Flashback [Northern Wilds] Let it Fly

Robin is training up his bow skills, his old man decides to make it more interesting

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Northern Wilds] Let it Fly

Postby Robinson Gilli on September 6th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Fall 506 A.V. 19th day 14th bell

The weather is cooler today’ Robin noted as he looked at the clear Fall skies before him ‘Funny, I thought it would be more cloudy’ He sighed at this as he looked at the longbow held in his left hand. The weapon could reach the height of a 15 year old boy, of which the age was he had received the longbow from his father. It was an interesting weapon to say the least, the limbs of the weapon were curved inward and set in place unlike a regular bow, which only stayed bent when strung. This gave it a bit of an advantage over the regular long bow in that the limbs could store more power when being drawed with the string, therefore giving a bit more distance and power to the arrow released from the bow.

Unfortunately that didn’t mean it was any easier to draw than a regular longbow, the draw weight behind it requiring more strength than that of a short bow. A full season practicing the weapon had only instilled the basic stance within him yet not enough arm or shoulder strength to pull the bow string back with ease ‘No point sulking I suppose, best just train so da doesn’t get on me case about it’ Thought Robin as he looked at the makeshift target before him, and by makeshift he meant it was a thick crate repurposed to be an archery target, with black and white target rings encircling each other and big petching target at the center. Surrounding the target was a black ring that was in turned surrounded by a white on followed a black one and ended with a white one.

Taking a deep breathe he took his stance upon an imaginary line, setting his feet shoulder length apart with his left forward the imaginary line and his right behind it, parallel to the line itself. Next he turned his head, straightening himself with his chin over his bow arm and pretty much looking like a straight stick as he raised his bow arm and looked down the range. The target was 30 meters away from him, more than adequate for training himself. With his right he reached for one of the long shafted arrows resting in the quiver on his back, and rested it atop of his left grip as he nocked it to the string. With a steady breath he pulled back the string with three fingers covered by his archer’s glove, pulling back till it reached it’s zenith past his ears. To pull it back he needed a mixture of back and shoulder strength so he could pull back the string this far.

He grunted as he held it still, it was still troubling to pull back the string, even worse in that if he didn’t let go pretty soon then he would misfire badly. With a quick look at the target, deciding an attempt for the center as he took in the sidewind and the velocity, adjusting his aim accordingly. Finally, with a still and steady breath he let loose the string and observed as the arrow flew through the air in an arc trajectory, for a moment he thought it was going to hit the target dead center but alas, it did nothing of the sort as it flew past the crate and landed a couple of metres behind it.

Behind him came a familiar chuckle as Robin muttered a curse or two “ Still can’t hit the broadside of a barn, can’t you boy?” Robin turned to face the voice of his father, Hjalgar, who chuckled as he held a shortbow in his hand with an arrow ready to be drawn ready to show his boy who’s the best.
Last edited by Robinson Gilli on September 29th, 2014, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Languages spoken:

Common=fluent, Fratava=basic, Pavi=poor

"Is not that I dun wanna talk, is jus' that I'm not good at it"
Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Words: 88416
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2014, 7:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on September 6th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Hjalgar grinned as he motion for his boy to move aside as he raised his bow, taking on a position much like Robin’s as he drew back the string. Robin moved back behind his old man, who took his time aiming the bow whilst Robin himself pulled out an arrow and nocked it to the bow string. Releasing the string of his shortbow, the smaller projectile flew through the air and struck the corner of the makeshift target, though notably with less force than it would have been if the longer arrow had hit its mark. Robin mentally sighed at this, noting his father’s instinctual use of adjusting his stance in order to match the distance the arrow would need to travel to hit the target.

To be honest it wasn’t a very good shot even for a shortbow, Hjalgar was just a merc who seemed to fill a niche in whatever group he teamed up with on a job or so which many a gang or merc group tend to appreciate. Hjalgar turned to his lad with a cheeky grin that dared him to try better, Robin with a mildly defiant glint in his eye took up that challenge as he resumed taking his position, drawing the bow as he took in the distance of the crate, mimicking his father somewhat as he raised the bow in order to achieve the trajectory proper for his arrow to make contact with the target.

He could feel the strain as he drew back the string, his shoulder muscles still complaining about the difficulty of pulling the heavy string, signifying his inexperience as a bowman. He released the string and let it eject the arrow forward as it flew through the air in that signature arc trajectory. With a heavy and forceful Thwack the arrow hit home, striking the outermost white ring at the eastern corner. Robin grinned at his father, who while he had struck the crate didn’t really hit any of the rings and his father frowned as such….. it was more of a pouty face really, which was disturbing to see on a man his age.

Hjagar sighed as he took his sons place, muttering curses as his son did so earlier, took up a stance with the arrow already in place. He then drew the bow and let loose another arrow, which fell short of target by a foot “ Petch me, I didn’t measure the distance” He didn’t dare turn around att he moment, know what lay in store if he did.

Robin grinned widely at his father’s mishap as he readied another arrow and took up the stance, measuring the distance as he drew back the bow. The third pull was more difficult now, however, the complaints of his shoulder and arm getting louder and louder. It was usually like this, by the 5th shot he’d need to rest soon. Still, he needed to continue as well as he took aim and looked down the range at the crate. Satisfied, he let loose the string and allowed the arrow to fly through the air and with a thwak the arrow lodged itself in the outer black circle at bottom left, two circles away from the target.

He turned to his father with shyke-ass grin and tilted his head towards his father ‘Beat that, old man'
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on September 8th, 2014, 7:58 am

Hjalgar raised a brow at his son and took his place at the shooting line, not being one to get shown up by his own boy he pulled out an arrow from his quiver and readied another arrow , nocked it to the string and drew it back. He was taking his time aiming the projectilce, in a state of complete focus that was rare for Hjalgar…. Robin doubted it would do him much good but he didn’t want his Da to somehow one up him so he did what he thought was best as he moved behind his day. The man was so engrossed in trying to get a good shot in he failed to hear the boy’s obvious movment as Robin’s feet kicked up the dirt beneath him.

Once he was closely behind his Da he leaned forward near his ear and whispered “boo” the simple sound caused Hjalti to prematurely release the string as the arrow flew throught the air and didn’t even get past 10 meters as it landed on top of the earth. Robin let out an uncharacteristic bark of laughter as he fell on his back and grasped his stomach, his dear ol’ Da simply turning with a fuming glare adorning his face, not taking too kindly to his dear boy’s act of sabotage.

Oh you will pay for that boy” announced Hjalgar, watching as Robin tried to stop stifling his laughter only for him to break out into an even larger one as his father’s face was red as a tomato. This of course only led for the angry Hjalgar’s face to turn even redder, petch nearly as red as blood really. Soon Robin’s laughter faded and as he carried himself up along with picking up his bow, he resumed his pace at the shooting line, ready to show his Da how it’s done.

He drew an arrow from his quiver and nocked it to the bow, drew the string back and focused himself to let loose another arrow….. only for something he should have expected to happen. Hjalgar was moving behind his boy’s back and once he was at a safe enough distance to distract the lad, he brought up his shortbow and used to sweep off one of Robin’s feet, causing him to lose his balance and nearly falling on his back. While all that was happening Robin had unintentionally let loose a long shafted arrow up to the sky, going who knows where before he finally fell on his back.

Never try to mess with yer Da boy, I’m better at it then you are” Robinson grumbled at that as he looked up at his fathers shyke-grinning face, apparently he looked priceless as the old man suddenly broke out into a fit of laughter not unlike the one his son had a few chimes ago.

Petch you Da….Petch you
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on September 12th, 2014, 8:36 pm

After the clown duo had their fill of messing around with each other’s shot, they resumed their little competition with their last few shots. It was a close battle truth be told, with as twice as many misses as they did hit the blasted target. It was a battle of will rather than a battle of skill; it was determination that led them on equal ground as they refused to allow the other the upper hand. The battle was close, yet in the end and perhaps as expected Robin had won with his longbow. Robinson had the closest arrow to the center, which wasn’t really saying much considering how many of those arrows he and his Da had wasted.

The duo then began gathering the arrows, a more boring activity and a bit tiring especially for Robin as his long shafted arrows were scattered in a wider radius. It was during this quiet time he asked his Da a question “Da? Um…..why didn’t you teach me how to use a short bow like the one you had?” Hjalty turned his head slightly, a raised brow on his face.

Hmmm? Didn’t I tell you boy? Cause its bigger!” Somehow the man could sense the skeptical look of his son, as the boy didn’t believe bigger was better “ I’m not kidding lad, you pulled the string of my bow once, you must get my meaning” In that sense he did, compared to drawing his Da’s short bow his Longbow was a good deal’s harder and the shots were a good deal stronger, but that was old news “ If you still don’t get it, it gives off a big impression especially if you know how to use it. A man who can kill at a far off distance can be a petching scary thing my boy, and with that axe of yours you should be scarier” So it was a fear factor that his father relied upon.

“But Da, won’t I be attracting a lot of petchers?” Hjalgar then bursted into laughter, thinking his son’s question was a bit stupid.

That’s why you have the axe boy, yer gonna be wanna be strong in both…yer gonna wanna master both! Be a monster amongst men so that whenever they see you, they know respect is a petching common courtesy with you” Robin thought about a bit, and the more he did the more he thought his Da was crazy, if he were to become a valued bastard then he’d be painting a blood soaked target on his back.

‘[i] Still, I guess that means I’d a bloody natural disaster on two legs[/i[‘ He grinned at that though as he resumed gathering his arrows, the thought becoming more and more appealing to him.

What a crazy vagik.
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Avarice on September 26th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Succumb to Your Desires
Robinson :
Skills:
  • Observation +2
  • Weapon: Composite Longbow: +4
  • Body Building +1
Lores:
  • Composite Longbow: Perpetually Curved Yet Harder to Draw
  • A Challenge Between Father and Son
  • The Basic Stance of a Composite Longbow
  • Composite Longbow: Much More Fierce Than A Shortbow

Comments :
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM! Furthermore, please edit your post in the request thread to reflect your having received a grade. Thank you! :D
Avarice
Twister's Avaricious Minion; AS of Sunberth

Words: 128126
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)