the man into his hold. Having an Inarta glassblower in his hold would be very prestegious. The man needed to prove his worth though. Skyglow only housed the best artists.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Fenilen on October 10th, 2010, 5:45 am

The man was irritated. He could tell by the way he opened the door. Fenilen took a few stumbling steps back as the man exited. As the first of the questions were launched, he threw a point over at the exit of the Hold. "Some person that left," he said calmly. He fell silent as the man sized him up, eventually asking him why he should provide the Inarta with a job. Fenilen's eyes danced all around the area as Vannis spoke, only focusing at the end of his sentences.

"Was professional in Wind Reach. Made this, with my uncle," Fenilen said, pulling his necklace out from under his layers of clothing. He also motioned to his left earring. "It was mostly him working and me helping. Was too much of a novice at that point to make something like this. Still am, would probably break multiple times," Fenilen's sentences were quick and poorly structured, due to both his unfamiliarity with Common and his constant paranoia.

He shook his head violently as he spoke about using a Vanthan furnace. "Never used Vanthan Furnace. Don't know specifics. Inartan furnace uses lava from volcano to heat glass. Crucibles in one giant studio. No no no, Vanthan Furnace will be entirely different. Won't know how to use. Will need to be taught," he stuffed his necklace back down into his Kavintu, rolling his shoulders once or twice.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cheshire on October 10th, 2010, 4:19 pm

The Inarta would have to be taught how to use a Vantha furnace. It would not be too difficult although Vannis would need to get the assistance of Faycia who he did not enjoy talking to. The woman was far too much of a harlot for Vannis' taste but he could not deny the woman's talent. "I will take you to Faycia's shop. She will teach you how to use our furanaces. When you create something of value and talent we will see about getting you a job, maybe even a room in the hold if you prove to be of value." Vannis reached behind him and locked the door to his studio. Morwen forbid anyone see his art before it was perfected.

Vannis led the inarta through the hold, flame red hair following deep black. Vannis turned to the red haired man. "So what is your name Inarta? I'm guessing you are Inarta due to your red hair." Vannis did not bother mentioning his name. If the man stuck around he would learn it eventually. Heads turned as the two of them walked down the halls of the hold. It was not everyday the people of Avanthal got to see the famed eagle riders, although the man was not an Endal.

As the pair made it outside Vannis slipped his hands into his pockets to sheild them from the cold. His mind was not on the newcomer or the cold weather. All he could think about was his sculpture and how he needed to finish it. "Much colder than your volcanic home, eh Inarta? Vannis was not going to call the man by his name even if he knew it. First names were earned. Not even his own son got called by his name very often. It was usually "Son, do this" or "Son you are doing that wrong". Deep down both Ray'ken and Vannis wanted to seem good enough for one another, they just did not know how.

Soon Faycia's shop was in sight and Vannis reluctanly walked to the door. "This is Faycia's shop. She is the most talented glassblower in the city. Tell her I sent you and that I told her to give you a free lesson and she should tell you all you need to know." Vannis wondered if he should he tell the Inarta about Faycia's personality. He decided that he did not owe the red haired man any favors and waved a silent goodbye. Vannis may have known what he sent the inarta into but Fenilen had no idea what Faycia Skyglow was capable of.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Fenilen on October 10th, 2010, 5:31 pm

"Yes yes, Inarta I am," Fenilen said, clearing his throat. He fell silent as he walked with Vannis, his eyes still darting. He couldn't help but noticed the focus some of the people brought upon him. They might be Servants for Them. May be spying on me. Can not trust. Can not turn back. The chain of thought repeated in his head, and he became so obsessed with it that he jumped in fright when Vannis spoke, breaking this concentration.

"Fenilen is my name. Fenilen Ruin. Born to Maverick Ruin, brother of Emory Ruin and Nyali Ruin," he said, giving his family for no reason. He returned to silence until Vannis spoke again, commenting on how Avanthal was colder. "Wind Reach cold too. Not as cold, but it is giant mountain. Winter is harsh," the Inarta stammered out, tightening his scarf. The Kavintu was pulled tighter once more. It was almost humorous, watching the Inarta walk through the city of Avanthal. While the Vantha either wore fur coats or something thinner, he was walking around in a coat made of sheepskin, split down the back, with a pair of knee high boots and a scarf wrapped tightly around his neck. He stuck out like a sore thumb.

He nodded when Vannis informed him this was the woman's shop. "Best of wishes. Bye," he waved with one hand, and then entered, scoping out the shop from the entrance. Seemed safe enough. "Hello?" he said rather loudly. "Vannis sent me. Said to give free lesson in furnaces. Tell all I need to know. Anyone home?" The short man strode uncertainly, making his way deeper into the shop. His hand was ready to draw his sword, despite the fact he could hardly even use the thing. For all he knew, this Glassblower could be with Them!
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cheshire on October 12th, 2010, 1:53 am

Drakal had been busy all day and for Faycia that meant she had free run of the city. The Skyglow woman loved her husband dearly but there was just something about the thrill of the chase that kept her flirting with the men. She was just freshening up to go to the Crystal Cavern when she heard someone walk through her door. "A guest? I wonder who it could be?" The sound of a man's voice rang through the shop and Faycia felt her heart race. "A man! It must be my lucky day! He sounds like an outsider too!" She checked her makeup in the mirror in smiled. "One moment sir, I'll be out to help you in a moment!" It was not often the woman got to meet an outsider.

When Faycia's eyes fell upon the Inarta smile spread across her face. Vannis had requested free lessons for the man and she would of course ablige. She never turned down a man, no matter how strange the seemed to be. This man was nervous beyond belief. Faycia saw this as an opening. "Hey hun, you look nervous. Don't worry about a thing. I won't hurt you. I might try to cuddle a little but there is no harm in that right?" She sauntered over to the Inarta and placed her hands on his shoulders. She looked deep into his eyes and her own turned a deep shade of royal purple. "I'll teach you everything you need to know." Her slender fingers brushed against the man's cheeks. "I'm Faycia, you must be an Inarta. I've always wanted to meet an Inarta. What is your name honey?' She smiled at the man and played with his hair. Drakal was out and it was just her and the Inarta. So much for teaching him the art of Glassblowing.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Fenilen on October 12th, 2010, 2:16 am

Ah! A voice! Fenilen jumped, spinning around quickly, scanning for the source of the voice. Where was it coming from? Who was it? There! A woman, emerging from the depths of the shop! She must have been the source of the voice. The Inarta's green eyes watched her as she carefully stalked across the shop.

Cuddling. She may cuddle. If they cuddled, and she was with Them, she could put a knife between his ribs. No no no no, he couldn't let her close. He had to resist temptation. No cuddling. None. Zero. Nada. Oh no. She was getting closer. What should he do? Her hands were on his shoulders. She was reaching for the knife! No, she was only touching his cheeks. Why was she touching his cheeks? Why was she playing with his hair? Fenilen's cheeks burned red as he tried to figure out what was going on. Every movement of her hands, she could be reaching for some hidden weapon, reaching for the object that would end his life.

She had asked for his name? Did he give it to her? Yes. "F-F-F-Fenilen," he managed to stammer out. His body finally reacted. Weakly, a hand grabbed around the one that was playing with his hair, moving it away as he recoiled, ending up pressed against a wall. In fact, he even bent over slightly, as if cowering. This was not the reaction he had to have against an agent of Them! He had to stand up against Them, show Them his meddle!

Slowly and uncertainly, the Inarta rose again, only managing to remain in his location through sheer force of will, as every fiber of his body told him to run. Finally, the Inarta stopped stammering and managed to form a whole sentence. "Am Fenilen, son of Maverick, brother of Emory and Nyali. Hi." he twitched ever so slightly, his gaze avoiding hers to the best of his abilities.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cheshire on October 13th, 2010, 9:46 pm

The man was like a lemming. He was scared of every movement Faycia made. Although most women would have tried to comfort the man she found it very entertaining that he was scared. "You are shaking like a snowhare hun. You don't have to be scared of me Fenilen. I don't bite too much." She winked at him and walked over to the furnace. She carefully lit the furnace and watched as the great flames licked at the stone walls. She turned around and looked at the Inarta standing against the wall. She found him adorable, like a baby rabbit only this rabbit she could play with.

Faycia watched the flames with deep purple eyes and then turned to Fenilen. "I don't know why you bother using your parents names. I'm not going to know them honey. We are many cities away from your home." Faycia shot the Inarta a cocky smile and motioned for him to join her by the furnace. "Come on then, besides the fact I am giving you free lessons it is much warmer here near the fire." Faycia showed no fear talking to this obviously scared man. She never was one to think about other's feeling or wants. All that mattered to her was that she had a good time. "You know, I've always wanted to meet an Inarta. As a fellow glassblower I have always wanted to try my skills against an Inarta. I guess my chance has come along." Once again the devious smile graced her lips. She had no had this much fun in a while.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Fenilen on October 13th, 2010, 11:28 pm

"Force of habit," was all the Inarta said, walking uncertainly across the room to join her next to the furnace. He shuddered at the sudden change in temperature. He looked at the long sleeve of his Kavintu, and frowned. This would not do. He could not work in such a big coat. He was in his element in the traditional dress of the Inarta. It would be cold, but if he stayed close to the furnace, it was at least comparable to the Mountain's flames.

Gingerly, the red-haired man unbuttoned his Kavintu, placing it gently on a table. He stripped his knee-high boots, and unwound his scarf, placing them next to his Kavintu. Then, from the depths of his back, he brought out a pair of ankle-high boots, slipping into them and lacing them in silence. He smoothed his Bryda, and then produced a silk scarf and a pair of leather Sontav, strapping them onto his wrists. The scarf was tied tightly around his neck, so as to prevent it from finding its way into the flames of the furnace. A deep breath entered and left his lips as he stood before the warmth of the furnace, letting it blast onto his bare chest. He was in his element now. Nothing could stop him now! He spoke quickly in Nari, the chirping and clicking no doubt confusing Faycia.

"Priskil, giver of Light, Hope, and Fire, I thank you for this gift of Flame. I also ask that you light the paths of my sisters, so that they may walk in certainty," he then opened his eyes, speaking in Common. Certainty resonated in his voice. "Shall we begin?" He rubbed his hands together, a twinkle in his green eyes as he looked at the assorted tools. All so familiar to his burnt, scarred, calloused hands, yet all so different. Some tools were exactly the same, while others were almost unidentifiable due to their differences. A frown worked its way across his once determined face.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cheshire on October 15th, 2010, 9:34 pm

The color of Faycia's eyes turned a bright green as she saw the Inarta undressing. "Undressing already? Aww, you should buy my dinner first." She chuckled and watched as the man got ready to start the lesson. "Oh right, I'm supposed to be teaching him how to use our furnaces…" She stuck her tongue out and went to got retrieve her gloves, glasses, and apron. She did not like wearing them, she felt as though they took away from her beauty. She searched around for a ribbon, there had to be one around the shop somewhere. "Have you seen a red ribbon around anywhere honey? I cannot seem to find it." She pouted as she looked around for the small scrap of cloth. "Last time I tried to blow glass without tying my hair up I nearly lost all of it! I swear Ivak has it out for me or something." Faycia searched through drawers and under books until she found the ribbon. "Finally I found you, you sneaky little mink!" She tied her long back hair up and smiled at Fenilen. "How do I look?" It was rhetorical, she knew exactly how she looked. She just loved to hear others tell her she was beautiful.

Fenilen's sudden clicking noises attracted Faycia's attention. "What is going on with you? Are you trying to be a bird or something. You Inarta are really something else." She giggled and looked toward the fire. "Okay, the furnace is hot enough now. Next we must gather our glass and melt it." Faycia began to collect her glass and melt it in the furnace. "Aren't fires romantic Fenilen? I just love sitting near a warm furnace with a cute guy. Luckily that is happening right now." She moved closer to Fenilen and touched his shoulder. She moved close to Fenilen and whispered in his ear. "I'm very excited to teach you all about glassblowing Inarta."

Once the glass was hot enough Faycia pulled her rod out of the fire and walked it over to the table. "Now we have to roll the glass out on this table." Faycia began to roll the rod, shaping the glass. She motioned to him to do the same. "Come on, there is room here for both of us to work." she gave him a friendly smile and continued to roll her glass.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Next