[The Red Diamond] Fires and Frozen Days [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[The Red Diamond] Fires and Frozen Days [Open]

Postby Ykala on October 15th, 2010, 1:44 am

Timestamp: Day 23rd of Fall, AV 510

Ykala grunted lightly as she tossed another log into the large stone fireplace. There was a small smile upon her sun-kissed face as she watched the light sheet of ice quickly evaporate in the hungering flames. The log was wet, wouldn't catch anytime soon, but there was plenty of life in the others to go the distance. Ykala clapped her hands together softly to ward away any lingering chips of wood refusing to uncling from her palms as she leisurely walked across the room of the tavern. It was fairly quiet that day, though the tavern was busiest when the sun began to hide itself behind the horizon, and it was only a few hours past noon. Still, business was slower than usual, and the only costumers she had dealt with decided they'd prefer the more private area of the second floor.

Usually the costumers were good at sitting around and talking. Ykala would often times just stay behind the counter and listen to the stories the other Vantha would spin around that large golden fireplace. Ykala frowned lightly as her gaze moved to the fogged and frost covered window. It was fierce outside tonight. Even your average Vantha would have a hard time ignoring such a lack in heat. Morwen could probably go skinny-dipping in that weather, but even her people had their limits.
Last edited by Ykala on December 12th, 2010, 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ykala
Unwanted

Words: 14491
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2010, 2:32 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

[The Crystal Cavern] Fires and Frozen Days [Open]

Postby Viktor on October 15th, 2010, 3:00 am

The door opened with a noticible thud followed by a muffled "Ow!" as Viktor entered the Crystal Cavern. He tried again, ducking this time, one hand still on his forehead where a small lump was likely forming. Regardless he still chuckled at his own clumsiness as he sat down in one of the chairs by the fire. He looked around to find the tavern surprisngly empty except for the bartender that was on duty. "Gah, you'd think I'd remember to duck by now!" He joked, hoping to break the ice, no pun intended. He stared at the fire for a moment, caught in a trance by the flickering shades of oranges and yellows. He leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes, he had had a rough day of training today and the soreness was just starting to kick in. But hopefully some drinks would soften the blow.
Memorable quotes (Or, really just quote at the moment, but more will come!)
"She is not fish. She is a person too!"
Viktor
Looks like a grizzly, acts like a teddy bear

Words: 35444
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2010, 10:25 am
Location: Standing behind you. Don't turn around though because I'm in stealth mode.
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Ykala on October 15th, 2010, 5:04 am

Ykala jumped slightly at the sound of the Crystal Cavern's door opening with such force and promptly pounding against the wall. Instantly a wave of fresh cool air entered the room. Not so cold that a Vantha couldn't stand it, in fact it was enjoyable, but cool enough to combat the fierce fire burning. The Vantha woman giggled lightly as she nodded at Viktor. "Perhaps next time it'll knock some sense into you." Ykala offered her own little dose of humor as she moved to the door and gently closed it behind the man. Finally it was, at least slightly, less crowded in here. At least it wasn't so busy that she had to stay frozen behind the counter all day.

"Can I get you anything or will a fire and seat be enough to keep you satisfied?" Ykala returned to her place behind the bar as she watched Viktor. All she could think about was how exhausted he had seemed, that and of course how tall he was. It wasn't often, or ever really, that you saw such a tall Vantha. "It's not often someone of your size comes through here. It's not often people I don't know come through here either. Have we not met or have I simply forgotten your name and face?"
Ykala
Unwanted

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Viktor on October 15th, 2010, 8:19 am

Viktor allowed himself to laugh a bit at the joke, sinking into the chair a little more. "While the seat and fire are nice, but a mug or two of ale would certainly be appreciated." He said, turning to examine the bartender more closely. "I used to come here quite a bit, but surely I would remember a pretty woman like you!" He teased harmlessly. "But as for my height, I suppose most of the other bears from the watch don't come through very often." He said with a shrug, a little surprised considering that this was the only place he knew that served "adult" drinks in the city. Then again, he didn't get out very often.

"I am sorry if I seem tired, I was training today, and despite what they say, the blunt end of a spear still hurts when you get hit with it nearly..." He had to pause for a moment to recount, "Was it ten times? Then again, I was against one of the senior gaurds". He examined his arms, just noticing the welts forming on the outer parts of his forearms. Note to self, Block with gloves, not with arms! The kelvic thought, chiding himself for trying to take on someone who clearly could best him. "Enough about me though, how long have you been working here?" He asked, curious as to why he didn't recognize the woman behind the counter.
Viktor

Location: Standing behind you. Don't turn around though because I'm in stealth mode.
Character sheet

Postby Ykala on October 16th, 2010, 12:34 am

Ykala nodded as she moved behind the bar, pulling out a large mug from one of the cabinets below. As she moved, her voice carried across the room. "Pretty woman eh?" Ykala smiled as she remained temporarily hidden behind the bar counter. "Bears? You're with the Icewatch then?" Ykala pondered that a moment. She had met several from the Icewatch, this was the typical place for people of all kinds to meet up and tell their stories. She supposed it made sense that a bear kelvic would be taller than the average Vantha. "It's not often at all that your brothers and sisters come through here. I wasn't sure if drink was appetizing to you guys or not."

Ykala moved across the room with foaming mug in hand, stopping at Viktor's side and offering him the drink. "This one's on me. Think of it as a thanks for what you do. I can't imagine doing that myself. I don't even know what all you do really, but I assume it's too much for someone like myself. Rest up now, your training is over. Relax here by the fire a while, it works miracles on the body." After Viktor took the mug, Ykala moved around him and sat down in the adjacent chair, her bright brown eyes staring into the golden crackling flames.

"Oh, o we're to talk about me now?" Ykala smiled as she glanced at the Kelvic, knowing very little of her past, or life in general, would hold any sort of interest. She assumed so anyway. "I've been working here roughly six seasons now I believe. For the most of that time I worked very little really. Recently I've been given more responsibilities of the Cavern, so I'm here more often now. It must have been by uncanny coincidence that we haven't formally met until now. I'm Ykala by the way, just an average Vantha citizen, Winterflame Hold. Nothing as interesting as a Bear from the Icewatch." Another smile made its way on her face as she looked back into the fire. It was hard not to get mesmerized.
Ykala
Unwanted

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Viktor on October 16th, 2010, 1:51 am

"Yes, although I'm not on patrol duty yet," Viktor admitted, "That's normally reserved for bonded pairs". He shrugged at the comment about the lack of kelvic business here, although they were probably too busy working with their partners. "I'll eat whatever I can get my hands on, except vegetables..." He laughed, stretching his arms out over his head with a slight groan.

He happily accepted the drink, taking a large swig as the woman explained her situation, however his ears perked up as she mentioned she was part of the winterflame hold. "I appreciate your hospitality and I could never turn down a free drink, but you said you were from the Winterflame hold?" He asked, a sudden light working it's way into his eyes. "I think that you are the one deserving of praise! All i do is train to keep bad people away, but you," He began, turning to the woman next to him, "You take simple pieces of food and turn them into these, delicious, creations."

He had to actively concentrate on not drooling, the thought of food was that strong with him, even though he wasn't hungry. "Trust me, we may seem like these powerful beings, but we are just normal citizens too. Some people build, others cook, we fight". And with that little nugget of unitentional wisdom he took another swig from the mug. "But between you and me, I prefer the food." He added, folding his hands behind his head and sitting back. "Although that might be the bear talking." He joked.
Last edited by Viktor on October 19th, 2010, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viktor

Character sheet

Postby Ykala on October 18th, 2010, 3:26 am

"Bonded pairs? I'm not sure I know what you mean. Do you need to find a mate then before you can perform your duties?" Ykala looked at Viktor with almost a look of worry, as if he had mentioned he had some life threatening illness. She did not mean mate as in 'bondmate', but rather the literal term. Ykala didn't know much about Kelvics at all, except that they could possess both an animal and human form. She wasn't even sure which form was natural or dominant. "Well, I suppose vegetables aren't much in comparison to beef. I have no complaints about them."

Ykala nodded again, her sudden appearance of fear or anguish towards the Kelvic seemed to subside as if it never existed at all. Merely a miscommunication, surely. [color=tan]"Yes, I am Winterflame, but I personally cannot cook well to be honest. I help run this place, I suppose that makes me more of a businesswoman than a cook, barmaid, or anything of the like." Ykala shrugged, she knew that learning to cook would be a valuable skill in her line of work, which meant it was likely to spring up in her near future. "I apologize if you expect any such marvelous creations from me." Ykala chuckled lightly. "It's typically accurate to assume those from the Winterflame Hold to have such skill. But I, as I mentioned, I am a businesswoman."

Ykala stood up from her seat again, nodding lightly as he mentioned his job 'to fight.' The way he spoke about it made it seem so simple, so trivial, so mundane. Nobody, except those that lived the lives of Icewatch perhaps, thoughts their job was as common or normal as the rest of Avanthal. They made sure everyone lived to do their jobs. "I suppose you do not respect yourself as much as we respect you. Nobody respects themselves as much as they should. We see our mistakes that only we can see, others see our achievements instead. Perhaps if I knew your deepest, darkest secrets I would think you were a simple laborer as myself." Ykala's face had a mocking grim seriousness to it as she stared at Viktor, then a smile broke through again, revealing white teeth in hearty laughter. "Another mug sir? I feel generous enough for one more free drink if you can bless me with a tale."
Ykala
Unwanted

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Minosayaa on October 18th, 2010, 10:45 pm

Mino bounded in with her normal peppy-ness. Darrus was off birthing raindeer or something like that, and had told her to go make some friends, who wern't sled dogs. She was a tiny thing, or at least she was as a human...

She looked around many men were here, getting that word, something-faced... Shh? She couldn't remember... She had been told it was a naughty word and had been told to not use it. So she had put it from her mind quickly.
Someone caught her eye. Minosayaa wandered over to the large man, he gave off a kelvic-ish aura. "You're huge!!" She said quite bluntly with a childish smile, had her master been here he'd of pulled her aside for a scolding.
If there is rain tomorrow
I wonder where you will take me.
Surely if I'm with you
That alone will make me happy.

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Words: 51933
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2010, 5:54 am
Character sheet

Postby Viktor on October 19th, 2010, 12:52 am

"I'm sorry, I should have explained more about my kind. Although I think that I would rather talk about it some other time." Viktor said with an embarresed look on his face. Being around the Icewatch for all his life he had grown accustomed to people arleady knowing about the circumstances surrounding him. As she explained her position he finished the last of his mug and nodded. "So instead of cooking the food, you are better at making people want to buy the food?" He asked, making sure he had the facts straight. Still, it struck him as odd that someone from the Winterflame hold wasn't as skilled in cooking as he would expect.

When it came back to this elevated respect people had for the Icewatch, he tried to view it from the eyes of someone on the outside, to no avail. "We all do our parts, and while some seem harder than others, we would be useless without the aid of all the other people. It's like my trainers used to say; We are nothing but the product of all the holds. You take the weapons and armor made from the Iceglaze hold, the care and healing from the Whitevine and Frostfawn holds, the food from the Winterflame and Coolwater holds, and the inspiration of the works of the Snowsong and Skyglow holds, and you mix them all up. That is the Icewatch. I guess I'm not helping my case, but to me, it is humbling, to realize that we depend on all of you, as much as, if not more than, you all depend on us". The words sounded different in his own voice, almost alien.

At the mention of another drink however, he brightened up. He was about to respond when from out of the blue he heard another female voice, 'You're huge!'. He turned to see a short girl with black hair and copper eyes. "If you think I am big now, you should see me when I am a bear!" He cried with another round of hearty laughter. There was little he hadn't heard when it came to his appearence and nothing bothered him. "If you would care to take a seat, I was just about to tell a story to Miss... I don't believe I got your name." He noted, turning back to the woman seated beside him. "Nor did I give you mine, my apologies. I am Viktor". He extended his hand for a handshake, wondering how he could have gone this long without formalities.
Last edited by Viktor on October 19th, 2010, 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Viktor

Character sheet

Postby Minosayaa on October 19th, 2010, 1:28 am

"Vik-torrrr,"she shook his hand with both of hers. "Minosayaa is the name Darrus gave me, but before that my Momma called me Emivl! She was big too! Ice watch bear that's what she is." Mino nodded to herself. "I'mma sled dog for Frostfawn!" She sat down beside the large polar man, swinging her legs like a child. She wondered what Darrus was doing, thinking, and feeling. It was odd to be without him. Mino gave a low yodel-ish howl...
If there is rain tomorrow
I wonder where you will take me.
Surely if I'm with you
That alone will make me happy.

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Words: 51933
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2010, 5:54 am
Character sheet

Next