Closed [Alements] An Open Door

Caelum and Aoren meet. Again.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Aoren on September 7th, 2014, 4:37 am

86th of Fall, 514 AV

8th Bell

Aoren was tired. That was the word that could best describe him at that present moment in time. His muscles ached. His head swam with travel weariness. His eyes were close to drooping simply because there was no such thing as a good night’s sleep on a ship at sea. At least not as far as he could get used to. Bless Laviku but Aoren knew with all certain he was not meant to be a sailor. The sea, while beautiful, just didn’t possess the same call for him as it did the multitude of people that he had traveled with. He had parted the ship, and his brother, earlier that morning with the promise that he would meet up with his twin later once he’d found appropriate lodgings. For the moment he just wanted to sit down and the Alements tavern was the first place on the map that he’d seen.

It’s certainly impressive isn’t it, boy?” Isikai looked up at Aoren with a quirk of his head. The dog needed a bath. So did Aoren. Both of them smelled of wood, sea salt, and sweat. The Drykas man wondered how long it would be before he could get the smell out of his skin. He fully intended to give himself a good scrubbing. At the moment though he just wanted to put something other than travel rations into his stomach. Isikai’s too. Hefting his packs over his shoulder he pressed a hand to the cherry wood door and pushed it open.

Stepping inside he was met with the warm, inviting interior of the Alements. Everything sang of a design fashioned to whisper pleasantly to its patrons. Warm browns, golden yellows, vibrant reds and earth greens blended beautifully to create a very comfortable atmosphere. His boots came down upon the stone floor with soft echoes that were soon muffled by the padding of the carpet. Looking around the den of the tavern Aoren saw not a soul. He shrugged a shoulder adjusting the weight of his luggage feeling the cloth rub against the bare skin. Isikai began sniffing around at the floor curiously.

Hello?

Perhaps he’d come too early? What if the door had been left open by mistake and really they were closed. The sun was still not that high in the sky.

Is anyone there?

Nothing. The only sounds Aoren could hear were those belonging to the awakening city outside. Looking down at his canine companion the Drykas shrugged. He would have much rather just sunk down into one of the chairs in the den but he didn’t think it wise to take up a seat in a business that might not even be open. That was probably why the place was devoid of any customers or any attending staff. He waited just a moment longer but when still no one came he sighed. Jerking his head back toward the door he motioned for the dog to follow suit. Isikai ceased his sniffing to follow the Drykas.

Maybe that Kulku…Kulkan…that other place is open.” Mildly disappointed Aoren prepared himself to make another walk toward yet another unfamiliar destination. Yet another delay preventing him from doing the one thing he really wanted at that point in time, to simply relax and unwind after one very long journey.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Caelum on September 7th, 2014, 5:25 pm

The infirmary ought to have been peaceful in the early morning light. It was washed in pale sunshine that glowed through the window of bubbled stone so thin and strong that it resembled glass. It was mage crafted just as were the windows within the tavern, though those were tall and vibrantly colored in artistic patterns. All six of the infirmary beds were neatly made up in clean white linens and pale green and dove grey patterned blankets. The grey stone walls in here held thin starbursts the color of pewter and silver and all of the glass and stone containers glittered with an almost awe inspiring variety of medicines, herbs, tonics, solutions, bandages, swabs, needles, splints, and near anything a physician might yearn for. Neatly stacked kits for surgery, sutures, philters, and even painting (for inexplicable reasons) were present and the only thing out of order was Caelum's desk.

Instead of being painstakingly neat and organized as the rest his world seemed to be, Caelum's desk was a disaster of half spilled stacks of paper, scattered ink tins, a few sea shells, half a ham sandwich, and a tall, fluted decanter filled to the halfway mark with a murky, blood colored solution.

Caelum perched on the edge of the desk, the heel of his riding boot propped against the seat of a tall backed wooden chair he had dragged in from the tavern proper. He had a tiny paintbrush in his hand and bright cerulean colored paint was being drawn slowly onto a glass beaker. The rune being painted consisted first of bisecting bars and then expanded with an outward growing spiral that ultimately encompassed the cross. Sticking his tongue into his cheek, he tapped excess paint off the detail brush and completed the glyph with a delicate squiggle at the spiral's end. It looked a little bit to him like a rakaniva.

The far more elegant and detailed depiction of Rak'keli's winged snakes on his right hand flared with sudden warmth, pumping awareness through the ethaefal and yet also working to startle him. The glass beaker slipped, and he foolishly attempted to catch it with a quick grab. Glass cracked and crumbled to pieces, glittering brightly to the infirmary floor. A splash of blood followed and he swore.

Loudly.

Dropping his other foot to the floor, boots creaked and he rose to his feet. The paintbrush spilled forgotten to the edge of the desk and he snatched at a handful of muslin bandaging handily stocked in a recessed shelf above one of the beds. He hastily wrapped this about his cut hand and ducked into his tavern, golden eyes narrow with a mixture of curiosity and annoyance. Spying the back of a patron, he raised his voice to speak.

"Hey. Sorry, I was in the back." He was a little grumbly too, from the sound of things. If not for the sheer glory of Syna's breath over him, one might wonder if he wasn't a morning person. "It's a little early for most of my clients. But maybe you're looking for some medicines for a patient? Come in. Come in. I'll be right with you. I've just got to see to.. this.."

He squinted down at the dog and trailed off to silence. His head tilted a little, forgetting about his hand or the warning of his healing gnosis. He liked dogs.

Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Aoren on September 7th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Warmth like the soothing balm of Syna’s rays on a cold winter day filled Aoren’s consciousness. It was a warmth that had radiated within him before. Perhaps he had been too tired to notice it but awareness of another healer sprung up in his mind. He knew this feeling only because he’d experienced it most recently in the previous season. When he’d met Konti healer in search of her father. Aoren paused in the doorway ceasing his exit. Isikai turned slightly to regard the newcomer. Russet brown eyes stared up at the Ethaefal with animalistic intelligence. Primal but aware. The dog’s ears perked up as he titled his head to the side regarding man curiously. Aoren turned first to look down at his animal companion then following Isikai’s gaze to rest on…

Caelum?” Aoren blinked. His tired eyes went slightly wide. It had been years. It had been many years indeed but the physician’s face was not one that he would ever forget. How could he? Aoren had shared in the man’s past. It was because of the kindness showed to him at the hands of the doctor that Aoren was inspired to pursue giving care to others. Cobalt blue eyes searched the planes of Caelum’s otherworldly face. His horns were the crimson reds and soft golds of the fall season. His hair a deep auburn but his face was the same. If a bit more troubled.

A weight seemed to flow out of Aoren. Like the drawing of and release of a heavy breath that he did not take. He simply felt…well…Aoren didn’t know how he felt right then and there. He was shocked to see a familiar face. He was happy to be given the chance to see the man he’d helped reconnect with his past. He hadn’t been expecting to find Caelum in Riverfall. All of that aside, Aoren’s attention zeroed in on one thing. The muslin wraps around the hand he cradled toward his chest.

You’re hurt.” The gentle nudge of his gnosis mark called to him.

Mend. Soothe. Heal.

Laying a hand upon his canine companion’s head he threaded his fingers through the dog’s long fur. Returning to the interior of the Alements tavern Aoren dropped his bags onto the floor and strode forward. The young man that made his way over to Caelum was far cry from the shy boy that the Ethaefal had encountered that winter in Syliras some years ago. Aoren walked with a head held high a note of regality in his bearing. It was not pompous nor stained with a chord of arrogance. His was the easy stride of someone who knew what they were capable of and while they made no secret of it, they did not flaunt it. Eyes weighted with experiences beyond what a man of only twenty-six should have assessed the auburn haired Ethaefal. Most notably, those eyes assessed Caelum from a full two inches above the physician’s head.

Aoren was taller. His body was stronger. And from the look in his eyes along with the opalescent mark of Rak’keli that shone beautifully upon the right side of his face, his mind was certainly sharper. The only blemish one could say was the weariness of travel that obviously clung to him. His sandy blonde hair was thick reaching down to his shoulders. His jaw was decorated with stubble and there were circles of tiredness about his eyes.

Not much bothering to ask for permission Aoren reached out taking Caelum’s hand. The moment he touched the injured extremity, Aoren gave himself to the whims of his goddess. Peace. Blissful and resolute flooded through him passing from his hand into Caelum’s. The soothing light of Rak’keli flowed from Aoren over the shallow cuts on Caelum’s hand like water washing away the dirt of an unclean wound. Within ticks they were closed. The blood upon the muslin bandages being the only testament to say the wound was ever there. When the healing was complete Aoren brought his gaze to meet Caelum’s. He did not release Caelum’s hand though his grasp was gentle.

You haven’t aged a day.” Aoren didn’t know what else to say. The soft panting of Isikai became something Aoren was aware of in the back of his mind. At that moment though his attention was focused on the man in front of him. Even as Isikai padded up right next to Aoren brushing up against his leg before taking up a sitting position, Aoren still had no words. He felt like he should say something. He felt like he should do something. But what? What did you say to a man you hadn’t seen in years? What did you say to a man whom you knew so much and yet so little about?

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Caelum on September 7th, 2014, 6:54 pm

"I don't age." Caelum studied the face of the man in front of him intently. The words he spoke were as exotically accented and cumbersome on his tongue as they had been seven years ago. "The ethaefal are immortal."

It was an uncharacteristic admission from this beloved of Syna, to speak in any detail of his race and origins; but Aoren's arrival had clearly caught him off guard. He continued to study him, eyes lingering on the beautifully familiar mark from Rak'keli before lowering to take in the rest of him and, yes, the well behaved dog at their feet as well.

Dozens of thoughts flickered through him and collected in the steel trap of his mind like a deck of cards. He shuffled through them with his hand still in Aoren's and healing grace spilling through his body like the thrill of coming home to find your lover's clothes on the floor. The first of these slow-ordering fact was that Aoren Skycrown had grown up. The sheer fact of it stirred a smile his mouth because he remembered a shy yet insightful young man on the other side of what felt like a forever. Caelum had been in and out of shadow since that winter in the walled city of Syliras, and much like the man before him now had managed to pack lifetimes into years.

Some of it had been for the good, but too much of it had cut into him, all of his losses tempting to Dira to break her claws on what he kept.

Without warning, he smiled. It was unspeakably charming. His freshly healed hand gripped Aoren's tighter and he bent his elbow, pulling the taller man into him while his free arm rose to cinch about broad shoulders. Despite or perhaps because the rising susurrus of Nikali's divine chains binding through his soul, he embraced Aoren.

"You're a healer," he said, and something utterly delighted colored otherwise gruff words. "You can fix your own ribs now."

This amused him even as ranuri informed him of Aoren's great need to be comforted and fed. Caelum smelled of blood and green things, daylight and sweet golden wine. His nose wrinkled, but the expression swiftly smoothed over as he released Aoren and stepped back.

"C'mon, let's find you something to eat. What's your dog's name? Hey there." That last part was for the dog as he beckoned Aoren to follow him as he swung toward the kitchen door. It was situated at the far end of the bar. Earlier irritation dissipated to be replaced by curiosity and cheer. "We can find you something to eat too. Aoren, did you just get to Riverfall? What brings you all the way here?"

Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Aoren on September 7th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Caelum’s admission made sense. The Ethaefal did not age. It was not something that Aoren lingered on. In normal circumstances his mind would have latched onto that fact. He would have questioned it. He would have measured it but at the moment he just didn’t have the mental capacity to really care. It would probably come to the forefront of his thoughts at a later date. His distracted state was only added to when he suddenly found himself in the tight embrace of the auburn haired healer. At first Aoren was a little startled. Despite the readiness with which he tended to the care of others physical displays of affection were rather uncommon for the Drykas. He blinked for a moment as he processed the fact that he’d just been hugged.

By Caelum.

Something he reserved at present almost exclusively for either his dog or his brother. Nevertheless Aoren couldn’t help but feel comfortable with the Ethaefal’s embrace. Slowly at first but with growing acceptance Aoren wrapped his arms around Caelum and returned the hug with fervor. He had to admit, it did feel good just to share in an innocent display of friendly affection. He squeezed Caelum slightly before releasing him an equally happy smile on his face. A soft chuckle escaped his lips at the attention given to his status as a healer. Aoren nodded with a shrug of his shoulders.

The Goddess kissed me, blessing me with her gift last Fall. I have since dedicated my life to her and as always to her sister.” Aoren wasn’t lying. Rak’keli had indeed kissed him on the cheek leaving her gnosis mark in place of where her lips had brushed across his skin. The feeling had been unlike anything Aoren could describe. He gave Caelum a friendly nudge on his shoulder.

And miss the chance to reminisce on old times? No. I think I’ll leave my rib tending to your expert care.” He indulged in the jest giving Caelum a bright smile and a wink. At the mention of food, Aoren could have sighed in relief.

Food sounds wonderful. I could kill for something other than dried rations covered in sea salt. I’ve had enough of that to last me for two lifetimes. No thank you.” Aoren walked over to his belonging picking them up off the floor he swung the bags over his shoulders then followed Caelum further into the tavern.

Isikai.” The dog perked up following behind Aoren. “That is his name. He has been my friend and companion for several seasons now. It is Ancient Tongue meaning “faith, to believe, to trust in”. He rather suits the name or maybe the name suits him.

Regardless Isikai was oblivious to the conversation taking place revolving around him. Either that or the dog was just ignoring it. Aoren sometimes wondered just how smart the dog was. There were moments when he could be downright silly but for the most part he was a well-mannered companion.

I did. I arrived this morning on a ship called Suvan’s Grace. We set out from Zeltiva. Another thing I can do without. Bless the Sea King. Bless all that he gives to the world but I have garnered a healthy enough respect for his realm to not travel it with any regularity.” Aoren had no issue with life by the sea. None. A life on the sea however? That would never be for him. When they reached the kitchen Aoren found a corner that was reasonably enough out of the way that he could set his bags down. He rolled his shoulders then rubbed at the back of his neck prodding at sore muscles. Then came Caelum’s question. Why was he in Riverfall? Aoren was silent for a few moments.

I was called here in a manner of speaking. I heard about the city during my studies at the University of Zeltiva. I even encountered an Akalak while I was there. As well as a Konti healer who had just come from Riverfall. You could say I was being nudged in its direction. So I answered that call. Now? I’m not quite sure what to do with myself to be honest. I’m still trying to figure that out.” Isikai brushed past Aoren with a nudge to his leg before padding up to Caelum. The dog sniffed at Caelum’s boots for a moment before looking up at him curiously.

"How are you? How did you end up in Riverfall? If I recall you used to live in Zeltiva." Folding his arms over his chest Aoren regarded Caelum with a curious quirk of his head.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Caelum on September 7th, 2014, 8:28 pm

A chair was pulled out at the high table in the center of the spacious kitchen. The table was heavy, lovingly weathered wood and pretty obviously used as a kitchen island at least as much as it was used as an actual table to sit at. There were a few peg legged stools tucked under it, but there were also two deep, cushioned armchairs in incredibly soft leather the color of strong brewed tea. Caelum gestured for Aoren to take a seat in the armchair he had pulled out and then moved to the stove. The bloody bandage was tossed into the fire to be destroyed and he washed his hands thoroughly at the sink. A large, copper bottomed soup pot was simmering on the irons and he lifted the lid to ladle out a bowl. Golden broth, thick, doughy noodles, chunks of bright seasonal vegetables and fresh chicken was the day's fare. Returning to the table, he placed the soup bowl, a spoon, and a napkin in front of his guest.

Then he hesitated, frowning a little with dissatisfaction. Eventually he turned and drew a loaf of hearty brown bread out from under a clean kitchen towel to cut off a thick slice, lather it in butter, and then add that to the array in front of Aoren.

"You need a tonic," he added, muttering to himself, but instead of going right back to serving, he was distracted by Isikai's approach.

A happy smile appeared and Caelum dropped into a crouch to offer the dog his hands for a good sniff. It was pretty obvious that he was hoping Isikai would let him pet him. "Hey there. I'm Caelum," he murmured. "I have some leftover beef from the curry yesterday. Don't worry. I didn't make it. Elise did. So it's good."

Uncharacteristically talkative, Caelum looked back up at Aoren with that easy smile. "Rak'keli kissed you? Damn. I'm jealous." The confession would have been shocking to anyone who had spent any real time with the ethaefal prior to this autumn. "It's a gorgeous mark. It suits you, Aoren."

He paused, considering.

"I know what it's like to be called to a place. There are a great many reasons why you might have been called here, I think. Perhaps... Well. Perhaps I can help you figure that out." As purpose was something Aoren needed to find, and it hummed through Caelum. This time when the ethaefal kept talking, a secret spilling out, vibrant and light as moth wings struggling toward flame. "Nysel called me here. That's how I ended up in Riverfall. I was in Zeltiva, yes, but..." Shadows winged over his face like clouds scudding over the sun, dappling the daylight over the land. "But things happened against my will, against what I would have predicted. It's been a long road since, but I'm here now. I came at the end of summer 513 and have remained since."

Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Aoren on September 7th, 2014, 9:46 pm

A soft groan escaped Aoren’s lips as he sank down into the chair. He leaned back letting the cushioned seat absorb all of the ache that was welled up inside his body. He sighed rubbing his face, scratching at his growing beard. The smell of the food reached his nostrils and his mouth was watering. Food. Real food.

Thank you.” His words were heavy with gratitude as he brought the bowl closer. Dipping the spoon into the soup he took his first bite. Aoren was in bliss. Pure, unbridled, delicious bliss. He moaned in appreciation of the flavor. Never had he realized just what he was taking for granted after a season of surviving on purely rations. He immediately began downing more of the soup to fill his hungry belly. So lost in his consumption of the delectable concoction that he almost forgot to express his appreciation. Almost. Sitting up he picked up the napkin wiping at his lips with an embarrassed smile.

Uh, thank you. Really. It’s delicious.” Picking up the bread he dipped it in the soup to let it absorb the flavor. Bread. Actual bread that was somewhat freshly baked. It wasn’t stale or hard like tack. It was soft, warm, and complimented the soup wonderfully. The happiness that Aoren felt at simply enjoying a meal was no doubt amusing. He couldn’t help it though.

While Aoren ate his fill Isikai sniffed at Caelum’s hand. The dog leaned in brushing the tip of his nose against the healer’s palm before pulling back with a huff and a shake of his head. It was almost a sneeze. The small antic made Aoren laugh into his next mouthful of soup. Isikai leaned in again sniffing at Caelum’s palm.

Safe.Aoren spoke in Pavi. He only knew enough to carry out broken sentences or small words but the dog responded to the language. The Drykas nodded to Caelum encouragingly. Seemingly content Isikai leaned in rubbing his muzzles against Caelum’s forearm before stepping closer practically demanding to be pet.

Well I think there’s no question about whether or not he likes you.” A smirk touched Aoren’s lips as he finished off his bread and his bowl of soup. Listening to Caelum’s explanation Aoren leaned back in his chair.

Nysel? The Dreamlord?” Aoren was not intimately familiar with the Lord of Dreams and Nightmares but he knew enough to recognize his name. When Caelum spoke it he noticed the dark cloud that passed over his mood. It made Aoren wonder just what that call had entailed especially if it involved doing things against Caelum’s will. He listened to what Caelum said, more importantly he pointed out what Caelum didn’t say.

A road you still walk.” That much might not have been obvious but that one detail didn’t escape Aoren’s notice. The way Caelum spoke implied he was still facing hardships. For some reason that didn’t sit well with Aoren. It didn’t sit well with him at all. Sitting up Aoren pulled himself up from the chair with a groan. He stretched his arms up over his head before dropping them swinging them back and forth to test how limber he was.

Well, maybe we can walk that road together if you like? If you can help me get situated here in Riverfall I will be indebted to you far more than I already am. Help me figure out why this city calls to me so strongly, help me…” Aoren took a deep breath reaching up to rub at the back of his head. “…help me to find me and I will owe to you anything you ask that is within my power to give.

Note :
This kind of text means Aoren is speaking in Pavi.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Caelum on September 7th, 2014, 10:15 pm

The familiar flow of Pavi made Caelum's smile a hint more private as Isikai nuzzled him. Once the dog appeared to accept him as a friend, Caelum gave in to the urge to pet him and smoothed his hands over furry cheeks and down his neck. Their noses brushed and that smile deepened a few more notches, settling comfortably into a sun-blessed face. Strong fingers dug gently into the dog's fur to deliver a really exceptionally good scratch and he contented himself this way while Aoren ate. A dog's needs were simple things, easy to read and to meet, and it satisfied something affection-hungry inside of the ethaefal to cuddle with Isikai. One would imagine that a man like Caelum received plenty of touches and affection, and while that was not necessarily untrue, too many of them were not born originally of his own desires. This was, and as such it soothed.

"The Dreamlord, yes," Caelum murmured. He pressed a kiss to the top of the dog's fuzzy head and rose to fill a bowl with some of the leftover beef scraps and gravy sodden grains that he knew would be both delicious and nutritious to the animal. He set the bowl down on the floor near Aoren and added a bowl of water. "He and I have known each other for a very, very long time."

A touch of mystery gleamed over Caelum now as he looked at Aoren. The gnosis mark of the Dreamer was hidden in the fall of his hair, only visible to the intimate touch of someone pulling their fingers back through his hair and then it would glimmer and shine. For now it was like with his mark from Nikali -- kept secret, and therefore helped to keep him safe.

As Caelum continued, he put together a quick concoction that included tea from the kettle steeping on the stove. Honey and a few herbs, one powdered and the other a dark green crumble, were stirred in with a silver spoon. Turning back to his guest, he offered Aoren the teacup as he rose.

"Drink this," he encouraged. "It'll help with your aches and energy. Do you want to head up a tier to the Moonstone Baths?" Humor crept into his expression. "I always want a good scrub after a long journey. But if you're still hungry, there's plenty more soup. Elise is going to show up shortly and she's more than capable of taking care of things here while I go with you."

He leaned back against the counter, arms crossing loosely over his chest. He wore a long sleeved, cream colored tunic. It was fine quality but a simple cut. It wasn't quite warm enough for the late fall weather, but he could fetch his jacket from the infirmary before they headed out. His expression sobered as he watched Aoren.

Very quietly, but firmly, he said, "You don't owe me anything, Aoren. I give you my help freely." And that, interestingly enough, was not at all the usual way of things with him.

Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Aoren on September 7th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Aoren accepted the cup of tea bowing his head gratefully. He pondered Caelum’s words. How long was a very long time? If Ethaefal were immortal that could mean longer than Aoren had any real grasp of. Time for him was the passing of days into seasons into years. To an immortal? A century could be little more than a blink of an eye. It was then that the full force of just what Caelum’s immortality, his origins as an Ethaefal hit Aoren. It hit him a lot sooner than expected. Much sooner.

Oh.” What else could he say? Nothing. He possessed no way of bringing into perspective that kind of bond. Taking a sip from the tea he blinked. Like the soup it was quite pleasing to the tongue. He measured his sips so as not to burn his mouth. At the mention of a bath Aoren perked up.

Bath?” He took a sip from the tea a bit too quickly coughing as some liquid went down the wrong tube. With a few short coughs he pat his chest. “There are baths? I would love a bath. Isikai too.

The dog was completely absorbed in devouring the succulent steak bits in the bowl left for him by Caelum. He was gobbling up the food quite happily his tail wagging with excitement. Seeing his dog happy made Aoren smile. There had been many a day when Aoren had to comfort the canine because his instincts told him to run, to move, to roam about when the confines of the ship didn’t allow it. He pat his stomach in appreciation of the meal.

No. I think I am good for now. If anything I just want to wash away the travel. It wasn’t a horrible journey. It was just long.” Finishing his tea Aoren was already beginning to feel the effects. His throat was warm. His chest didn’t feel as constricted. His shoulders weren’t as heavy. Slowly he wasn’t feeling as foggy in the head either. At Caelum’s refusal of Aoren’s indebtedness the Drykas man bowed his head.

Be that as it may, I want to give you something.” It was a matter of principle. Aoren couldn’t let the matter go unpaid. He would find a way to equal what he felt was a worthy recompense for the kindness Caelum continued to show him. More than that, he genuinely wanted to bestow upon Caelum a gift simply because he wanted to. A rarity for the Drykas. The morning though was full of rarity’s for Aoren as he was discovering.

I just need to grab a change of clothes. And figure out where my brother and I are going to be staying.” Aoren rattled off just a few of the thoughts that were crossing his mind right then and there. While a small list, it contained large items. He had literally just uprooted himself and traveled halfway across the world to settle in a city that he knew practically nothing about. Because it felt right. He sighed. Despite his reservations Aoren still felt no regrets in leaving Zeltiva. The City of Sails had taught him much but he would not exactly miss it.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] An Open Door

Postby Caelum on September 7th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Caelum was quiet for a little while, listening to Aoren and watching Isikai and his wagging tail. It was a comforting scene, to see a happy dog, something simple but immeasurably satisfying about it. Eventually, he said, "You can give me a few strands of your hair, or a whole lock. I can use it with the power granted me by the Dreamlord to further my research."

Amber eyes were frank and open on Aoren as he said this, unraveling more secrets for this man who he had not seen in over seven years. Those seven years felt like seven lifetimes. He had loved and lost, lived and died, watched a world end and been bent and beckoned by a number of gods. Yet despite all of this and the lurking power of their enemies, he dared speak the name of Nysel and it sounded a little bit like love in his mouth.

"I am a dreamwalker, marked by Nysel as one of his agents. Your hair in my hands is more than just a part of you, but it's a key to the lock of your chavi so that I might locate it in the Chavena and walk it so as to learn you and maybe even your purpose. As you are blessed by Avalis, I suspect you already understand the intricacies of the Chavena. Well." His smile was self deprecating. "As much as any of us can."

He blinked at the revelation regarding Aoren's brother, and straightened from his graceful slouch. "Your brother? I didn't realize you had one. That's good then. Alright.." He trailed off, clearly considering a variety of options before he tilted his head at the door, ember littered hair spilling and light sparking off of it as well as his horns. "You can both stay here, if you like. There's some rooms above-stairs. Or if you'd rather I can show you where there are decent apartments for rent after we go to the baths. Here, grab your clothes and meet me in the tavern. Alright?" He headed for the door to the tavern. "You can leave your bags there for now. They'll be fine."

Caelum retrieved his jacket from where it hung in the infirmary. It was the same split, leather affair that he had been wearing all of those years ago in Syliras on the day they met. It was swung over his shoulders and he left it hanging open, hands digging through the pockets. He snatched a purse from a locked drawer in his desk and then ducked back out into the tavern to meet Aoren.

He swung right into step with Aoren as they walked out of Alements double doors and into the pallid light of an autumn morning.

"I had a thought. My friend Kavala runs an animal healing clinic and horse breeding farm just outside the city. It's called the Sanctuary. She had a lot of room there too for boarders and employees. It'd be a good place for you to consider interviewing for a job if you're on the look out for one of those too. In the meantime.." He slanted a sideways look at him. "You can still stay here."

Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next