Closed Snippits of Insight (Drusilla)

With a plan in mind, Khara heads to The Craft Gallery and meets Drusilla

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Snippits of Insight (Drusilla)

Postby Khara on September 9th, 2014, 4:23 am

23rd of Fall, 514
Ever since the idea had first occurred to her, Khara hadn't been able to fully stop thinking about it. It seemed such a simple thing that would be completely helpful: When scouting out game for the hunters, leave behind something that only she understood the significance of that could later be followed back and deciphered when bringing a hunter back into the area. Even if her initial trip included a hunter, there were still signals she could leave herself behind that would be helpful; potential predators, directions to game trails, the possibilities seemed endless!

Try and hard as she could, the scout couldn't come up with anything to prove her idea bad. It would have to be tried, tested, no doubt modified, and only then would she find out if it was actually plausible. Oh yes, Khara had a plan, but what she lacked was the materials.

Many things had been considered, colored rocks, beads tied to strings that would then be tied to branches, even a dab of paint on tree trunks... but they all seemed too temporary, too delicate and at the mercy of nature's sometimes meddlesome ways. She needed something more sturdy, something that wouldn't just wash away or be stolen by greedy corvid in the area, something affordable.

When the idea had first come to her, she'd considered using strips of fabric of various color, knotted and tied into trees and bushes. It had sounded completely stupid then, but as she had eliminated other ideas the original option came back time and time again until it refused to be ignored. The Chiet didn't nearly own enough clothing to consider sacrificing some older things, which left only one option: Go to The Craft Gallery and see what she could either beg or buy off of the Avora that worked there, or better yet their Chiet assistants.

The Crafts Gallery felt wrong to her as she entered. It clearly wasn't a place meant for her, that was something she had learned rather quickly as a Yasi as her hands had refused to do anything more delicate than some rudimentary fletching. There was a certain envy to the craftsmen that earned their keep there but at the same time the scout knew she could never give up her daily ventures into the outside, the wilds of the mountains called to her far too much.

Khara passed where the weavers and the leather workers were, heading towards the area where the seamstresses and tailors created clothing both basic and extravagant. It was here that the Chiet's nerves finally caught up with her. She had no idea how to ask for what she wanted, let alone know how much it might cost her.

The feeling began to run away with her until she felt the urge to suddenly dart back the way she came, completely throwing away the idea until she could come up with something better or maybe have someone else get the fabric for her, but it was no good. Whatever worries the girl had suddenly began to be replaced by new ones as she found a lone individual standing in the room she had unwittingly entered.

Khara had heard about the female Symenestra that called Wind Reach home, but it had been colored by ugly rumor and terrifying stories of gruesome Harvests that Khara could only begin to guess the truth of. One thing was for certain, there were times when the female game scouts were warned to be on the look out for the pale race and the warnings had always been taken with utmost seriousness. The only problem was that these stories warred entirely with newer information she'd obtained from a very reliable source. From the mouth of her most trusted friend had come nothing but words of praise for the Symnestra that Khara could only guess stood before her.

The pale woman seemed so occupied by her work in front of her that Khara knew she'd have to make her presence known and once more she found herself fighting the instinct to flee. Instead, somehow, she pulled up enough courage to suck in a deep breath before releasing a far too timid sounding "Hello?"

"Nari" | "Common"
Last edited by Khara on September 11th, 2014, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Drusilla on September 10th, 2014, 2:43 am

The day had been average so far, she was currently mending a pair or pants. The seams were starting to come undone. Her hands worked carefully and swiftly as she began to sew in the new seams. It was calming to just sew, it let her mind wander. A timid voice broke her day dream, "Nh?" She looked around and found a girl watching her, no doubt the source of the timid voice. She looked to be in her late teens, like Azira.

"Enda", the Symenos crept off her tongue with it's normal strangeness. "May I help you with something?" She politely asked the girl. Placing the pants on the table in front of her, she turned to face the girl. "I'm Drusilla, and who might you be?" The girl was pretty in Drusilla's opinion. A cute face with freckles and ginger locks, average to other Inarta. But to the Symenestra who had grown up in a monochrome world she was a beauty.

The Symenestra crossed her legs and folded her hands. This girl's nervousness was a normal reaction to seeing Drusilla for the first time. However she was finding this generation of older teens more accepting of her. She had lived here for half her life, maybe the Inarta had come to see she meant no harm and if anything she wanted to protect them from her kind.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Khara on September 11th, 2014, 5:44 am

"Khara." The answer came out sounding uncertain, more question than statement, which left her feeling all the more exposed than she had before. The lack of confidence was quickly tested as the girl glanced over her shoulders, seeing that indeed she was the only person whom the seamstress could have been addressing.

The Chiet's hands quickly found each other in front of her, fidgeting in an effort to keep the slight motions from echoing in the rest of her body. A few ticks passed before she realized that another question had been asked of her and she forced herself to take a step into the room despite every instinct screaming to do otherwise. "I - I was wondering, if you might be able to help me with a project I'm attempting?"

Her view refused to remain fixed on Drusilla, taking in everything the room had to offer and once more Khara was reminded of the nickname her mother had bestowed upon her that only held fast within her thoughts. Petching sparrow, can't even say your name with a shred of confidence. Why are you expecting help?

She forced her rapid looking about to slow and slowly focus on a spot on the floor between herself and the woman. That was, until she realized she hadn't nearly taken enough of a look to determine what caste the seamstress was. Not daring to look up, just in case it was the more demanding of the two, she settled instead for at least what could be taken for a bit too much mutual respect. "You don't happen to sell cloth just by itself, do you? I don't need anything sewed or anything fancy. At least, I don't think so."

Somewhere she was forced to realize the overall kind tone that the Symenestra had addressed her with and Khara looked up slowly. The knot that was forming in her stomach wasn't going away any time soon but she did manage a small nervous smile. It wouldn't win her any favors with an average Inarta, but the woman before her was anything but average as far as Wind Reach was concerned, so the chance to at least look like she wasn't completely terrified seemed worth taking.

"Nari" | "Common"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on September 12th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Drusilla smiled, "Khara, a very pretty name. Enda is a Symenos term much like how one says 'miss'. I'm sorry if it confused you." The girl looked ready to bolt, much like a frightened deer. "Calm down Chickadee, unlike the rest of my race I'm fairly harmless unless you're an over ripe peach." She was trying to calm the girl down, make things lighthearted. "Just ask one of my brothers not blood kin but something even stronger, Turrin or Zhol. Either will tell you I mean no harm."

"What sort of project are we talking about attempting?" Drusilla rested her chin in her hands and her elbows on her knees, curious about what this girl was planning and why she needed Drusilla in the first place. "We do sell fabric, but I need to know a little more about what it's for, my dear Chickadee. I'd hate to give you the wrong kind of fabric for whatever you're using it for." She noticed the girl had looked up and had attempted a shy and very nervous smile. Drusilla grinned back, "See? I'm not so bad."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Khara on September 13th, 2014, 5:12 am

Not so bad. The thought repeated itself, backed up by familiar names. Turrin, the Endal Khara had met that had made her somehow forget how insignificant she was for a day - He was as a brother to this Symenestra? It seemed fitting somehow. Both their races, or half-races in the Endal's case, had so many dark whispers associated with them, it seemed only natural that somehow the two would have found each other and banded together. But that came second to the other name. Zhol? The somewhat shy human from Cyphrus Zhol? Her Zhol?

Yours!? Her mind practically screamed at her in contempt for even daring to phrase it in such a way. The mental argument continued, pleading her case, trying to say she didn't mean anything by it, but the damage was done and the self loathing crept in far too much for her own liking. Khara tried to swallow it down before speaking, only marginally managing the task.

"Zhol already told me. Well, he didn't say anything about what would happen if I met you, he just..." she paused, trying to recollect her thoughts from where it felt like they had scattered at her feet. "He spoke very well of you. And...and anyone whom Turrin holds in such high regards must be someone special."

She felt overly foolish almost immediately after she had spoken. Like most Inarta, Khara could sometimes be blunt or overly forthright with information, but it always seemed to pop up at the most awkward of moments and always left her feeling worse for having spoken at all.

"I'm sorry, that was far too bold of me to say." The apology was half muttered as she looked back down to her watch her fingertips twist upon each other as her hands wrung each other.

The plan though, the entire reason she was there - Which was certainly not to make a fool out of herself in front of someone cared for by people she respected - was brought sharply back into mind as the seamstress asked about it.

"I-" she began, suddenly lost in the thought of the fact there were different fabrics. The Chiet hadn't even begun to think about the fact she had options. What sort of fabric would best stay tied to a branch, anyway? "I was thinking of using something as markers in the wilds. I track animals, but sometimes the hunters aren't with me when I find them and I need to take them back there and I did it once and it was easy because it was Summer because everything was still easy to see and the tracks were clear, okay so mostly my tracks that I had left there, but I still think it could be easier somehow and faster to see so that I didn't make them impatient having to wait for me to re-find a trail I already found and now it's Fall and if there was a rainstorm I'd be completely petched."

The use of the swear brought a halt to her sudden and fast paced explanation, and the sudden realization that as the words had rapidly left her she had begun pacing, her hands moving in time to her words as if to emphasize the frustration of the situation. She called you chickadee. Fitting seeing as how you make as much noise as one.

Her shoulders slumped as she looked back to Drusilla and forced a small sigh before she spoke again, the former liveliness that had taken hold during her rushed speech completely drained away. "I don't need anything special. Maybe just whatever scraps that wouldn't get used for something. If that sort of thing exists. Even leftovers from what the Dek wear would be fine. If you knew who made them, of course. I wasn't trying to imply you did that sort of thing just because you aren't Inarta."

"Nari" | "Common"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on September 13th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Drusilla watched the girl who seemed to be having an argument with herself. The Symenestra was unsure if she should say something or let the girl fight with herself. "Ah... Um... Are you...okay? Khara?" The girl finally seemed to snap out of her fit and spoke of Zhol. "How is he doing? It's been a bit sense I saw him last. Do you work with Zhol?" This adorable girl... Was she the one? Drusilla began to wager she was, good for them. They'd be cute together.

Drusilla grinned at her comment, "I've always wanted to be special to Turrin. He was my first crush as a girl." She waved Khara closer, "We went out for my birthday last year and kinda ended up in bed together. It was accidental, but..." She gave a nervous laugh. "He was in a relationship with a glassblower.. It killed me, you know?" Drusilla paused, "Zhol... seems to fancy a girl. He wouldn't give me a name. Might you be her?" She looked away from the girl, "If you are the girl... I give you my best wishes. I hope you two are happy." She didn't look Khara in the eyes, she felt she already knew.

"So it's okay if the fabric gets wet? Simple linen might work... Do you want different colors? Maybe to indicate different things on the trails? You mean Azira would kill you? I know the huntress myself, don't be too hard on her. Life's been hard on her. But I didn't tell you that." She winked. "So strips for tying on things would work best, Chickadee. I hope you don't take offense to me calling you that, I tend to bestow nicknames on people and chickadees are such sweet birds. They sing, Fee Bee Bee.. Fee Bee Bee. They are one of my favorites." Drusilla laughed, "You worry about your words too much Chickadee. I'm not easily angered unless you hurt someone. I lack tolerance for bullying and offer my protection to those who are."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Khara on September 13th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Khara tried to reply when asked about how Zhol had been. She'd seen him just a few days before, and he'd seemed happy. But the next few questions completely drove all words from her. Did she work with Zhol? What would make the Symenestra ask that? But no sooner than one question was met with another than Drusilla seemingly filled in the gaps.

Zhol fancied someone? A girl he wouldn't name? Was she that girl? If her heart had been made of glass, surely the seamstress would have heard the sharp crack that she could feel suddenly tear through it. There was no way it was her, Zhol had never expressed any sort of interest in her that way. And that meant...Kami; the Avora that worked in the stables with him. Zhol hadn't mentioned her much to Khara, but she had seen the two of them laughing and talking on occasion when she would stop by after a day of scouting. The Chiet could barely register the words and well wishing that Drusilla offered. Her vision blurred and a hand raised to crush against her eye, forcefully trying to put a halt to the sudden stampede of emotion that thundered through her. You knew better and still you thought it was a possibility. When will you ever learn?

She hoped desperately that the action looked more like one of fatigue than the possibility she was actually letting Drusilla see her upset. The way the seamstress had spoken of her own experience with Turrin, of how it had killed her, Khara had a feeling she would understand what the scout was experiencing all too well, but she couldn't bring herself to try and share - she wanted to bury it so deep within her that the foolish ideas she had held on to could never find a voice again. "He... he's fine. I think he's adjusting to Wind Reach more than he believes."

Khara could not have been more grateful when Drusilla brought the subject back to the fabric. The first question of it was okay if things got wet was answered with a nod. The different colors had been something she had been thinking about too, it was nice to hear someone else voice the same thought. It was also... strange, to have Drusilla bring up Azira. Maybe there was far more to the spiderette than there seemed - she certainly had a way of connecting the dots between people. "It sounds like strips of linen would work great! If it's not too much trouble, different colors would be amazing. I was hoping I could get that, but I didn't know if I could."

The dull ache in her chest refused to fully subside, but talk of her work helped to at least begin to drag her from the edge of an abyss she never cared to enter. If nothing else it was Drusilla's laughter that fully pulled her back for now. "When you put it that way, I don't really mind it at all. You can call me that if want to. I'm afraid I'm not really good with nicknames myself, though. Is there something you'd like to be called?"

"Nari" | "Common"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on September 14th, 2014, 8:34 pm

"That's good to hear. I've been teaching him Nari phrases. He wanted to know how to tell someone he missed them. That's how I figured it out. Him and a girl. Made it sound like it was a caste issue with her, so he was keeping hushed. Chickadee, why do you look so distraught?" Drusilla stopped for a tick. Busy putting two and two together. "Oh... you think it's another girl... and you're fit to be tied. Don't underestimate yourself Chickadee, you're a very pretty girl. Before you beat him to a pulp... Just ask him or better yet, tell him how you feel. See guys in general are kinda oblivious to us, you can be giving the clearest hint and they just don't understand. Turrin included." The Symenestra shook her head and looked at the girl, "You can let it out Chickadee, I won't tell a soul. A good cry cleanses the soul anyways."

"I'm more than certain that we'll have to have some scraps left over from something! I mean how could we not? Over here I think..." Drusilla got to her feet and headed to the area she was pretty sure held scraps left over from other projects. She beckoned the girl over to the drawers. Opening one Drusilla began to rummage through it. Finally pulling a strip of red linen out of the depths of the drawer. "Will this work for your markers Chickadee? Not too short or too long?" The seamstress asked. "Now here are a few red... a yellow..make that two yellows..." Drusilla squinted a a scrap, "Really dark brown.... two greens, different shades mind you. Blue, lots of blue... and a purple." Drusilla smiled at the purple scrap. She turned to Khara, "Sorry I just really like purple! It makes me happy just to see it."

"Dru, you may call me Dru. Turrin gave me that name the day we met." The nostalgia made her laugh, " I was either fourteen or fifteen when we met. This boy was shirtless in the snow. I thought he was out of his petchin' mind. But, there was something about him, you know? Something I just couldn't get over, sometimes I still think I haven't gotten over it. Our ancestors must hate us, the Myrian/Symenestra blood feud goes way back. They're one of the reasons we came to Kalea and built Kalinor... Maybe more my ancestors are angry than his..."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Khara on September 15th, 2014, 12:45 am

As much as Khara wanted to believe Drusilla's assurances and suggestions, she couldn't bring herself to actually say anything in response. Her mind was already set on the image of Zhol and the Avora healer from the stables. It made sense the longer she thought about it, Kami was probably the only other person in Wind Reach who may have respected and cared about the horses as much as Zhol did. It still hurt though and she didn't trust her tongue to do anything but betray her. There was something she could take away from it though. Instead of feeling... however she was feeling, Khara could be happy for her friend. Being overshadowed by another was something she was used to, after all.

"Thank you, Dru," she forced the smile as she looked at the various colorful pieces of fabric that were appearing from the drawer. With undue care the Chiet picked up a red and a yellow piece, holding them near each other. A small flick of her wrist tested now they waved in the small breeze she forced on them, thinking fondly of how it almost could look like fire, maybe. "It's probably better if I don't go crying all over your workspace, though. Don't really need to test the water resistance of these just yet, right?"

The purple strip that Drusilla had seemed fondest of was picked up next and Khara couldn't help but smile as well. The color reminded her of some of the flowers that showed up in The Unforgiving during the spring when Winter finally let go of it's hold on Kalea. She tugged on the ends of the material, not entirely sure what she was hoping to find out by the process but the small snap of the fabric when she did so was somehow satisfying.

"Why would your ancestors hate you, though?" The girl looked back towards the seamstress questioningly. "I-I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about either of those cultures. Well, aside from the scary things my mother told me when I was little and wasn't making her very happy."

A small genuine laugh came at the memory. "She said if I wasn't good that a spider man would come in the night and take me away to a cave and drink my blood or something else entirely ridiculous."

"Nari" | "Common"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on September 15th, 2014, 5:49 am

"Oh Chickadee, Bitta..." Drusilla put her arm around the girl giving her a small hug. "Would you like some white ones too? I'll see what all I can scrounge up once everyone else leaves for they day. I assume you have a room in the commons? Just, if I send them via a dek please don't injure them. Azira's beat up a few in the past..." She sighed, the huntress had hurt many of Drusilla's messengers. So many than Drusilla no longer sent deks to her.

At the mention of the difference of races Drusilla turned to Khara, "Chickadee, let's go for a stroll and I'll explain some things to you okay? Gather up your fabric." She sighed, she dreaded this conversation. It never got easier to tell people about her race. Now outside the Gallery Drusilla felt a little bit better. "Now, Khara I'm not like the others of my kind. I abandoned their thinking a long time ago. The Symenestra are monsters, they weren't always before Kalinor we lived in the trees of Taloba. We were still poisonous but mainly we were harmless. But the Myrians didn't like that we lived so close. They chased the Symenestra out of Taloba, this was pre-Valenterian. We moved from place to place until Kalinor. But Kalinor changed us. Our venom got stronger and as we are born poisoned... This change had a deadly effect. On giving birth the child releases it venom claiming it's mother as it's first kill. That's what happened to my mother, I killed her. Now Symenestra genes cover over other races as long as the father is Symenestra. With that they began what they called The Harvest, taking non-Symenestra women from their homes with sweet words only to take them back and impregnate them in their wife's place. They're called Surrogates and once they birth that baby and die, they are disposed of like trash. I have twin siblings by a surrogate who was Inarta. She's one of the reasons I came here to make sure no other Symenestra were here."

"I vowed to never fall in love with another Symenestra. If I have a child with a human it would be what they call a Dra a half-Symenestra. I'd be able to survive the birth, because Dra are less poisonous than wholes. If you ever see a male Symenestra expecialy if he has a red scarf he is hunting. Shoot to kill him! Your mother was smart to teach you that. I hope you're not afraid of me..."Drusilla's voice saddened. " I hate them just as much as humans do. My step-mother beat me, and I have the scars to prove it. That Inarta woman, she was so kind. I miss her. When they tossed her body to the bottom of Kalinor, my heart broke. She deserved better."

Drusilla looked to the door," We should head back in most will be gone to lunch. Scraping will be easier.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets