[CONTEST!] Create a Black Rock Holiday!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the development forum for Black Rock. Come inside to develop, play, and discuss ways to improve and expand our wonderful city!

Postby Traverse on September 9th, 2014, 1:36 am

Create a Black Rock Holiday!

Just like the name suggests this a contest where the name of the game is holidays! Black Rock has the unique position of representing quite a few races that each have their own little pieces of culture and heritage they have brought to the island. My Black Rock Write up puts a paltry amount of celebrations in there, but we need more!

Submissions can be island wide celebrations, race specific, or perhaps even multi-race specific. The sky is the limit and I'm excited to see what you guys come up with!

The only requirements for your submission is that your holiday have a title, and a short description illustrating what goes on there. If necessary list who the holiday is specific to.

I'm going to tentatively put the Holiday cap at 10, that's not set in stone so if you guys come up with fabulous ideas too awesome to fathom this could be subject to change, but we don't want...too many holidays do we? Is there even such a thing?!

Prizes:

• 1 Small IC prize for participating
  • 1 Medium prize for your holiday being selected
  • 1 Small IC prize for being a cheerleader to other participants

Once the prizes are revealed at the end of the contest you can choose how you'd like to receive them. For instance, there will be 1 large prize, multiple small prizes to choose from, and a couple mediums as well, if you meet all three criteria you could have 1 large prize, 2 mediums, or even 4 small prizes, depending on what suits your fancy!

This contest will end on September 31st, giving you plenty of time to come up with ideas.

With that out of the way, have fun holidaying away!c
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Xen on September 10th, 2014, 6:32 pm

“ Black Rock Holiday's ”

These are my submissions. I've looked over them a few times
for errors and such, but if you see anything wrong, send me a message.

Day of Spirits:
A holiday aimed towards the deceased and lingering—the ethereal and bound souls known as ghost. This holiday begins on the first day of Spring, and ends on the second. Day of spirits celebrates the presences of ghosts and their place, as souls, within the cycle. Soulmist is offered to ghosts partaking in the event as a show of appreciation to their perseverance that lasts even in death. Delicacies known to Black Rock are offered to the living as well to thank them for their appreciation and love for the dead.

Paean to the Eiyon:
The living and dead may bring gifts of appreciation to the Eiyon on this day. This holiday is dedicated the observant guardians of Black Rock for their undying love and devotion to the cycle. In the form of music, and dance the living and dead show their thanks to the Eiyon, who are more than welcome to partake. Food is offered during this event, of course. This holiday begins on the fifty-first of every season, and ends on the fifty-second.

Dira’s Eve:
A holiday dedicated to the Goddess of Death. It begins on the last day of every winter season and ends once night falls on the same day. Rather than dance, sing, and feast—those participating may write a poem to Dira; one displaying affection, and deep understanding to death. It is said that Death awards an individual, whose poem she chooses. Yet no one knows when she appears, or what she awards.”
Last edited by Xen on October 1st, 2014, 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Maro on September 13th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Here's a holiday I would like to see. Any suggestions on improvements that can be made to it are quite welcome, and any corrections that need to be made so that it fits with the lore of Mizahar are, of course, appreciated.

The Arriving Night: The First New Moon of Winter

During the first new moon of Winter, it is rumored that the blue flame atop the Tower of the Dead in Black Rock burns brighter than usual to the souls that are no longer living. This supernatural light seems to call to the spirits of the dead, and without the natural light of the moon, the Watchtower's light is even better appreciated by both the living and the dead. Every year, this occasion marks the arrival of the most new ghosts to Black Rock, giving some credit to the rumors.

That being the case, this holiday is most widely recognized by spiritists, Cicerones, and ghosts, though many others join in as well. The most fervent followers of the holiday spend the day time in silence in preparation for the darkness. Other observers will only whisper for the extent of the day while others do not see the day preceding the Arriving Night to have any significance at all.

As Syna’s work for the day draws to a close, those who are observing the holiday gather at the base of the Tower of the Dead. The holiday is not a celebration. Rather, it is a time of meditation and prayer for the lost souls in the world. Some will write letters with prayers for those souls, some will pray in whispers for them, and others will maintain their silence. Due to the dangerous nature of the Watchtowers, the usual guard of two Omens is increased to two dozen to ensure the safety of all who come to the Tower of the Dead to await the arrival of the spirits.

Throughout the night, a vigil is kept, and there is always at least one person waiting at the base of the Tower to greet any spirit that arrives. Usually though, there are many people and spirits waiting at any given time throughout the night. For the truest observers of the holiday, the vigil is kept by an individual all night long, and sleep is forsaken until the following night. Others will take shifts, and friends and family will ensure that someone in their circle is there to greet any newcomers. Dira herself will come hold the vigil on occasion, and when She does, She is there before any other and stays long after everyone has left.

When souls finally do arrive, they are greeted warmly. Ghosts will often take new ghosts under their wings and teach them the finer aspects of being an incorporeal being while spiritists gift the newcomers with vials of Soulmist. As the first souls begin to arrive, the silence is broken, and the night becomes livelier. The conversations are still usually held in whispers but are excited and friendly. If ever a malevolent spirit comes, it usually leaves of its own accord, realizing that the ghosts, the spiritists, and the Cicerones have little patience for evil, especially on this night of all nights. However, if a soul is heartbroken or scared, the gathering at the Watchtower becomes a beacon of hope, and many find a home and the beginning of their answers on this night.

On the years where the new moon lands on the final night of autumn, the Arriving Night is celebrated then. The red flame seems to burn brighter, and at the changing of the season, it is rumored that there is a flash of purple light that extends around the world, affecting even the great northern auroras, though this lasts for only an instant. When the Arriving Night falls on the turning of the season, there is a much higher immigration of ghosts than on other Arriving Nights.

Here are a few ideas for holidays that I think would also be appropriate to be celebrated in Black Rock:

Kihala Day

As any true worshiper of death knows, death would impossible without first being alive. To this end, a holiday was created to celebrate Kihala and the part she plays in the balance of the cycle of life and death.

The Day of Balance: Each Equinox

Celebrated twice a year on each equinox, this is a holiday to remember the balance of all things. Most use it as another opportunity to celebrate the balance between life and death, but its true purpose is to celebrate the Goddess of the Sun and the God of the Moon on the two times each year where day and night exist in perfect equality. For the entire extent of the day and night, all twenty-four bells, the observers of this holiday remain awake to observe the extent of this balance.
Last edited by Maro on September 15th, 2014, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maro
Player

Words: 179660
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Maro on September 13th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Xen,

I'm digging the set up of the Day of Spirits. I like the fact that it has recognized that lingering after life is as much a part of the cycle as living and dying both are. I think we should definitely develop this more. :)

The only suggestion I have is to maybe pick another date. The Valterrian seems to be celebrated/mourned on the 1st of Spring all across Mizahar, and I think having a holiday on that day would make one overshadow the other.

Good luck.
Maro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Traverse on September 17th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Thanks so much for these submissions guys they look great!

I really like the idea of the poem writing, and all of the lively celebrations that really reflect the relatively carefree nature of the ghosts and people that live here despite it being an island of death.

Maro I really enjoy your arriving holiday, I was wondering perhaps that flash of purple could be only see on days when this new moon is on a season change? Perhaps a strange sort of reasoning for why there are even more ghosts arriving on the island on that day?

Thanks again guys I can't wait to see what other folks come up with, or if either of you drop any more here :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Maro on September 17th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Yeah, Traverse. The purple flash only happens on the new moon at the exact changing of the season from Fall to Winter, and due to its unique color and strength, it draws more ghosts. I was also thinking, since this holiday is tied to the Watchtower, that maybe Priskil might make appearances every few years or so. She is the Goddess of Hope, so it might even be that she has taken this one day of every year to lend hope to spirits of the dead. Just some ideas that have been bouncing around.
Maro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Maro on October 1st, 2014, 4:31 am

I retract my earlier comment on moving the Day of Spirits. After thinking about it, I realize now that it seems perfect. With Rockers as unphased by death as they are, they may not view the Valterrian as such a terrible thing. Granted, they don't celebrate the useless wasting of life, but lives do end, and that is just the way of things, the cycle. I think Rockers may just view the Valterrian as the New Year and a chance for new beginnings. It might be the perfect time to celebrate the dead.
Maro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Traverse on October 1st, 2014, 8:18 pm

The Holiday Contest is now closed!!! Thanks for all who submitted I'll have the prizes up and what everyone earned in the next few days :D
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Shurezza Lotus on October 3rd, 2014, 12:44 pm

Oh, shyke, I knew I was forgetting something. >.<
This isn't my main so expect my to suffer my flickering muse between what few threads I take.

All images of the model ("IA") displayed through this account (Shurezza Lotus) are protected by Fair Use (Sec. 107 of the Copyright Act), granted under official public documentation of the original copyright holder.
©2012-2015 1st PLACE, Inc. Used with permission.
A translation of the linked document can be found here.
Shurezza Lotus
Kalinor's Sapphire

Words: 8581
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2014, 3:10 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on October 9th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Alright guys the holidays each and every one of them have been added to the wiki, I also edited a few of my holidays and added a new one...I think haha.

Xen I did change the date of Dira's Eve because you had one holiday on the last day of winter and another on the first day of spring which along with the anniversary of the valterrian makes for a very crazy set of days, the only other edit I think I made was making one holiday only have a once a year thing as opposed to a seasonal thing, I hope that is alright.

So the points are in and this means that Xen has recieved one small and one medium prize for participating and having his holidays chosen, and Maro gets 2 small prizes and one medium one for cheerleading, participating, and getting your holidays chosen!

What this means is that Xen you can select either 3 small prizes (you can pick multiple of the same prize) or one medium and one small prize from the list below. Maro you can select 4 small prizes, 2 medium prizes, 2 medium and two small prizes, or 1 large prize from the prizes below which are as follows:

Small:

• 15 Ashls (or 5 bikka)
  • 5 bars of lavender scented bar soap
  • A pair of fine black leather gloves lined with white fur
  • 7 lbs of smoked venison

Medium:

Large:

• Dira's bell: A silver small bell with patterned etchings in its surface, this bell will momentarily calm ghosts enablign the bearer to try to communicate with them (the effectiveness of this tool depends on the skill level of the individual using it, and will not work on truly enraged ghosts).

Let me know what rewards you picked in this thread and you can feel free to add them to your CS, just make sure you provide a link back here so folks know where you got them from :). Thanks again for participating and I'll try to have more contests up soon!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next