Closed [Judgement] Ends and Beginnings

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[Judgement] Ends and Beginnings

Postby Ink on August 29th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Timestamp: 79th of Summer 514 AV

Iceris stepped into Thelma Jenkins’ laboratory early on that late summer morning. Iceris had watched the Apprentice, and through her Farke had seen his progress. Projects completed and hours spent at work, had been observed by golem or Vantha. Certainly the orders with Clyde’s name in Synchrograph’s office had been requisitioned. THey had put him under heavy scrutiny and found him viable.

“Master Jenkins.” Iceris began quietly, wearing her leather armor. “As the message I delivered ten days ago implied, Councillor Farke will be sponsoring Apprentice Clyde Sullins for promotion to Wizard. He has made the necessary arrangements for a judgment panel.”

Thelma nodded absently, “Yes I received a notice this morning that it would be today. I will be there after you gather up Clyde and his projects.” That was all she said before going back to her work. She had warned Clyde to disassociate himself from Farke and the Apprentice had not listened. It was no longer part of her purview, the politics would soon be his problem and she could shed herself of these worries.

Iceris nodded and bowed before moving on to Clyde’s work area. “Clyde, Councillor Farke believes you are ready. Can you bring your very best examples of work together for the judgement? Master will brief you before entering the judgement proceeding. Please be aware though that the audience will not be insubstantial, when a Councillor takes on a Wizard it is a momentous event.” Iceris stepped back, closer to the door way. “I will wait here for you to be ready. The less time it takes you to prepare yourself the more time you will have to be coached.” She warned before falling silent.

The day had begun in an otherwise uneventful fashion. Succeed or fail, that was the fork in the road Clyde now stood before. Either was a choice open to him and either path would take him to very different places. Iceris waited without expectation, a patience ingrained in some of the finest of Farke’s minions. It was she who was sent to him again, to be his guide, to bare his message, to warn him. Iceris, or Ice as Clyde called her, was a quiet woman but not demurely so. She was silent in the way that promised actions only by their absence. Iceris was on Clyde’s side.
Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 29th, 2014, 7:44 pm

79 Summer 514

As usual Clyde was about the lab, working, tinkering, and generally futzing about. He'd been working hard of late, various projects and items to make and do. New experiments, lines of research, always working and growing and doing more. But then that was the life of a mage, never fully mastering something, always more and new things to do. Even with his Glyphing and Reimancy, magics he had all but mastered, he still knew he had many things to work on, to learn, to expand. This was even more true in regards to his Magecrafting.

He likely would have gone on in such a fashion, thinking and working, except he was interrupted by an arrival at his lab. By Ice. Her speaking broke his attention, and he turned from the table before him, as always Cha in his grip.

“Master Jenkins.”

“As the message I delivered ten days ago implied, Councillor Farke will be sponsoring Apprentice Clyde Sullins for promotion to Wizard. He has made the necessary arrangements for a judgment panel.”

Clyde looked about as Thelma nodded, in a fashion that seemed to say she was almost uninterested. It was interesting to here though, that he might indeed become a wizard by rank, and not just by name, assuming the judgement on such a thing worked.

“Yes I received a notice this morning that it would be today. I will be there after you gather up Clyde and his projects.”

And with that she was back to her work, nose to the grind stone. She usually had a distracted and busy demeanor, but this seemed... Different somehow.

Now though Ice was on, directly talking to Clyde.

“Clyde, Councillor Farke believes you are ready. Can you bring your very best examples of work together for the judgement? Master will brief you before entering the judgement proceeding. Please be aware though that the audience will not be insubstantial, when a Councillor takes on a Wizard it is a momentous event.”

Clyde paused for a moment, thinking over his creations.

“Well... I've already presented Cha here, in my prior judgement. And of the other items I've made that I might want to present, I don't currently have them. The medallion was given to Farke, as was the dagger... I made a ever burning lamp for a project Master Jenkins gave me, I suppose I could bring that... Though its a pretty low level item, so I'm unsure if that would be the best to bring.”

“So I could grab the Reimancy lamp, but the rest I don't actually have. I suppose would Farke or whomever be able to bring the medallion, for me to show it and how it works? Though since it was blood bound to another wizard, it would mean only he could order it about... So he'd need to be there also.”

“I will wait here for you to be ready. The less time it takes you to prepare yourself the more time you will have to be coached.”

Depending upon her answer, Clyde's reaction would differ. Though likely regardless he would go and get the lamp infused with Reimancy and another step in behavioral enhancement. Though most of the lamp was simply a vessel, holding the actual artifact inside which was the source of the magic. Which made sense when dealing with magic, to not enchant the easily breakable bit.

Besides that he would of course bring with him Cha, and if Ice could acquire it, the medallion he'd made for the wizard under Farke's orders. Though of the latter, he did not currently have it in his possession, and even still could not work it without said wizard being there.

“I suppose I could also bring the blade I made, though I'm unsure if Farke wants others knowing of that... So perhaps that would not be a good one to bring... And I don't currently hold it either.”

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ink on September 12th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Iceris nodded absently to each of Clyde’s comments. “Farke will be present with the medallion do not worry, your sponsors must be present. As for your dagger…” She reached down at her side hidden in the dark leather was a sheath, made to blend it with the armor. She withdrew the blade. The same edge of cold iron and magic that Clyde had worked with. “I will bring that. The lamp is not a bad idea either. It would be good to show you have worked on projects not for Farke.” With a twist of her wrist the dagger was seated back in its sheath. “As for your staff… Cha? You should bring it, if only for the audience to see. A mage who can make a staff is not a small thing, Clyde. It will look favorably on you.” She headed for the door after Clyde gathered his things, “Come on now, the candle wicks don’t slow their burn.” She said the odd turn of phrase before slipping out the door.

For once their walk was neither an act of subterfuge or blatant misdirection. She led Clyde to a familiar place, the very same audience hall where the wizard’s first judgement had taken place. Nuit came and went from the entryway, far more than usually congregated in this section of the citadel but none abnormally acknowledged Iceris or Clyde. The applicant was clearly a secret still.

Of to the side stood Councilor Farke, if they didnt acknowledge Clyde it was because of the tension of the Nuit watching the would be Wizard and Iceris navigate the crowd. When they finally caught up to their Master, Farke turned and ambled away down the hallway his mages in tow. When they had left the curious Nuits behind he turned to Clyde and offered a congenial smile. “Well you have accepted my offer Clyde, and I cannot say I was not pleased.” Normally such a human phrase would be accompanied with some kind of gesture like a handshake or shoulder pat, but Farke was Nuit. So the sentence dangled awkwardly if only for a moment. “You will be met with scrutiny today when your judgement begins. The Nuit will not like that a Pulser has taken such a significant place. Some of the Judges will want you gone because I want you here, some will play the opposite hand. Though the forces that array against you in that chamber are strong and overt, know that subtly will always win and you are not without allies there.”

From a pocket in his robes Farke withdrew the medalion Clyde had imbued with magic. “Thelma Jenkins does not engage in politics as I am sure you are well aware, but that does not mean her voice has no clout. She is one of a kind in her field of research and the Nuit respect that.” He added thoughtfully, “You would be wise to use her to your advantage.”

Iceris nodded in agreement, “Master Farke is respected as well, you will not need to speak of his support and I suggest against it. His reputation is far greater as a watchful shadow than as a voice in the quorum.” Farke watched the Vantha thoughtfully but said more with a shrug of his shoulders than his voice. Iceris smirked and tossed a rueful look at Clyde.

Farke continued the preparations, “Most of the questions will be about your magic, but watch for pitfalls. If it becomes obvious that the opposition cannot stop this judgement they will try to trap you from further influence. I have plans for you Clyde, you absolutely must remain unspoiled politically before the eyes of the audience and the council members present. Do you understand? For that matter do you have any further questions? I recall you were fond of questions.”
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on September 12th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Ice did well enough to answer his various questions. Clyde in turn nodded and agreed, satisfied with what she said. He was a bit surprised when she took out the secreted dagger, hidden amongst her person.

“Farke will be present with the medallion do not worry, your sponsors must be present. As for your dagger… I will bring that. The lamp is not a bad idea either. It would be good to show you have worked on projects not for Farke.”

“As for your staff… Cha? You should bring it, if only for the audience to see. A mage who can make a staff is not a small thing, Clyde. It will look favorably on you.”

Clyde had Cha in hand, and gathered up the lamp with the Magecrafted portion secreted inside. Ice had the dagger, and Farke had the medallion... That was most of his work that still remained about.

With that they were off, headed for wherever.

“Come on now, the candle wicks don’t slow their burn.”

With that it was a more or less direct trip to the judgement hall, which Clyde had been in before for his own judgement.

Once there Clyde looked about, taking in the various people present. Farke was there, as promised. He was a councilor, important enough in his own right, especially over a normal wizard.

His smile to Clyde seemed a facade, plastered on to show something he did not perhaps truly mean, but Clyde said nothing, returning the expression with a false smile of his own.

“Well you have accepted my offer Clyde, and I cannot say I was not pleased.”

Clyde listened, but did not completely focus on Farke. His eyes moved about, listening but watching those about the room. He'd occasionally look back at Farke, but did not stare back at him, or keep eye contact as clearly the nuit was.

As it was, perhaps in part due to his wandering eyes, Clyde did not note anything odd of his words or the expression, or a missing action.

“You will be met with scrutiny today when your judgement begins. The Nuit will not like that a Pulser has taken such a significant place. Some of the Judges will want you gone because I want you here, some will play the opposite hand. Though the forces that array against you in that chamber are strong and overt, know that subtly will always win and you are not without allies there.”

Clyde nodded, looking back to Farke, and rubbing his hand up the length of Cha once, then back down to rest in its starting position.

To be so deeply ingrained in such actions, such motions and politics, was quite a bit. Clyde had been on Sahova once before, and had been here for several seasons now, since this last passed winter, and had already done so much.

“Thelma Jenkins does not engage in politics as I am sure you are well aware, but that does not mean her voice has no clout. She is one of a kind in her field of research and the Nuit respect that. You would be wise to use her to your advantage.”

“I respect her also, she has a strong mind, a strong focus. I could easily see her moving ever forward, slowly learning more for decades to come. That is her interest. For that she doesn't need politics. She has gained what she wanted without them. But not all wants and drives are so simple.”

“Master Farke is respected as well, you will not need to speak of his support and I suggest against it. His reputation is far greater as a watchful shadow than as a voice in the quorum.”

Clyde grinned back at Ice, and then nodded. It was interesting, that he was not supposed to mention Farke, but focus on other things.

“Most of the questions will be about your magic, but watch for pitfalls. If it becomes obvious that the opposition cannot stop this judgement they will try to trap you from further influence. I have plans for you Clyde, you absolutely must remain unspoiled politically before the eyes of the audience and the council members present. Do you understand? For that matter do you have any further questions? I recall you were fond of questions.”

Clyde paused, thinking over what had been said. Did he have questions? Of course he did... But which were relevant to the current situation?

“Yes, I suppose I am. I will try to limit my questions to those most pertinent... For starters, this judging is about my becoming a wizard by rank. My area of focus for this would be Magecrafting it would seem, yes? After all, my work in that art are the only things I've been asked to bring. I suppose as a subsidiary skill, I could also show my Glyphing, as it is used in conjunction with Magecrafting. Should I also mention or make a show of that magic? Or just focus on Magecrafting? For that matter I also use Auristics deeply in my work, and am also skilled in it... Should I mention it?”

Clyde paused for a moment, and then focused on what might cause him to lose face, or to appear not as wise... A moment in his judgement came back to him.

“Also, I have a question, which perhaps you could aid me in... Back during my judgement, when Cha here was being judged, a comment was made, which almost led to my judgement being dismissed. It was said that I did not truly understand what I had made, that I did not understand what I had created... However I am not quite sure on what they meant...”

“Since then I've learned to use my staff much more, though I doubt I have fully mastered it, that would likely take years of use. But is that what they meant? Also... I used a special high level catalyst in its creation, but I do not properly know what it was. Some powerful monster I fought, a bit of which I managed to acquire afterward, some filaments from it. I used that as the balancing catalyst in its creation. But I never properly learned what it was, nor am I even sure where to look... Would you perhaps now of what that thing was, and perhaps if it was related to why the judging panel felt I did not understand my creation? I'd rather know if I could, so as to avoid looking foolish or unskilled should the same question be raised.”

If asked too Clyde would detail the monster he'd fought, the mouth less shifting and morphing creature, with a strong aura that spoke in his mind, pale skin, and long wire like filaments... Of course, perhaps Farke would know of the thing, without Clyde needing to explain. After all, he'd likely heard of Cha by now, of what went into it, or perhaps even heard the events of his judgement.

Of the beast Clyde assumed it was some kind of summoned creature or other, and thus why it worked as a catalyst. But he did not truly understand what he'd fought, only that it'd taken him nearly to his limits as a Reimancer. And he was quite a skilled Reimancer.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ink on October 6th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Farke tapped his chin with a forefinger. “Your auristics? Only display the magic if you are exceedingly confident, especially in Auristics. You will not be given easy tasks to test it.” The councilor’s eyes roved over Cha once again. He had been notified of the staff’s creation of course, but had never felt the need to have it examined.

In the end the silence was broken by Iceris, “You used an unknown catalyst in a staff Clyde? in a semi-sentient construct that is… daring.”

“Daring indeed.” Farke murmured, “If we know which creature it was perhaps a study could be conducted. If it were me I would keep my answers vague and be ready to answer these same questions. Your judges will no doubt remember an apprenticeship granted on a staff.” He looked around to make certain that the trio still had a significant space for privacy. “The reason they doubted your understanding of the staff is likely because you didn’t understand your materials. I am no world mage, but in the years I have spent dealing with artifacts I can tell you that symbolism matters. Who knows what you have created here? Surely you will someday. Just try to avoid ignorance and make your answers sound like an experiment not an accident.” He shrugged.

Chiming in, Iceris added grudgingly, “If Bellerian was here he might be able to identify it but I cannot say I know the creature.”

“After this ordeal is through I will give Bellerian your description. He is the better materials specialist.” Farke noted the decided decrease in ingress to the chamber. “Come, it is time for your judgement to begin.”

Iceris followed Farke into the hall. The audience chatted amongst themselves. Nearly two hundred different souls had come to watch an apprentice be judged to become a Councilor’s wizard. Some faces leaked scorn, others mirth. Few were really happy for Clyde’s advancement; the majority were jealous.

The judges sat in a line at their table conversing quietly amongst themselves until Clyde entered. Then as one they straightened out and trailed their eyes on the apprentice. A panel of greater names could not be assembled on Sahova without a full council showing. The had sat in a pattern in which the highest ranking individual was in the center and from her the masters ranged out.

On the far right a little known wizard sat at attention. His name was Gilderay Penwood, his only real claim to fame was his immense knowledge of glyphing. Occasionally he was known to experiment with morphing but over the years he had become something of an advisor on the topic of glyphing. Most notably he had a rather outrageous mop of golden blonde hair settled on his noggin.

On the far left sat a Nuit in a boy child’s body. He was dark and somber, while his eyes were on Clyde his mind was already gone. Few managed to find Arios out of his workshop, although fewer still ever managed to find his workshop. No doubt after this panel ended he would be bombarded by requests and questions because he could disappear from the crowds. Every single mage in the room wore one of his creations, he was the ringmaker. It said something about the panel that he was the second least significant, and already a Master.

Second from the right sat the chief magecrafter on the entire island and only Isur. Once again Clyde would face the scrutiny of Goron Silverheart at this judgment. On the island known for its magical expertise throughout Mizahar, there was no higher authority on magecrafting. Some would see the honor being offered to the pulser apprentice, others would simply be intimidated.

Second from the left sat the chief embalmer, Amaryllis. Being non-magical she seemed the oddest of choices of a judgement panel. Unless Clyde truly understood his fellow Chaon’s, Annalisa Marin’s, history on the island the embalmer would continue to seem the odd woman out. Still she was exotically adorned and beautifully posed before the crowd, in the most natural way possible.

In the very center, at the seat of power sat the single female member on the council of five. Mistress Wayza eyed the crowd with feral intent. She dressed in rugged furs and her hair so white the blonde seemed inconsequential fell in slender dreads. The hollow dark look of a Nuit’s gaze seemed all the more prominent for the contrast. When she saw Clyde, she smiled and her teeth were pointed.

Iceris and Thelma both stood near the center of the room, no doubt were Clyde was expected to stand. The Vantha had Farke’s medallion around her neck and looked entirely at ease in the situation. Jenkins on the other hand had a bracelet that Clyde had never seen before in her palm and was examining it, utterly ignoring her surroundings.

Wayza’s voice screeched out through the chamber, command dead silence. “Now shall begin the Judge of Apprentice Clyde Sullins!”

sitting position :
To make it clear they are sitting in this order:
Arios| Amaryllis | Wayza | Goron | Gilderay

Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on October 6th, 2014, 5:05 pm

“Your auristics? Only display the magic if you are exceedingly confident, especially in Auristics. You will not be given easy tasks to test it.”

Clyde nodded, understanding his logic. While he was proficient with Auristics, perhaps not enough so as he said to take any test. Glyphing though, he was good enough with those to past most any test, it had in fact been how he had managed to gain a position as a instructor at the college in Zeltiva. Not even by complexity of design, but by simplicity and a well articulated and highly refined trigger condition which was very specific.

“Fine, I will keep away from Auristics as a topic unless they bring it up. But I think I will still mention Glyphing and its uses in Magecafting, as I do not fear any test in it they could put against me. I am better at it than in Magecrafting honestly.”

As Clyde thought on things, he did not notice Farke eying Cha in his hand. He kept it by his side more or less all of the time, and was deeply connected to it by his constant use over the seasons. It was only a matter of time till he fully unlocked its potential.

For an instant he had the sudden impulse to flow a small bit of res from Cha, just to show he could, perhaps a small flame globe floating above it as he entered, directed by the staff... But he fought off the thought with a twitch of his will, the magic being superfluous. Though he was unsure were the sudden thought had come from. Perhaps it had simply been awhile since he'd used his Reimancy, and so needed to burn off a bit of excess whatever.

It was Ice's words though that broke him from his revery, and drew his gaze.

“You used an unknown catalyst in a staff Clyde? in a semi-sentient construct that is… daring.”

“Daring indeed.”

For once Clyde actually looked at a loss for words, and somewhat dumbfounded. He had honestly never considered that fact. He had used a unknown quantity on such an important task... It took him a moment to think his actions through, and recall the underlying reason. Though he would be hard put to say if this was simply a justification after the fact, or a true reason.

“If we know which creature it was perhaps a study could be conducted. If it were me I would keep my answers vague and be ready to answer these same questions. Your judges will no doubt remember an apprenticeship granted on a staff.”

“Well, I used it for its power. If you had faced the creature, you would not have been in any doubt that the ingredient would be a powerful catalyst for use in Magecrafting. Just by being near the monster, its very presence could be felt and pressed in upon one, even without Auristics. I had no doubt that whatever its effect, it would be strong. Perhaps it was a small risk, but not a true one, not when I knew how potent it was, not nearly such a risk as you might think.”

Though the comment on Cha being semi-sentient puzzled Clyde. He had given no steps to increase the items intelligence, it was a tool, no more intelligent inherently than a normal stick. Of course, Ice was no master Magecrafter, so perhaps she was simply mistaken, or had misheard the steps Clyde had placed upon it.

“The reason they doubted your understanding of the staff is likely because you didn’t understand your materials. I am no world mage, but in the years I have spent dealing with artifacts I can tell you that symbolism matters. Who knows what you have created here? Surely you will someday. Just try to avoid ignorance and make your answers sound like an experiment not an accident.”

Clyde simply nodded, agreeing to what he said. Though it seemed a bit of a risk there, to go in hoping something was not brought up... He would just have to hope it was not brought up, and to give an honest answer more or less. That his use of the unknown catalyst had been in the desire to utilize a powerful catalyst, and to possibly give it some ability beyond the norm if another lesser reagent had been used.

Of course, part of the truth was simply its being in his possession. He had not had any other catalysts available for use in the staff, and so he had used the one he had. That, now that he thought on it, had likely played a larger factor in his use. But better to use the after the thought justification, which was true enough.

“If Bellerian was here he might be able to identify it but I cannot say I know the creature.”

“After this ordeal is through I will give Bellerian your description. He is the better materials specialist.”

Clyde nodded, glad that perhaps the mystery would finally be solved, and he would learn of the things true providence. Especially since he still held in his possession several of the filaments, which he had yet to use.

“Come, it is time for your judgement to begin.”

And with that, things had begun, and his next test was at hand. Upon entering he was a bit surprised by the number of people, but did not let it show on his face. He quickly entered into his well practiced meditative ritual, of controlling his breathing and keeping it even. This helped to both calm him down, and to keep himself even and controlled, and cleared of those unneeded thoughts which might poke up in such a high pressure situation.

Standing before them, Clyde met their eyes, Cha held firmly in hand, the familiar presence of the wood further calming along with his breathing exercise. He was also well enough practiced in other much less magical arts, such as intimidation, persuasion, and negotiation, and so knew to look strong and firm, while not giving in to his opponents glares or stares. For a battle it was, of words not spells or blades, but still just as dire. A battle he planned to win.

Clyde passed his eyes once over those before him, seeing some familiar faces, and some less familiar. As his eyes passed over the one second from the left though, a odd memory sparked, of a large chamber with some kind of liquid. He could not recall her name, something A-ish, but recalled from a vague memory that he had worked under her a long time ago on the island. But then, his memories of his last time on Sahova were murky at best, as he had still been under the powerful hypnotic effect then, and had yet to have it broken.

It was a bit disconcerting though, to think she might know him quite well, and yet he hardly recalled her. But with a few breaths he expelled the thought, focusing on his task.

Clyde followed along with Ice, standing near the center of the room. The whole thing seemed somewhat overly theatrical, but he decided to simply play along.

The moment broke as a order was given, and Clyde settled his eyes on the woman speaking it. Clearly she was the one in charge.

“Now shall begin the Judge of Apprentice Clyde Sullins!”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ink on October 26th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Arios bristled, he was minor at this table but he was no means minor on the island. The Nuit in his pubescent body arched forward from his chair. “Well Clyde Sullins? I was told you were a magecrafter what exactly have you crafted?” He sounded impatient.

Wayza nodded, but spoke without reprimand as Arios had “Let’s see what you’ve got child.” Some part of her was commanding, but not in the way of royalty and pomp. She was like an eagle, she never stopped to consider she might not be the most powerful in the room.

In the dramatics of it all, Farke had disappeared. There was an air to the whole affair, as Clyde had guessed that jumped the border of ostentatious and ran floricking into hubris. As many as were concerned with the Pulser, Farke, and the Judgment there was no way it was so many. Something else was occurring here.

Iceris leaned towards Clyde, and murmured, “Perhaps the lamp first and work your way up?” she suggested. Though how he went about his judgement was wholly his choice. For all that she said, he could rip off his robes and dance a Ravokian jig and they would evaluate that.
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on October 27th, 2014, 1:14 am

As the first nuit leaned forward and spoke, Clyde met his eyes, listening to his words for meaning. He did not doubt that a subtle game was being played, and he had no desire to be left behind in it.

“Well Clyde Sullins? I was told you were a magecrafter what exactly have you crafted?”

Before he could respond another mage spoke, requesting a similar demand.

“Let’s see what you’ve got child.”

Clyde did not flinch at the fact of being called a child. Even for a human mage, he was young. But then, he'd started much earlier than many mages. Along with that, he'd developed as a battle mage, forged in the heat of battle. Those mages by necessity grew in ability faster than those less pressed, or else they did not live to continue onward.

He had passed were others had failed and died, and so was a better mage in a shorter span of time because of it.

As he collected his thoughts, Ice leaned over, giving him a few words of advice before he responded.

“Perhaps the lamp first and work your way up?”

Clyde nodded, clutching Cha a bit tighter, and then stood tall before them, prepared to speak.

He quickly ran through what he had done in Magecrafting while on Sahova... But he quickly narrowed that down to what was here. For instance while he had done an interesting bit of evaluation in figuring out that enchanted net, he had not actually made such a enchantment. And while he had done work with Anna, such as his glowstone, and other side ventures he had done on his own, he did not have them in person with him.

That limited him down to four items, one of which had already been inspected, Cha.

Clyde took a deep breath, steadied himself, and began to speak.

“I am indeed a Magecrafter, and have crafted quite a number of items here on Sahova, of which I have been the lead on. However I will be focusing on several specific items that I have personally enchanted, which are still in my labs personal possession. I have worked on others, but I no longer retain them. Such is common amongst Magecrafters, due to the financial restrictions common in it. So I will only mention the ones that are here for you to see.”

Pausing for a moment, Clyde brought force the first item, the lamp, which still burned as if fed from oil inside. In actuality it was a magical flame, with no mundane source of fuel, but shaped so as to appear more or less as a normal lamp.

“This is the first item I personally crafted within Mrs.Jenkins lab. I appraised another such item, deciphered the enchantment laid upon it, and then duplicated and improved upon its form and Magecrafting. It is a ever burning magical lamp, fed by a magical fire. It utilizes d-wire, a work of Glyphing, to feed the flame up into the lamp apparatus, so that it appears to burn like a normal lamp would.”

“The lamp itself is simply a shell, and non-magical, since I deemed it not cost effective to enchant such a non-durable object, particularly the glass. Also so that if desired, it could be placed within a different object to produce flame, either for aesthetic reasons, or for re-purposing. Instead, there is a much stronger metal sphere base within the lamp apparatus, which itself has been enchanted, and has a metal protrusion from which the flame exits. Due too the d-wire, this is then fed upward as if from a burning wick. Upon the base sphere I laid a step in magic, that of Reimancy, so that it can produce fire. I also laid upon it a behavioral step, to hard-wire into it the specific lamp flame spell. Thus before you is the Ever Burning Lamp.”

Clyde quickly pressed onward, next moving to the following difficulty enchantment, the Anti-nuit dagger.

“Next, was a item that was commissioned, and which my Colleague here assisted with, an Anti-nuit dagger. For obvious reasons it is a intriguing area to work in, for both the direct knowledge gained from the enchantment, and from the knowledge derived from its inverse. Such is the workings of Magecrafting, that for every step, the opposite is possible. The base item was a cold iron dagger of fine make. I then used the ichor of several nuits, to imbue and imbibe the dagger with the essence of the nuit. This then made the dagger stronger against those of this essence. I then enhanced this behavior, so as to make it even more Anti against the essence it was imbibed with.”

“I would further theorize that if said anti-behavior is possible, along with enhancing said anti behavior, then so is the inverse, and that with further research a item could then be made that perhaps has no offensive capability against nuits, or at least diminished capability against them, while it would harm others normally. However without further research, such a concept remains only a concept, albeit a highly plausible and logical one.”

Clyde paused for a moment to let his words sink in, as he passed on to his final object, the medallion.

“The last object I am presenting is this medallion, also of fine make. It is able to produce, control, and create flames, for uses in various tasks both menial and tactical.”

“This specific medallion was bound using nuit ichor, so that only said specific nuit can harness or use this particular Magecrafted item. I also enhanced it with a single step in magic, that of Reimancy, to allow it to create fire. Along with that, four steps in intelligence were placed upon it, making it semi-sentient and self capable, and able to connect and communicate directly and mentally with its user. I also instilled within its mentality a series of basic fire spells of various types and use, to act as a base of knowledge, and common spells to utilize, since the user himself is not a Reimancer, and would not have the knowledge to utilize it fully without said base information. Fully enchanted, the item is a work at the level of MC 5.”

Clyde paused, done presenting his various works since taking on his apprenticeship, and made a small nod/bow to the mages before him, signifying that he was done, and ready for the next step. Clyde assumed this would be follow up questions, but admittedly did not know for sure what structure such a process involved.

He eased off on his hold of Cha, another of his works. However since he had already presented it, he did not mention it just yet. Especially due to the conversation he'd had before this all began. Instead, he let it sit silently in his hand, a length of blue wood, clearly magical to even the weakest of auristical inspections.

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ink on October 30th, 2014, 12:46 am

When Clyde finish his presentation of the three objects, Iceris took them up to the judge’s table. Some hands hesitated at different pieces, most notably Silverheat never sent the medallion any further down the table, he stared at it in uffish contemplation.

“Appraised you say? What method did you use?” Gilderey asked. The two remaining items, the blade and the lamp ended with him.

“Your theory that an opposite of anti-behavior exists is an interesting one. Would you seek to create this behavior with your time as a Wizard on Sahova?” The gruff voice came from none other than Goron Silverheart.

Arios glanced down at Goron through narrowed and suspicious eyes, but wisely said nothing to the Isur. Instead he turned to Clyde again. “These items are fine, but what of that staff Apprentice? Is it merely a walking stick or a kin to the ancient battle staves?”

Amaryllis spoke up serenly, “He presented the staff at his Apprenticeship judgement. It may not be used to judge him twice. The advantage is against the spirit of the judgement.” Her words seemed to wilt near the end, almost implying the ‘same on you’ at Arios. Her words were made to seem as though she hindered the human apprentice, but as Clyde knew; it was in his best interest not to show the staff. There had been warnings of undercurrents in this meeting and some were beginning to show themselves, even if in subtle ways.

Wayza began without referencing the embalmer and the ring maker’s comments. “To be a Pulser Wizard on Sahva Clyde Sullins, is a far greater task than your undead counterparts are given. You must show yourself superior to your peers, but any Nuit taking this judgement would be asked for a secondary magic. Have you an additional discipline to display? Your works of magecrafting are of sufficient quality.”

Silverheart nodded in agreement, “You might have just showed the medallion and the quality would be passable.”
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on October 30th, 2014, 2:52 am

Once Clyde had finished saying his piece, all he had left to do was wait... Wait and answer questions, which came just as expected. First the three Magecrafted works were brought to be inspected by the mages judging him. Clyde did his best to watch how the various people reacted to items, and to note which ones focused on which pieces the longest, but had trouble recalling all but one. That of the isur focusing on his medallion, apparently deep in thought.

“Appraised you say? What method did you use?”

Clyde turned to the man asking the question, referring to his earlier statement that he had examined the items and appraised them to figure out how they worked.

“I found that the most effective method was to isolate the object within warding, and then give its aura an in depth inspection via Auristics. I've spent enough time examining Magecrafted items during and after enchantments, that I'm somewhat capable in deciphering how they function. Given enough time at least. Its not a quick process, but with persistence some degree of success is achieved. Paired at least with a understanding of the effects it can have, and looking at it logically.”

Clyde did his best to downplay his use of Auristics, though admittedly many of his inspections had taken bells or even the better part of a day. One of the trickiest ones had been the net infused with the bait, a truly odd and unique item. He'd only managed to puzzle that one out in hindsight, and by seeing the depth of the enchantment.

Once that question was answered he was on to the next, posed by the Isur.

“Your theory that an opposite of anti-behavior exists is an interesting one. Would you seek to create this behavior with your time as a Wizard on Sahova?”

Clyde paused, considering how best to answer, before launching into an explanation. Though it seemed likely from his question that he was either familiar with the mechanics of Magecrafting, or a Magecrafter himself.

“As I said, it seems a logical continuation, bearing other bits in mind. If the inverse of adding weight to an item is possible, that of making it lighter, why would the inverse of anti-behavior not be similarly possible and symmetrical? Magecrafting is after all much about balance and symmetries in all things. As for attempting to prove this theory in action should I gain the position of Wizard on Sahova... It would certainly be one of the projects I would be interested in testing, and a promising avenue of research.”

On this question, Clyde gave a bit more information than strictly necessary, though this was due to bearing in mind the other wizards before him. While the Isur might understand the concept well enough, a non-Magecrafter would likely find his extra explanation of theory useful.

Honestly though, Clyde had not even thought on such a thing before coming in, in all honesty the idea had simply popped into his head while he was explaining the dagger, so as to give a logical reason as to why he had been making a weapon against nuits to a council mainly made up of them. While he had not lied, his words had been more about giving such a plausible reason for its creation. Though once it was brought up, the idea did intrigue Clyde, and made him want to test it out further.

Next was another man, asking on his staff Cha.

“These items are fine, but what of that staff Apprentice? Is it merely a walking stick or a kin to the ancient battle staves?”

However before he had a chance to rebut the question, the female nuit replied for him.

“He presented the staff at his Apprenticeship judgement. It may not be used to judge him twice. The advantage is against the spirit of the judgement.”

Clyde nodded, speaking a short explanation to settle the matter, but not dwelling on it.

“As you believed, this staff is a Magic Staff, a work of Magecrafting. But as also has been said, it has already been presented once, and so I did not bring it up.”

Likewise, he did not bring up the robes he wore, which were also a work of Magecrafting, or enchanted by it. But then, he had not made them, had not enchanted them, instead they had been a gift upon his becoming Ebonstryfe to replace the mundane ones destroyed while he was tortured.

With that said, the words of those before him pressed on, though with a much less direct question, or perhaps not even a question at all.

“To be a Pulser Wizard on Sahva Clyde Sullins, is a far greater task than your undead counterparts are given. You must show yourself superior to your peers, but any Nuit taking this judgement would be asked for a secondary magic. Have you an additional discipline to display? Your works of magecrafting are of sufficient quality.”

“You might have just showed the medallion and the quality would be passable.”

Clyde paused, staring for a moment at the Isur, and puzzling over his statement, before turning back to the asker of the first question, on his second discipline of magic. As Auristics had been brought up, he could perhaps bring it up... But, he felt he was better off with Glyphing, and had a more direct tie in with Magecrafting.

“I do have a secondary discipline to display, one that I use very heavily in my Magecrafting, for protective, ensconcing, and warding purposes. That of Glyphing. My skill in it is at least on par with my Magecrafting, and I use it regularly to enforce balance in my work, and to keep out outside interference of djed, and to hinder the buildup of excess djed within the wardings and the pedestal.”

Clyde paused for a moment, wondering exactly how he should continue, since he had no works of Glyphing to display. But he quickly enough regained his momentum, with a answer on the spot that should satisfy them, or so he hoped.

“Since it is a much less time consuming magic than my Magecrafting, I could if you wish create something on the spot, to prove my ability. Or various instances of it, to show my flexibility. Or one large instance. I suppose that depends upon how you would desire for me to display my capabilities in it. Though that might require some assistance, if you wish to fully test my works against others magical attacks. Or I could ward a small object as such.”

A somewhat bold claim, as anyone versed in Glyphing would know, to say that he could block or mitigate anothers spell, and to put forth the option of having another attack his glyphs with their given magic. But then, considering he had done such things before, even capturing a hostile lightning spell from Anna, who was a well accomplished Reimancer, he did not much fear any spell cast upon his work. In the latter case, of warding a small object, he more or less was referring to turning an object into anti-magic material.

Finished with his speech, Clyde did recall one instance of his Glyphing work, which he still had in his possession. A small reimanced earth cube, glyphed with his stealth glyphs, making said cube more or less anti-magic material. He had made it a few seasons back, in spring... But it was still in working order. Though now that he thought on it, it might be better to make something new, and so he did not bring it up as an afterthought.

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next