Flashback [Northern Wilds] Boy's First Axe

Gilli gets his first training axe and some lessons from dear ol' da

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Northern Wilds] Boy's First Axe

Postby Robinson Gilli on September 6th, 2014, 7:11 pm

504 A.V. 28th day of Dall 11th bell 34 chime

He was 13 years old at the time, practically a young man now as he held the gift from his father. At first the young man thought it was a toy as it was made of wood, but once he got the feel of it was more than just a simple toy….It was a training weapon and not just any training weapon; A battleaxe just like his dear ol’ Da. It was a heavy thing, almost as much as dear ol’ Da’s itself, at his age he could barely hold it with and thus was forced to wield it with two hands. He was very proud to have it really, a gift like that meant his Da was willing to train him and so train him.

They were at the northern wilds, his father’s preferred area for training and what was there was a dead husk of a tree. Dead and thick, ready to be used for training with ill-effects unless Caiha decided to get angry at that, not that young Robinson or his dunder ‘ead of a father knew of her. Hjalgar Gilli ruffled his sons head, which annoyed the boy to know end although he knew it was his father’s way of showing affection.

Alright, boy. Its simple enough, whack at that till your done and tired” Quite simple indeed as Robinson moved forward and struck wildly at the husk, it was the one of the most fun the boy could have but something quickly came apparent to the young Gilli. The strikes were wild and powerful, but too wide and easy to predict, but that wasn’t what became apparent no….what became apparent was that he was getting tired fast and as he got tired the weight of the axe seemed to increase.

Hjalgar grinned as he saw this, recalling the days his own da taught him how to use an axe. Ahhhhhh how nostalgic it was to see his cute little Robin trying to be just like dear ol’ Da… though in truth Hjlagar’s Da had the tendency to smack him upside the head for wise arse comments. He found himself grinning like a petcher as he saw his boy getting tired awfully fast. Poor kid must be thinking he’d be too weak now so it was best to intervene “[color] Robin my boy, set that blasted axe down now. You’re not supposed to whack it till your dead you know, you’re Ma won’t allow it[/color]” Robin, now breathing heavily and looking exhausted let the axe drop and dropped against the tree, looking up at his Da as he approached.

“Da, why I’m I so tired?” Asked Robin, to which he received a bark of laughter from him.

Well what did ye expect boy? This is only the first time you’ve ever used an axe after all, ye need the strength to swing it” Gilli was about to ask another question before his da cut him off “ Ye see Robin, the reason why I’m having you beat up that husk is because I wan’t you to build up that strength, at the same time I wanted to see anything that we need to fix about yer form

“And um…how much do we need to fix, Da?” He received a loud bark of laughter once again as a reply and from that he knew the answer ‘A petching a lot, that’s what
Languages spoken:

Common=fluent, Fratava=basic, Pavi=poor

"Is not that I dun wanna talk, is jus' that I'm not good at it"
Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Words: 88416
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2014, 7:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on September 7th, 2014, 7:46 pm

A few chimes later Robinson found himself facing the dead tree husk with the battle axe in his hands, his father standing near him but still out of the battleaxe’s range ready to point out to his son what he needs to fix with his own training battle axe in hand “ Alright lad, lets begin with the most obvious. You have a horrible grip on your axe, you’re holding it too tightly that you’re likely to choke it if it were a chicken” He said as he gently tapped his boy’s left hand with his training axe “ hold it firmly with you’re right, but not too firm. And hold it loosely with your left since it won’t be gripping the axe all the time. Do the opposite if your left becomes the hand primarily gripping it lad.

Gilli nodded to signify to his da he was listening as he adjusted his grip according to the advice given to him. Too be honest, it didn’t really feel much different than the grip he was using prior but he knew better than to disagree and thus waited for further instruction “ There’s a good lad, now spread yer legs apart to shoulder length, way you are now that if you were to move you’re liable to trip over yer own feet boy” Again Robin nodded in acknowledgement as he did so, feeling that the words of his Da were logical.

Alright lad, to be honest the rest of the things you can only fix with constant practice. In other words….” A cheeky shyke grin formed on the codger of a father’s face. Robin nodded, though not without muttering some insult to his dear old Da whom politely ignored it. Robin now just had to just keep at it till he was good and tired, which actually sounded quite annoying all of a sudden.

After his Da took a safer distance away, the lad began hacking and slashing at the husk. It still took a lot out of him he realized, but for some reason doing the deed seemed to be easier as he struck against it. It was quite a bit of fun and it wasn’t as strainful on his wrists as it was previously.

From behind him Hjalgar gave his son a kind gentle smile as he sat down on the dirt, taking his time watching his boy just bit by bit getting stronger.
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on September 12th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Robin enjoyed the training very much as he swung his battle axe against the dead tree husk, in a weird way his movements felt swifter, but the movement was still quite tiring as he could feel the muscles in his arm complain that he was enjoying himself too much and similar to the first time he found himself slowing down, his already sloppy movements growing more sloppy and slower as his arms ached and the pacing of his breath becoming deeper and quicker. Training was definitely not an easy thing even though his Da gave him a few pointers.

He quickly slumped against the hust, letting the training axe fall from his hand as his body lowered itself and flipped so that his back faced the dead wood. His father gave him a slight chuckled as he approached the boy, picked up the axe and placed through his belt then proceeded to pick up his tired boy, who muttered a weak objection at being carried like a potato “This is as good as yer training will get for now boy, when your body gets used to you’ll be fighting longer and harder so just be patient, eh?” He told the young sack of potatoes as he patted him on the back and made their way home.

Whilst on the way however, Hjalgar began to get sappy and began to speak “I tell you boy, yer gonna be a force to reckon’ with when ya get older, ya hear me? You got brains, body and heart to be just that and don’t let anybody tell ya different……” The tired Robin listened intently, his eyes looking down at the ground whilst he was over his Da’s shoulder “ I don’t have much skill or talent boy, I’m the guy the others go to just because they need one more….. but you boy? You’ll be the one they go to because they only NEED one, ah but maybe its jus’ yer dear ol’ da making things bigger than they are….. but I think you’ll grow into it, ya?” Robin didn’t really know how to answer that, his heart knew he wanted to be like his Da, but better than him? It seemed like a foreign concept, a blasphemous thing really…. But the more he thought on it, the more it seemed like a good one.

“Ah, I’ll be the best you ever did see”
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Avarice on September 26th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Succumb to Your Desires
Robinson :
Skills:
  • Weapon: Battleaxe +3
  • Body Building +2
Loot:
  • A Practice Battleaxe (Wooden; Value: 25 sm)
Lores:
  • A Training Battleaxe, A Gift from Da
  • My Form Needs A Lot of Petching Work
  • How to Grip a Battleaxe Properly
  • Wielding a Battleaxe: Basic Stance
  • My Father Sees So Much Potential In Me

Comments :
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM. Furthermore, please edit your post in the request thread to reflect your having received a grade. Thank you! :D
Avarice
Twister's Avaricious Minion; AS of Sunberth

Words: 128126
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)